Rut Nut 29-Jul-23
dpms 29-Jul-23
Rut Nut 18-Aug-23
hawkeye in PA 18-Aug-23
Rut Nut 18-Aug-23
07-May-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
I have a pair of Rocky 17” snakeboots that I no longer wear. Still in very good condition- FREE to anyone who will give them a good home. Only reason I no longer wear them is I got a different style and also have knee high rubber snakeboots and gaiters. So don’t need a 4th pair.

I figured instead of them collecting dust in my closet, they should go to someone who could put them to good use.

If you are interested, send me a private message and we can make arrangements to get them to you. Really hope someone can use them!

07-May-23
They gotta stink tho. LOL.

07-May-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
LOL! But NO- I use this stuff in all my shoes/boots Art! ;-)

08-May-23
I got a PM that brought up a good point. I will NOT give these boots away to anyone who will participate in a snake "hunt" unless they promise NOT to catch and release(live) these (sometimes) nasty critters back into the wild. You may think that is odd, but I have a very good reason for this and am very adamant about it! A few years ago I found out about a Penn St. biologist and rattlesnake expert who works with the Pipeline companies up in the Marcellas Shale region. They call her in whenever they need snakes removed. Apparently what she is finding, is that the snakes that are getting handled repeatedly(either by relocating or at these popular snake hunting contests where they bag the snakes, then release them unharmed after the contests) are being conditioned to NOT rattle. She suggests that over the years this constant handling is causing the snakes to become less likely to rattle and give away their positions.....................especially in the areas popular with the snake hunts. But she said this may also be a trait that is passed along genetically to their offspring. She claims that the prevalence of the timber rattler actually rattling is becoming less and less over the years(in the wild).................................................

Therefore in good conscience, I cannot give these boots to anyone who intends to release Timber Rattlers back into the wild ALIVE after handling them. I do not want to be a part of conditioning these snakes to NOT rattle, as I believe this was a big reason I got bit! And I do not want to see(or hear of) anyone going thru the HELL I went thru! Hope y'all understand!

I am NOT against anyone who hunts snakes and actually kills them for their use, however.

08-May-23
Perry I think you ought to become a snake educator. Can't be to hard teaching them their roots again...............rattleling. Then you'd feel safe again along with the rest of us:)

08-May-23
Great information. I wonder, did the rattlers go to public school? Once they were indoctrinated did they no longer identify as rattlers or just bi-curious snakes? Asking for a friend.

08-May-23
LOL guys! I won’t be going out LOOKING for any rattlers, but if I happen to see one I will do a bit more than just “educate” it! ;-)

But seriously, I think this is an important issue, in that most people I talk to are pretty nonchalant about it and just ASSUME that a rattle snake ALWAYS rattles if you get too close to it. Which is clearly NOT the case, at least with TIMBER rattlesnakes! I now ask everyone I talk to who has seen one, if it rattled? And 8 out of every 10 people I have talked to in the last 4+ years have said NO! : (

15-May-23
Anybody?

I have one possible recipient but I would have to mail the boots. Trying not to do that if possible. If I get someone in Central Pa, Northwest Pa or Northeast Pa and we can meet or I can drop them off somewhere that would be preferable. Just send me a PM. Hoping to get this done by the end of the month............

15-May-23

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
This guy said to say hi. Last year turkey hunting I saw him or her. Actually I heard him, I was standing on a small ledge about 2 ft high and he started ratting right below me. I think walking to stand on top of the ledge, I may of kick some dirt or so on him to make him rattle.

15-May-23
LOL! Glad you heard him! I’m not as concerned with the ones that announce their presence...................it’s the sneaky little bastards that never rattle that bother me! : (

Was that in the Fall Ed?

15-May-23
No last spring turkey

15-May-23
Oh, ok. You said “walking to stand” so thought maybe it was a Fall Turkey/deer combo hunt............................

28-Jul-23

dpms's embedded Photo
dpms's embedded Photo
Well Perry. Here is the Timber Rattler that your boots protected me from. I fulfilled a bucket list hunt for me with a 46 inch black phase male. Thanks so much for the boots. We saw six snakes total and tagged this one. The fellow that took me said we were very fortunate to find the quality of snakes that we found that morning, Three of the six were legal.

28-Jul-23
Glad you put them to good use! Yeah, that looks like it’s got a pretty nice girth..............

2 questions- what makes them legal? Total length? Number of rattles? And what are you planning on doing with it?

28-Jul-23
Perry, number of rattles are irrelevant. They gotta be 42 inches o.a.l. with 21 or more subcaudel scales... belly side scales between the anal vent and tail. This means there's a better chance it's a male. They'd rather males were harvested than females.

28-Jul-23
Thanks Jeff. So I guess you gotta handle them to find out- NO THANKS! : (

29-Jul-23
Yes. You got to get up close and personal with them to see if they are legal. Mine was 46, not counting the rattles, and had 23 subcaudal scales. The guy that was took me often does education with them so he handles them a lot. Once you know how to do it the right way, it becomes much easier to put your hands on them. I held three of the six that we found. As far the what I am doing with it. I just pulled the skin out of the tan and have it drying now. I plan to pin it to a board for display. The meat was used for tacos and the rest I put on a salad. I de-boned it all after a low and slow simmer. It was very good. Tasted like pork to me.

The guy that took me said that was my snake with him. He said he would be happy to take me looking again but no more kills. He only lets someone kill one that he is involved with. It lit a fire for sure. I would love to do this again and maybe try for a yellow phase to go with the black. I just need to find someone else to go with or I have to try it on my own.

29-Jul-23
Oh, ok- so you’re tanning it yourself?

So tasted like pork? Not chicken? LOL! ;-)

29-Jul-23
Rut. Yes, tanning myself. 50/50 mix of alcohol and glycerin for 5-7 days after fleshing the skin.

18-Aug-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Just had to share this somebody sent me today...................gotta love the FAR SIDE!

18-Aug-23
Rut, did you catch any of the story where a Arizona man gave a rattler some water during his hike?

18-Aug-23
Yeah, what a dumb@$$! I would have given it something to EAT.................a hot load of .410 #8! ;-)

• Sitka Gear