New York
Contributors to this thread:
onepin 10-Jun-23
erict 11-Jun-23
onepin 12-Jun-23
erict 22-Sep-23
Al Dente Laptop 24-Sep-23
10-Jun-23
Just curious on if you get a permit for all season with a doctors noteas a non-resident. work injury prevents me from pulling the bow back and i like to hunt early October and here in Ct my son cocks the crossbow for me but i really enjoy New York. Any info?? im looking online but figured to try here also thx

11-Jun-23

erict's Link
You are not eligible for a NY Modified Crossbow Permit, you may be eligible for a NY Modified Longbow Authorization. Those qualifying for either will need a significantly modified implement. If you want to use a crossbow for game in NY then you will be "limited" to the general crossbow rules, regs and seasons. Click the link to see details from NYSDEC on your only options.

12-Jun-23
THANK YOU SIR FOR THE INFO

22-Sep-23

erict's Link
Well, I stand corrected. It used to be that the only way to hunt with a crossbow during the entire archery season was with a modified crossbow, which was released by use of a breath tube and mostly applied to quadrapalegics or similar persons with extreme limitations. The only other permit was a Modified Longbow Permit, which, when a doctors note was supplied, allowed the use of a device attached to a bow that held the arrow at full draw. I was recently told that DEC now has a "non-modified crossbow permit", which allows one to use an UNMODIFIED crossbow during the entire archery season. These permits must be applied for annually. As I heard it, over 1000 of these permits have been issued this year, and another 600 or so are pending approval. The details can be found in the link.

24-Sep-23
What I have heard is that the only requirement is a doctor signing off on it, and it is NOT annual. Once you have it, you have it for eternity. The DEC's lawyers challenged the status on the grounds of ADA compliance. Which, I do not understand, since the Modified Crossbow Permit, and Modified Longbow Permit, always have been in compliance with the ADA. more nonsense from the DEC. Doctor's note, check. Read 4 paragraphs in the Syllabus, check. Congratulations, you're a bowhunter.

• Sitka Gear