Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo

13-Jun-23
Now that I’m thinking about it, I realize that it has been quite a long time since I really thought about getting after largemouths. I don’t really like to beat up on them too much when they’re on their nests… But a little bit, now and then ;)

I got into a PILE of schoolies the other night, though…. Some nice eating-size blues, too. Tonight was tougher; I wanted to use the 9-wt, but the breeze was a bit much. Too much bait around to attract any attention without a popper, and too much onshore breeze to throw one very far.

And I’ve gotta say - the sunset tonight was mind-blowing….

14-Jun-23
Those are great bass Shawn! Looks like fun trip!

14-Jun-23
Getting ready to head up to lake Champlain. Fishing is usually out of this world. With any luck I'll get my new boat back.....that's another story

14-Jun-23
Shawn,nice one

14-Jun-23

Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
Those are some really solid fish! The only freshwater fishing I’ve done this year has been for trout. Have been out a couple times for stripers though.

14-Jun-23

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Little one from Sunday night
Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Little one from Sunday night
I was talking to a guy who works out of the Norwalk Orvis shop last week, and he said they were getting them from 20 to 40 pounds. And there’s a kid who works at a shop nearby I saw a picture of… He had taken one (on a bunker chunk) which was bigger than the top end of the slot.

14-Jun-23
I've been seeing 50+ ponders here in south long island sound spearfishing. Too big to shoot. I'll be going to block island and fishers island more to chase the migration. Sorry to say it but most of CT has seen the push of the migration already

14-Jun-23
Honestly, I am thankful for every minute I get out there…

Kind of a Bucket List item to fly-fish the flats up on the Cape…

14-Jun-23
Swamp, how difficult is it to tell which fish are 28-31 inches while spearfishing?

14-Jun-23
Removing bad information, lest my ignorance become contagious

14-Jun-23

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
Nice largemouths Shawn. I’ve had an excellent spring fishing for smallmouth in the CT river north of Hartford.

14-Jun-23
Nice fish everyone!

15-Jun-23

Woodsnut's embedded Photo
Woodsnut's embedded Photo
Been doing well so far-both salt/ fresh water. Enjoying the Jackson kayak

15-Jun-23
Corax, I don’t know where you’re seeing anywhere that the slot limit doesn’t apply. That wouldn’t make any sense with what their goal is with the striped bass fishery. You might want to double check that…

15-Jun-23
Removing bad information, lest my ignorance become contagious.

Yes, not only wrong, but persistently so. Apologies.

15-Jun-23
Shawn, Wearing camo, background is blacked out. Must be an illegal spot. Lol! Those are always the best spots. Good fishin!

15-Jun-23
Smooth just don’t want to give up my honey hole!!

15-Jun-23
Corax, the slot limit is 28”-31” regardless of how you catch the fish.

Swamp, can you please elaborate how that works for all of us here? Thanks.

Some really nice fish guys!! Keep the pics coming.

15-Jun-23
Removing bad information, lest my ignorance become contagious.

Yes, not only wrong, but persistently so. Apologies.

Getting tired of repeating myself, but I paid good money for this one! LOL@myself - no offense if you guys feel like joining in ;)

15-Jun-23
Corax that’s a federal slot limit. It’s all up and down the whole East Coast I believe.

15-Jun-23
Yes same in MA

15-Jun-23
OH…

Well, that’s good to know, then… So now I’m trying to find the post which I took to say otherwise….. ???

I’m not up on the regs outside of my own back yard anymore, since I don’t generally travel to hunt/fish… but I’m glad that the Fed IS regulating the migratories, because…. Migratory.

There - I went back and pulled the earlier posts….

16-Jun-23
NJ has apparently decided not to participate in the 28-31” slot. It remains to be seen how the Feds will deal with this.

16-Jun-23
Ace that sucks!!! A lot of big fish are being released in Long Island sound

16-Jun-23
There’s so many stripers around, they would be just fine with relaxing the slot…. They are everywhere.

16-Jun-23

Swamp_Donkey's embedded Photo
This was from Long Island yesterday. They still haven’t implemented the new slot. Still shooting 28-35” out there. This one was 33”. But after a lot of practice I know how to shoot a 28-31” slot window. I knew this fish was going to be either 33 or 34 inches.

16-Jun-23

16-Jun-23

Our screens were looking like this earlier in the year. The thick of it has headed east.

16-Jun-23

Coondog's embedded Photo
CT
Coondog's embedded Photo
CT
Coondog's embedded Photo
RI
Coondog's embedded Photo
RI
Coondog's embedded Photo
NY
Coondog's embedded Photo
NY
Coondog's embedded Photo
NJ
Coondog's embedded Photo
NJ

16-Jun-23
Swamp, you’re incorrect. That new slot went into effect immediately when they imposed it.

16-Jun-23
Swamp ,Nice fish; way to go.

16-Jun-23
Last largemouth that I got was a 3 pounder a few weeks ago while fishing for redfish, speckled trout and sheepshead in the brackish water of the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet (Mister Go) in Hopedale LA. Down here locally they are called green trout and that fish was caught on a live shrimp. Always know when I have a bass on as they like to jump. My trip out last weekend didn't produce any bass, but I did bring home one decent redfish and 2 goodsized sheepshead fishing from my Kayak in MRGO.

16-Jun-23
That last picture made me grin a little…. I caught (AND RELEASED!!) a 33” a few years ago and it didn’t look that big!! ;)

LOL

16-Jun-23
And a follow up on the general topic of fishing… May as well keep it in one place…

Especially when you know there are decent-sized Blues around, do you guys use a blues-proof shock tippet, or does that mess up the action of a plug? Or a big popper fly like a boilermaker, for that matter…. I recently picked up a lifetime supply of American Fishing Wire - it’s pretty stout, but I just spooled a rod with braid for the first time and I think I saw somewhere that you want to keep a mono leader on that stuff. Given the cost of flies and plugs these days, a couple inches of wire out there seems like cheap insurance….

17-Jun-23
CL, Swamp is long arming the fish which gives you that illusion....

17-Jun-23
Yeah, I just thought I’d tease him about it, because a fish that nice doesn’t need any help ;)

18-Jun-23
Well, I took some time today with Thing Two and we lit up some Sunnies on sponge-bugs and poppers. He was busier learning to cast a fly than catching fish, but always good to have a break ;)

And not-for-nothin’, but the old Lee Wulff Triangle taper was a bit of a revelation….

18-Jun-23

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
Enjoyed an afternoon on the boat Friday.

19-Jun-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Huge crappie!
Shawn's embedded Photo
Huge crappie!

19-Jun-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo

19-Jun-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Let’s go!!

19-Jun-23
Nice! I don’t think I’ve seen a crappie since I moved out here!

19-Jun-23
Shawn, awesome!! That reminds me when I was kid pond hopping. Cool!!

19-Jun-23

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
Nice Fish all!! Floated down river on the kayaks for some river smallmouth with kids for Fathers Day. Hard fighting and acrobatic fish!!

19-Jun-23

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
Hey shawn this is a bass lol!!

19-Jun-23
Awesome Striper Silverado!!

19-Jun-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
My daughter got her personal best on a father's day fishing trip.

19-Jun-23

soapdish's embedded Photo
Here's a Champlain Smalley, 3.75 lb. That lake is phenomenal. My new boat blew the power head, so my buddy let me borrow his bass boat.....that may or may not star lol. Needless to say we didn't go far from the launch. We still did ok considering. You don't realize how big that lake is until you only have a trolling motor.

19-Jun-23
That’s a GINORMOUS Smallie..,

Wow.

20-Jun-23
One can get pretty spoiled up there. Catch 2 to 3.75 lbs all day most times. Plus, you never know what's going to bite on the next cast. Could be a walleye, pike, largemouth. Crazy

20-Jun-23
Champlain is great fishing. For years my dad and I fished the LCI tourney during father's day week. Great time to go. Only bad thing, all the cotton from the cottonwood trees on the water. Had to re-spool almost every day. Great fish guys.

20-Jun-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
I can’t stand that cottonwood. Every cast ripping it off the line. It sticks to it too. Nice fish guys! Massive striper Dave!!!

20-Jun-23
Gene I fished out of Port Sulphur two weeks ago. We too were using shrimp for bait. A bunch of small reds drums. One nice 25# black drum. It was a little windy which turned up the water. I was hoping to use the fly rod for a big red but that didn't happen.

20-Jun-23
NW.....the cottonwood can be a real pain in the arse, it's like clockwork up there. There's one lawn that looks like it just snowed. I've been doing the derby for 31 years with the same core group of guys. Three generations at a time. It's the wind that can really suck lol

21-Jun-23

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
I was fishing inside Cape Cod Bay on Monday and had huge fishing totally jumping completely out of the water. They were over 3 feet long. Kept drifting live mackerel without any hits. Then heard on the radio guys talking about the Sturgeon jumping. So I guess Sturgeon are thriving in salt water.

Crazy amount of them too

Caught this Striper while trying to figure out what the jumping fish were.

21-Jun-23
“Caught this Striper while trying to figure out what the jumping fish were.”

Well, at least you were able to find a way to pass the time…. ;)

Nice fish!

Silverado’s is just ridiculous big… Any guess how many pounds and inches on these puppies?

22-Jun-23
52 lb

22-Jun-23
Have a friend visiting from out of state next week. He's buying a 1 day fishing license. He's a fly fisherman. Besides the Pomperaug, where can I get him on some trout closeby ?

22-Jun-23
I recommend the Housatonic along the Sharon/Cornwall side of Rt7, or the Farmington River near Pleasant Valley.

22-Jun-23
“52 lb”

I shot a deer that big here in CT…

LOL

Bruiser!

22-Jun-23
Boat fish don't count..lol

22-Jun-23
Cmon now. Silverado is 4’12” tall. That fish is also 4’12” ;)

Sweet bass!

23-Jun-23
Notme it still counts.

23-Jun-23
CTbobcat, Fish the Farmington, it has been really good as of late. New Hartford area was just stocked with some big rainbow trout. Farmingtonriver.com. Upcountry Sportfishing is really knowledgeable. A great store to get some tips and flies.

23-Jun-23

Tall 1's embedded Photo
Tall 1's embedded Photo
Just got back from a few days of smallie fishing up north.

25-Jun-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
12” Crappie today

26-Jun-23
Spike you left a hanging curveball....and notme is at the plate lol

26-Jun-23

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/DAcfOWaFSek

26-Jun-23
Not me never disappoints

26-Jun-23

39 1/2" from the CT river last month...... from shore

27-Jun-23
Great catch Soapdish!

27-Jun-23
Ty. It was phenomenal back in the early 90's. We used to chase em down with top water plugs up and down the river as they busted the surface. With some pushing 50".

28-Jun-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
So the same thing happened to the stripers that happened to the deer. Over abundance and over harvesting…

28-Jun-23
Sprinkle in some technology to boot. Livescope, panoptix etc.... the internet. Randy Blauket (pro bass guy) has a you tube channel. He spoke about electronics and fishing. Live forward facing panoptix etc...for the pros, he pointed out poachers have the same technology. Now off to Cabela's to get my panoptix for my new Garmin lol. Not a poacher though

29-Jun-23
The biomass of stripers is so massive….they are everywhere. They eat everything.

29-Jun-23
Makes you wonder what the population looked like historically… You know how people thought we could never run out of whales or bison or passenger pigeons and all those others which we managed to wipe out.

And with all of those whales gone, no longer eating bunker and blue-backs and alewives… you’d think that the blue-backs and alewives should have a shot at a comeback if we could just get them back to a good, clean spawning ground…

So I guess the forage base can support many more tons of predators…. And I don’t know the history of the commercial Striper fishing industry…. Maybe none of us are old enough to know what a “natural” population of bass looks like?

It’s nice to imagine, at least, that there could be a population much larger than we had ever imagined :D

29-Jun-23
There are so many stripers around right now, that a lot of you wouldn’t remember when you could barely catch one. There are so many stripers around right now… you can go to almost any marina in CT or RI, cut up some squid and catch as many stripers as you want…..

29-Jun-23
My thought. - we have good population at moment. As the climate changes and water temps warm - perhaps they will move north die off- maybe we have new fish from down south move up -,ie drum - either way I just enjoying while can - and if can just tag 1 doe. Another great year

29-Jun-23
Yeah, you’d think warmer water would be good for accelerating growth, provided that the forage base can survive the temps….

It all REALLY makes me wonder what this world will look like by the time my grandkids are my age - assuming that there will be any….

“a lot of you wouldn’t remember when you could barely catch one. ”

That sounds a lot like the entire 25 years I’ve been out here! I’ve somehow managed to spend only a small fraction of the time on the water that I’d hoped to when I arrived, but a wife, a coupla kids and a job will do that to a guy…

So I’m try to enjoy everything that I can, while I can. I’m now older than my dad’s father ever got to be, so I’m trying not to take too much for granted….

02-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Keep ‘em coming! Here’s a 4 I caught tonight!

02-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Huge crappie!!
Shawn's embedded Photo
Huge crappie!!

02-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo

02-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo

02-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo

02-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo

03-Jul-23
Is that 6 different fish??

03-Jul-23

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
My grand son and son-in-law

03-Jul-23
I love that your grandson isn’t long-arming it!

Elbows, or it never happened!!! LOL

05-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Steve 5. I accidentally posted one twice but yes all different fish! This guy swallowed the hook…

08-Jul-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
13” Crappie today pretty sweet

08-Jul-23

Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo
Early morning trip this morning for trout and smallies!

08-Jul-23

Blood's embedded Photo
Blood's embedded Photo
Not to be outdone by the Coondog….. ;)

09-Jul-23
nothing on earth like a river.... nice fish

09-Jul-23
Spike that’s a huge crappie!!

09-Jul-23

Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Shawn's embedded Photo
Here’s some more from tonight!!

10-Jul-23
If you have a picture you want to post, take a screenshot of it. Then you can crop out of that screenshot what you don't want to see above and below the actual picture. Then if you upload that photo from your screenshot folder, it will be upright every time.

10-Jul-23
This ^^

15-Jul-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
Upped it today to 14 1/4” on this crappie. I’ve always been a bass fisherman but love going for big crappie!

15-Jul-23
? Your tape says less than 13". Tape is an inch or more past tail.

15-Jul-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
It appears that way due to the angle. I measured that fish multiple times and got 14” plus each time.

15-Jul-23
It’s impossible to hold the tape measure flat at the mouth and tail while taking a picture at the same time but I originally did it that way before the picture. Unfortunately you have to rest the tape measure on the side and it makes it above the mouth and tail making it look like it’s shorter. I will be ordering a measuring board to take care of this issue as I’m sending in for catch and release awards. I’m hoping the state doesn’t look at it the same way you did but if so I guess I will have to catch another when I get the board in.

15-Jul-23
Yup, now it's an inch past mouth. Never seen anyone long arm a tape before. Lol. Nice fish.

16-Jul-23
Ok Brian this was driving me nuts lol so I took some measurements on things. With the angle they both look longer than the end but are directly above it.

16-Jul-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo

16-Jul-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo

16-Jul-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo

16-Jul-23

spike78's embedded Photo
spike78's embedded Photo
I’m happy with the results case closed ha. Next fish will be with a legit fish measuring board.

16-Jul-23
Geeeeez,I'm glad Ron Jeremy wasn't arguing the point...lol

16-Jul-23
LMAO!

16-Jul-23
Lay the fish on top of the tape.

16-Jul-23
Notme now that’s when I’d be embellishing the real length ha

17-Jul-23

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/6xljA6zJn4I

17-Jul-23
I never fast forwarded through a video so fast in my life.....I can't unsee that now.

• Sitka Gear