Doughboy 02-Aug-23
Paul@thefort 03-Aug-23
Stoneman 03-Aug-23
Jaquomo 03-Aug-23
Stoneman 03-Aug-23
Jaquomo 03-Aug-23
Paul@thefort 04-Aug-23
10-Jul-23
Hey, all. I've lived and hunted in the Southeast my entire life. Mostly Tennessee and South Carolina. There's a chance we'll be moving to Colorado and everything is so different out there, hunting wise. So I've got a few questions to help me understand what I'd be getting myself into. We just spent a week there and loved everything about it.

By the way, I post absolutely nothing on any social media about hunting. So I won't be adding any contributions to the overcrowding and tag creep to your state. I just hunt, enjoy it, and will call/text friends and family about my success. No need to tell 10k strangers I killed something in Colorado.

All I see online is people talking about backpacking deep into the backcountry and camping for a week or more. That seems fun and I'd love to do it one day but in the meantime, I won't have a buddy there to do it with. A lot can go wrong on an adventure like that so for safety it'd be best to have a friend or 2. So is it possible to have success with a mule deer or elk hunt by just camping near my truck, going into the woods to hunt sunrise to sunset, and returning to the truck? I camp and hunt for deer/turkeys in South Carolina often but it's way different here.

I'm not expecting trophy animals while hunting public land and drawing easy tags. Just want to have some doe muley or cow elk meat for now. I'll worry about preference points for a better hunt in later years after I've gained some experience on Western hunting, then try for a big buck/bull.

And as far as the draw goes, am I reading it right that some years I could go an entire season not having the opportunity to deer hunt? It seems there are elk zones that offer OTC tags for anyone who wants them, and I expect those zones to be very high pressure and frustrating, but at least I get to go and learn. What about the mule deer? Even if I'm willing to accept a less desired unit, is it possible I still won't draw a tag some seasons? Or does pretty much everyone have a shot at a leftover tag if they want it?

I plan to mostly bow hunt. Looks like somewhere around Colorado Springs is where we'd move to as it has the most job opportunity in my line of work.

10-Jul-23
Are your political leanings Left or Right?

10-Jul-23
"Even if I'm willing to accept a less desired unit, is it possible I still won't draw a tag some seasons? "

Possible yes anything is possible but unlikely. If you build a strong understanding of the draw system and are willing to hunt less desirable tags there's no excuse to not have a elk, deer, and pronghorn tag every year as a resident. Use your points as often as possible and learn as much as you can about tags that can be drawn 2nd choice and you'll find plenty of hunting.

10-Jul-23
Welcome

I have lived in Colorado Springs 25 years. It's been growing and continues to grow. I see many big apartment buildings being built. I'm glad I'm not looking to buy a house with the current prices. But I'm not planning on selling and leaving. Rent is also expensive.

Deer tags have been limited for years now but you can get tags. Study drawing odds and leftovers. Doe tags are available in some units.

I don't backpack in often anymore. It's not necessary and often almost as busy. My current favorite places are less than an hour hike, When you learn a unit you will find your own places to hunt.

I camp in an RV.

11-Jul-23

Keepitreal's Link
I'll go ahead and give you some free advise from one fellow hunter to another but first I'll say welcome! As you may already know, this state if facing some challenges. Inform yourself of those challenges and get involved in them for the benefit of the hunting community, assuming you aren't an imposter.

To add to the above mentioned good advise. You can have plenty of fun and success in sub par or even OTC units as long as you are not physically challenged, are willing to spend time to learn the unit and the patterns of the game in the unit. But even if you aren't able then you should still have fun and can still be successful. You should also be willing and know how to take apart an animal and pack it out on your back or with pack animals. If not, then I would suggest you educate and train yourself in those regards.

I would also suggest that you answer Jaquomo's question if you want some good information from those who've been around the block in this part of the hood. But only if you answer it correctly ;)

Get the right gear and enjoy what this great place still has to offer before they try to change the border to the shape of a circle. But try to be appreciative of it. Pick up any old flag tape and bury your toilet paper.

Oh and you might find this devise to be pretty handy.

11-Jul-23
Jaquomo - definitely right. Maybe my family can help shift Colorado away from purple and to more of a red color.

11-Jul-23
Jaquomo - definitely right. Maybe my family can help shift Colorado away from purple and to more of a red color.

11-Jul-23
I used to laugh at the Colorado Springs traffic reports when I moved here from north of Salt Lake. I'm not laughing any more.

Are you from the city or country? If you are used to the small-town life you probably won't be happy in Colorado Springs. Also, I've known a few people from warm climates who couldn't adapt to our short summers.

11-Jul-23
We absolutely hate the heat and our high humidity. From 2016-2019 we lived in MN and while that Winter is extreme, we enjoyed that more than the heat and humidity of the South. Colder Winter and shorter Summer are two things we'd love. The Summer weather we experienced in Colorado last week was a dream compared to what we're used to for 5 months of the year.

Neither of us like being in the city and plan to live as far on the outskirts as we can while still being close enough for a reasonable commute to work for me. We also can't be too remote as we are raising 2 daughters and want them to have friends.

The main thing I think I'll have a hard time getting used to is just being dealt x number of deer tags and 3 months to fill them with the weapon allowed during the time I'm hunting. I don't muzzleloader hunt, only bow and rifle. So it looks like I'll have a fun September then I'll have one week for rifle if I draw a tag. Then that's all the big game hunting I get to do.

What do yall do for the other weeks of hunting season? Hunt ducks, small game, and trout fish? Doesn't like like a bad plan, just wondering.

11-Jul-23
Look at the regs carefully as most of the midwest and south has far more hunting and fishing opportunities than Colorado, that you can actually take advantage of, every year. Better to just visit. The best part of the west is the lo humidity, but it is too hot in the summer. This summer so far has been cooler than usual.

11-Jul-23
Learn to quarter and carry game

Pick a unit with good draw odds and a accessible public land

Scout the shit out of it, you'll find good spots. Deer in general will be easier to get near your truck/ require less of a hike.

Be wary of jaq... he's a self proclaimed private land tresspsasser

11-Jul-23
“ What do yall do for the other weeks of hunting season? ”

I hunt other states

11-Jul-23
As a NR, I hunted CO for 13 years until they decided to turn the unit I hunted into draw so rifle hunters would have a better opportunity. A couple of years my partner and I rented horses and packed 12 miles into Mt Zerkel wilderness. We saw fewer elk than when we hunted out of our truck camp in the south west. Don't let anyone tell you that that there aren't 320 and 330 bulls in the OTC units.

11-Jul-23
We have an eastern plains deer season similar to what you are used to for deer. It closes a couple times for rifle but basically is Oct-Dec. Finding a good spot out east takes a little effort.

Good goose hunting, decent duck hunting but not as much water as the SE. Coyote hunting is good.

One big change you will likely find if living on the front range is there isn't a lot of quick morning/evening hunts. Most stuff eats up a day or a weekend due to travel.

Lots of good hunting and fishing opportunities in surrounding states.

Colorado has changed dramatically in the last few decades but still has a lot of opportunity outdoors. If the wolves don't eat too many elk you should find plenty of hunting.

12-Jul-23
If I was relocating it wouldn’t be to Colorado Springs or Colorado for that matter if I wanted to supplement my family life with western hunting opportunities.

If your work dictates that you relocate to Colorado then I would spend as much time researching Co. as say Nebraska, or the other bordering states for hunting options.

Oh and btw Co. is not purple. It doesn’t resemble anything close to what it was even 10 years ago when it was purple. Yet there is still great hunting and fishing if you figure out how to navigate the hurdles.

If you want to eat your mule deer, research units east of I25 with agricultural. There are state lands that still hold some deer and they have white tails too (You are what you eat)

You’re still young so it certainly is possible. Try to find someone your age that you are compatible with and a similar amount of time devoted to the type of hunting you’re looking for. Two heads are better than one. A reliable hunting partner can be priceless especially on pack in trips.

Best of luck!

12-Jul-23
Welcome.

Have you looked at real estate/house prices in the area you think you can get a job? This is usually the wake up call for folks wanting to move to CO after experiencing its beauty and weather for a week or 2? It's expensive and everyone wants to live far enough away from major metro areas but still in commuting distance so that's not cheap. You may have to live in suburbia and suck it up. The good thing is your investment will only increase in value as everyone is moving here.

With that said on the front range you have the mountains for recreation and elk hunting to the west and the plains to the east for deer, antelope and pheasant. It's all within a reasonable drive but like said above it's not a before or after work hunt. You also have Kansas and Nebraska as options as well as NM and WY if you can draw a damn tag. Living on the front range is a sacrifice but it's also a great middle ground for everything offered east, west, north and south.

The front range has a lot of jobs but partially because people can't afford to live there and have those jobs too. Unfortunately we are and always will be a blue state because of the population of Denver and Boulder alone. Their demographics always dictate the elections while the other 75% of the state is red. It's definitely not the state it was 25 years ago but it's still a good place to live and depending on where you settle, raise kids. I'm never sad to come home to Colorado from visiting elsewhere.

Take those girls out east with a Platt Map or landowner app and knock on doors. You will find places to hunt with the kids. Target the smaller parcel landowners as the larger landowners usually lease to outfitters. Don't be afraid to ask. The worst they can say is no. The further you get east from the front range the more success you will have. My kids have enjoyed access to incredible private land hunting just by us asking.

Good luck with your move. I don't think you'll regret it.

PS- Get your CO drivers license as soon as you move and have an address. The sooner you have residency the sooner you can get cheaper tags and better draw odds. If you're coming from a state with lifetime licenses buy them before you leave.

13-Jul-23
Not trying to talk you out of moving to CO. It is probably everything you think it is, but more crowded than you can imagine. If you are going to pick up and move your family. See if there are opportunities in other western states. I moved here about 25 years ago from OK. If I had it to do all over again I think I would have picked ID or WY. Mostly because of hunting, politics, and less people. Again not talking you out of CO just suggesting you check out a few other places before you make a big move.

Also ignore SoccermommyNY above he is everything that is wrong with CO. Lou/Jaq is not a trespasser and don't tell him I said it but is a good dude ;)

13-Jul-23
"Be wary of jaq... he's a self proclaimed private land tresspsasser"

If walking up to a ranch house, knocking on the door like a man, shaking the rancher's hand (again, what an adult man would do) and politely asking permission to hunt while offering to help with some ranch work is considered "tresspsassing" by some no-nothing loser from New York, then yes, I am guilty. And thats why I have access to hunt multiple contiguous ranches, all posted with No Trespassing signs, and soccermommy does not. Lol!

13-Jul-23
Lou…I received permission to hunt 2 parcels of land just as you described. In both cases they told me to hunt but I didn’t have to work. I show up regularly through out the year and work without being asked. The smile on their faces says it all when they see me working on their property. This was 5 years ago and the landowners tell others that I have it leased.

13-Jul-23
PM sent. I can teach you how to commit all sorts of crimes against humanity! An outfitter I knew, and briefly guided for, was spreading a lie that I was a "poacher" because I killed a bull and a cow during archery season. All legal since I had two tags, but in his mind you should only be able to kill one elk a year, so besides being a serial trespasser, I'm also a game thief...

13-Jul-23
The Falcon/Peyton area might be a good fit for you, but I would only live there if I worked on the east side of Colorado Springs.

17-Jul-23
When you walk past signs that say "posted", "no trespassing", etc. It's trespassing, plain and simple.

Like if you have a "no soliciting" sign on your door. And I ignore it, knock on it to sell you something... just because you ended up buying from me doesn't mean i wasn't soliciting.

18-Jul-23
If Lou and some others PM you with info. It’s gold. Take it to the bank. Some others. Not so much

Colorado has some pretty dedicated backpackers that will go a ridiculous distance from roads. So often times they walk past elk.

My advice would be not to focus solely on hunting. Learn to fish the state, small game hunting. Rock and Ice climbing in Colorado can be phenomenal. Look up the “49rs” and Ouray Ice climbing. Colorado and Yosemite, Helped me get into climbing at extreme altitudes. Check out John MC posts. And look at what he does in CO.

I lived in SC while stationed in Charleston and it’s a pretty conservative state. so hopefully your values can help the residents a little.

20-Jul-23
That x ray was a fake......can't trust Lou..........LOLOLOL

20-Jul-23
So if a landowner has posted or no trespassing signs you can’t knock on their door and ask permission to hunt? Dang, didn’t know I was doing this wrong all these years.

21-Jul-23
I should be in prison for all the "trespassing" I've done over the past 53 years. I've even nailed up a bunch of "No Trespassing" signs for ranchers after they gave me permission, and put chains and locks on some of their gates at their request.

I live in shame.

21-Jul-23
Jaq, The lefties are the classic 'make some else look bad, so I can look good'.

They all came to Colorado because it was ran so well, then are changing the laws so it's just like their home states: high taxes, attacks on gun owners, attacks on commerce, free handouts, high crime, weak crime penalties, homelessness, drug abuse, inflation; add any bad idea that drags down a state into the mud.

We're heading back into the 70's

21-Jul-23
I'd "trespass" with Lou any day.......

30-Jul-23
Great, Soccern23ny is yet another keyboard commando, making claims without a trace of proof. Where's the ignore function?

31-Jul-23
Soccer mom is everything that is wrong with Colorado these days

02-Aug-23
Any chance you have electrical experience? Im hiring in Westcliffe

02-Aug-23

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Here is what you can expect to hunt here in Colorado but it will take some time to draw the goat and sheep tags. When there was only 3.5 million persons in Colorado (1993) I killed the Big Eight species in 10 years from 1992 to 2002. I lack a moose and Desert Sheep to fill out the Ten but now the odds are ZERO to draw those. Now there is 5.7 million persons here and a big chunk of those pour into the mountains to play. Yea, crowding but still some places to get away. Hunting can be a challenge but it will take planning, knowledge and patience. There are some small towns in Colorado, east and west of Denver ie, the Front Range, that can still seem like rural but all depends on your needs.

My best, Paul

02-Aug-23
Bad karma... I've posted screenshot quotes from jaq and his trespass admissions before. I'll be more than happy to do it again.

02-Aug-23
Paul you’re missing you mule deer, plus I’m still hopeful you will pull a moose tag.

02-Aug-23
Soccermom, my God, are you fundamentally stupid, or just a troll? How do you think hunters gain permission to hunt private land? We walk up to the door on our own hind legs like a man and introduce ourselves, look them in the eye, and ask for permission. We don't send out letters to ranchers with our photo and our hunting resume, like some kind of scared little pussy would do, and beg for permission. Or maybe you are afraid your little pink Prius with the Biden sticker would give the wrong impression?

Yes, I have done it dozens of times, maybe hundreds, as has every other hunter on this thread. Post up the screen shots if you want. Turn me in to the Sheriff. I'll wait. Every ranch or farm in the West has "No Trespassing" signs posted. That means, "DO NOT COME ONTO THE PROPERTY TO HUNT OR RECREATE WITHOUT PERMISSION". It doesnt mean, "Don't walk up and introduce yourself". I have been granted permission to hunt many times on ranches posted like that, including on the four contiguous ranches where I have permission to hunt deer now. No one has EVER been accused of trespassing for that because it isn't considered trespassing by law enforcement or landowners. You still don't understand how life works outside the city, do you. SMH.

02-Aug-23
Well said

03-Aug-23
Thanks Dave, you will be the first I call when I am standing over my bow killed moose three miles from the truck. PS, Don't forget your knife and backpack! :) Thanks for volunteering. Mule deer pic is somewhere.

03-Aug-23
Paul, it would be my pleasure. Hopefully you kill your P&Y bull a little closer to a road though!

03-Aug-23

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
This one was checking out the ribs smoking on my deck yesterday. Would be an easy pack out!

03-Aug-23
We invite a few more, I’ll bring the beer, you smoke the ribs and Paul can watch from the deck.

What is that off to the bulls right? Looks like a 22 target.

03-Aug-23
Haha, you noticed! It's a hanging target for whatever. Can't shoot a real gun in here so I ping it with my Gamo pellet gun.

04-Aug-23
CPW Commission just passed a regulation that Gamo Pellet guns need to be registered and a license to use one is $50 (targets) and if for "game" the license for that is $100. The three new Commissions just appointed by Governor, pushed that through. Their first big WIN. Look out for more "wins". PS, you might need to fact- check this!

• Sitka Gear