Contributors to this thread:
seneca_inc 11-Jul-23
tinman 12-Jul-23
Bow Bullet 12-Jul-23
SlipShot 17-Jul-23
seneca_inc 17-Jul-23
bowcrazyJRHCO 17-Jul-23
11-Jul-23
Any comments on treestand hunting in saddles+climbing sticks vs. a climber tree stand? I have no experience using a tree saddle.

12-Jul-23
Probably better question for main thread but saddles+climbing sticks all the way. More mobile and lighter/quieter.

12-Jul-23
Between the two options I'd go the saddle route. Where I hunt here in CO, I rarely see trees that are conducive to using a climber - too crooked, too many low branches, too big around, and the lodgepoles I've seen that are bare and straight are generally too small diameter.

17-Jul-23
We don't use "climbers" but we do use tree stands. We set up several tree stands in places that we know we are going to sit prior to season start. They are heavy and a pain to put up. Several years ago I purchased a tree saddle system. I love it, it is versatile, light, safe, and easy to use. You defiantly need to get use to using and shooting from the saddle. We still setup tree stands, but I the saddle gives me options if the elk are not frequenting the tree stand locations.

17-Jul-23
Thanks Slipshot. I do treestands and climbers. Debating making a switch to climbing sticks and a saddle. More gear.

17-Jul-23
Climbers are way easier if you have the right tree, are more comfortable and a much faster climb up the tree .. IMO. But as others have stated, Saddles are lighter, very much easier to carry longer distances (or any distance), and work on most trees. If I can, I use a climber and just lock to the tree. Did that last year and arrowed an elk over water. But I had 2 important things in favor of a climber 1. Distance was not far from truck (but still on public land), 2. Had a good climbing tree. I locked the climber on to tree prior to season (one week). Arrowed elk the second evening. That being said, I did recently buy more 2 more platforms/climbing sticks (camofire.com) for my saddle and plan to place the platforms on multiple (3) trees prior to season. I will hide the sticks near each platform. The I just need to carry the saddle to which tree suits the wind, etc that particular day. Not a huge investment after the saddle: platform $59, sticks $89 on camofire.com Of course on close trees, I place the climber.

• Sitka Gear