crestedbutte 19-Jul-23
cherney12 19-Jul-23
Thornton 20-Jul-23
Matte 21-Jul-23
KB 11-Oct-23
keepemsharp 11-Oct-23
Westksbowhunter 11-Oct-23
18-Jul-23
Why are so many simple things for other states routinely difficult for KDWP?

The resident elk draw is lingering into its 6th week since application deadline and some folks have reported being told results would be out weeks ago. This is after the entirety of the nonresident deer contingent thought they drew when their cards were all hit by the department simply to check for available funds. Now NR are receiving their tags which all have dates printed on them of 9/2/2023-1/31/2024 and there’s confusion as to what actual season dates are. Sure, most of us here know what the dates are and where to find such things, but in most other states it’s clearly printed on your tag the specific dates you’re allowed to pursue that animal, not the entirety of every possible season in the state. Add to that the continued confusion over the hunting license requirements surrounding the draw as well as the extra month for the system change last year, things have been much more difficult than necessary recently.

Further, the website seems to be updated less and less frequently. There have been three big game draws concluded this year and all still show last years draw statistics. Is it that hard to put together a page or two for the Ft Riley elk draw? I’ve never seen one. The latest deer harvest summary is from fall of ‘20. Upland/small game reports are sporadic and I’d say much less thorough than other states. Mr Peek’s pronghorn data/surveys is the bright spot for sure, but even that seems to disappear quicker than it used to. Colorado has six more big game species and tens of thousands of more hunt codes and their draw stats come out almost simultaneously with results. You can scan through 20 years of draw results and harvest/species data there. Just doesn’t seem like these things should be as hard as Kansas makes them.

18-Jul-23
Severely understaffed would be my expectation. That is what the game warden keeps telling me. Have you been to any of the state parks? Very seldom see a worker.

18-Jul-23
cuz they pay people at most $18 an hour...similar to Wendy's

18-Jul-23
Not bad pay if they lack an education.

18-Jul-23
KB, I’m actually glad to find this thread. I have been trying to figure out the same thing daily and checking in here to see if I’m just not checking the right area. The go outdoors site is very confusing when looking at the status with terms like “Eligible” in the status. I’m now relieved to know it’s not been compiled, but explains the lack of response to my contact attempts.

18-Jul-23
KB, I’m actually glad to find this thread. I have been trying to figure out the same thing daily and checking in here to see if I’m just not checking the right area. The go outdoors site is very confusing when looking at the status with terms like “Eligible” in the status. I’m now relieved to know it’s not been compiled, but explains the lack of response to my contact attempts.

18-Jul-23

18-Jul-23
Dylan, from what I gather the department is trying to work with Ft Riley to better verify the military applicants and confirm their active duty status. Seems to me running the draw and notifying a tiny handful of successful applicants followed by a close check on the military winners would be less complicated than vetting the whole damn army, but what do I know.

Maybe they are understaffed and underpaid. But with $80million+ in revenue last year I’d think they could squeeze in a few qualified individuals to run a more modern website and clean up some of these draw/permit struggles. Maybe not though.

18-Jul-23
It is interesting with todays technology for sure. I have been pretty happy with the app, so I’m hopeful they will get there. Good luck in the draw to all of those waiting. This is the first year I didn’t just apply for points.

18-Jul-23
KB….will you be attending the next KDWP Commission meeting in Aug. (via Zoom) to bring up these very valid points/concerns during the Non-Agenda Public Comments portion?

18-Jul-23
That 80 million goes to other agencies, not just KDWP. The state robs money from everything.

18-Jul-23
That 80 million goes to other agencies, not just KDWP. The state robs money from everything.

19-Jul-23
I think getting ahold of Matt Peek is the only way you're going to find draw statistics and success rates. He spent a lot of time on the phone with me going over stats the year I drew. I've got the stats in a notebook somewhere if I can find it.

19-Jul-23
Hopefully not Jason. Rather be in the mountain goat/blacktail hills that week, but we’ll see how the weather lines up. If I am free I’ll sure tune in.

19-Jul-23
Right on!

19-Jul-23
humble brag

20-Jul-23
It's the KDWP. After seeing how some of their highly trained wardens operate, nothing surprises me. Had two failed attempts at purchasing tags/permits online this last season and had to go to a park office. Meanwhile, every nonresident I know drew this year and the wardens are setting their own hours and driving brand new trucks.

21-Jul-23
There are things that are complicated that could be made easier. There are issues that need to be addressed such as the Mule Deer. The wardens i know work a lot and are basically in call 24/7 they put their life on the line all the time so much respect for them. It comes down to the legislature has the cuffs on the department. What we need is participation in force.

11-Oct-23

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
The Wardens social media page had to make a post yesterday regarding the season dates printed on tags. Such an avoidable ordeal. The comments are as you’d expect.

Between this, the last minute setting of season dates, the confusion around the pre rut antlerless seasons, and e-tags/paper tags they’ve got a lot to clean up for next year. I’ve even seen someone reporting they talked to a fellow in Pratt who claimed the doe season was only over the weekend, not including Monday. Sloppy.

11-Oct-23
Just because some folks in Topeka in the leg. want to get their hand in deer seasons. So they can tell their people they represent "SEE I did something.".

11-Oct-23
Tag sales, length of season, and special seasons are a much bigger problem than baiting.

• Sitka Gear