Rut Nut 18-Aug-23
Bowhunter shawn 19-Aug-23
Bowhunting 5C 20-Aug-23
Rut Nut 20-Aug-23
Bob McArthur 20-Aug-23
Rut Nut 20-Aug-23
Bowhunting 5C 21-Aug-23
19-Jul-23
With round 2 of doe tags coming this Monday, July 24th. Whats your prediction on how it's going to go? With limited number of tags in some wmu. Do you think there's going to be a bigger influx of folks trying to get in right from the start? How do you think it's going to go for the folks that can't get on line when it opens because of work obligations or such and folks that are on line for hours and then tags are then sold out?

Well post your predictions now, before it happens. I know that the GC and some legislators are aware of the part of folks that can't get online because of other obligations and tags becoming sold out.

What changes do you think will be made or should be made, to this new system? I know that it's very early in this new system, but thoughts and ideas for next year are already being hashed.

Here's my thought on changes. For the first 3 rounds it goes to application period and then a draw. That systems been around and even used by Pa and many many other states for years. Everyone can get in, it don't cause internet to lock up. First round most likely everyone gets a doe tag, round 2 not everyone gets a doe tag but all get and equal chance and the same for round 3. The problem with this is point of sales, as you won't be using them. I do know that the game commission is going to make changes to the point of sale for next year, lowering costs for the merchants, so more get into it. So how will all this play out over the next year?? Your thoughts?

20-Jul-23
Its gonna be jammed up again, even though 90% of those jamming it up could wait a day or two and still get the tags they are after.

As far as change, everybody should be able to get one antlerless tag in any unit at the time of their general license purchase, regardless of when it is purchased. Everybody gets their first choice anyways.

20-Jul-23
I'm doing my part. I'm making fun of everyone I know that was standing in line and b******* about the process when they hunt in a unit that will go four deep on doe tags. Line goes like this "Hey _____, you in line for Monday's next round yet? There's only 70,000 left."

20-Jul-23
I haven't got my license or first doe tag yet. Do you think the lines have died down?

20-Jul-23
Pennsyltucky traditions die hard. They have been conditioned to be first in line for everything. Logging in at 6am for a tag that doesn't go on sale till 8, I agree, jammed up but not crashing. Slow.

20-Jul-23
"Pennsyltucky traditions die hard."

Ironic you say that. Buy your license online then wait weeks for snail mail. Meanwhile, I bought my WV license online, additonal buck tag, doe tag, printed it all out. In under ten minutes. Did I mention that was in 2003?

All PA did was computerize a shitty paper system.

20-Jul-23
Pennsyltucky baby steps, online this year and in 50 we can print them. C'mon man, we just had a funeral service for the pink envelopes, show the pink faithful some respect.

20-Jul-23
I will support my local neighborhood shop and wait until 4 PM, or the next day, and buy mine in person. (For 5-C).

20-Jul-23

Jethro's embedded Photo
Jethro's embedded Photo

20-Jul-23
MPGA? Ok, we're waiting.

20-Jul-23
I'm guessing 5 wmu's sell out of doe tags by 3pm Monday. For those that are working and can't get on till after work, are out of luck. All the welfare technicians will gobble them up. :)

20-Jul-23
Being the PGC hasn't made an announcement the system was upgraded, I think Act 2 will be the same as Act 1 ...FUBAR. The same bootlicking Usual Suspects will still blame the Pennsyltucky Consumers for the failure of a Government Agency.

20-Jul-23
Bob, you won me a dollar. I made a bet with another poster that we couldn't get some one to use "pennsyltucky " in a sentence, the bet was .25 cents, it was doubled if the sentence contained "bootlicker", and then doubled again when used to call someone one names. Thanks.

20-Jul-23
On to round #2. The pink envelope worshipping guys are panicking.

20-Jul-23
Great, John! Maybe this will put some more money in your pocket. You acted the same way when the previous UBP Leadership got exposed for doing some shady underhanded things...you blamed the whistle-blowers for the problem and defended those responsible.

20-Jul-23
Looks like Jethro is waiting to...............................Make Pinks Great Again in 2024! ;-)

21-Jul-23
Haha. If a single Bowsiter can make the pinks go away statewide, maybe 1 can bring them back. I had to tear apart a desk drawer the other night looking for a lost gift card. Found 7 pink envelopes. Didn't find the gift card.

5C, it's just a joke.

21-Jul-23
I predict I will get my tag on Tuesday with no issues.

21-Jul-23
Ah Bob, no. I never tried to cover anything up. All I did was ask not to air dirty laundry on a public message board. And I didn't go along with the way they were taking the UBP direction. What I did do was ask the questions and got more involved. Sorry if that scenario triggers you. Now where we're we, oh yeah bringing pink envelopes back to pennsyltucky.

21-Jul-23
5C, Every time you use the term pennsyltucky, you insult everyone of us. Its the same term liberal democrats use to describe proponents of the 2nd Amendment in PA. We get it already. You apparently think you are the only educated, and cultured person among us and the rest of us are a bunch of uneducated, bumbling, dopes. I have a bit of news for you, whether you like pink envelopes or not, does not make a person. People such as Rut and others trade barbs in good fun, but you lower yourself to another level just like you did with the UBP discussion. Everyone is stupid except you. Your constant insults of people who see things different than you, make YOU look like the uneducated, bumbling dope.

21-Jul-23
I dont think the pinks are coming back. Ruts going to make sure of that. A matter of fact, i just saw Rut heading towards Jethro's house with pitchforks and torches sticking through his sunroof.

21-Jul-23

Haha. If a single Bowsiter can make the pinks go away statewide, maybe 1 can bring them back. I had to tear apart a desk drawer the other night looking for a lost gift card. Found 7 pink envelopes. Didn't find the gift card.

LOL! I hate to say it Jethro, but you’ll probably never find that gift card....................but those pinks will keep popping up when you least expect it! Like a bad penny................. ;-)

Ed- LOL! But if they ever bring back these dreaded pinks I won’t be headed to Jethro’s house..................I’ll be taking the pitchforks and torches to Harrisburg! : )

21-Jul-23
And Griz- I think you need to lighten up a bit...................I get called a “boot licking usual suspect” and I just consider the source and let it roll off my back! No need to get upset..................we all know Bob’s M.O.!

In fact, he better stop wasting time bashing the UBP and the PGC and log onto HuntFishPa (NOW) to get in line for his 5D tag.........................there’s only 23,923 left! ;-)

21-Jul-23
If you go back and look at past threads you will see and learn folks MO's. Like one person pretty much only posts on controversial threads. Go back and look at controversial threads. Look at a handle that comes up a lot in them threads and read what he posts. then go look at threads that are not controversial he pretty much never there. Funny how I can read a thread title and see a name and pretty much know how there post is going to go. I sure many of you long time Bowsiters also know how others are going to post.

21-Jul-23
Apparently you really don't know Bob's M.O.

21-Jul-23
Griz, you're spot on about the Pennsyltucky comments. The only people failing to understand the optics, are the ones using it.

21-Jul-23
All jokes aside, I don't want pinks back. I'm no bootlicker. Despite the fact that I never personally had a problem, the treasurer timing was too inconsistent.

The first round here went just as I anticipated, but I wouldn't mind seeing some type of application period then draw results posted at a later date for doe tags. Like Teeton has mentioned in some of his posts. Round 2 is not a big deal for me either, but round 3 will be.

21-Jul-23
Teeton gets it! If you pay attention and follow the threads consistently here, you get to know people............................................

Griz- you said: "5C, Every time you use the term pennsyltucky, you insult everyone of us. Its the same term liberal democrats use to describe proponents of the 2nd Amendment in PA."

Well, he DOESN'T insult ME...............................I actually wear that as a badge of honor! I have it in my personal e-mail on my phone PENNSYLTUCKYHUNTER@ Just like when Obama said we "cling to our guns and bibles" or when Hillary called us "deplorables"...............................or some people call me a "Hillbilly" or "Redneck"............... I say THANKS! and see it as a compliment! ;-)

21-Jul-23
Yep, me too. I've been a Pennsyltucky Redneck Deplorable since I was knee high.

I've found I often only really get to know folks from message boards after I've met them in person and spent some time with them elsewhere. About half are what they seemed, some are better, a few are worse/weirder.

I was gonna stop and get my license today, but there was an accident at the intersection between my house and the sporting goods store, so I just came home and bought them online. Got a doe tag too. Only took a couple of minutes, and was faster than she's ever done it at the store. And best of all... NO APPLICATIONS OR PINK ENVELOPES. Good grief, I didn't think that misery would EVER go away. That was worse than herpes... just guessin'. lol

21-Jul-23
Wonder what they say in Kentucky as an insult? Kennsylvania?

21-Jul-23

21-Jul-23
Maybe Kentuckidelphia?

22-Jul-23
Well Chris and Ed, you are certainly welcome to your opinion, as is the rest of you. When the insults and name calling started Bob drew first blood. And I encouraged him on. I am not a boot licker, nor am I a UBP sellout. So you can stow that. You spew the use of Pennsyltucky on a chat board as being anti American and a liberal democrat. Yeah un huh. I am far from that. If this word, in this setting triggers the lot of you. I will say you have many more deep-seated issues that a word on a message board. If your also wondering where my loyalties lay in regards to the UBP you and the rest can feel free to call me, chat me and I will send you my number. What the previous Pres and his cronie did to the UBP will take some time to undo, and they are doing that. Good things are coming from the UBP.

22-Jul-23
X2 Griz…

22-Jul-23
5C,

What are the good things coming from UBP? Are you privy to what’s going on?

As far as doe tags are concerned, never seen someone conflate mediocrity with progress as much as you do.

23-Jul-23
Tom- I don’t want to speak for John, but I think we have similar views on the subject. I fully expected this first year to be a cluster ****! I’m actually thinking things might get a bit worse before they get better. BUT..............at least we’re not in the STATUS QUO of filling out those stupid pink envelopes and having to rely on the “efficiency” of BOTH the County Treasurers AND the US Postal service!

To be honest, it may take a few years to really get it right...................but IMHO it is well worth it! I for one, wouldn’t care if I didn’t get a doe tag or 2 that I was trying for if it meant getting a totally automated system that EVENTUALLY work well!

23-Jul-23
Perry, the PGC fully delivered on yours and many others expectations. We expected poor performance and the PGC fully delivered. Again. There is absolutely no need or reason for it. Anybody that has worked in IT, developed infrastrcuture, online purchases, etc can tell you that. Not that it would work perfectly from the get-go, but have minimal issues.

Several years ago, I designed and automated the cutting and bending of microbore tubing for use in a drug delivery system. Aside from some minor conditioning it worked flawlessly. It was a complicated system that could not obstruct the .006" dia bore in any way. Manager in charge of process engineering asked me "I guess your happy it worked." My reply was "Happy? Why? I fully expected it too." I designed and implemented to my cusotmers expectations, which were success. The first time.

23-Jul-23
Tom- I hear what you are saying and you are are right! HOWEVER, I have worked for a government agency for 32 years...............therefore I am a REALIST! And although I perform my job at a high level, I have learned to accept the fact that the systems we work with (especially the computer systems) are not the best out there. We (VA) were the first healthcare system in the country to start using computers, some 25 years ago. We started with what they called the VISTA system which was basically used for just e-mail, work orders and such. Then for patient scheduling and data. After years and years we finally got a real system (CPRS) where all the patient data, scheduling, progress notes, labs, diagnostics etc..................is available. 20 years ago they said “eventually” the Vista system would go away. Would you believe it is still there and used for work orders?! As recently as 6 years ago we had VISTA e-mail AND Microsoft e-mail and were expected to use both! After a couple years of having Microsoft e-mail, I just refused to even check my VISTA e-mail! It was so archaic and a PITA compared to Microsoft...............

Yes- in the private sector or commercial sector that would not be accepted. But we are talking about a government agency! Look at the US Postal system..................the only reason they can even compete with UPS and FedEx is they are funded by the US government!

So I guess I just have a little different perspective on things seeing them from the “inside” all these years..................I admit my expectations are probably lower than a lot of folks! ;-)

23-Jul-23
Perry, what you are talking about are implementation issues, not system capabilities. With the online license rollout it appears it was a system capability issue - the system couldn't handle the traffic.

Also, what you are talking about happens all the time in the private sector just usually not for 20 years. I've worked with health systems that have one system for a main clinical information system and others for other disciplines - oncology, cardiology, even lab orders. For example, I can go to my primary care doc and get an order for labwork. The lab, part of the same health system, is down the hall from the primary care office. What should happen is the order should be electronically transmitted to the lab but until changes are made, I have to either carry a paper order or the doctor's office can fax it to the lab.

23-Jul-23
Phil- I was just giving you an example of how inefficient and how slowly things change in the government......................can you imagine having to log into 2 DIFFERENT e-mail systems at your work everyday to check and answer e-mails......................... for YEARS???!!!

23-Jul-23
I can imagine it. It happens all the time and created a market for vendors offering single sign-on systems. What I have a hard time understanding is how some vendor never made a big enough campaign donation to have a legislator push through buying it to solve your (and all other user’s) problem. That’s typically how things happen fast.

24-Jul-23
My prediction is true so far.

24-Jul-23
Just heard guys started lining up at Dick’s at 7:30...................(they don’t open til 9! ;-)

And most of them are buying tags for WMU’s that probably won’t sell out for days....................

24-Jul-23
Despite not "needing" to go on today for a second tag, I wanted to see if improvements had been made. They did not start the que until 8:00 and at that point, if you were logged in, you were given a random spot in line. My number was 8621. By 9:24 that was down to 328 and I was able to purchase at 9:28. For me it seemed improved but I am in front of my laptop all day. It may not work so well for others who can't stay on top of it. I did notice they now give you 25 minutes instead of 10 to make your purchase.

24-Jul-23
Only 40661 people ahead of me online

24-Jul-23
Chris- a buddy said the same thing. Got on at 7:45 and at 8am he got 6781...........he was done in 90 min! “Much better” were his exact words!

24-Jul-23
Signed on at 8. Was number 18,200 and something. Transaction completed at 10:47.

Two hours and forty seven minutes for an online transaction still sucks.

24-Jul-23
.................but better than 9 hours! (for a 5D tag.............. ;-)

24-Jul-23
Last time I was above the #35,000, twice a many as today.. So it go a little better. However, two hours & forty seven minutes for a transaction that should take no more than 1 minute, sucks. If this were an online store for a business, the business would be out of business because nobody would accept a wait that long due to a piss-poor performance of their point of sale system.

24-Jul-23
Unfortunately the PGC knows they have us by the..........................doe tags! : ( And some of us will do whatever it takes to get that (5D) tag ASAP! ;-)

24-Jul-23
Signed in at noon. Was number 26,XXX. Screw that. Went to Walmart, in and out in 5 minutes. No line.

24-Jul-23
Nice! I’m gonna stop at our local hardware store after work................I should be there just before 5. Hopefully no line. If there is, I’ll go back another day. Still 13,000 tags left in my WMU.............

24-Jul-23
There is no longer a wait to buy online. Just got mine.

24-Jul-23
Nice!

24-Jul-23
I meant to do it this morning at work on my phone but forgot about it until I was on my way home. Got home 2:45, got on the computer and had my 2D tag purchased in a minute and a half. No numbers, no line, no waiting. This system is AWESOME! :^) 2D has 40,000 tags left.

On the desk in front of me right now is a pink antlerless app envelope. Vile thing. It makes me happy to know I'll never have to deal with it again.

Hey, question for those who've gotten their license already. Do they send a game law summary book in the mail with your license?

24-Jul-23
They did with mine Jeff. Took me 7 minutes today to get my second tag. That's because I didn't realize I didn't have my number lock pushed and I have to look at numbers while I type them. Had to put my information in twice, really showed me down.

24-Jul-23

Rut Nut's Link

On the desk in front of me right now is a pink antlerless app envelope. Vile thing. It makes me happy to know I'll never have to deal with it again.

LMBO Jeff! You reminded me of that famous Seinfeld scene.....................

24-Jul-23
Thanks Perry. That was one of my favorite Seinfeld moments. "VILE WEED!" Seriously lmao over here. Love it.

24-Jul-23
Thanks for the info, Chris.

24-Jul-23
Wait over nine hours for a tag that could be bought in less than five minutes a few days later, bitch up and down about how bad it is for days, then do exactly the same thing all over again this morning??????

Mr. FUBAR never disappoints!!!!

24-Jul-23
Me too Jeff! : )

LMBO Steve! RIGHT???!!!!

24-Jul-23
Logged on a couple minutes ago and got my tag in less time than it would have taken to write a check and fill out the pink envelope.

This might just work out...

24-Jul-23
Signed in at 4:11 today and got my tag purchased immediately.

Seems like the gating factor is around 40-50,000 people trying to get on.

24-Jul-23
Doe tags in 5 minutes and mine and daughters license in mailbox when I got home. Each license came with the digest book.

24-Jul-23
Double post

24-Jul-23
Left the house at 4:35, drove a mile and a half to the shop. Owner was alone. Back home with a 5-C tag at 4:55 after bs'n for 10 minutes.

24-Jul-23
Tom "As far as doe tags are concerned, never seen someone conflate mediocrity with progress as much as you do." No, It is not mediocrity it is change and progress, two words that are often not colliding in a sentence when doe tags are discussed. We were slaves to an antiquated system, where we were dependent on treasurers and employees and the post office. I never said it was the greatest thing ever what I did say was it was about time this state was dragged kicking screaming into the 21st century. The treasurers were for lack of a better word terrible, some were good but the majority were short handed, the employees hated doing them and would find anything else better than having to field angry phone calls over a 2G tag. Anyone who has ever called those offices know what I am saying. Add the angry postal employees on that and the sheer volume some of those treasurers got, and it was not efficient. Those that disagree with it and loved it, are sitting there shaking their heads and giving the terminal the bird again because it is "change" and they hate that word more than anything. And as some guys have said, they got home, logged on and got a tag in less time than it took to send a pink envelope to a county seat. "Change".

24-Jul-23
"No, It is not mediocrity it is change and progress,..."

Look up the definition of progress and we can have a conversation.

I'm well aware of how lousy the previous system was. As someone that uses technology, robots, vision, automation, I fully understand what tech can do. Especially when it's planned properly.

25-Jul-23
Here are the facts as of this morning......

Every hunter has had the opportunity to buy an antlerless tag in their first choice unit, without having to wait in line, either at a licensing location or online.

1B, 2G, 3A and 4C all sold out before the second round so they were off the table before it started yesterday. No one who wanted a second tag in those WMU's had to waste time writing checks and filling out applications and pink envelopes only to have them rejected and returned a week or two later. If those people checked the availability yesterday before logging in, or heading to an agent to try to buy another, they wouldn't have to waste their time waiting to try to buy something that wasn't available.

The only people who actually needed to try to get a jump on getting their 2nd tag yesterday morning were those looking to get one in 3B and 2F, and they had until 10:35 and 12:33, respectively, to do so. Those who made it a priority likely got one.

The other 16 WMU's still have availability. Every hunter has the ability to buy a second tag in those units without having to wait in a line, either in person, or virtually.

So other than those who chose to torture themselves unnecessarily, either out of ignorance or to try to prove an irrelevant point, how many hunters were actually negatively impacted by the new system?

25-Jul-23
I like being able to “track“ doe tags in real time now. I wasn’t able to get to the issuing agent before they closed yesterday, but license sales are slowing in my WMU now. Still 8,278 tags available and they only sold a few hundred since last night. I’m gonna keep an eye on it and hopefully leave work early on Friday and stop on the way home to get my tag. If for some reason it gets dangerously low before then, I’ll go online and buy it. Lots of options now..........................

25-Jul-23
I'm kind of wondering what unit everyone hunts, basically whats your main unit you hunt doe in?

25-Jul-23
I'll go first, 3C

25-Jul-23
My "home" WMU is 3D. But I also hunt in 2D and 5C. My goal this year is to get two 3D tags, one for 2D and three for 5C........................................

25-Jul-23
3D. Some years I get 3C as my 2nd tag, but not this year. Stayed with 3D.

25-Jul-23
I live and hunt in 2D, but also hunt 1A which is about 10 minutes away.

Keep in mind, DMAPS go on sale in the next round.

25-Jul-23
Well, it's the evening of Tuesday the 25th, and there's still 49,000 left in 2C, so I think I'll be good for a few more days if I do want a second tag. I just go to the little store in Manns Choice and get it printed off, no online BS needed. It's just a mile and a half from my house.

25-Jul-23
4C first because they go quickly. Then 5C. Most years I also hunt 4A but won’t get there this year.

25-Jul-23
Teeton,

I’m hunt 5B & C. Occasionally 4B. Used to be 4B all the time.

14-Aug-23
Round 3: I signed in at 7:55 and was 8206 in line. Checked out at 9:15.

14-Aug-23
About same experience for me.

14-Aug-23
Yep- things are getting better. My buddy got on at 8 and was 7622. Got his tag at 9:13

I’m gonna get mine after work.

14-Aug-23
No better than round 2. Signed in at 8:03, checked out at 10:02. 2 Hours, same as round 2. I predict Round 4 will be as bad a round 1...hope I'm wrong.

14-Aug-23
I'll bet you won't tell us what WMU you waited two hours for........ LOL

FUBAR!!!!!

14-Aug-23
When you're working at your desk & they send you a notification to sign on to start the transaction, does it matter what WMU you're purchasing? The fact is, it shouldn't take 2 hours for an online transaction that should only be 2 minutes tops. I'm amazed how you people accept the incompetence of this government agency.

14-Aug-23
I waited for dmap tags. Not the regular doe tags.

14-Aug-23
On at 9, done before 9:20. Efficiency at its best. Like it...

14-Aug-23
I'll bet you won't tell us what WMU you waited two hours for........ LOL FUBAR!!!!!<<<-----

Will an answer be forthcoming?

14-Aug-23
"The fact is, it shouldn't take 2 hours for an online transaction that should only be 2 minutes tops."

You chose to take 2 hours when you didn't have to, so that's on you.

Reminds me of the people who rush to stand in line for a concert or sporting event instead of enjoying the tailgate for another hour or so then walking right in......

14-Aug-23

Rut Nut's Link
Save yourself 1 hour 58 min and just do this Mr. FUBAR! ;-)

14-Aug-23
Well I went in line about 8 ish, was thinking you couldn't go on any earlier, like round 1. I checked my email about every 15 minutes. About a little before 9 I got in. Unit sold out by then. :(

14-Aug-23
Perry, classic, well done lad.

14-Aug-23
I hear you Ed. I wanted a 3D tag to hunt my buddies place he just bought in Monroe County, near the Lakawanna county line. Sold out at 8:21 this morning.

14-Aug-23
I got online this morning and it said I was behind #11,xxx others. I decided then that I was done with doe tags. I have two, one for each of the units I hunt. That's more than enough. Additionally, the dmaps I usually get for Moraine sold out at 11 am. That's fine too. I couldn't play the waiting game today, I just had too many things going on.

14-Aug-23
Family of 5 getting tags at Walmart this morning at 10. 2 employees working took care of them all in 10 minutes or so. Still 15 k tags left in 2-D then.

14-Aug-23
It sucks when a WMU sells out, but that has nothing to do with the new system. Pink envelopes would get mailed on Friday and you had to just hope they got to yours before they ran out.

Bob, there were plenty of 3D tags to be had in the last two rounds. In fact, you could already have 2! I hunt Luzerne/Lackawanna in 3D and none of us that hunt there have ever had a problem getting a tag when we wanted one, including this year. If you waited for the third round to try to get one after using up your first two chances on WMU's that wont sell out for another month or two, that was either a lack of understanding how things work or just poor planning. Next year get your 3D in the first round.

15-Aug-23
He didn't have his place Monroe in the first two rounds. He makes settlement middle of September.

15-Aug-23
Is this the same buddy you told me about 10 or 12 years ago Bob? If memory serves me, he was in the same area of the Poconos and you talked about hunting his place.....................

15-Aug-23
Nope. I used to have a place in Monroe, closer near the Pocono raceway that I sold 5 or 6 years ago. I used to buy at least one 3D tad when I owned it. You may be thinking of that. I had a friend of a friend with a place near Rts. 115 & 80 that I hunted turkey with one season in the Lackawanna SF about 20 years ago.

15-Aug-23
That’s right- I was thinking of your place......................memory’s not quite as sharp as it used to be! ;-)

15-Aug-23
I many of times got three 3C tags, sometimes I got two 3C tags as I do most of my hunting in 3c. But I have one farm that, believe it or not, is mostly in 3D and a little in 3C. I never use any of my doe tags till late season, unless I got a buck in the archery season. Once in awhile I'll use my doe tags archery in rifle season if the buck tag is gone.

16-Aug-23
I have to question the logic of people lining up at Dick's at 7:30 for a 9am opening. These people do realize that tags go on sale at 8 right? So they are actually standing in line for an hour while other people are buying tags.

16-Aug-23
And they’re probably complaining about NOT having to fill out the pink envelopes! ;-)

16-Aug-23
Those machines at dicks go down quicker than any where. And that's the mentality of people, join the heard, hoping that they are right. But hey, we still can login to bowsite and read all about the good old days of pink envelopes and the folk lore of treasurers and the post office. So, there is that.

16-Aug-23
I'm all for the system being automated, however, if it takes more than a couple of minutes total for the online experience, it's unacceptable & deserving of negative criticism.

16-Aug-23
Bob's got a point. I spent way more time getting just 2 doe tags this year than I ever have. I can only think that the new system will/ should be up graded.

Now what looks to be a much broader number of folks having doe tags, how do you think the doe kill is going to be this year? How or will it affect doe tag allocations in the coming years?

16-Aug-23
I firmly believe the allocations will go up, when the kill percentage goes down. Guys buying tags just because or maybe I will and Don't forget the first timers who had no intentions of using them. Allocation will increase.

16-Aug-23
5c, you think alot of guys are buying them and have no plan on using them?? I have heard of the guys buying them and burning them to save does. But to be honest I never believed that. Is that what you mean?

17-Aug-23
I’m with 5C...............if they never got one before because it was too much of a hassle to fill out the pink envelopes, they are probably not “hardcore” hunters. I don’t see the kill increasing much.......

17-Aug-23
There are still guys in this day and age that buy them to not use. But, perry said it correctly, guys whom typically wouldn't buy them because of the difficulty, will be the casual guy and buy one they may have had no intention of using. I actually ran into a guy like that a few days ago. Bought his hunting license so he could use the state game land range, and a 5d tag. He doesn't have a place to hunt in 5d but said it was easy so he just got one. Hasn't hunted in 20 years but Bought a doe tag. Those guys.

17-Aug-23
That is exactly why 5D should be unlimited tags. People who have spots to hunt and the ability to kill numerous does (as the PGC says they want to happen) should not be handcuffed in buying tags. I should be able to go online in late January and buy more tags if needed. I was assured by a PGC Manager out of Reading that this was going to happen this year but obviously did not. My entire strategy in 5D revolves around killing does and most of my access depends on that. If I go a year or two without killing anything, I may lose access. And before anyone says "who needs all that meat?", rest assured that I supply multiple non hunters and senior, former hunters who are now unable to hunt with venison. 5D should be separate and unlimited from the 6 tag maximum. No downside. PGC makes more money, deer get killed, guys with access get to hunt, and the burners (if they really exist) can burn all they want and not affect anyone.

17-Aug-23
I agree 100% Chris..............and should include 5C and 2B as well.

As of 10am this morning 5C had less than 19,000 tags left out of 70,000. I guess I am going to have to go online at 8am on the 28th if I wanna get more than one 5C tag this year!

17-Aug-23
Griz has it right....

17-Aug-23
I agree with 5D being unlimited. But, how many 5D and 5C tags make their way to the northern tiers when those low allotment tag WMU run out? And I was also wondering out loud if there is a way to weed out the Bambi huggers that buy those tags and never filed a kill report? Things that make you go hmmmmm, and tack on the man behind the curtains for the elk "reveal " as well.

17-Aug-23
I Just don't think that folks buy tags in big numbers that buy just to save deer. I also bet that if 5c and 5d went unlimited you would see a big drop in sales in these units. As guys would not buy (numbers) them, knowing they can get them at anytime. The number of tags sold in round one is all you would see bought up too, today's date. Use one, go to walmart and buy a new one. Yes, No?

17-Aug-23
I agree. I also think that the unlimited may help the very purpose of special regulations areas as well. Extend the seasons further as well.

18-Aug-23
Ed- you’re forgetting about the “tag hogs” as someone once called them. Guys that would buy 15 tags right off the bat ....................and then only use 5.

I remember years ago when there were still tags left in 5C when the early archery season opened. But even back then they would sell out by the end of rifle season. And it’s been MANY years since there were still tags available BEFORE the Early Archery season opened!

19-Aug-23
Pink envelopes 2024...

20-Aug-23
Sorry Shawn, "Pink envelopes 2024," 1950 called, they wanted them back.

20-Aug-23
People need to accept the technology and MOVE ON(from the PINK ENVELOPES)................this is the 2020’s! ;-)

20-Aug-23
Perry, we need to accept technology that makes the Point of Sale System work lightning fast without delays. What you're saying is just accept the garbage system they put in place and just move on, & let the PGC off the hook & hold nobody accountable, even though it's our money being wasted on bad rollout of technology, Frankly, that's horse manure. Here's an idea those of us who are non-government workers use in the private sector; When a project fails miserably, hold those who did it accountable & fire them. Then, publicly announce an apology for the system failure, inform your customers of the firings of those responsible, and publicly vow to never let it happen again. Then get the problem fixed ASAP.

20-Aug-23
Bob- I never said accept failure. I said accept the fact that the old archaic system (pink envelopes) are gone for good!

This was the first year ............they have learned from the first round and made adjustments. Next year will be better.

I suggest if you’re THAT “out for blood”, go to the next PGC meeting and give them your 5 min tongue lashing during the public comment period! ;-)

21-Aug-23
I think the public comment section of the pgc meetings are 10 minutes each per person or until they get tired of you then it' shorter.

• Sitka Gear