Rut Nut 03-Oct-23
Spider1 03-Oct-23
Rut Nut 04-Oct-23
Jeff Durnell 04-Oct-23
Spider1 04-Oct-23
Mr Bowhunter 05-Oct-23
24-Jul-23

Rut Nut's Link
I figured I would start a new thread and help distract people from the on-going DOE TAG SAGA.................. ;-)

So the last 4 years or so I have been battling shoulder issues. It first flared up in 2020 in November and I couldn’t draw my bow- tried turning it down but still couldn’t draw it. Didn’t get any better in Dec., so I bought the dreaded crossbow so I could hunt the late season. I contemplated looking at a lighter bow, but figured it would be much quicker and easier to get a crossbow set up to hunt than to try to find a LH compound in the model I was looking for and get it set up to hunt, so I just bought the crossbow in January and hunted the late season with it.

The shoulder got better so I hunted 2021 with the compound but last year right before the early archery season I had the same problem and couldn’t pull the compound! Had to start the season with the crossbow. I babied it,(let it heal) and slowly started building the strength back up and was able to pull it by Nov. 11th and on Nov 12th I shot an antlerless deer with it. It felt SO GOOD to be hunting with a vertical bow again!

In March I fell on ice down my front steps and injured my other shoulder! : ( So I figured it was time to look into a low draw weight bow. I managed to find a LH Diamond Infinite 305 and the first time I drew it I knew it was just what I was looking for! VERY smoothe and easy draw! And I can turn it down as far as I need to! (7-70 lb draw weight adjustability! )

24-Jul-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
This weekend I switched out all the accessories it came with and put my accessories on it from my old bow- even got a new stabilizer for it. Got the 20 yard pin sighted in.

24-Jul-23
It is a GODSEND! And NO MORE CROSSBOW! : )

I have it set at 55 lbs now, but it will be a relief knowing I can turn it down further if need be. And no more second guessing Whether I can get to full draw at the “moment of truth!”

24-Jul-23
Glad it worked out fo ya.

24-Jul-23
Thanks Gene! The last few years have been a struggle, to say the least! But glad to be back shooting vertical (for good! ;-)

It's kind of ironic, seeing how I was one of the original ANTI-crossbow (for ABLE BODIED) guys and fought hard to keep them out of the archery season! Always thought they were much easier to use due to the "point and shoot" nature(no need to draw in the presence of game), but I found out they DO have some drawbacks! Especially from a treestand. Although they still have an advantage in most situations. I found it to be very awkward and combersome and it made me realize how accustomed I had gotten to using a VERTICAL bow and things just came naturally when I had that compound in my hand as opposed to the crossbow! I just could never get used to it............................................

24-Jul-23
Good for you Rut. My view is a bit different. I fought crossguns hard, hate them, still do every bit as much. I've been an archer since I was 7 years old, 50 years. I love my firearms, shoot them a lot, but I absolutely won't use a crossgun to 'stay in the game', or ever, for anything. I'll quit bowhunting before I do, regardless of any health issues I might face. In fact, during my Lyme battle which lasted over 2 years, I was in bad shape, so weak and in so much pain, I couldn't even walk up steps let alone climb a tree or string my wife's longbow. Her bow was the weakest in the house and I used it to gauge my diminishing and returning strength. I tried to hunt one day the first year, about killed myself getting up into a tree, and later a doe came in and when I tried to draw the bow, I unconsciously yelled out in pain at about 3/4 draw. Yeah, she ran away :^) I missed a few hunting seasons and had a slow, often disparaging recovery. Afterwards it took me years to work my way back to shooting my regular 60-65 lb selfbows and longbows. But I never ONCE entertained the thought of using a crossgun. When I can no longer shoot a hunting weight selfbow, it's over, and I'll be good with it, without regret. It's been a wonderful journey, but it has to end sometime. Just my opinion.

24-Jul-23
Well Jeff............................Like Dirty Harry used to say: "A man's got to know his limitations!" ;-)

I'm just glad there are options out there for lighter poundage compound bows..................................when I first started checking into them I thought Diamond was making the only bow with such a large range in draw weight! Turns out a lot of the bow manufacturers are making them now. STILL hard to comprehend how they can make a bow with a 7-70 lb draw weight range! But I am sure glad they do......................................

24-Jul-23
I hope you enjoy shooting it for a long time!

24-Jul-23
I had to shoot a compound for a few years in the early 2000s because of a shoulder injury. The way I looked at it was I love shooting my bow but I also love getting out hunting. Up until ten years or so ago I hunted with bows, muzzleloader, handgun and rifle. Now only with a bow. If I couldn’t shoot a bow I’d entertain getting a crossbow but I honestly don’t know, if I got that bad, if I would be able to carry and shoot one. I’m not ready to give up hunting until I’m physically unable to hunt.

24-Jul-23
I'm glad things worked out for you. It's good to have options when needed.

We all have our own limitations whether it's physical abilities or how we define bows and arrows. Personally, it's safe to say I will never use a X-gun or the compound device. Never. If I'm in that bad shape I'll hunt with a camera.

24-Jul-23

Rut Nut's Link
Thanks guys! I “feel like a Phoenix rising from the ashes...................” (another one for you Jeff! ;-)

25-Jul-23
I was just about to say I would use a camera before an X gun but Red beat me to it.

25-Jul-23
I would use a camera too, but those flat deer just don’t taste very good................... ;-)

25-Jul-23
I understand the emotion of not wanting to use a crossbow but I don't understand quitting hunting if I cannot use a bow. This will be my 59th hunting season. If I'm physically able to get out, I'll be out with a bow. Unfortunately if I'm not physically able I won't be able to use a crossbow or compound and probably won't be able to hunt at all. Next year if I can't shoot a bow but can still walk in the woods I can't see not hunting with some weapon. Seriously, I have some great camera gear, being a photographer since the mid-1970s, but I wouldn't exchange a camera for a weapon. There's lots of other times to take photos.

25-Jul-23
Been having some shoulder and now elbow issues for the last several years. Don't shoot every day like I used to or as many rounds. When the time comes when age and worn out joints trump drive and desire, I'll lay my compound down and pick up a x-bow. Can't imagine not being in a tree or a blind in October and November.

25-Jul-23
59 hunting seasons Phil?! God Bless you! That’s more than I’ve been alive.................

Tom- I hear you on the “can’t imagine NOT being in a treestand or blind come the Fall” But before you pick up a crossbow, do yourself a favor and check out these wide range draw weight bows........................they are amazing! (That was the point of this thread ;-)

25-Jul-23
Thanks Perry. The blessings will help. I hope you can retire early and spend a lot of healthy years chasing deer.

25-Jul-23
Phil, hunting to me is BOWhunting. I don't own a hunting gun.

25-Jul-23
Thanks Phil! That's my plan............................we'll see what God says! ;-) Hope you have a healthy and happy Archery season this year!

25-Jul-23
I understand Red.

25-Jul-23
Vertical. X2.

25-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Well, I “christened” the new ANTI-crossbow on Friday! ;-)

Had no problem drawing the bow! It is very easy and smoothe to draw....................

25-Sep-23
Perry, I hope your back & shoulders stay pain free forever. Looks like you're finding out you don't need to draw a heavy weight for a bow to be deadly. A 35# to 45# draw weight kills them just as dead & efficiently as a 55#, 60#, & #70. Congratulations on your doe.

25-Sep-23
Thanks Bob! And the other nice thing is this bow is very light weight as well. It is a pleasure to hold and carry!

25-Sep-23
Glad your doing better Perry. With my knee I know I won't be hunting like I normally do this season. I have a few out of the way spots that I maybe able to walk to, but getting a deer out would be a different store. I normally have a big piece of tyvek, backpack and quarter/debone them for the trip out. It's a big buck area, so no shoot little or doe. Now I may even shoot a doe not far from truck, in the fall archery season. As I may (??) get surgery on my other knee in late December. So no late season for me, were I always save my doe tags for.

Since this is a crossbow thread I'd like to know what's up with what was discussed at the January UBP members meeting. I have not brought it up as I was taking a wait and see. I know it's said by some not bring this up on social media,, But my emails to the UBP on this have gone 100% unanswered. Basically I tried to get the minutes of meeting so I could know what's going on. Are the members going to be polls on crossbows and are the minutes going to be published in the news letter for the members to read. These 2 things were discussed at the January meeting. Here's my email ( [email protected] ) if any board member or member would like to chat with me about it. Respectfully Ed Rogalski

25-Sep-23
Outstanding Perry, excellent shot!

Congrats on a great deer and finding a bow that works for you!

Shoot arrows, stay safe and have fun.

25-Sep-23
Thanks Jim! Little higher than I would have liked, but it got the job done and we found her, so it all worked out. She came in quick and stopped with her head behind a tree so I didn’t have much time to grab the bow, sight in and shoot. If she had taken 2 more steps she would have been in the thick stuff with no clear shot..................

25-Sep-23
Good for you Perry. Hope you stay healthy.

25-Sep-23
Congrats Perry, well done, nice one!!

I respect everyone's opinions above, but for me I'd do what it takes to stay in the woods and hunt no matter what weapon.

25-Sep-23
Good on you.

3 years ago an 8 yr old boy killed a deer using his #35 longbow. At age 9 he killed another doe with his longbow. 35# is the minimum permitted in Pa. His bow probably weighed less than 1/2 lb. It’s MY OPINION, if you can’t carry, draw and shoot, a lightweight bow, how can one, manage to carry an awkward cumbersome, hard to draw and hold, weapon?

I’m currently sick and tired of being tired and in pain. If it isn’t my deconditioned legs, now I have 2 strained biceps. Right shoulder has been in pain for nearly 1 year. I found that I can’t pull my bow straight up to shoot. I discovered at Greencastle, that if I turn my upper body and pull up to shoot as I turn back into shooting position, I can shoot without pain. I have shot ETAR, Greencastle, and Seneca with these issues, generally shooting by myself at my rate of walk, and unless Jared goes with me, I let everyone know, that I’m on the course. I also babysit my 15 month old grandson 3 days a week.

A #35 to #40 longbow will be the last weapon I’ll hunt with. After discussing these issues, I’m heading to the Dr in 2 weeks to see if I have a pinched nerve in both shoulders.

25-Sep-23
Good job Perry! Hopefully it's just the first of many with the new bow.

26-Sep-23
Nice job perry. Nice doe , love ?? archery hunting , in my 39th archery season.. love bowhunting and flintlock hunting ... good luck test of season to all us bowhunters , enjoy the beauty of the woods in October and November, be safe ...

26-Sep-23
THANKS guys! And good luck to everyone this season!

Dale- gettin’ old ain’t for sissies! ;-). Hope the doc can get you on the mend or at least reduce your pain a bit!

Started working out with weights again this Summer for upper body and plenty of cardio and stairclimber for the legs. Feeling better than I have in a couple years. Think the 15 min of lifting I been doing 2-3x/wk is really helping! I think that was a big part of my problem last season! Now I just have to try not to fall down this winter and screw up my body again! ;-)

26-Sep-23
No doubt there are folks much worse off than I, that are begging for life! In my case it was my own stupid doing….

26-Sep-23
Good stuff, Perry. Keep with your fitness program.

For everyone else, including Grandpa Hajas, it's never too late to get in better shape.

26-Sep-23
Good job perry.. love hunting with the bow, .. ?? ... and flintlock ... to all the bowhunters have a great October and November in the woods, good luck , be safe

26-Sep-23
Congratulations Perry.

27-Sep-23
Yep! Thanks guys! I ended the most sedentary 2 years of my life.......................didn’t do much but go to work, come home and sit on the couch watching tv after dinner. I used (the after effects of)the snakebite as an excuse NOT to work out. In reality, after 3+ years I got most of my ankle/foot range of motion back, so it was just an excuse. I still have balance, discomfort and swelling issues at times, but if I am honest, it is mostly an annoyance at this point- NOT a functional limitation.

So now I just have to make sure I keep the fitness program a priority 4-5 days/wk!

28-Sep-23
Congrats Perry!!

29-Sep-23

Will tell's embedded Photo
Will tell's embedded Photo
This is my 60th hunting season. I’m 72 and am using a 40# Martin Savanna Stealth longbow. Shoots great out to 25 yards

29-Sep-23
Thanks Gene!

Nice Will!

01-Oct-23
Looks like a sissy bow! ;^) Where do you plug it in at?

You got a bum shoulder and a snake bit leg, Man you are putting on some rough mileage! Glad you got out and had a good time.

03-Oct-23
LOL Mike! Sounds like something ‘ol RC would say! ;-)

Yep- tryin’ to keep these old parts moving....................at least enough to kill a deer or 2! : )

03-Oct-23
Sure is, anyone know how the old boy is doing? Still drinking that purple antifreeze or does Chris have him in a rocker under a warm blanket?

I found that the older I get, the more active I need to be. So far my only real issues are my hands. My fingers don't seem to work very well. Trigger finger, bone spurs and good old arthritis. One of these days I'll have to go see a doc about it.

04-Oct-23
I talked to him last year. He sold his camper and bought a cabin/camp up in the Northern Tier. SOunds like he is doing well and loving life! : )

04-Oct-23
Hi Spider, long time no see. Good to see ya still around. Yep, Roy and Chris are enjoying their camp and time together. Though I don't know how how she continues to put up with him :)

04-Oct-23
Hey Jeff, How are you. I'm gonna send you a pm in a little bit, once I remember how to do it...

Yes, Chris is a saint.

05-Oct-23
You guys still at it huh

• Sitka Gear