Dr. Williams 17-Aug-23
longbeard 17-Aug-23
longbeard 17-Aug-23
Big Dog 17-Aug-23
N8tureBoy 19-Aug-23
Big Dog 20-Aug-23
N8tureBoy 20-Aug-23
06-Aug-23
I know we discuss it every season, but remember to check yourself daily. Been a horrible year for them so far. Last week I had a bunch of mosquito bites around neck and upper back, so didn't give it much thought when I felt a raised spot on rear right armpit. I still felt it this morning and thought maybe it was an ingrown hair. Looked in the mirror and a definite bullseye rash....again. 4th time. I'll call the Dr's office tomorrow and get some doxi. I've pulled a couple of the Itty-bitty ticks off, not knowing if they were nymphs or Lyme ticks, plus a dozen regular sized wood ticks. Hate the little basturds.

06-Aug-23
Yup they make me rethink if going in the woods anymore is worth it.

06-Aug-23
Dang things- - Lyme sucks. Takes a toll on the joints. Be safe wear repellant.

06-Aug-23
Read an article that said when you get ticks on you pay attention to the type of grass, foliage, terrain, etc and try to avoid it . This is often impossible when scouting. Spray clothes , repellent on exposed skin, tuck pants into rubber boots or high socks, wear light colored clothes, shower and check when you get home and pick off ticks on clothes while scouting as soon as you see them. Show 'em who's boss, LOL. I wear a head net too; it seems to help. I get a lot on me when dragging deer which I hope to do this fall. Bottom line : it's always something ; can't stop living or hunting.

06-Aug-23
Set the camera up and came out with 5 !

06-Aug-23
Big Dog - I changed some straps on a stand this weekend and wish I had the foresight to bring a headnet. I think I donated a pint of blood by the the time I got back…

07-Aug-23
I work in the woods everyday. It’s been a crazy year for ticks. I pull three or four out of me every week and take multiple off of my daily; usually small deer ticks. Three out of the five members of my team have gotten tick born illnesses, one being Lyme. I have been lucky so far and found all of them. Over half the ticks I pull out of me are dead. I guess they can’t handle the obscene amount of caffeine in my body lol

07-Aug-23
I have also pulled dead ones out, found this rather odd.

07-Aug-23
I had long standing Lyme Dis. . Had swollen knees and right elbow that had to be drained. Elbow never healed properly requiring switch to Xbow. Never got to thank that tick, lol.

07-Aug-23
Set the camera up yesterday and was there for over an hour with shorts on. Not one tick. I think it has a lot to do with body make up of some kind. I must be as sour as I’ve been told. Lol

07-Aug-23
" Last week I had a bunch of mosquito bites around neck and upper back, "

Thermacell has been spoken of many times on this site. Get one and become a believer. I've got both the butane and rechargeable units, which really work well. Another Item I've recently bought is an electronic zapper. One plugs into wall outlets for indoor insect destruction and the other is rechargeable for outdoor use

Ants have been a problem at my home for years, until I began using pellets around the foundation, however, those tiny ants seem to get between the pellets and have been a plague on my second floor porch. So, a half cup of sugar and two tablespoons of borax mixed with hot water have eliminated those tiny ants too. I soaked pieces of paper towel and left them on ant trails and filled soda bottle caps to station where ants have been seen, PRESTO! WHAM! They're gone.

07-Aug-23
2WB it’s funny you mention those electric bug zappers. I’m not sure where it was but I was just reading an article about a “conservation” group that was protesting against their use. They claimed that the zappers are killing bugs indiscriminately and many innocent non targeted bugs are dying. SMH.

07-Aug-23
LB, Oh, the humanity. What's wrong with us when we unflinchingly kill non target bugs ? What sort of image does this portray to the rest of the world ? I'm wicked despondent,lol.

07-Aug-23
I know BD. Hillary was correct for calling us deplorable and despicable!! I don’t know how I can live with myself!

07-Aug-23
LMAO

07-Aug-23
2WB, I have a thermally, wasn't using it at the time, if it was same evening. Wouldn't have helped with the ticks though. I also didn't spray down.

08-Aug-23
Agree it's been terrible year for ticks. Even with permethrin on my hunting/scouting clothes i've seen them/.

08-Aug-23
I saw a recipe on line recently for "Choco tick cookies"..... The caption said....if you can't beat em ..eat em

10-Aug-23
Turkeys eat ticks. Gotta love that.

14-Aug-23
What really scare me is the new population of lone star ticks. They can transmit alpha gal and make one develop an “allergy” to red meat. That would suck if I had to take up acorn eating instead…

14-Aug-23
N8, I asked my doctor if he has seen it yet. Said no, and hopes he doesn't.

16-Aug-23
The new conspiracy theory is that Alpha Gal was created so people don’t eat meat. The ticks were genetically modified. Now before anyone thinks that is totally nuts did Bill Gates not modify mosquitoes and release them in Florida and Georgia where coincidentally there are now cases of malaria.

17-Aug-23
Alpha gal wasn't "created." It is a naturally-occurring sugar found in non-primate mammals, which is the vast majority of mammal species. The problem arises when that sugar is introduced to primates through the tick bite of the lone star tick which had previously obtained a successful bloodmeal from a non-primate mammal.

17-Aug-23
What he said!! ^^

17-Aug-23
What he said!! ^^

17-Aug-23
Alpha gal ?Where is she ?

19-Aug-23
Like an alpha male dog, but the bite is worse.

20-Aug-23
N8, A heavy duty love bite. At 81 yrs old I'm not getting any volunteers , LOL

20-Aug-23
Be careful. I hear they can not only make you allergic to red meat but also take half of your assets

• Sitka Gear