horsethief51 's embedded Photo
12 yards from the ladder stand.
12 yards from the ladder stand.
Again, close. (Even) Rut could make these shots
Again, close. (Even) Rut could make these shots
I recently retrieved my trail cam sd cards and I have 4 pictures of bears at 3 locations. I previously had pictures in May and June (nearby) at a fourth camera. I usually would have waited until later to buy I bear license but this year I got it when I picked up the rest of my tags. Just wonder how the bear outlook is around your hunting spots.

07-Aug-23
We are about 5 miles north of the Allegheny River and maybe 12 miles from the Clarion. Good big hardwoods, steep high hills, lots of dark hollows (big rocks, mountain laurel & hemlocks) leading down to the river and some farmland on back roads. Good bear habitat here.

07-Aug-23

Getting close to Rut's maximum range.
Getting close to Rut's maximum range.
Almost forgot about this photo. I took a bear in this spot a couple years ago in bow season. Its about 17 yards from the stand.

07-Aug-23
We did have a bear get killed on ridge pike in limerick last year, but no sightings in this part of Pennsylvania yet.

07-Aug-23
LOL! The day I can’t make a 12 yard shot................... ;-)

Haven’t seen a lot of Bear locally yet. But I don’t run trail cameras.

08-Aug-23
2021 bear sightings were good. 2022, sighting were down, 2023, sighting are up. Back in June I was driving on a dirt road, half hourafter dark, not fast. I hit a bear. About 125lbs. Didn't hit it hard, maybe 20-25 mph. Got up and ran. Got only two cameras out, didnt check them. I put them out right before I got my knee replaced. So whats on them I dont know. Hopefully in a few weeks I'll be able to check them and get more cameras out.

08-Aug-23
You are about 6 miles from my area and we have a healthy population this year. They all but disappear during bear season though.

08-Aug-23
Keep working on that knee Ed! 6 miles from me or Ed, Chris?

08-Aug-23
I'm on the other side of the river from you Art. 6mi as the crow flies.

08-Aug-23
Next time I am out visiting Art, I'll give you the heads up Chris. If you are around,maybe we can meet for lunch at the Korner Restaurant or All Stars in East Brady...............................

08-Aug-23
Sounds good!

08-Aug-23
Great!

08-Aug-23
I can be in East Brady in 20 minutes! Just say when! :)

Good bear population here too. I dont do the trail cam thing but I see them on occasion. Sometimes on the game lands, sometimes in my back yard. Saw one swimming across the lake at Moraine a couple years ago. They're good swimmers.

08-Aug-23
What? I never knew you were that close to Art! Yeah, we could make it a mini-Bowsite gathering! : )

09-Aug-23
Maybe a little fishing and shooting too? I haven't seen Jeff or his crazy bows for ages. I have a pond and I have targets too. Jeff is upstream, right? A bear was seen swimming about 100 yards down the river in West Monterey this summer.

09-Aug-23

09-Aug-23

And I picked mushrooms already that go nicely with venison (chipped steak) with onions and peppers on a hoagie roll..

09-Aug-23
That looks GREAT Art! I can almost taste it...................

09-Aug-23
Yeah....sure just forget about us guys in the Lancaster York area...

09-Aug-23
LOL TOm! Art is coming to the 5C hunt this year so maybe he will bring some "goodies" with him...................................... ;-)

09-Aug-23
Thanks Art, your one picture looks like it must of had two bear in it. The one that looks like the bear had a tail.

Tom, a few years back I had so much deer and bear meat, I gave a bunch of bear meat away at the 5c hunt.

10-Aug-23
We must have a couple bears in the neighborhood..................just had a 250-300 lb bear cross the road in front of me 2 miles from the house this morning. And last night the wife said our next door neighbor said we had a large bear in our yard yesterday. Probably not the same bear since “large” for our area in the Poconos is considered to be 500-600 lbs.......................

11-Aug-23
Bradford/ Sullivan county line in 3B. We are loaded with those buggers.

12-Aug-23

Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Teeton's embedded Photo
Saw this guy out back of the house the other night. I've seen a lot of bear over the years. Some would have a rub spot or two. This ones hair is just thin all over, front, back, sides.

12-Aug-23

tobywon's embedded Photo
tobywon's embedded Photo
First cinnamon color phase we’ve had on camera in PA. Looks like a nice size too.

13-Aug-23
That’s a beautiful color Paul! We had a cub in our yard years ago that was very similar and had a radio collar. And I actually had one come in while I was turkey hunting that I would call Blonde. It was very small and it was feeding with it’s head down and I thought it was a golden retriever at first. When the head came up I realized it was a bear!

Teeton- I’m guessing your bear has mange...................

13-Aug-23
I saw my first PA bear in 1976 rifle season and it was a cinnamon phase 400 pounder in the game lands north of Strattenville. I have seen several bears over the years but never one of those again. I found out that about 2 weeks ago over in West Monterey a black bear went in the River from the Armstrong County side and floated down stream for about 200 yards then got back out on the same side.

• Sitka Gear