Shoot’n 12’s 18-Sep-23
steve 18-Sep-23
CTBobcat 18-Sep-23
steve 18-Sep-23
Shoot’n 12’s 18-Sep-23
ARLOW 19-Sep-23
Hangnhunt 26-Sep-23
31-Aug-23
So who is going opening day this year? I am , my spot is being sold so I don’t have much time. Looking to get one opening afternoon , see what happens.

31-Aug-23
I gotta work opening day. - should be going Sunday or following weekends. Generally I only hunt the Am this time of year. Gives me time to haul out of woods etc

31-Aug-23
I'll be hunting 9/15 weather permitting.

31-Aug-23
Work

31-Aug-23
I'll be out on opening day. Just not CT's. Can't wait.

31-Aug-23
Swamp, good luck. Must be some nice country up there.

31-Aug-23
I'll be out opening day tomorrow. Fried squirrels yummmm

31-Aug-23
I’ll be out. Afternoon only the first week.

31-Aug-23
Same here afternoon sits for the week for me

31-Aug-23

soapdish's embedded Photo
Not sure yet. Depends on work schedule.... which fortunately can be optional. I have this guy that keeps coming by

31-Aug-23

Although this one is on my hit list.... tasty....lol

31-Aug-23
Don't know yet. Does and fawns have been in the yard daily scoffing up acorns. I love a good acorn crop.

01-Sep-23

CTBobcat's embedded Photo
Hope this 10pt sticks around. next week 90 degrees plus 4 days in a row. Closest water is 300-400 yards away down a steep hill. Hope he comes back up top for 9/15!

01-Sep-23
Does anyone have bucks out of velvet yet?

01-Sep-23
All my bucks still have velvet. One has a little piece off.

01-Sep-23

Bwhnt's embedded Photo
Bwhnt's embedded Photo
My boy got er done. Fried squirrel coming soon. Gonna try to make a white gravy with some fresh honey mushrooms this weekend to go with it.

01-Sep-23
Congrats.....tasty little buggers

01-Sep-23
I'll be on my recliner watching this website waiting for someones success!

Best of luck

01-Sep-23
I’ll miss the CT opener…

But I won’t be missing it.

At.

ALL……

Wish me luck;)

03-Sep-23

Swamp_Donkey's embedded Photo
Swamp_Donkey's embedded Photo
Here's one of the megas I'm after. I took this photo from my binos so it's super blurry, but youre looking at a 150's to 160's class 10 pointer. Lots of others around that I've glassed up in the bean fields

03-Sep-23
I'm hunting at least 5 different 10's all above 140's. Hopefully, they stick around. Also... Bucks here are now out of velvet. I'd say half have shed half are still on. Just an FYI

03-Sep-23
Today was the first buck out of velvet, all the rest still have it today.

03-Sep-23
I’d Like to shoot one in velvet

03-Sep-23
lol.

03-Sep-23
Only shot one in velvet ! Hunting over 50 years.

04-Sep-23
Swamp, hunting five different 10's ! Yer killin' me , LOL, ...sounds like the makings of an epic season.

04-Sep-23

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
Velvet buck

04-Sep-23
Five 10 pointer's over 140". In CT?

04-Sep-23
How did you preserve that velvet. I have been reading some info on it. I may have a decent opportunity at 1 I am getting daily. But who knows. Haha

04-Sep-23
The taxidermist I use Kevin , sends them out and they put on a synthetic coating. Much better than the real thing! Hard just getting it out of the woods without ruining it

05-Sep-23
5 different 10's all above 140's? holy shit

05-Sep-23
I have over 20 bucks none are near 140.

05-Sep-23
Wish I had 20 bucks let alone 140..lol

05-Sep-23
Notme....you don't make any cents :)

05-Sep-23
Soapdish is after a true CT 11 pointer.

08-Sep-23
I'll be out opening morning! Usually hunt mostly afternoons early season but alot of morning and mid day activity around me .

08-Sep-23
I can make corn cob holders from the antlers. Way more practical....

08-Sep-23
I'll have to wait til Saturday. Have to deal with two appointments for bat issues on Friday morning. Hopefully my bat season is over by Halloween this year.

11-Sep-23
I’ll be out opening morning . Have some real strong patterns with two good bucks on a north- type wind . Opening morning is calling for that wind ! Going to be set up 2 hours before first light .. that’s how strong the intel was

11-Sep-23
I might do an afternoon sit if it all falls into place with the family life. I have a great inside corner that has been producing opportunities since I started bowhunting there in 1995. Nice hay fields and big oaks in the woods. I don't even bother to scout it anymore. They will be there. Won't shoot a doe with young, or a fawn. Young buck, old buck, or dry doe and it will fly.

13-Sep-23
May have to wait til Sunday, Saturday looks like a blow out. Not sitting in a tree with 40-50 mph winds. Friday is still a no go for me.

13-Sep-23
The patterns have been changing the last 2 days.

14-Sep-23
I wouldn’t really use the last two days of horrible wind and rain as a judge of if a patterns changing . Deer always do different stuff during big weather events. Like when that stud 6.5 year old buck is out in a wide open field at noon time during a blizzard feeding .

14-Sep-23
But on the other hand . Patterns definitely should be changing around rite now . So either way get on em tomorrow if you have em

14-Sep-23
Friday and Sunday look promising

14-Sep-23

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
This is not helping

14-Sep-23
tomorrow no excuses LOL

14-Sep-23
Should be a good opener with cool temps. I had a new string put on last week and haven't had time to sight it in. If I get a chance I may go in the evening. Good luck to those heading out.

14-Sep-23
The excitement is building . Two more hours of work. Not expecting much sleep tonight , to excited

14-Sep-23
Friday heavy winds.

14-Sep-23
Friday morning is certainly not calling for winds … 5-8 mph out of the north north east .. real feel of 48 where I’m hunting at 7 am . Coldest morning in a month . Should be a great morning if you’ve done the homework

14-Sep-23
Gd luck kid.

14-Sep-23
2WB - not tomorrow. Looking good all day - light breeze to cover movement. Saturday - not so much.

14-Sep-23
Will be in Maine this weekend. Good luck to all tomorrow!

15-Sep-23
4:45 this morning I was on a hilltop looking for the comet and the eastern exposure was quite windy as the cloud cover moved in from that direction. I went home, downhill west of that hilltop and the breeze was less, but now, 6AM, I can barely see the ground and the wind is picking up. I expect by daylight it will be a brisk and gusty day.

Good hunting you all.

15-Sep-23
After treestand flatulence check for downward thermals.

15-Sep-23
Many squirrels this AM, that’s about it! No deer or bear. Saw acorns everywhere. Gonna be a great season. viel Glück!

18-Sep-23
I'm usually out in the am, but only got a 2 hr sit in the afternoon, so i went to a property that is typically a good evening sit. Had a nice buck at 25 yards for a while, but he was in the one spot where I don't have a shooting clear lane. He was a bit antsy with the swirling wind, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get busted. Nice start to the season.

Good luck to all - I saw some pics of some nice deer taken

18-Sep-23

I hunted opening day Friday. Only saw one deer (a velvet spike). As it got light I noticed a brand new ladderstand 50yds from me. It was empty, but I checked it out on the way out. Corn, apples, some white bucket, etc. Is this anyone on the forum? I left my number tied to the stand so hopefully I can talk to the guy so we don’t run into each other another day. He had a spypoint cam locked to a tree so I waved thinking maybe it’s cell cam and hell come check soon. Oh and the next day got a big bear pic.

18-Sep-23

Bear pic.

18-Sep-23
CT - Is that public land??

18-Sep-23

UWShunter's embedded Photo
UWShunter's embedded Photo
Another Bear pic.

18-Sep-23
Is that baiting on public land? If it is good luck on meeting that guy! Hahahah. It’s illegal to bait on public land. Private only in specific zones

18-Sep-23
CT, that guy had quite a spread laid out for the deer. I could be wrong , but isn't that illegal in CT. outside of urban management areas?

18-Sep-23
CTBob, I'd ask the property owner who else has permission on that place. It makes sense to coordinate who is hunting where and when. If it's public land, someone is getting busted, probably best to get out of there to make sure it's not you.

18-Sep-23
That bait site looks like it’s for bears not deer…..

18-Sep-23
On ONX it looks really close between private and town land. It is unit 11, so baiting is legal on private. Just not sure 100% sure it's on private, but since it's so close to where I hunt, i was hoping to talk to the guy

18-Sep-23
Blood that would be even more illegal as there’s no bear hunting in ct.

18-Sep-23
IF this guy is dumb enough to leave bait out on public he’s prob dumb enough not to shoot a deer over it. Also ct how did you stumble across this? Hunting? Did you cross into someone’s private land? You do realize that you need written permission to walk onto someone else property regardless if it’s posted or not. You don’t know if it’s private or public you should probably do some researching so that you’re not trespassing. There are a million different ways to find this out, some free and some you pay for. So technically I guess you are in the wrong if this is private as zone 11 I believe allows baiting and you clearly don’t have written permission to be on there. I am constantly dealing with people trespassing on a few of our farms. It’s irresponsible, irritating, and just disrespectful. Not implying you are just in general.

18-Sep-23

steve's embedded Photo
steve's embedded Photo
why does it look like a bear site? photo a friend sent me. private zone 11

18-Sep-23
Lol Steve. Who puts out a 6 gallon bucket of wine juice on a tray with corn for deer?? I wonder what is in the bucket?

18-Sep-23
Shootin 12's - according to ONX is it town/state land. I saw the stand with my binoculars and after my morning hunt I walked over. I hike/walk that town/state land all the time. It wasn't there a few days prior.

18-Sep-23
Blood - I didn't touch anything, but my only guess was the bucket was filled with corn and tray was a gravity type feeder where it flows out onto tray? No clue. Just guessing.

18-Sep-23
Blood grape smell with the corn ? brings them in so they find the corn. .

18-Sep-23
Blood grape smell with the corn ? brings them in so they find the corn. .

18-Sep-23
So it’s not private? You seemed pretty unsure. If that’s the case then he’s hunting illegally and you should notify the proper people. Enough idiots in the woods legally, we don’t need anymore.

18-Sep-23
Hahha Steve grape wine? You guys have all the secret baiting tips and tricks! Love seeing big bucks shot over 50lbs of corn! Gets my heart pumping. I am a wine connoisseur and like corn. I’ll keep it for myself

18-Sep-23
Although that’s a pretty ingenious way to attract them!

18-Sep-23
cant bait Mass shootn12 ??

18-Sep-23
The other odd thing is the bait is like literally 2-3 yards from his stand. I've never hunted over bait but shouldn't it be farther away for a shot?

18-Sep-23
too close is no good!

18-Sep-23
No baiting in mass. Well you can but it has to be “completely gone” 30 days before season starts I think. Plenty of ppl do it. I don’t personally. I think it’s harder to shoot over bait than non bait. Once they know it’s there along with a hunter they’ll hit it during the night time non hunting hours. Few days at start of season you can prob get lucky and shoot one but after that they’ll be locked on and Rut anything can happen. They aren’t as dumb as everyone thinks.

19-Sep-23
10 days before the season 12

26-Sep-23
Anybody know a deer butcher in the on the eastern shoreline area? Old saybrook haddam any area around there ?

• Sitka Gear