Blood 07-Sep-23
Corax_latrans 08-Sep-23
Big Dog 08-Sep-23
Corax_latrans 08-Sep-23
N8tureBoy 08-Sep-23
Thisismyhandle 08-Sep-23
Notme 10-Sep-23
04-Sep-23
Who is shooting them, and what size? I set up two new recurves this spring , one for 3D/hunting, the other for just hunting. I'm shooting .166, 500 spine with 3D bow. .204, 500 with the other. Curious how they hold up to deer hunting. I assume they get broken at same rate as wood or aluminum. Maybe splintering in the meat? What has your experience been?

04-Sep-23
Hi Brian, I shoot them. I think everyone does. But I don’t shoot a recurve. Maybe someone with expertise in that arena can help.

Carbon are either straight or broken. I also shoot a very stiff spine, unlike recurve. I’d love to learn more about shooting a recurve.

05-Sep-23
Myself as well as all the guys I know shooting recurve/longbow shoot carbons. Never had or seen an issue with splintering in meat. They hold up well with pass thrus without hitting rocks at exit. I've had a few snap if it wasn't a pass thru. Just flex them after the shot, pretty easy to see or hear if they got damaged.

05-Sep-23
Perhaps arrow manufacturers corrected the splintering problem; we don't hear much about it anymore. Ingesting carbon splinters would not be good. If I suspected splinters I'd make a wide cut around that area when processing.

05-Sep-23
I shoot a compound, I shot carbons for a while, went back to aluminums. Aluminums seem easier to work with, lot of spine options, and cheaper. I don't see any reason to go back to carbons.

05-Sep-23
Carbon is the only way to go. It’s not 1990 anymore. Aluminum bends causing arrow flight inconsistencies, carbon does not.

05-Sep-23
Different strokes Coondog.

I wouldn't say anything is the "only" way to go. If you like carbons, great, then stick with them.

05-Sep-23
I went from aluminum to wood with my Bear recurve and longbow. This will be my first season with carbons. I've done a couple 3D's and trashed 2 arrows on rocks. Can't wait to try them on a deer. Thanks for the replies.

05-Sep-23
Most of the splintering that people associate with carbon were with the original Carbon arrows that were pultruded, like the original Beaman arrows that were made in France. The carbon strands were all aligned longitudinally so when they broke, they broke in varying lengths and were not clean. I will say this, I seldom if ever remember shooting an animal with one of those where the arrow didn't pass through. They were the original small diameter arrow shaft they hit very hard. Splintering in an animal wasn't a huge concern because of the propensity to pass through. The new shafts are wrapped with different direction strands, they tend to break clean. Carbon is typically much stronger than aluminum and wood. They can take a much more severe impact than either wood or aluminum generally, and stay together. They do break, just not as easily. Like was said previously, they are either straight or broken.

06-Sep-23
“ I don't see any reason to go back to carbons.”

Well….

I’m about to name my newest bow “Destroyer”. I’m shooting it rather well (if I do say so!), but when I get off into something hard, it’s been Ugly. I guess the up-side is that now I’ll never run short of footings again… LOL

Fortunately, a GT Trad 500 spine is exactly the right diameter to have the front end reinforced with a bit of 2117; on a lot of my arrows I use the 2117 inserts and on a hard enough hit I’ll wreck the aluminum but the carbon will remain intact and I can reuse the arrow. Too bad the 400s are too fat, but I guess I’m lucky because I now have my daily driver tuned with 400 spine + a 200 gr point AND/OR a 500 with 125-150, so I have basically a target arrow and a hunting arrow for a bow which doesn’t usually exact too great a penalty for the misses.

Destroyer is far less forgiving, but at about #60, she’s not a bow you take out on the course and take 5-10 shots/target…..

06-Sep-23

Corax_latrans's embedded Photo
Shooting the line at 40 yards. Chartreuse is 400s, white/orange nocks are 500s.

I was pretty pleased by this bunch…

06-Sep-23

06-Sep-23
I hope you don’t take 40 yard shots at deer.

06-Sep-23

I suppose I’ll be chastised also for practicing in low light, such as is often encountered in hunting situations.
I suppose I’ll be chastised also for practicing in low light, such as is often encountered in hunting situations.
No, Gerry, I’m not advocating 40-yard shots at deer, but it IS kinda nice to be grouping into a nice, tight line at that range, especially with bare shafts to confirm that my arrows aren’t doing anything wonky on their way down-range…. In either configuration.

Kinda comical though, to be criticized for practicing at longer range than I expect to shoot while hunting.

And interesting, too, that nobody rags on a compound shooter for practicing at 40…

Or for shooting 45 yards down into a shady hole, 25 minutes after sunset…. Because legal light runs ‘til half past in most places….

06-Sep-23

Destroyer did a bit of a number on this one….

06-Sep-23
I was wondering what a line of arrows were for??? Personally I don’t shoot over 25 yards and that’s with a Xbox. I like to see the whites of their eyes. Never shot over 20 with my compound. I am good at getting them in close. LOL

06-Sep-23
Steve, 25 yds is a pretty long shot in my deer woods. I do not shoot beyond that because of thick swamp cover and because that's the limit of my ability.

06-Sep-23
Big dog, smart guy!!!!

06-Sep-23

Blood's embedded Photo
This 3D shot was about 45 yards between the trees and under some overhanging branches.
Blood's embedded Photo
This 3D shot was about 45 yards between the trees and under some overhanging branches.
I practice at all ranges out to 100 yards or so. But I haven’t shot many deer past 25 yards in my lifetime. And most are within 20 yards. I love them close.

07-Sep-23
She got the gold mine and I got the (carbon) shaft.

07-Sep-23
You’re not wrong, BD! I think my average on whitetails is under 25 for all manner of weapons. Partially for ricochet prevention with firearms, but even up north in MN where you take the first legal buck or plan to eat your tag, when a buck showed up on the trail of a doe that had passed under my stand, I let him come to 5 yards just for the Stoke. With a basically sub-MOA, scoped 7-08, I suppose I just maybe could have dropped him a bit sooner…. ;)

“I was wondering what a line of arrows were for??? ”

Being able to shoot the line is what separates Archery from Spray and Pray. And if you can shoot the line with bare shafts, then you know you’re Tuned.

So when I’m tuning, I make no effort to judge the distance — actually make it a point to NOT try to keep the elevation consistent any more than strictly necessary, lest I get into a fixed sight picture unknowingly— and I worry only about whether my arrows are grouping Right to Left.

So basically on that 40-yard target, I’m shooting a couple inches wide, with bare shafts impacting a shade to the right, indicating a slightly weak spine. As they SHOULD, so the correct way to interpret that group is not as one group of 11 consecutive shots, but 3 groups of 3 and one of 2.

I recall getting more lateral spread in my groups at 40 yards with a compound, pins, peep, trigger, etc. So I’m feeling very well Tuned and shooting better than I really have any right to….

Pretty sure that there aren’t a lot of guys who are shooting much better than that with sights at “around” 40 yards without a marked or lasered range to work with.

And this weekend I’m going to shoot a 3D course I’ve never seen before, so we’ll keep everything to Playing For Keeps distances, because it’s that time of year….

07-Sep-23
BD. Jerry Reed?

07-Sep-23
Yup, I loved it when Jerry got together with Burt Reynolds. I watch the old Gunsmoke reruns with Burt. Hope your healing is progressing well. I've got a feeling you're gonna get your deer once the Doc gives you the green light. It'll be epic !!

07-Sep-23

07-Sep-23
Steve getting them close is the challenge. Not being busted is the challenge. Shooting an animal at 50-100 yards is no challenge and not ethical. Bigger animals such as elk, grizzly etc then sure take that 50-100 yard shot as their vitals are the size of a basketball backboard.

07-Sep-23
CL, I've never shot the line but I try to walk the line.

07-Sep-23
Both will do you good ;)

But you have to remember that I grew up at 5300 feet and started my bowhunting career at twice that. My first deer was a 1.5 YO mulie buck at 28 yards… and that’s not a long shot in thin air. The cover is different, the terrain is different, the animals are different, and God knows the animal population density is From Another Planet. If you want a buck-only tag, good luck in the lottery, but at least Elk are OTC…. So I train all the time as if I have plans to hunt Elk “this weekend”….

I don’t much care for people treating bows as a 50-yard weapon even out West, because in the hands of most, it simply ISN’T, but the whole “instinctive” business of treating 8” at 20 yards (and let’s face it, it’s really more like 17-18) as some kind of gold standard has worn very thin with me.

07-Sep-23

Blood's embedded Photo
71 yards at a recent 3D shoot.
Blood's embedded Photo
71 yards at a recent 3D shoot.
Corax, I know you shoot a recurve or long bow …. But I can put a compound in someone’s hand who has never shot a bow and have them shooting 6” groups at 20 yards all day long. The technology right now is incredible. I’m not advocating shooting far, but shoot what you’re confident in. And remember, a target isn’t an animal.

08-Sep-23

Don’t call it a line fer nuthin…. ;)
Don’t call it a line fer nuthin…. ;)

Corax_latrans's Link
I hear ya.. 30-some years ago, one of my best friends picked up a compound and was shooting into 4” at 20 in about a half an hour. No release, no peep, 50% let-off. No problem. And the stuff that has become available since then IS incredible. Instant competence and practically twice the velocity, pretty much. Really pretty scary…

I bought a used Contraption — a quite good one — a couple years before Sandy hit, but honestly… yes, itty-bitty groups at KNOWN distances, but as far as solid, killing hits are concerned — or 3D scores, for that matter— it didn’t do anything for me that a recurve didn’t do. I actually scored higher with the recurve, but only because I could have the occasional release glitch and still score a 5 or a raggedy 8. Pick the wrong pin and it’s hard to not get a zero.

And once the range started to look like maybe I should go to that second pin, that was when the quiver got light. Quickly. So I ended up trading the Contraption for this little longbow. We get along pretty well.

(I have no real idea what the range was on the Squatch; I’d say closer to 50 than 40 or 60, but closer to 60 than 40…)

08-Sep-23

08-Sep-23

And 3 more… might have to zoom in a bit.

Best guess on range would be 80-90.

And the relevance to the OP here is that I could never afford to take shots like this with aluminum… Breakage would kill me!

And because carbons are just SOOO much tougher to break around the club (thank God) that I would expect a substantially lower breakage rate unless you lodge the arrow in the off shoulder. I’m one for one with carbon breaking in a deer — the arrow passed between spinous processes at a a steep, downward angle and topped the off lung before poking through; the shaft was a Beman Hunter and it snapped cleanly against one of the processes. I didn’t see any sign of carbon dust or splinters in the wound channel but I did trim out some just as a common sense thing.

But the point on tuning— everybody says carbons outpenetrate aluminum or wood, but they won’t do nearby as well if they’re not Tuned. Hence the Shooting The Line digression.

Overall, I kinda have to assume that if carbons breaking off in the animals and contaminating a lot of meat were a big problem, we’d be back to aluminum by now (just as the longitudinal fiber carbons have been replaced by the current standard). And even though I had originally planned on hunting with 2117s this year, I’ll be shooting carbons, because that’s what tuned for me at the weight & length I wanted.

I may come up with a 2117 “deer load” yet, but for now I’m putting the mass in the head as steel instead of in the shaft as aluminum….

08-Sep-23
Brian - I shoot a compound bow with carbon arrows. Have had a few break off when they didn't pass through. Clean breaks. I like the consistency and ease of switching heads, etc.

I grew up shooting wooden arrows from a recurve bow. I miss the aesthetics of a wooden arrow with natural fletching. It felt a lot more like "archery". Just like how I enjoy coffee from a pater cup much more than a plastic travel mug. Same drink, but it feels better in my hand and is more enjoyable to me. I would switch back to a recurve with wooden arrows in a minute if I had more time to practice.

08-Sep-23
I shoot fiberglass arrows

10-Sep-23

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/pkFZN0IQtXk?si=XRdFbr2To5h-xYON

• Sitka Gear