Grasshopper 06-Sep-23
Stix 06-Sep-23
Glunt@work 06-Sep-23
Paul@thefort 08-Sep-23
Glunker 08-Sep-23
Keepitreal 22-Sep-23
Jaquomo 02-Oct-23
06-Sep-23
Just heard from a good friend that works for CPW that the wildlife commission is discussing with the staff to make archery season the last 2 weeks of August. The rationale is archery is a recreational method of take, is not a part of the game management scheme, it will end any overlap with rifle an ML seasons, and they want a very limited rifle elk season in September that will ensure the same harvest numbers with much less hunter crowding and safety concerns. Just a heads up of what's coming down the pipe

06-Sep-23
Terrible idea

06-Sep-23
Not going to happen. We originally had archery deer and elk opening mid August. The Colorado Cattlemans Association got that eliminated and they will likely succeed at preventing it coming back.

06-Sep-23
I had heard something similar, but it is being done legislatively. Would move archery into August for safety reasons to eliminate any overlap with firearms/muzzleloader seasons. Replaced in Sept with a severly limited rifle season or season which would eliminate the crowding issue because succedess rates would be so high, objectives could be met with 20% of the hunters. Plus appease the anti bowhunting crowd who feels there should be no "recreational hunting". I understand the cattlemen are on board because it would also be a very limited entry August hunt. Also appeases the hiking crowd as now they can see orange where people are hunting and stay away, as well as a group of rifle hunters who feel archery equipment has evolved too much to warrant a long season.

Very sad times ahead for Colorado bowhunting.

06-Sep-23
Great, the hottest 2 weeks of the year. If it is for safety. I'll wear blaze or pink.

06-Sep-23
Bowhunting elk is growing a lot compared to rifle. We should actually be extending archery season to spread out and reduce pressure.

Many states are trying all sorts of things to recruit and retain hunters. They would love to have the "problem" we have of a growing segment of hunting.

06-Sep-23
My understanding it's a rash response to the last incident where a bowhunter was shot by a ML hunter. He only got 30 days in jail with credit for time served.

06-Sep-23
Makes sense. One muzzleloader kills a bowhunter so the obvious solution is punish all future bowhunters.

Want to legislate something to save people recreating outdoors in Colorado? Take look at skiing/boarding (about 20 deaths per year) or swimming/water sports (around 40) or hiking (10).

No, I don't want those regulated away either, just saying.

06-Sep-23
Glunt, is the increase in hunters in Colorado due to residents taking up hunting, or the increase of nonresidents hunting here due to our unlimited OTC tags?

06-Sep-23
I don't know. My guess is that NR make up a bigger percentage of that growth.

Regardless, squeezing us all into 2 weeks instantly doubles crowding. Although NR may be going elsewhere since a an August season isn't that attractive.

06-Sep-23
I guess we are in the rumor phase of BGSS.

If you look at BGSS, right now CPW has until May to define and develop alternatives for presentation to the commission. CPW stated they will be taking more public input.

I would find it completely odd the proposal you are suggesting would make any cut because that idea was never suggested in any BGSS meeting or survey. The public weighed in a ton of ideas, that wasn't one of them.

I spoke to CPW's Big Game Manager right before the commission meeting, he mentioned totally limited licensing, status quo, and OTC for residents with a cap on NR's. All those had public input. I also spoke with a member of the internal CPW BGSS team. No one suggested the rumor you are promoting.

If you listened to the last commission meeting, one commissioner brought up elk movement as a concern. Crowding appears to be the other. Why would moving 44,000 archery elk hunters, and 9781 west of 25 archery deer hunters into a 2 week August season solve crowding or elk movement?

I'm calling BS on that rumor, but surely when the alternatives come out there will be several unpopular ideas. There always is.

Anything can happen, but for now I think someone is yanking your chain on purpose.

06-Sep-23
Grasshopper is right. Let's see what officially gets proposed before we get riled up.

I heard about this last week but was reluctant to post anything until the OP brought it up. Alot of rumors fly, but you gotta admit, the Colorado legislature is full of such silliness.

06-Sep-23
So, no pitchforks and torches yet? Obviously could just be a brainstorm idea someone threw out there. But, as Stix alluded to, terrible ideas getting implemented is less surprising than good stuff now.

08-Sep-23
Grasshopper is correct. The only BGSS idea that might have been misinterpreted, was from the CBA to start the early deer season in mid August and have it parallel the Pronghorn season. The Archery elk would still start on Sept 2 for the next 29 days.

I have never heard of such an idea as the op expresses, in listening to many CPW Commission and staff reports.

08-Sep-23
The archery hunt although a smaller part of game management, is still part of game management. It is also a revenue source to the state and community. Colorado seems interested in license revenue so by having a smaller number of rifle hunters in Sept they lose more revenue than they can handle. This idea seems to be from a barstool biologist.

22-Sep-23
I know it's not on the options list but I would think they could keep OTC with it's revenue but make it 6pt only. Then do a draw for an any elk tag and make more on those sales with the application fee. Keeps the meat hunters happy and the freedom to just go and hunt.

And and with all those OTC tags not shooting the first legal bull they see then it quite possibly could create more trophy units in a few years spreading the preference pont love.

02-Oct-23
A high ranking DOW (when it was "wildlife") told me years ago that their dream was to lump bowhunters and muzzleloaders into one 10 day season and "be done with us". Only reason they couldn't do that was because of the "damned CBA making so much noise". He did not know I was a bowhunter and CBA member when he told me this.

• Sitka Gear