Bowaddict 10-Sep-23
Glunker 12-Sep-23
Glunker 15-Sep-23
Bowaddict 15-Sep-23
Bowaddict 15-Sep-23
JohnMC 15-Sep-23
JBunn 29-Sep-23
09-Sep-23
I am accompanying my son on a unit 76 archery hunt. We started out at the Snowshoe mtn area. We have been in and out of the wilderness, mostly 10500 to 12000'. We are now near and above Hunter Lake at about 10500+. Still waiting to hear our first bugle, although we did finally have a bull sneak in and wind us. 3 guys that have been here from the start have yet to see or hear an elk. I expect to hear some as the bluebird weather is about to change, but does this seem normal? I hear one hunter gossip that bugling is slim to none in the state but I have no reports other than my own.

09-Sep-23
Hearing lots of bugles in the foothills west of Denver.

10-Sep-23
Glunker, you may need to relocate IMO. It was a rare day in. 3 separate bow hunts in 76 since 2017 that did not hear a good number of bugles per day. Including early part of season.

10-Sep-23
If your in territory with numbers you should be hearing bugles, few elk equals silence. Good elk numbers means chaos this time of year for elk which means bugling! Weather was warm where we were but if we were in a drainage with elk, they were bugling. Drainages with just a few we’re quiet, even where we saw lone bulls. They would not bugle. I would keep looking.

12-Sep-23
Well said Bowaddict. We moved on from our 2nd hunt area after a lot of searching. Beautiful country with no competition. Not sure why such great looking habitat is showing low populations.

15-Sep-23
Thethird move helped s we heard 2 bugles on Tues. Wed a bugling herd was noisy until 2:00. Thurs startd slow but there was mid morning bugling. I heard 4 ml shots wed and thur, 3 close by. My son shot 5 point thur, his last full hunting day. What gleaned from this is the first week of the season was slow hunting and to keep moving from good habitat to good habitat until the elk sign is thick so when the weather gets colder/wetter you can take advantage But then we all knew this. Good hunting.

15-Sep-23
Congrats to your son, way to get it done! Too many stick to one drainage no matter what and hope things turn around. I’m back up Saturday, passed a small 5x(normally don’t) first week and didn’t pursue a few other small ones. That changes next week……

15-Sep-23

15-Sep-23
Congrats! Let's see a picture

29-Sep-23
Way to go

• Sitka Gear