Bowhunting 5C's embedded Photo
Who is excited, predicting a 50 degree start and a high of 70's, not terrible I think. 5D+5C

09-Sep-23

09-Sep-23

10-Sep-23
Looking good John! Hoping the cool weather sticks around all week! NO MORE GATORADE POPSICLES! ;-)

10-Sep-23
I will be out for sure if the weather forecast holds up. Got a decent crop of smaller 14-15 inch 8 points and some smaller bucks around my early season stands. One really nice ten point but he is a very infrequent visitor. I will probably hold off on shooting a doe, although I know I should if the opportunity arises.

10-Sep-23
I'm heading out 2b in evening after work on early season , found decent spot good deer trails beaten down , steep hill side climb , low hunting pressure , no one wants to climb up steep hills no more

11-Sep-23
Keep an eye out for that escaped convict guys! Maybe a bowhunter can end this fiasco.................

11-Sep-23
Rut,

That's what the CCW is for.

11-Sep-23
That’s what I meant Tom. With all the Bowhunters going out in the woods who “carry”.........................

11-Sep-23
The state police blew up the phone's Saturday and Sunday with messages on this guy. He's very tiny.

11-Sep-23
Reminds me of when the manhunt was on for Eric Frien up in our area. Of course the area is much more isolated up here. I doubt this guy will be on the run for months.................

11-Sep-23
Good luck everyone and stay safe!

I'll be in the woods here in 2B on Saturday morning, can't wait.

13-Sep-23
Sh!tbird was captured. Alive, unfortunately.

13-Sep-23
Yeah, they made that mistake.

13-Sep-23
I thought maybe a bowhunter would find him and get the reward. Oh well....................

13-Sep-23
Not a chance. It wasn't the keystone cops that got him. The boys from border patrol slipped that headline.

14-Sep-23
Yeah, saw on the news they brought in a DEA plane with FLIR that spotted his heat signature at 1am..................

14-Sep-23
I'm surprised it took that long to get that plane there. When he first escaped and was in the wooded area I thought they would have him that night using infra-red.

14-Sep-23
They said on the news the FLIR does not work well when the ground/air temps are high- so they needed to wait until temps dropped.........................................

14-Sep-23
I figured there must be a reason.

15-Sep-23
Good luck to all that get on stand Saturday. Wear that safety harness!

15-Sep-23
YEP! Good Luck folks! I will be making crockpot meals to freeze for the 5C Hunt....................4 lbs each of venison BBQ and sausage and peppers for sammiches and enough seasoned taco meat(venison) for 50 tacos! ;-)

16-Sep-23

Big doe down in 5C. Lot's of acorns.

16-Sep-23
NICE John! Congrats!

16-Sep-23
Good job! Beautiful morning to be out there.

16-Sep-23
Nice. Congrats John!!

16-Sep-23
Meat!

16-Sep-23

Supernaut's embedded Photo
Supernaut's embedded Photo
Congrats on a great deer John!

Here is my doe from 9:20 this morning in 2B.

Shot with my Bear Grizzly at 15 yards and a 40 yard recovery.

In not 100% recovered from my rotator cuff surgery in January but it's enough to shoot and hunt. I'm blessed!

Good luck and stay safe everyone.

16-Sep-23
Way to go Jim!!

16-Sep-23
Dig it, good shooting! Congratulations.

16-Sep-23
I got to say, this first day weather wise is pretty awesome. Low humidity, breezy, 75. In recent memory we haven't seen an early opener like this in a long time. Back in 5C tonight, 5D on Monday afternoon if the rains hold off.

16-Sep-23
Good job Jim! Congrats! Can’t wait to get in my stand Thursday morning! : )

16-Sep-23
Have fun guys and post up pictures and stories.

16-Sep-23
Good shooting guys!

16-Sep-23
Congrats nice shots , my buddy saw 2 shooter bucks in 2b , I didn't see anything this evening after work ...

16-Sep-23
Just wondering if any of the deer shot today' was from hunter hunting on the ground , I hunt in my climber 99 percent of the time , but I have taken 2 bow shot deer from the ground and it was awesome, 1 doe 1 buck from last year on the ground... incredible rush from eye level.. but most of time I'm only up my climber 10 to 14 feet high .. mostly in early season eith lots of leaves and low canopy ... what's the average height do you guys climb ?

17-Sep-23
Shawn, I don't hunt from the ground. However. None of my stands are under 25'. I have 1 that's 33' up (2 pull ropes notted together) but that is a steep side hill stand. And when I do take my climber I have a pull rope 28' that tells me when to stop. Anything under 20-25 ' down here gets you busted too many times. They are conditioned to look up in the special regulations areas. Good luck with whatever makes you comfortable and successful.

17-Sep-23
Thanks guys!

Shawn, I'm about 70% from my climber and 30% from the ground sitting on a folding stool in natural cover. It really just depends on the situation.

My average height is about 12-15 feet. I really don't like a steep angle shot with my recurve. I used to climb pretty high when I hunted with a compound but I could shoot a much tighter group if that makes sense. I do agree with John about deer becoming conditioned to look up. It seems if I get busted once, especially by a big, old doe I need to look for a different tree to climb or switch to the ground. All part of the fun of hunting.

I killed that doe yesterday morning out of my climber and I was about 15 feet up.

Stay safe everyone, shoot arrows and have fun!

17-Sep-23
Yea I use to hunt higher when I was younger. Lol,, but I've killed many deer with a compound from 12 to 15 feet high... nice shooting supernaut , I know cover plays alot mostly in early season, I've got a stand I hunt 12 to 14 feet high cause of the low canopy I hardly ever get busted out of it , I hunt with a summit viper climber ..

18-Sep-23
Years ago, used to hunt from 25-30’ from my Loggy. About 15 years ago went to mostly hang-ons. Now, I’m somewhere around 15’.

19-Sep-23
Ladder stands are the choice for many (of us) old guys. LOL. 15 to 20 feet high.

19-Sep-23
They are nice for us “younger” guys too! ;-)

But seriously, I never liked getting too high in my climber and having a steep angle shot. Usually only go up 15’ or so......,......,..,,,,

19-Sep-23
I have a 15 foot ladder stand in a good spot where I've shot many deer, it's next to a tree that I used to have a hang on, I can see where it was, about 10 feet higher.

20-Sep-23

Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
Bob McArthur's embedded Photo
My friend dropped a good buck in 5D last night. Here's a pic.

20-Sep-23
That's a great buck! 5D has those genetics, tell him congratulations.

20-Sep-23

Yodameister's embedded Photo
My group set a new record opening morning in 2B. 6 big does and a 7th, shot by my brother-in-law, was recovered by midday. My brother (far r) is the master guide with 7 deer in the morning for 9 hunters. Tristan (far left) took two from the same tree and saw a total of 25. He’s claiming future dibs on that spot! My dad (beside me) and his cousin Ralph taught my brother and I most of what we know about hunting. It was good to see them each tag a mature doe, too. My oldest son, Dalton (11), was sitting with my dad looking to repeat last year’s opening day success, but no antlers were spotted. Hayden (9) was with me when I shot the doe. He was also limited to a buck. Both my boys have doe tags for 4D. As mentored youth they are only allowed one doe tag. Not sure why we can’t transfer a doe tag to them, but I guess that’s just the way it is. Ralph and my dad stayed to hunt Monday morning and Ralph took another antlerless deer.

20-Sep-23
I was sitting with my son Hayden morning and evening with the crossbow trying to get him his first shot at a deer. This doe came out at 7 and I took the shot since he only has a doe tag for 4D. This is my first crossbow deer. Hayden took a shot at a three point in the evening but only hit muscle. Jerked the shot badly. We trailed it 150 yards and ran out of blood. Tough way to begin but those hard lessons will be learned sooner or later.

20-Sep-23
Curtis, well done, keep shooting, there's more where they came from

20-Sep-23
Picture looks right when I post but then it is turned sideways. Try to edit by rotating but that doesn’t work.

20-Sep-23

20-Sep-23

There we go. That doesn’t make any sense. Rotated in my photos app and it posted the way it was rotated. Rotated back and tried again. Now it posted as it looks in my app, which was the original orientation. Anyway, now you don’t have to turn sideways to view. Ha! Congrats to all the other hunters who scored early! May it be often, too! And good luck to the rest of you! So pumped fall is here again!

21-Sep-23
Way to go everyone, congrats on some fine animals!

21-Sep-23
Congratulations!

21-Sep-23
WAY TO GO CURTIS! You boys got it figured out! ;-)

That’s a great 5D buck!

• Sitka Gear