MCDM 14-Sep-23
Brian M. 14-Sep-23
Shoot’n 12’s 14-Sep-23
Blood 14-Sep-23
MCDM 14-Sep-23
Big Dog 15-Sep-23
10-Sep-23
https://youtu.be/3gD3rRI4pI0?si=UCOolTCrUxOUf9P1

Anyone know what the deal is with this guy? Is he on here? It doesn't look like a crop damage hunt, but could be I guess. He even mentioned that the season isn't open yet. Kinda scratching my head here.

10-Sep-23
My bad. It IS a crop damage hunt. I didn't have the volume up at the beginning where he said it. Good buck, congrats to him.

10-Sep-23
Crop damage is a permit to exterminate. It is NOT meant to intentionally target certain animals.

10-Sep-23
Link doesn’t work.

10-Sep-23
I agree blood. In my opinion it should only be for does too

10-Sep-23
True Blood. It's usually firearms only too. Swamp, bucks eat crops too. But, when there's a choice, doe should bite the dust first. Didn't mean to open up a can of worms.

11-Sep-23
Pinching this guy for targeting a specific buck would be very hard to prove in a col.

11-Sep-23
Brian, it’s all good. I hear about guys that have crop damage permits and I also hear how they target big deer with that permit. And I just shake my head.

11-Sep-23
Brian, it’s not just firearms. It can be with a bow as well. But yes most ppl just use a gun

11-Sep-23
That link doesn’t work

11-Sep-23
I've ( up close) seen some awful deer slaughter under the guise of "crop damage permit ". It's a slippery slope. One deer bite in a butternut squash and it's no longer marketable. It can, however, test the ethics of the shooter. Sadly some folks kill for thrill.

11-Sep-23
The link doesn't work. Try again please.

11-Sep-23
Went to school with him he does everything by the books and is an ethical guy. He works his ass off has a family hunts when he can and eats the meat. He had permission to hunt some crop damage and help someone else out to its a win win. And he says in the video not gonna be picky just gonna help the farmer out. Had several bucks come by at once so at that point nothing wrong with taking the biggest one.

11-Sep-23
Sorry guys, I can't figure out how to get the link here. Tried copy and paste, and tried the share option. I'm not a techy.

Thanks Dank. Seemed legit, but missed the beginning when he said crop damage. Had to watch it again with volume up.

BD, that's exactly what crop permits are for. Slaughter. Kill them all. It's not for extended recreation. No different than having 20 raccoons in the corn. Pest control to save the crops.

11-Sep-23
I know Kevin. He’s a good dude. Very ethical hunter like Dan said.

11-Sep-23
I just watched the vid. Although he is doing crop damage he did let multiple deer walk by. There were a bunch of small bucks, and a bunch of doe. He waited for the bigger of the bucks to present him an opportunity when he had others within range. Doesn’t matter the size, horn length etc of a deer for it to do damage. They all do damage. I don’t agree with him shooting that buck at all. There could very well be an issue here if it was brought up to the attention of the appropriate people. I don’t care tho, not my area getting smoked out.

11-Sep-23
Even more dumb to video n post it on YouTube. Lol lol

12-Sep-23
So many deer there. It validates the need for the crop damage permit. Big deer eat more so if I was there to serve the landowner by killing the overpopulated deer I'd shoot the biggest one as well. Videoing is hard, adds to the challenge and adds to the enjoyment and the ability to relive it yourself and share with others. Honestly, I don't see the logic to anyone having a problem with this hunter, whom I don't know. But above, people who know him say he's a straight arrow and I tend to believe them. As a person who has the respect of some members here AND who also has been a target (that Chasing Tail show) I have lived through both sides. NOWHERE does it say that you have to take the first possible ethical shot at the FIRST deer when hunting on a crop damage permit. Oh yeah, it was a really great pinpoint shot on a sharply quartering away shot which shows he practices endlessly and knows/tunes his gear. My hat is off to him.

12-Sep-23
First you say it doesn’t matter the size or horn length, they all do damage. Then you say that you don’t agree with him shooting that buck. So which is it? He was completely legal shooting that buck and shouldn’t have to explain himself to anyone.

12-Sep-23
https://portal.ct.gov/DEEP/Wildlife/Nuisance-Wildlife/Deer-Crop-Damage-Permit-Program Should be everything anyone needs to know.

14-Sep-23
So gentlemen first off the guy who shot that deer is an ambassador of mine. I own a hunting business here in CT. The deer he took was a crop damage buck. Crop damage doesn’t necessarily mean to harvest over the crop itself. He was on the property but in the transition zone of where the deer like to travel through. He has had this property for several years and there is also an additional hunter on this property. He is also probably one of the most by the book guys I have ever met.

Its kinda sad people throwing shade on someone they don’t know and just assuming because he harvested or in this case exterminated a good buck most would like the opportunity to have that he must not be legal!

Its bad enough we as outdoorsmen have to battle with the politicians but the reason we lose is because we cant even get along and work together. Damn shame folks.

14-Sep-23
So gentlemen first off the guy who shot that deer is an ambassador of mine. I own a hunting business here in CT. The deer he took was a crop damage buck. Crop damage doesn’t necessarily mean to harvest over the crop itself. He was on the property but in the transition zone of where the deer like to travel through. He has had this property for several years and there is also an additional hunter on this property. He is also probably one of the most by the book guys I have ever met.

Its kinda sad people throwing shade on someone they don’t know and just assuming because he harvested or in this case exterminated a good buck most would like the opportunity to have that he must not be legal!

Its bad enough we as outdoorsmen have to battle with the politicians but the reason we lose is because we cant even get along and work together. Damn shame folks.

14-Sep-23
MCDM, I don't think anyone said he was hunting illegally. Just the opposite actually. Good buck, good video. I corrected myself immediately after watching it again with volume up, whereas I had missed the crop damage part the first time. He did a good job, hopefully he gets a few more for the landowner.

14-Sep-23
If you put your hunts on YouTube be prepared for the positive and negative comments. If you cant handle the negative you way want to re think your choices.

14-Sep-23
MCDM - crop damage is not hunting. It’s exterminating. And most who have that permit do NOT use it that way. However, with crop damage, one is supposed to kill anything they can to save the crops.

14-Sep-23
All im saying is he conducted himself in an ethical and legal manner. You are still responsible to make an ethical kill are you not? He did a good job and I doubt this post would have even come about if it was a doe! It matters not what people think I am sure most if in his shoes when presented with multiple deer would have done the same. No laws broken just everyone has an opinion I guess.

15-Sep-23
No aspersions were directly cast on the shooter. Good of you to reclarify what we knew. I had a late friend who farmed and was forced to shoot deer . What naysayers don't understand is one deer bite renders ie a butternut squash unmarketable. This is an economic drain on hard working farmers and they have to remedy it.

• Sitka Gear