Huntinggal2009 01-Oct-23
Spider1 03-Oct-23
Rut Nut 04-Oct-23
Spider1 04-Oct-23
Rut Nut 04-Oct-23
19-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
OK here we go! This evening Dan and Steve stopped by one of our participating properties to scout out a spot for a ground blind and look what they found! : )

20-Sep-23
Almost ready to get on the road. Glad it isn't a 4 and a half hour ride. See you soon rut.

20-Sep-23
Good luck to everyone in Camp-Whack-a-Doe, and be safe! I’ll be following along and expect to see em’ stacked like cord wood!! ;)

20-Sep-23
That’s the plan Josh- THANKS! : )

Yeah Art- I came down last night and stayed at Dan Smoker’s place................will be nice NOT having to fight rush hour Allentown traffic this morning! See you soon......

20-Sep-23
I look forward to this thread every year, good luck all and safe travels!!

20-Sep-23
Be safe everyone & good luck.

20-Sep-23
Thanks guys! Paul, you have to join us one of these years! ;-)

20-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Tents going up...............

20-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Every year they go up a little quicker.............

20-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
...............when we remember how they go up! ;-)

20-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

20-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo

20-Sep-23
Hopefully you guys get awesome weather, no mosquitoes and lots of 5C fatties.

20-Sep-23
Everyone have a safe and fun filled weekend. I'll check in n you all from time to time.

20-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Sam Nelson’s 70.8 lb doe
Smoke's embedded Photo
Sam Nelson’s 70.8 lb doe
The 2023 5C Hunt is off to a great start!!!

20-Sep-23
Way to kick things off! Looking forward to following this hunt!

21-Sep-23
Thanks guys. All set up on a new farm (to me). Art is in blind at bottom of field in a creek bottom and Dan and I are tucked in the woods 400y uphill of Art at the other end of the field.

We saw a deee come out at 5;30 yesterday after setting our stands. Saw deer in the field this morning as we were trying to slip into the woods.

Dan and I are within bow range of a heavy trail about 10y inside the wood line paralleling the field edge. 7:05 waiting for deer.......... ;-)

21-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Art’s blind

21-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Setting up yesterday

21-Sep-23
Believe it or not, no shots this morning. Dan and I saw deer out in field as we were trying to sneak into the woods. We thought we would be pretty well hidden, but they must have spotted us and went back in the woods. We didn’t see them the rest of the morning. We have a different game plan for tomorrow.................. ;-) We like the setup, just have to get into the woods without the deer spotting us.

Others had similar experiences.....................one hunter had them sneak in right behind him on the ground and busted him.

Thursday is for making adjustments.................... ;-)

21-Sep-23
Friday is whacking day!

21-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Rob and his grandson
Smoke's embedded Photo
Rob and his grandson
Starting them off right at our 5C doe hunt! This is what it’s all about!

21-Sep-23
WWS.

Whitetail whacking season. Give them hell guys and gals.

21-Sep-23
Got a text that 2 of our hunters have deer down! (Dan Smoker is mentoring one of the young men).

Art Keefer had 2 bucks at 20y from the blind

22-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
We’ve got 3 on the board after day one and 2 donated to HSH! Sorry I didn’t update last night but Dan Zerbe and I went to the Parker McCollum concert at the PP&L Center and didn’t get back to camp til late! (think we got almost 4 hrs sleep ;-). Concert was GREAT and found out he must be a Bowhunter! (Check out his t-shirt)

22-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
We managed to get up at 4:15 and finalize our strategy for the morning hunt over coffee.

22-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Another donation to HSH
Smoke's embedded Photo
Another donation to HSH
Chris’ first 5c doe hunt deer, and he’s donating it to Hunters Sharing the Harvest. Way to go Chris

22-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Another one for HSH!!
Smoke's embedded Photo
Another one for HSH!!
Greg’s doe; currently leading the board at 107.8 lbs.

22-Sep-23
Yeah Smoke, VERY generous of him! GREAT young man! WELL DONE Chris!

NICE deer ...................good job Greg!

22-Sep-23
Congratulations to Chris and Greg!

Today should be good for seeing deer.

22-Sep-23
Well done lads.

22-Sep-23
On behalf of Hunters Sharing the Harvest, I want to personally thank all the hunters in the 5C Doe Hunt for your longstanding support of HSH! What you're doing is incredible and it's the first real jump-start to our season each year as we watch your numbers come in! Best of luck to all of you and thanks from all of us! -- Randy Ferguson, exec. dir.

22-Sep-23
Good job everyone! A 107 lb doe is not something you get every year. Thanks to all who take time to post pictures and stories. You make work tolerable this time of year.

22-Sep-23
Good job everyone! A 107 lb doe is not something you get every year. Thanks to all who take time to post pictures and stories. You make work tolerable this time of year.

22-Sep-23
Thanks for the kind words Randy! I think I can speak for the participants when I say we all enjoy helping out the farmers, HSH and the local community and doing all we can to shed some positive light on the sport we LOVE!

22-Sep-23
Well, we still only have 3 on the board. So we had to call in reinforcements and get aggressive with our tactics. Just about everyone went out early for the evening sit to see if they will start moving early with this storm moving in........................

22-Sep-23
Moved to a new spot this evening. At 5:25 I had 3 doe moving in my direction. Then at 35y a spike came in and started sniffing around them. Had 2 in my sights but they were pointed towards the property line so NO Shot! : (. Then the spike chased them all over to the next property. ...,,,,,,,,,,,.

22-Sep-23
Not looking great for Saturday. Big band of a storm.

22-Sep-23
At 6:30 I had 2 doe come in and behind me and never heard them due to highway noise until they were 25y to my left. Shot the lead doe before she got into the thick stuff little higher than I would like. Saw her run with the arrow still in her. Decided to leave her instead of risking bumping her. Went back to camp and had pizza and then went back 2 hours later and found her. She was getting stiff so probably died before we headed back to camp...........

22-Sep-23
Surprisingly, I was the only one who got a shot. Andy said they came out at a distance right before dark.

23-Sep-23
Count so far is 5 deer and 3 donated to HSH. Weather today will not help us unfortunately..................

23-Sep-23
I had a great time and good sits. I passed up a big button buck the first evening. I was still in "my farm" hunting mode. Saw 3 rack bucks and 3 does later that were too far. A doe came out Friday evening at 25 yards but the weeds were too high and she just disappeared towards the farmhouse. I saw a fox at 10 feet and a pair of emerald green red throat hummingbirds at 5 feet. Had to leave last night. We should try more events like this around the state.

23-Sep-23
That’s why I always remind guys what the one farmer says...............”If it has a mouth and is legal then SHOOT IT!” ;-)

23-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
HSH receipts

23-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Perry drying his boots on this rainy Saturday.
Smoke's embedded Photo
Perry drying his boots on this rainy Saturday.
When you leave your boots sitting under the drip line of your tent, you gotta take drastic measures!

23-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
Prepping for the pig roast

23-Sep-23
Bowhunters can improvise! (Boot dryer! ;-)

23-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Hands free! : )

23-Sep-23

PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
PAbowhunter1064's embedded Photo
Alright bowhunting brothers & sisters! Don’t let a little rain stop ya from putting some does on the ground… Ella is cheering you all on in her UBP gear!! Good luck and finish strong!!

23-Sep-23
THANKS Josh and Ella!

23-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Smoke's embedded Photo
When you’re a kid and it’s raining during the 5C Hunt, you make a bow out of a stick and string!

23-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
We’re prepping for the pig roast......................every year we learn some things! : )

23-Sep-23
Just got a text that our UBP President just shot one!

23-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Visitor in the corn
Smoke's embedded Photo
Visitor in the corn

23-Sep-23

Smoke's embedded Photo
Another deer for the HSH program!
Smoke's embedded Photo
Another deer for the HSH program!
Congrats Wayne!!! Way to finish off the 2023 hunt!

23-Sep-23
Way to go Prez! Show those young guns how it’s done! : )

23-Sep-23

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Thanks to all the hunters who hung in there to the very end! Conditions were LESS than ideal today and y’all didn’t give up!

We ended up with 6 deer shot and 4 of those donated to HSH!

24-Sep-23
Congratulations to everyone and thanks for the effort for a great event. Good shooting Wayne. Thanks perry for this thread. Exciting stuff we look forward to every year.

24-Sep-23
Congratulations and thanks to those that donated!

24-Sep-23
Thanks for the great weekend.Had a great time

24-Sep-23
Great stuff everyone!

Congrats all the way around!

24-Sep-23
Congrats to all involved, a win-win for everyone.

25-Sep-23
How was the turnout?

25-Sep-23
Attendance was definitely down this year, probably due to the weather forecast. I think last count was 44 hunters registered over the course of the 3 (hunt) days- some came early and left before the weather got bad, and others came on Friday and got wet on Saturday! ;-)

A lot of us were hunting new farms(to us) this year and it sometimes takes several sits to figure out the properties. Unfortunately by the time a lot of us got it figured out, the weather threw us a curveball. Therefore we didn’t get close to last year’s record, but we still donated 4 nice size deer that provided approximately 730 meals to the local food bank. And although we didn’t bring in as much $$ this year due to the lower turnout, we should still be able to make a small (monetary) donation to HSH.

The UBP 5C Hunt Committee would like to thank all those who participated! It was a great event as always!

25-Sep-23
BTW, Greg Harper was a new Hunter this year and he won the BIG MOMMA Award. Wayne got the award for heaviest deer donated to HSH and graciously donated the prize money back to UBP. And Chris Carter won the random draw prize for those donating to HSH. Unfortunately Greg and Chris were not present at the Pig Roast so we could not get pictures.

25-Sep-23
44 is still a good number. Congratulations and thank you to everyone involved in organizing, setting up, and running this worthwhile event.

25-Sep-23
Thanks to everyone who dodged the raindrops and managed to drop some nice does over the weekend! We at HSH appreciate what you do so much! I'm planning to get out there and see you all next year. Thanks again! Randy - HSH

25-Sep-23
Thanks guys!

Randy- that would be great! We look forward to seeing you next year.......................and don't forget to bring your bow and at least one 5C tag! ;-)

25-Sep-23
Thank you 5C Doe Hunt Committee for a job well done once again!! I saw more deer this year than in years past, and had a great time hunting with family and friends. Really enjoyed seeing those kids shooting at the bag of water. Have a great bow season everyone.

26-Sep-23
THANKS Jen!

I just found out Greg Harper who won the BIG MOMMA award graciously donated the prize $$ to the DHP(Disabled Hunter) Program.

Also, one of our hunters (who would like to remain anonymous) created a 5C HUNT STUDENT ENDOWMENT FUND which will cover the students’ registration fees for years to come. He is donating in his mentor’s honor Mr. Larry Ogden who was a great mentor to him, and who recently passed away.

Chris Carter (whose student registration was paid for from the fund) donated his (first 5C Hunt)deer to HSH to pay it forward.......................So a LOT of GREAT things came from this year’s hunt!

29-Sep-23
So cool!

01-Oct-23

horsethief51 's Link
Here is a link to my tactacam video of the button buck I passed up. You only need to watch for the first minute. Thought I turned it off. My brain was still in "hunting at my farm" mode.

01-Oct-23
Hey folks. Been a while. Looks like this hunt is still going strong and has turned into quite the event. Hope you all have a safe season with plenty of shepherds pie to go around!

01-Oct-23
Hey Mike! How are you???

03-Oct-23
I'm doing ok. Had a heart attack some 5 or 6 years ago. A little one. But enough to get me back on track. Don't let them tell ya otherwise, little heart attacks suck too. LOL!

04-Oct-23
LOL! "little" heart attack?! Isn't that like being a "little" pregnant???!!! ;-)

04-Oct-23
or gettin bit by a little rattlesnake! :^O

LOL!

04-Oct-23
Yeah! LOL! : )

• Sitka Gear