Blood 22-Sep-23
Dank 22-Sep-23
murphy3142 22-Sep-23
Big Dog 22-Sep-23
Wilgabeast 23-Sep-23
2Wild Bill 23-Sep-23
Dank 24-Sep-23
21-Sep-23
Been seeing some fresh runs and scrapes popping up and another buddy I hunt with has to. Anyone else

21-Sep-23
I am! It's heating up for sure.

22-Sep-23
I read somewhere there will be an early rut . Anyone feel this is correct ?

22-Sep-23
Well big dog 95% of the rut timing is due to photo period (hours of daylight) .. think of deer like those stinky plants some people grow …. As the days get shorter the plants notice less sunlight and head into the flower stage . Same idea with rut… deer notice the reduction in photo period each day and this triggers the physiological response inside their body to cause them to come into estrus and rut. Of course some outside factors hve an effect on rut activity seen. When it’s 75 in November you’re just not gonna see rut action during the day all that often. This causes people to say the ruts late or it didn’t happen yet. When really it’s still happening the same few weeks every year just some years it’s almost strictly at night due to weather or moon phase or hunting pressure

22-Sep-23
Smoked venison

22-Sep-23
WB....you mentioned moon phase ! Second autumnal full moon (Oct.28 ) is supposed to get the rut going or at least be a contributing factor. Early rut .

22-Sep-23
Well a full moon is the worst moon you can have for the rut in my opinion . With no leaves on the trees on a full moon night you can see in the woods almost like it’s twilight . Which means deer can see like it’s day time and the run around all night chasing leading to very localized pockets of activity with the 98% of the rest of the land scape devoid of daytime rut activity . Ie seArching cruising chasing

22-Sep-23
Big dog I'm a believer in the moon. I use to not be, but I've noticed it has been correct for the last few years. So I'll be ready late October this year!!

22-Sep-23
Scrapes alway open up right about now. 95% of them never get him again. I have apple trees in my yard and every single year, right about now, some buck comes by and makes 3-4 in one night. And never hits them again.

Hunt the acorns and food sources now. Hunt the travel funnels from Halloween through Thanksgiving. You’ll be on the bucks then.

22-Sep-23
Acorns are everywhere this year. Nuts falling all over the woods. Deer won't have to go far to find food this year. Hopefully they will be fueled up come the rut and put in some extra miles then.

22-Sep-23
Acorns are spotty near me.

22-Sep-23
Murph, Like you, I made moon phase observations and drew conclusions. And it has proved out in the deer woods for quite a few seasons. However weather usually trumps moon phase IMO.

23-Sep-23
Oh I completely agree moon phase 10000% plays a roll on daily deer movement . How ever I’m not necessarily certain it has as much or any effect on the timing of the rut

23-Sep-23
Moon overhead or underfoot is prime deer movement. Full moon at 1AM translates to deer movement 1PM. IMHO, the best moon phase for hunters is the quarter moon, either sunrise or sunset, be on your stand early.

24-Sep-23
Never looked into moon phase I have a wife and 2 little kids when they let me hunt I go!! Interesting stuff tho any other moon observations in relation to hunting?

• Sitka Gear