Corax_latrans 09-Oct-23
Coondog 09-Oct-23
UWShunter 09-Oct-23
Notme 10-Oct-23
Corax_latrans 10-Oct-23
Rackem 12-Oct-23
Rackem 12-Oct-23
05-Oct-23
In today's news, Two hikers and their dog were found dead along with an empty cannister of bear spray in Banff, BC. Might have lived if they had a good side arm. At least their chances would have been better. Bear was still there when rescuers arrived.

05-Oct-23
I don’t think they can carry in Canada.

05-Oct-23
Blood , You're right. And look what happened. The head of Canadian government is the prince of woke. The empty cannister of bear spray suggests hunters, hikers, etc in bear country should be able to carry legally.

05-Oct-23
With the new laws being changed in CT regarding Bear , was the archery no carry rule eliminated?

05-Oct-23
It was a grizzly bear that killed them. In any event, you still are not allowed to carry a side-arm while bow hunting but you do so at your own risk. Was real happy my .357 was at my side when I saw a momma & cub less than 50 yards from my stand. Fortunately, when they heard me - cub ran away quick but momma stood up & looked around. Actually pretty cool & then she left. As they say don’t ever get between sow & cub. I saw more bears than deer last year & hopefully that changes this season. Bears are definitely not helping our deer population.

05-Oct-23
Not the same result this past week in Island Park Idaho. A hunter was able to stop a charging grizzly bear with his side arm. That was the 2nd grizzly shot, a few weeks ago another griz was shot for charging two bow hunters in the area. It's still illegal to shoot them unless it is self defense. I will be out there fishing in a few weeks. I will make sure my buddy has his pistol on him while we are on the river. Still don't feel safe with just bear spray.

06-Oct-23
GOOD QUESTION NEHUNTER, ANYONE HAVE AN ANSWER TO THAT?

06-Oct-23
There has not been any change to allowing bow hunter to carry a sidearm legally irrespective of the new self-defense law. They should. This morning alone - saw huge sow with 2 cubs & and another bear 1/2 hour later. Prost

06-Oct-23
It kinda blows my mind that there are no-carry laws on the books from way back when they must’ve been concerned about “bowhunters” killing an animal with the handgun… which implies that a handgun is a more capable weapon than a bow, which (from a 50-foot or farther accuracy standpoint) is kind of ridiculous, given modern bows, and especially now with crossbows….

But even if the laws change to allow carry for bowhunters, we’re still bound by the .22RF limit on State property, right?

Which makes me wonder what the rules currently are during shotgun season?? Never looked into it..

And I’d guess we’d see a new checkbox or two on the landowner consent form so that in addition to saying No to hunting with a handgun, they can specifically say No, period.

Which is totally fair; I sure wouldn’t want anyone carrying on my property without my knowledge and consent. And people ARE funny that way — I used to hunt a property where Mrs. Owner was fine with a centerfire rifle or a ML, but a Hard No on a deer-legal revolver.

06-Oct-23
CL, I'm sure Mrs. Owner has had scarier things in the palm of her hand than a handgun.

08-Oct-23

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
I was in Banff 2 wks ago. Ol grizz didn't get me!

08-Oct-23
beautiful pics

09-Oct-23
Those are awesome pics.. Trying to plan a trip out there in a couple of years. We won the lottery last week for The Wave in Arizona, for January. They only let about 64 people in a day. My wife has been applying for 2 years.

09-Oct-23
What (may I ask?) is The Wave??

Going to a Cardinals game?? ;)

09-Oct-23
Living in western Montana now, almost everyone I work with shares their concerns and fears of grizz. Attacks and charges seem to be occurring every weekend since August. I wouldn’t say I have a fear of them though. I’m aware of the risk and try to be as situationally aware as I can be. I carry a Glock 20 with 220 grain hard cast should that situation arise. However, I’ll never let a possible grizz encounter stop me from hunting where I am. I guess it’d be a lot cooler of a story for people to tell if I went out by a grizz than dying of old age…

09-Oct-23
Saw 7 bears in 4 days on my land in NW CT. Also saw a huge doe which was nice to see. As much as I feel bear are having a negative impact on the deer, I just feel real fortunate to have my own land and just see bear as often as I do. Regularly been seeing same sow with 2 cubs. I think as we get closer to the rut, deer seen on my cams will be seen in the flesh as in years past.

Anyway, CT hunting and all the predators on my land is pretty intense and I love it.

10-Oct-23

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/AgdsZJTf9dw?si=5qJuIzl9hLc9j8ab

10-Oct-23
I should probably watch that movie… Maybe this weekend while my wife is away….

12-Oct-23

Rackem's embedded Photo
Rackem's embedded Photo
Corax, look up the wave at Coyote Buttes. A hike out to real cool rock formations.

Coondog, I would move out there in a heartbeat. I love that area. I have fished the Madison river for about 20 years. My buddy who is a guide carries a Glock 10mm all the time.

12-Oct-23

Rackem's embedded Photo
Rackem's embedded Photo
Corax another hike we will be to see Hosreshoe bend on the Colorado river. Hoping to catch the Bruins vs Knights later in the week when we end up in Vegas. No time for a Cardinals game.

• Sitka Gear