Bwhnt 09-Oct-23
Ksgobbler 09-Oct-23
Matte 09-Oct-23
The Kid 09-Oct-23
Deerdummmy 10-Oct-23
Bwhnt 10-Oct-23
Ironbow 11-Oct-23
06-Oct-23
Who on here has killed an elk in Kansas? Who is currently hunting them?

06-Oct-23
Chris Mullins, "The Kid" here, killed a nice one in KS...I think it was two years ago Todd. He's a KBA member, so you may know him or his dad Steve?

06-Oct-23
There was Whig bull killed in labette county a few years ago

06-Oct-23
Son drew a tag, it is a tough hint on Riley with all the closures in October. Seen Elk about everytime. They just always happened to be where we could not go.

08-Oct-23
Anyone currently hunting them?

09-Oct-23
A buddy just found a shed from a nice bull he’d seen wintering on their place. Outside Unit 2, though not all that far. As the prairie is sacrificed for cedar thickets I think numbers off the fort will only keep growing. Quite a few resident herds scattered around the state these days it seems. Tom McMillan is even doing episodes about chasing them around the Ninnescah. Nebraska is up to about 270 bull tags and 6-700 cow tags. They added a unit to the east this year. With larger landowners becoming the norm, habitat changes and locked up deer leases/properties void of any intrusion most of the year I think it’s inevitable Kansas will have some viable populations off the fort going forward.

09-Oct-23
I wish they'd just let them live like whitetails. I've seen one ran over up by Colby on I-70 and there's been a couple roadkill by Newton. It'd be neat to have enough around that statewide tag could be used every couple years.

09-Oct-23
I know several people that had pics of a cow elk in Coffey County last season. They were once an animal of the plains. I would love to see them return.

09-Oct-23
About hit a nice 5x5 a few miles from house about a month ago

09-Oct-23
Are they not attracted to corn piles and bait or just that there isn't alot of baiting where they live? I don't see any pics of elk at bait

09-Oct-23
The pictures I saw last year were at feeders. Fwiw.

09-Oct-23
Bwhnt they may stop by a feeder but the cant be trained like Whitetails to come in.

09-Oct-23

The Kid's embedded Photo
The Kid's embedded Photo
Thank Kyle!

Hey Todd, I was very fortunate to draw and shoot a bull on Fort Riley.

I have been on a few properties here in Kansas (for work) that have larger different herds that frequent them . They do visit corn feeders and the landowners typically keep them and what they shoot on the DL. I’m glad to see more elk in the state and I wish there were more like what Jason said. Maybe one day.

I will say I saw that an elk was killed on a WIHA property. Not sure what part of the State but I have a guess.

10-Oct-23
Passed a bull of about the same size last year down south of Lamont ks last year on my buddies lease. Saw 4 bulls and 8 cows with 6 calves. The bigger bull we were after was pretty impressive.

10-Oct-23
Nice looking bull Kid, congrats. I bet it was great meat.

11-Oct-23
That’s cool Chris! Thanks for the picture.

• Sitka Gear