Corax_latrans 11-Oct-23
Brian M. 11-Oct-23
longbeard 11-Oct-23
Corax_latrans 12-Oct-23
Big Dog 12-Oct-23
07-Oct-23

soapdish's embedded Photo
So I'm sitting in my stand enjoying the nice cool breeze when something catches my eye. Two of the luminocks fell apart. Luckily the one loaded is still complete.

07-Oct-23
Did you shoot them before?

07-Oct-23
They are a PITA

07-Oct-23
Did not shoot them before. Pain .... absolutely. Doesn't take much to bump them to light up. First set (battery ) only lasted one season. When they work.... pretty cool. Is it worth it. Not to me. One more thing to go wrong.

07-Oct-23
That stinks.

I use Nocturnals. These always light up. Great for seeing the impact and finding my arrow.

07-Oct-23
I use the same. when you use a xbow you need them to see the arrow. and I film so it looks cool.

07-Oct-23
Soap can you take a picture of the other piece that is missing on those two. I think I have the same nocks and a similar situation

08-Oct-23
great when your filming

08-Oct-23

Here's what they're supposed to look like. I got the xbow last year. Not sure if I'm going to keep it after this season. May go back to a compound.

08-Oct-23
Soap I got those same nocks as a gift. I shot a turkey with one and lost the same piece you did. Funny thing is when I shoot an arrow with the whole thing together it is dead nuts. When I shoot any other nock flat or otherwise, it hits 2” low and 2” right of bullseye. I guess those nocks, the ones pictured, chapter the string better and hold on to it longer through the power stroke. Hence the better accuracy.

08-Oct-23
I’m honestly NOT trying to rub this in, but every time you guys have one of these high-tech equipment issues I just find myself letting out a sigh of relief…

It’s bad enough for me just minding that I don’t accidentally cut my bowstring out there… ;)

Only once (so far). Measures taken.

Have to admit, though — I stuck a lighted nock in an arrow one evening and took several shots where I could watch it drop into the target/backstop from 70-80 yards out…. and it was definitely cool.

Hope those start behaving for you…

One thought, though— if a rifleman using a truly high-powered cartridge can watch the bullet hit his animal, there shouldn’t be any issue with a crossbow, should there?

10-Oct-23
CL, you couldn't resist posting " I'm not trying to rub it in"....lol.....really !

10-Oct-23
It’s a funny thing, though… I think the whole “traditional is so much harder” thing is so completely overblown…

For anyone with decent form from shooting compound (and who is smart enough to start with a truly manageable draw weight!!) , it’s just Not That Hard….

And you may recall that an iced-up drop-away rest once prevented me from so much as getting an arrow onto the string while a few dozen Elk paraded by at “make sure you hold low enough” range.

I have been bitten hard (in s bad way) by modern technology, and honestly I think a lot of bowhunters would become avid Archers if they were to allow themselves to get bit by the single-string bug….

10-Oct-23
^^^ yup. More fun and less crap to deal with. There's definitely a learning curve, but you finally get there. No more pulleys, cams, cables, stabilizers, loops, releases, sights, peeps, etc. Carry an extra string and good to go.

10-Oct-23
@Brian - have you shot compound much?

I had one for a few years and kinda got bored shooting itty-bitty groups at known distances, but I got REALLY tired of the Arrow Mortality Rate with that thing if you ever did miss, so no stumping, no small game, no “keep loose” shots during the day and not nearly as much 3D as I would have liked.

My newest bow (which I have named Destroyer) is pretty hard on arrows as well, but at least they survive some of the time and don’t bury themselves quite so deep in the swamp…..

Just seems there are so many shots to be taken which are just a really bad idea if you’re toting a compound….

11-Oct-23
I shot trad for decades . It was all we had at the time and with practice shooting and blood trailing and knowing my limitations trad got the job done. It was ,however, disturbing to see some shooters who had not mastered trad technique go to the deer woods when they were not consistently accurate. They were consistently inconsistent in arrow placement and wounded too many animals. When I saw how they shot at local 3D it made me wince knowing these people hunt . To be sure I have seen skilled trad shooters and all knew their effective range and didn't go beyond it, true sportsmen . The same criticisms could be said for some compound bowhunters too. No matter which style you choose, the onus is on you to put it in the pump station . If you're a mediocre trad shot but excellent compound shot ; then out of reverence to your quarry shoot compound.

11-Oct-23
No debate there! Hunting is literally Deadly Serious business, and I was suggesting that some of the compound guys would enjoy ARCHERY more if they were to switch to the simpler gear which allows a guy to do a lot more plinking-type shooting…

But I do get uncomfortable with the way that some people make such a big deal out of shooting “Trad”, as if it’s really some kind of prestigious accomplishment. I’m OK with a personal sense of accomplishment, of course — that’s an honest thing — but it makes me cringe a bit when I get the sense that people are doing it FOR the prestige.

Hunting really oughtta be just about Hunting, shouldn’t it? It’s like the stories you hear about guys who go on a guided trip, kill a really good animal and then throw a tantrum when it turns out the animal won’t score whatever number they had it in their head they needed to hit. Why were they even there??

Anyway, yeah, I don’t care much for stickbows as a fashion statement. If people want to wear silly hats to a 3D shoot, that’s up to them, and as long as they’re having fun just shooting with friends I’m all for it. I also try not to get too judgmental if their shooting isn’t great at “competition” distances — those shots are set up specifically to make good shots miss, and there has never been a hunting shot that anyone HAD to take if they weren’t sure of it — though if they’re talking about hunting with sticks and can’t seem to keep it together from the Cub stake…. Yikes.

No doubt — I make a LOT of poor hits on foam, but I normally shoot the 3D course at distances which would be somewhere between “pushing it” and just plain out of the question for hunting purposes. Shooting for score from the Cub stake is just about right for me as a pre-season reality check.

11-Oct-23
CL, I shot compound for about 23 years give or take. After dropping my bow out of stand and it blew apart, then needing to bring to pro to get it put back together, I bought a bear super Kodiak. I missed a good buck with it, then went back to compound for a couple years. Finally I practiced enough and went full trad, except for 2010 when I had shoulder surgery. Picked up a kohannah longbow and used both. Gave my compound away to a friend 8 or 9 years ago. This year I put together an HT21 riser with Nika N3 limbs, and an Optimus riser with Uuhka limbs. They are high tech trad I guess. I changed everything, aluminum to wood, to now carbon. Split fingers to 3 under. Glove to tab. I keep my shots close, under 20. It took a while and quite a few missed gimmies between kills, but have killed 7 of last 8 deer shot at, and on a five year streak. That miss was clean. I'm as confident now as I was with my old compound.

11-Oct-23
I taught trad for about 8 years to beginning hunters. Got bored with that, finally broke down and bought a compound. It was a whole new exciting world. Never looked back since. I guess it works both ways. Lol. I was really into for about a decade, trying to fight my way up that learning curve. Then I just lost my interest in all the minutiae that goes along with every aspect of archery and fell in love with just enjoying the hunt. Been more interested in killing big bucks every year on a consistent basis. It doesn’t even matter anymore what weapon I use, I just like outsmarting older age class bucks.

12-Oct-23
That’s the beauty of it!

12-Oct-23
Well stated gentlemen. You only have to satisfy yourself. And find yourself.

• Sitka Gear