soapdish 10-Oct-23
Big Dog 10-Oct-23
Corax_latrans 10-Oct-23
Notme 10-Oct-23
UWShunter 10-Oct-23
Ace 12-Oct-23
UWShunter 12-Oct-23
10-Oct-23
I have a good piece of property that this is my last year on. When I first talked with the landowner about hunting deer with a bow, he said no. I had my kids with me. I stated how I wanted to teach them how to bow hunt. Having kids of his own, he understood and gave us permission afterall. Well, now my kids are 19 and 21 and he said that he is no tree hugger but doesn't care for hunting. My kids are grown and some memories were made thanks to him. He did change his diet to an organic one. I'll give him some venison at the end of the season again if successful. Maybe we can rework a deal lol.

10-Oct-23
At least it isn't developed. I have lost count of the private property I used to hunt that is now a housing development or factory.

I have also know an old hunter that laments the loss of the property where my house now sits. He says it was a heck of spot to hunt grouse when he was a kid.

10-Oct-23
Soap, it happens to most of us at some point. It is hard to consider man’s development of raw land as progress but sadly, it is unstoppable. At least you had the land to hook your boys on the outdoors.

10-Oct-23
Getting permission and keeping it is a tenuous situation. You're at the mercy of negative opinions offered by family members, friends ,passer by's and neighbors. I've found it best to be as stealthy as possible entering and exiting the spot to the point of changing into street clothes and casing your bow if there's a possibility of being seen. It's often an uncomfortable feeling but what are you gonna do?

10-Oct-23
Buy land! I know it's not a possibility for everyone but I'm always surprised more people don't explore this angle. I never regretted buying a piece of land I could hunt on. Guys complain all the time about the other people on public land and it sucks to be at the mercy of a landowner who decides to sell your honey hole, or gives a bunch of other hunters permission. Having your own place let's you do with it what you want, build stands, plant trees, food plots or crops, etc. Invite who you want, and tell everyone else to stay the hell out! What better way to introduce new hunters especially kids than on a place where you control the access? If you look around you just might find that it's financially feasible. Plus land usually appreciates over time, so it can also be a part of your investment portfolio, and it will be a place that you can pass down to your kids.

10-Oct-23
I lost a spot years ago , they built 26 houses, and called it deer park!

10-Oct-23
I lost a spot years ago , they built 26 houses, and called it deer park!

10-Oct-23
I bought my Grandfather's land when he died, and I could not agree more with Ace. I did a timber harvest and got some of my money back. To climb up into a deer stand on a cold Nov morning and have a nice hot cup of coffee while the sun comes up is one of life's greatest pleasures for me. It's where I killed my first deer in 1987, and now my kids hunt it.

10-Oct-23
No housing development going up on his. It's bordered by over 300 that nobody can hunt. Personal land preserves. Fortunately I still have two good parcels nearby. This one was perfect for a quick after work hunt. I could leave work and be in my stand in 20 minutes door to stand. I would park in the cornfield and walk 40 yards to my stand. Talk about convenience. As far as buying land. My wife is on board just not there yet....close though.

10-Oct-23
Ace is correct; it's just not possible for some folks.

10-Oct-23
That’s the dream, isn’t it? I’d love to swing that deal, but I’ve gotta be honest… CT is among the last places I’d like to spend the rest of my life.

Someplace somewhere Out West would be delightful.

10-Oct-23

Notme's Link
https://youtu.be/nOlv3CzbNX8?si=WRrAoa91HvFj8Ow3

10-Oct-23
My rules, my land. NW CT is a slice of heaven.

12-Oct-23
CL, we may have high taxes and crappy gun laws here in CT, but if you own land here, it generally appreciates faster than most other places. So ... maybe you can live in CT to get the benefit of that high paying job, and buy a house with a few huntable acres and sell it when you retire for a big enough profit to buy your slice of heaven in whatever state you decide to move to.

Many/Most states also have a way to place your property in a Forest Land designation so you can roll back property taxes considerably. In some states the minimum is 25 Acres (CT) in NY I believe it's 50. Both of these programs have saved me money as well.

12-Oct-23
Well said Ace. Property value increase > 50% since purchase. Forest Land designation for sure helps with taxes. Can’t wait to retire in CT.

• Sitka Gear