Kansan 09-Nov-23
Catscratch 09-Nov-23
bentstick54 09-Nov-23
Catscratch 09-Nov-23
Catscratch 09-Nov-23
30-Oct-23

be still's embedded Photo
Well Jason talked me into it again. 5:09….It’s raining and shows 39 degrees. Got Pip Squeak tied down in case he gets the notion of trying to escape. We’re headed to Iowa first to stay with our good ole friend. I’m going to be hunting for a few days in North Missouri right close to the border about 8 miles as the crow flies from his house.

We tell it like it is on here so if you don’t like it hop on out. If you don’t offend easy then put on your seatbelt cause this Chevrolet is headed north…

30-Oct-23
This is going to be good. Following. Good luck!

30-Oct-23
Good luck. Can’t wait to follow along.

30-Oct-23
Bring it!

30-Oct-23
Good luck to you on those Missouri bucks!

30-Oct-23
Good luck BeStill, I'm rootin for ya! Nice pics on the other thread. You've got a knack for catching the mood.

30-Oct-23
Go get em. Best of luck to you. Look forward to updates!

30-Oct-23
Post more pics this time and good hunting

30-Oct-23
Sorry I couldn’t talk longer or meet up with you, good luck on your hunts

30-Oct-23
Safe travels and happy hunting, friend!

30-Oct-23

Thanks everybody. Randy no worries at all…we’ll get to meet one day.

Pulled in here about an hour ago and since I haven’t shot my bow since the plane ride back from Idaho I decided I better pull it out. It’s dead on and ready to go. Unloaded a few things and then hopped in the truck as the sun was setting to drive down the road. Pretty cool little road here…left side is Iowa and right side is Missouri. Seen quite a few including a pretty decent buck but didn’t get a pic of him.

Just waiting on him to get back from his hunt right now. The Iowa bow season started October 1st and this ole man has been out hunting every day since then. There’s some people that say they love to hunt but this guy is something else. He’s not the rah rah type of person that does it for the fame either. Needless to say he’s pretty picky in what he shoots by what he has hanging on his walls.

Well I better unload some more stuff before he gets back. If he finds me just goofing off he might raise his voice and make me feel foolish if there is things to do.

Excuse the 2nd pic…I don’t know where that came from.

30-Oct-23
Good luck!!

31-Oct-23
I sure won’t turn any down Daniel.

3:46…we’ve been up for a little while. I bought a few acres up here back in the spring. I bought it just by looking at the aerial pic and trusting the realtor. It looks really good for a travel corridor for cruising bucks. If I had to guess my best time it would be mid morning but it could happen any time. The afternoon might not be the best but the owner across the river hinted he might let me hunt there. He’s got a crop field and on aerial I found what looks to be a good corner for any kind of south wind. That might be good for an evening spot.

This morning we have a pretty strong northwest wind so I’m going to skirt the south line coming in and get pretty close to river. The realtor said there’s a level bench down there. The old man when over there for me a little over a week ago to hang a few cameras and he confirmed that as well. Said there was a couple good trails coming across the small river there.

It’s 20 something degrees which is going to feel good and I’m pretty worked up. He said he seen 7 different bucks where he was hunting in Iowa yesterday evening. I might not have no signal over there but I might give y’all a quick update if I decide to come out for lunch. Let’s Go….

31-Oct-23
Best of luck, be safe, most of all have fun and enjoy yourself

31-Oct-23
Rooting for an exciting hunt this morning! I'm guessing Pipsqueak is staying in the truck for the am?

31-Oct-23
Get ya a spooky Halloween buck today!

31-Oct-23
Always fun to hunt a new property. Good luck, hope you see some good action.

31-Oct-23

1:01…the moon really helped me out in picking my spot. Pretty much went right to the spot where I wanted to get and right away spotted this tree. Perfect setup with it being about 8ft higher than the bottom I’m covering.

Didn’t see a thing until around 9 when a doe with her young one came from behind and to my side about 15 yards with a dink buck close behind. They dropped over the edge of the river. Then about 20 minutes later another doe with her young one came from the same direction but came about 6 yards. Later which I’m thinking was the same 2 pair came back from the river and went back the same way. Around 10 or so 3 more doe came across in front of me.

Thinking I picked the perfect spot for that wind. Every deer I seen came within 20 yards and none spooked. A little after 11 I got up and put some branches against my tree so it would hide my outline a little better against the side of the tree. I was about done when I heard blowing right in front of me over the slight drop about 10 yards in front of me and 3 doe trotted off. Still can’t figure that out…maybe they were bedded the whole time just below the slight hill where I couldn’t see them.

31-Oct-23
Don't let that beard fall in front of that bowstring or you will hating life!

31-Oct-23
Fawns still with their momma’s. Sounds like it’s a tad early for the rut out there right now? Has the vampire been seeing any bucks chasing nearby on the Iowa side? Did you do any rattling with those white horns?

31-Oct-23

Bow Hunter when I got back from Idaho Erica strongly suggested that her loving she was going to give me was going to be a lot better if I trimmed it off…I decided to do away with the beard.

Cat my small acreage is all trees but if I get permission to hunt across the river I’ll set it up over there.

Here’s a few pics of the does when they were making there way back across. Didn’t get good pics when they first came across cause with the wind they were right beside before I knew it. Didn’t want to take a chance on taking pics just for y’all knuckleheads to see some doe cause you never know this time of the year what might be trailing behind.

That white colored bark tree in the middle of this first pic in the bottom there is just a tad over 20 yards away.

31-Oct-23
Well that's understandable

31-Oct-23
Wenzel he has just been seeing small bucks with does so far but he has several good ones on camera. Earlier this year he had a couple of those good ones close by him but not quite close enough.

Naw it was pretty windy so I decided to stay quiet this morning on the horns.

31-Oct-23
Good start, will be glad to follow along. Having trouble getting out here with the Chinese plague attacking the homesite.

31-Oct-23

Dang it Dave. If I remember right you missed most of last season with a bum foot and now this. Hope everything is alright with y’all.

I went to the same spot and around 5:30 this young buck shows up. A main frame 9 with some pretty decent brows. This morning before I left I went to the truck and got a mock scrape dripper and put it at the base of the slope about 15 yards in front of me. This afternoon when I went in I crept down there and put a camera on it.

Now he showed up upwind from it so I know he didn’t smell it but he went straight between my camera and the mock scrape I made and just started nosing around. Before he left he ended going to the scrape and putting his nose down to it.

This first pic shows him down by those 2 big trees right above the little branch right in front of me and right below the 2nd branch further out. I was taking a video of him off of my phone and these are just snapshots from it so it might appear a little blurry.

31-Oct-23

About a couple minutes after he walked off a couple spikes came from behind me and to my left nearly exactly the same path the closet does this morning walked but a tad closer. They too went to the scrape and milled around a bit and butted heads and groomed each other before walking on. Before they disappeared though that other one showed up more to my right side where the brush was thicker and started raking a tree. In this one zoomed in pic you can see his brows that slightly curve in. I like long brows but he was just not big enough and way too young.

In some of these pics you can see my camera strap on the tree down there. I know it was just coincidence but it’s kind of crazy they went there that quick.

31-Oct-23

31-Oct-23
Looks like a pretty nice buck. Bigger than I'm seeing in Kansas right now.

31-Oct-23
Pretty cool encounter, can't wait to see the trail cam pics too! Not many would pass that buck, hope there's a another even better.

31-Oct-23
Looks like a pretty good 1st day.

31-Oct-23
Good stuff! Thanks for sharing. Love seeing pics like that off the ground.

31-Oct-23
Cool

31-Oct-23
Cool

31-Oct-23
10:14….probably need to go ahead and go to bed even though I don’t feel like it. Just warning y’all now I might not give too many updates tomorrow. He went to bed a lot earlier and I felt like I was on my phone too much. For those y’all don’t remember this is the same guy that hunts with me in Kansas and he goes to bed early but wakes up between 2:30 and 3:30 in the morning…hence the name “Vampire” that Crested has given him. I’ll catch y’all back up later.

Anyways I love this ole man and I better stay off of my phone a little bit more and soak in his company. Awhile back when he was searching for more property he walked in this one small store and just bellowed out real loud where everybody could hear…Does anybody have any property that this fella can hunt? Lol this dude is one of a kind.

He’s got to have a little money cause he spends a small fortune on hunting but looking at him you wouldn’t think he has 2 cents. This old farm house with the old carpet and sunken floors feels mighty good though to stay in. It feels good cause this man would probably rather die than to tell you a lie. Lol I just can’t help it…I got to show y’all this contraption in the room he’s got me in. He’s got this pipe laid up against this chair going up to the ceiling vent and the other duct taped to a hose leading to some pipes to keep from freezing. Lol how can you not like a guy like this.

Well to give y’all the update now instead of in the morning. The so called perfect spot I thought I had picked out for the north wind won’t be any good for like next 4 or so days. It’s supposed to be blowing southwest now for awhile. No worries though cause we’ll be parking on the north side and walk straight to the river bank on the east side of the property until we get close to the same spot we were except we’ll be on the edge of the bank letting our scent float across the river. We should still be just fine cause the moon should still be up to find us another good tree.

Well for some reason it wouldn’t let me post that pic…something about 500 error.

And oh yeah the ole man seen 6 more bucks this evening and better yet he showed me some pics of a couple good ones that has just day lighted. My money is on him getting one….anybody want to bet against me and throw some money down:?)

01-Nov-23
That black ladder stand beyond the buck in those pics….no good to sit in?

01-Nov-23
You mean the one above the buck in one of those pictures Jason? :)

01-Nov-23
That's a great hunt, and I would not have passed on that guy but in CT that's a very rare animal

01-Nov-23
Awesome!!

01-Nov-23

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
This one looks spindly but nice. Hard to tell on my phone

01-Nov-23

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Randy….yep, LOL!

01-Nov-23

Crested that stand is on the neighbors and it’s facing my way. They also have a tall box blind about 10 ft from my property line up by the road. I don’t mind stands being close cause sometimes I’m sitting close to property lines as well…I just hope they’re good people.

He’s looking at his phone so I’ll give a quick update. Morning was absolutely beautiful and the weather was perfect. It was in the teens and calm at daybreak.

I parked like I said on the north side and went east and got inside the river bank and went south to that area I was sitting. Found a big tree and got settled at the base of it. I raked the leaves away there so I can move a bit. In doing so I didn’t try to be quiet cause I figured another deer would think it’s another deer pawing or scraping. Sure enough right after I settled in I heard footsteps coming straight at me. By the moonlight I could tell it was a small spike and when it got to about 4 yards to the side of me he figured something wasn’t right and I wasn’t his buddy. He trotted back the way he came.

I think I seen a doe or 2 later after daylight and then probably close to 8:45 or so I did some grunting. About 45 seconds later I caught movement to my left across a small ditch and here comes a small dinker 8. Turned my video on and as I was waiting on him to appear on this side of the ditch I heard quick footsteps coming down the hill in front of me. I slowly swung that way and a spike was pushing a doe and her young one. They came in front of me and then started going back the same way but now they got the little dinker 8 following them as well.

Little later the dinker 8 came back and crossed in front of me about 8 yards away. Had the look like something bigger had chased him back or least that’s what I was hoping. Sure enough a little later here comes what I’m guessing is the same doe and young one but this time a bigger buck. I quickly realized he was too young as well but i couldn’t get the video on my phone on in time as they went by so I just took a snapshot of him before they disappeared. Not a good pic at all but I seen a little few kickers on him. Maybe I’ll get a pic of him on one of my cameras there cause I’m curious what he looks like with those extra points. I thought this morning I was going to be sitting close to one of my cameras he had set out a little over a week ago but I didn’t see it and I didn’t want to be walking around too much. One day I’ll pull the cards. Happened so quick I didn’t get a real good look.

Seen some more deer after that crossing back at forth. Stayed there till about 11:30 and then got up and spruced up my spot up with a few extra branches and then dropped back into the river and headed back to the truck.

This 1st and 2nd pic is of that bigger buck but like I said it’s not a good pic. The other 2 is of that dinker 8. Later Crested is going to post that video of that little dinker 8 for me later. After they left I swung the video to my left all the way across to my right to show y’all what I’m looking at…thought the video might help more than pics to show y’all the area. The river of course is behind me. I’m covering the same area as I was yesterday. I can see the tree I was sitting at yesterday which is out in front of and a little left about 50 yards away.

01-Nov-23

Our friend here is taking a nap so I’ll post some pics of the small river on my way out. My place is on the left side. The 3rd pic of the colorful rocks is on the north side of the place as well as the last pic.

01-Nov-23

These 2 pics is of the tree this morning before and after I put some extra limbs around it. It’s a bigger tree and plenty big enough to hide my outline. If you zoom in on the 2nd pic you can see my bow in the shadow to give a size reference of it.

01-Nov-23
Looks like a neat place, and the deer are obviously using or passing through it. Good luck bud!

01-Nov-23
Looks like an amazing place

01-Nov-23
Looking good so far. Hope you have some good ones in the area.

01-Nov-23
Mike: have a good time and we may get together soon.

01-Nov-23

Yeah I’m pretty happy with the place…we’ll see how it plays out. I stopped the truck beside the road on the way out awhile ago after dark and finally found that one camera I’ve been looking for on the way in yesterday…it was further off the fence than I thought. No big ones but did get a few pics of the decent brow buck and yes he’s spindly and young. Needs 2 more years I’m guessing. This other young one might possibly be the one from this morning chasing that doe by. If you look close his right g4 looks like it might have a split and possibly I seen that but who knows…I think it was a different deer though.

9:30…I’m going to bed. I’ll be back at the same spot in the morning. Hopefully an old one will cruise by. I’m not going to be too picky on the horn size here in Missouri but he’s still got to have some age.

Dave maybe see each other soon….hmmm that tells me you either about to come to Texas to see me or you want me to pick you up on my way through Kansas to hunt with me. Either way is fine with me and can’t wait.

Didn’t see a single deer this evening which is not too surprising cause I didn’t figure it was a very good evening spot in the beginning. Only spot I got permission though to hunt so far unless I drive a little further and hunt some public ground. Told him I might have to start knocking on some doors cause I need an evening spot.

01-Nov-23
Be Still...here ya go. Sorry, but like I said a 2nd generation I-Phone video can sometimes come out a little fuzzy. 1st generation videos straight from your phone come out way better. Anyway, I think I hear that little buck grunt at the 1:02 and 1:17 mark of the video. Good Luck!

02-Nov-23
I think a "generational iPhone" is in order here? Any video clip sent from phone via email/text will have to be compressed, still a cool clip bro. Hope you had some action today, and that both of you can save up enough to buy an Android!

02-Nov-23
Android Users = Sitka Wearers ;?)

02-Nov-23

Kyle's new 2024 Sitka line Papa Smurf "glow in the dark" Blue
Kyle's new 2024 Sitka line Papa Smurf "glow in the dark" Blue
LOL!

02-Nov-23

Hey I like my phone…I’m used to it. Sounds like I’m too poor to buy an Android anyways.

Crested you crack me up with that word….generation. I’ve heard you use that word in a lot of different ways. Thank you for posting it though. Maybe my dirt clod self will learn how to do it one day.

So not much action today. Only 3 deer total today with both morning and evening sits. I heard a little flapping of wings up above me in that big Cottonwood I had my back against just as it was starting to break day. Looked up and spotted a Turkey. Now look at this nest though…thing was huge. I’m thinking it might be an eagle’s nest but I’m not sure or maybe it’s just a giant generation squirrel’s nest.

Took my range finder and the branch towards the top the Turkey was on was 90ft. I’m thinking that nest was probably around 4ft across.

Thought it was pretty cool though with the moon in the pic as well. I need to take that video-slash camera I bought last year out…still haven’t used it one time yet. Can y’all spot the Turkey?

02-Nov-23
That is a big ol nest. Probably an eagle. But could also be a blue heron

02-Nov-23
I think I see the Turkey….is it on the other end of the camera, LOL!

Time to switch it up. Get ole Pip-Squeak out! Might catch a big one cutting across your timber and come in to investigate…and then give him a generational whammo!

02-Nov-23
I’m betting eagles nest. Any other turkeys nearby? Or just the one?

03-Nov-23
4:45…he went to take a $hit so I thought I would give y’all an update.

Brian there was a lot of Turkeys roosted nearby the evening before. I ended up sneaking out of there without scaring them but yesterday morning I made some fly off going down through the river. The moon probably didn’t help none in that regards.

Crested if we ever get to Kansas in time we’re going to be using Pipsqueak a whole lot this year. He’s got a big deer showing up at a scrape the last 3 or 4 nights here in Iowa. Told him I would help him take Pipsqueak in and set him out this morning and I would sit back behind him and watch. Told him I would have just as much fun watching him shoot one. It’s a perfect spot to decoy too but he’s so dam stubborn and he’s not going to do it…it’s aggravating me.

I haven’t took a shower since I’ve been up here so it’s probably time. The plumbing in this house doesn’t have a vent so the water doesn’t drain very fast so we got to use water sparingly.

I’m going to take y’all on a public hunting spot in Missouri this morning. Never have been at this place but I’ve found a pretty good looking spot on aerial maps…hopefully since it’s a Friday nobody will be there. Public land sometimes can be tough but it’s exciting sometimes. I might even have phone signal there…we’ll see.

03-Nov-23
Best of luck today! Missouri has some great public land to hunt.

I’m fixin’ to fire up the pickup, and head up to Iowa with the dogs to chase pheasants for the weekend. Maybe we’ll cross paths! :)

03-Nov-23

We’re right on the border Kyler and I drive a white dusty truck:?) Good luck on pheasants.

Really good looking public land this morning but didn’t see one deer. Didn’t walk around too much in case I hunt there this evening but I seen decent sign.

Trying to get him to take me to a neighbor’s place to see if I could hunt this one place close to his house for a couple evenings. Just got talking to the neighbor next to my place across the river but he told me he’s already gave permission to somebody else. I need an evening spot by some food so I can set out Pipsqueak.

03-Nov-23

More pics of the public place. I love Missouri’s CRP with the rolling hills.

03-Nov-23
Back to public this evening. We won’t be quite as picky. Instead of one having to be around 1,975 days old I might would settle for one that’s around 1,610 days old.

03-Nov-23
Careful, don’t let your standards slip to low lol. That does look like some good looking public ground. Good luck.

04-Nov-23
5:07…we’ve been up since a little after 3 arguing about hunting off the ground. I think that’s the main reason I couldn’t talk him into taking Pipsqueak over there yesterday morning without a stand hung to try and get that one.

He hunted that place for the first time yesterday evening. I helped him stand up and brushed in a tripod at midday the day before. Well when I got home last night I could tell soon as he opened his mouth he was worked up and something had happened.

Said soon as he got in the stand he had cut a small little branch. He picked up his bow and reached and put pressure on his quiver to take it off his bow. Something made him look over though and he spotted a buck that had just lowered his head to go under a branch but had froze and was staring straight at him. He was 60 something yards and they stared each other down for a couple minutes with the buck finally slowing turning back the other way and walked off. Said he nearly knows for sure he was coming to check the scrape cause it was between them. Probably had 30 more seconds to work with the deer would have been dead…now ain’t that something. Yes it was the big one there he’s after.

I’m headed back to my place this morning. It’s supposed to be super calm most of the day and he’s worried where I’m hunting off the ground I won’t get drawn back without spooking something. Hoping to prove him wrong and be back in time to watch the Cats take the Longhorns down at 11:00. If it don’t happen by then I might try and sit all day but we’ll see.

04-Nov-23

9:07 he went to bed earlier and I’m just drinking with this wild Turkey watching football so I’ll catch y’all up.

On the way this morning to my place going down the gravel road I spot a dim reddish glow. Thought I better slow down and sure enough my headlights spot an Amish buggy. Had my window down a little and very cool to here the homemade wood wheels on gravel as he passes me in the moonlight.

Get to my spot and walk to my base of the tree. Very calm with the moon nearly directly ahead. Shortly later a owl lands just in front of highlighted against the skyline. Goes to another limb aways off and let’s his voice heard…that sound never gets old.

Before sunup 4 does make their way through right beside me. All quite until around 9:20 when this tinker bell goes beside me at about 6 yards. That’s it until a little after 11:00 and I decide to get out of there.

04-Nov-23

Before I got out of there though I snuck down about 10 yards to where I got that camera on that mock scrape I made and pulled the card. Got back to the house and sure enough the 1st pic is of decent brows and then going to the scrape and putting his nose down. Other pics shows does coming there with this other decent buck trailing this doe that stop there as well. This buck here shows he might have a little age on him even though he doesn’t have big horns. If I see him when I’m sitting there and I think he’s old enough it might be a possibility of pulling back…we’ll see how old he looks in daylight.

I got like 40 or 50 consecutive pics of one doe at that scrape. Now I think it’s set like on seconds instead of minutes but they are liking how that spot smells.

04-Nov-23

Sequence of pics of the buck that’s with the doe that looks like he has some thickness to his body and might possibly be old enough. Need to see him in person first. Pretty sure he’s with this doe and they were getting it on already or shortly thereafter. It’s looks by these pics he wasn’t chasing but just giving her space and letting her do her shopping.

The first pic you can see her going to the mock scrape to check it out and then in the 2nd and 3rd pics you can still see the backend of him behind the tree to the left. He’s hanging back giving her time. Then in the 4th pic after she decides to move on but you can still see the backend of her to the right he slowly starts following. Another hint he might have a little age cause he’s learned how to treat the ladies.

04-Nov-23

A few more better pics of him. Like I said the horns are not great but if he is old enough I might try and eat him.

Sorry about the quality of these pics. This camera ain’t very good but at least it works.

It’s getting late folks and this ole man is wearing me out on his sleep schedule. I was so dam tired this morning but I had to force myself out of bed…I gotta get some sleep. I had a good exciting time this evening out there…I’ll tell y’all about it early early in the morning if I get time.

05-Nov-23
5:55….I’ve got one bar of signal in this tree. Sorry I forgot about the time change so I will at one point or other catch y’all up on yesterday evening but not now.

At lunch Yesterday I left and came back later and hung this Hang-On on the edge of the river bank for a south to southwest wind. Perfect spot…I still need to Triim some limbs but this is a lot better. I can relax and move just a tad every so often without me feeling I’m going to booger something. My view is incredible here.

Anyway it’s calm with the half moon overhead. Everything is pretty quiet so let’s stay that way as well and see what happens. Seen decent action from this stand yesterday evening so I’m ready for daylight…but not rushing it either. Just heard another owl….let’s go

05-Nov-23
Good luck Tex, hope you get a shot.

05-Nov-23
Good luck. Hope that doe brings that buck by in the daylight and he’s old enough for you. He would be a shooter for this meat hunter.

05-Nov-23

Back to yesterday evening. There were 2 hang on stands in the same tree that was left on the place from the previous. Guessing he did some filming. Decided to take both down…sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they pick a spot. Took one down and soon as I got it hung in the tree I went back to the truck and got my bow.

Awhile later I caught movement under a branch right beside the waters edge down at the river. Put my binoculars up and…another dang mountain lion:?)

A little bit later he crosses the creek and heads right up the little ravine I use to walk up out of the river. There was a squirrel playing in the leaves and I thought I was about to get a cool video of a bobcat stalking a squirrel. About that time I thought I heard a deer so I slowly turn my head. When I came back to him he was staring straight at me. Couldn’t believe he caught that move.

Anyways he stared for a pretty long time before drops by back down and walked on down the river.

First pic is of him staring at me…I’m sure y’all can find him in there. The other pics just look for his dark colored legs at the bottom.

Just a minute or 2 later I spot movement and sound to my right…a small 8 looking towards where kitty had disappeared.

05-Nov-23

A little later another small 8 appeared on the bench below me…the other 8 down at the river heard the steps and came up. At one point I thought they was going to touch horns but nope. They just circled each other and eventually went separate ways.

Right at dark seen one doe and her young one.

05-Nov-23

Back to this morning…literally just I got through typing to y’all I heard a few soft grunts. Put my phone up and I could here his footsteps coming to me in the leaves. Passes by at 8 yards with the moonlight shining on his horns. Don’t think it was a big one though. Right after daylight a dinker came from the river and basically took the same trail as the one before but the opposite way.

About 15 minutes after daylight I heard and spot a truck park way across the river. I assumed it was the hunter that got permission before me for the cut cornfield there. Sure enough I seen him walk across the middle of the field to his stand somewhere on the south side in a narrow strip of woods…the same woods the deer I’m seeing I’m sure are using going back and forth when they cross the river. See nothing else until 9:37 and I catch movement in the cornfield…it’s the hunter headed back to his truck.

I stay till 10:45. Since I’m not sitting all day I figure this is long enough since the time change it was like staying till 11:45 the day before. Look real good all around me one last time before I drop the horns to the ground. Lower my bow and get myself down. Turn to leave and look up…Buck broadside looking straight at me about 70 to 80 yards away through the trees on the bench. He turns…instantly realizes it sure ain’t no dink and thinking it’s the one I was wanting to get a better look but not this kind of way. Caught a whirl of a main frame 10 on one side and my heart sinks. Long story made short I don’t think he completely boogered cause he just bounded a few times and kept stopping and looking back. I dropped off the edge of the bank and spotted him again and he just stood there for a long time. Try to take some pics of him Thornton style but I’m not as talented as him. After getting a better look I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have shot him and I’m kind of thinking it’s a different deer…tines looked a little shorter. Anyways I hugged the inside of the bottom of the river bank and I think I got out of there safely.

Oh yeah that one bar of signal comes and goes there and that’s the reason for no more updates this morning. Headed to the same spot now. Few pics of the spot.

05-Nov-23
Well well…about 5:00 I tried to send an update to y’all cause it showed one bar but it didn’t go through.

Here’s what it read. About 45 minutes ago Decent Brows crossed in front of me and went down in the river bed. Went to the water and got a drink and then crossed. I thought oh man here we go cause when I got into my stand I seen the hunters truck way over. I’m not going to lie….the thought of intentionally scaring that deer away so that hunter wouldn’t shoot that young deer crossed my mind. I knew that wasn’t the right or morally thing to do though and plus there could be a chance he was a mature deer hunter as well. That’s what that update was going to read…here’s what happened after that.

I knew about where that guy was sitting though so I was still hoping Decent Brows would catch the hunters wind first since he was on the north side of the hunter with the south wind blowing. A little later I spotted him walking back across and instantly I felt better….I was like yes.

Kept watching though through the zoom glasses and thought I noticed a wound mark high up and back. Thought maybe then I also noticed a little limp in his walk. I thought surely not…surely not. Looked real close and thought I seen a little blood down below that mark but I thought I sure hope I’m just imagining that.

He ended up disappearing into the river bed where it was thicker trees quite a bit further up than where he originally crossed. I never did see him cross though so thought he either bedded there and if did then he’s wounded or he went further north.

A few minutes later I seen a few deer a lot further north and I notice one was a buck and I sure was hoping it was him. Later they look like they were headed this way and then disappeared. Later I heard a loud crash and then caught a white tail go up my bank. Little later I seen the hunter just on the other side on the edge of the cornfield walking from that direction. Yep I didn’t feel good at that point. I tried to whistle but I can’t whistle loud so after a few failed attempts I just hollered hey Sir. He answered and I said did you shoot a deer and he said yes.

Now I already didn’t feel good and didn’t necessarily want to ruin the rest of my hunt cause in the evening they’re usually coming from the opposite direction from where he was at.

But I knew I had to do the right thing and his problem just came my problem. Told him to stay right there and I would come to him cause I knew where the deer entered. Now I tried to be nice but when I got to him I did let him know that I had passed this deer and I was hoping he would’ve lived longer. I could tell he was young though and excited so I didn’t go very hard on him. He admitted he got shook up and said he was only 28 yrs old and only been bowhunting for 4 years.

After he hinted that I was making him feel worse for saying it was a young deer I really backed off and said don’t worry about it cause it happens. Had to tell even after my years of experience I shot a very young deer 2 years ago in Kansas. Could tell he wasn’t experienced in tracking. Told him there’s a good chance you hit the No Man’s Land between the vitals and the spine but there’s a chance you caught liver. Told him if he got liver and if he would have waited about 4 hours there would’ve been a decent chance he would have died in his bed there in that thick stuff beside the river.

We went to where he jumped which was right where I seen him enter. Tried to find his bed but I didn’t see it and no blood. Told him not to focus too much on the ground but against tall weeds and branches and stuff where he would rub on his side.

He didn’t have rubber boots so I crossed the river cause I had a good idea where he went up my bank. Looked at obvious trail and there was plenty of tall weeds there but no blood. Went just a few feet north and my flashlight caught wet sand on drier sand where his hooves had brought the wet sand with him. Sure followed that up and where he crossed a log I found the first drop of blood. On just the other side was a couple more drops on the ground.

Went back across and told him about it. Told him I was going to go get my bow out of the tree and meet him back there at 8:30 tonight. Told him if he got some liver we need to at least wait 4 hours. He was nice and said he didn’t want to ruin my hunt anymore cause he already felt bad but I told him not to worry about that and it’s not a problem. Told him more or less it’s our job now to find it. We can’t just let a deer go to waste if there’s a chance.

I know most of y’all would say let the deer lay overnight but I want to try and save the meat for this kid.

05-Nov-23

Here’s a few snapshots of Decent Brows as he crossed in front of me and went across the river right before he got shot.

05-Nov-23
Sure hope you find him, you're doing right

05-Nov-23
Really hope you find him. You’re a good man helping him look.

06-Nov-23

11:57….thought I would give y’all a quick update before I go to bed. We gave it a good try but didn’t find him. Overall I’m guessing he went about 500 yards after the shot where we found the last spot of blood and couldn’t find no more. His batteries on both of his lights was going out and I wasn’t sure how much battery my light had so we called it off. There was spots on the trail where we was finding pretty good blood and some looked even a little lungy.

He said the way the hill went up he was nearly level with the deer and he knew he might have hit a little high. He said though he seen his arrow kick low and to the right when it entered the deer and that makes sense cause the side I seen when he came across the field was the exit and it was pretty dang high and little far back. Could have hit a rib and glance up making just catching a little of one lung or something.

Anyways good young man and told him don’t let this get you down too much. Even tried to give me a hundred dollar bill…I said boy you don’t realize how much I love to hunt and do all this.

Lol showed him the video of him right in front of me the first day I was there and he was like…yeah I shouldn’t have shot him. He did say he was going to learn from this and sometimes a little pain is a good thing. Your body naturally kicks in and remembers that hurt and doesn’t want to go near that again.

A few pics of the blood.

06-Nov-23
Good on you for helping him out!

06-Nov-23
I may be in the minority, but I agree with you on leaving them overnight as a last resort. Where I hunt leaving them overnight means there is good chance of losing the meat to coyotes. I have gone out at after waiting 4 or 5 hours on what felt were liver shots made in the evening and found the deer at least twice that I remember. I have left deer overnight 5 or 6 times when I felt I was a gut shot or other marginal hit, and at least twice most of the meat was lost to coyotes.

06-Nov-23

Really good morning. The ole man chewed on me some for leaving the screen door open on the other side of the main door yesterday. This morning I could tell he was waiting on me so I mentioned he was waiting so he could shut it…he says well it just irritates me cause it reminds of a kid just not paying attention.

Pulled out of the driveway and remember I forgot my coveralls. Hop out of the truck and he still waiting at the entrance…with a raised voice he yells you ran over my trash bag.

Get to my tree and already sweating cause it’s hot. Climb up and have a little problem getting up on the hang on from the screw-in steps cause I got to monkey around and hang one arm on the tree limb behind me to get in. Took my quiver off around my head and it knocks my flashlight off my head and to the ground…was going to leave it but it was still shining. Down the tree again and back up. This time trying to get in I bump one of the antlers but it’s still barely hanging on. I grabbed it in time and just hung there for bit and started laughing. About that time it slipped and fell down anyway. I stopped laughing and got in the seat and sat down. I was sweating like a dam hog and I was going down no more.

Came out of the top part of my coveralls and took my shirts off to let the air hit my skin. A few minutes later I heard a deer coming through the leaves towards me…I’ve been hunting long enough to know what a deer sounds like. I can’t see the body cause it’s still pretty dark. Wait I see it and it has a dark body and a white head…dam opossum.

That one horn that decided to hang on in the tree with me ended up having a good time though. No deer but it was sure pretty to see fog low down in the cut corn and later drift across the river

06-Nov-23
Good on you Calhoun!

06-Nov-23
Mama said there would be days like that. Been there and done that. Hang in there.

06-Nov-23
You leave one here in PT Co. and it's GONE.

06-Nov-23

Pretty quiet evening. About 20 minutes before dark I heard foot steps coming. Grabbed my bow and got ready. Took awhile but eventually I seen him. Right away I could tell this is the most mature buck I’ve seen out there so far. Put my hook on the release cause he’s closing on in.

Took a look at he’s a clean 10 with decent mass but his tines were a little too short. He didn’t make my heart skip or anything so he gets to live to keep crossing back and forth through the river.

Got my phone out instead and started videoing. He gets about 8 yards and bam…he looks straight at me. Now I thought I had been still but maybe I was sky lined and he caught something. He did a few up and downs with his head and then turned and trotted a few yards before stopping and going down through a cut in the bank I use to get to the stand when I go down the river. Went beside me at 25 yards down the river bar. I had just trimmed some limbs earlier to open up this shooting lane down there. I really like this setup. Somebody is going to kill a big deer out of this tree whether it’s me or one of y’all.

I’m ready to get to Kansas though. That reminds I keep forgetting to tell y’all. A couple days ago as ole man was excitedly talking to me at lunch time cause he had seen a lot of deer that morning my phone showed a call coming in. Told him I better take this one. It was the good game warden from Kansas. Long story short he relayed some bad news to me. 3 doe had been poached from the road on one of the places I hunt. Asked if I wanted to press charges if he caught who it was and I said absolutely. Told me the first doe was about 10 yards from the road and the 2nd and 3rd a little further out. All complete pass throughs with what looked like a 30 Cal he said. Pretty sad when somebody just shoots them just to lay and take no meat.

Told him that’s not good since some parts in that area is losing deer already. He said yep that’s he already been getting calls from hunters this year asking where are all the deer.

06-Nov-23
This is a great live hunt, and you might be a redneck but you're a good one.

07-Nov-23
A bad mo flo country boy sounds better but I can’t always get what I want:?)

4:50…about to head out this morning. I can hunt any wind except any kind of east wind and that’s we got today. I’m headed back to public.

I know this doesn’t sound very sexy and romantic in deer hunting terms but I’m thinking about shooting a younger buck this morning if I get a chance.

Wanted Erica to fix us some deer so I could bring it up here for us to eat on. She said we were out of it so I really need to think about getting that cooler full before I head back. Not sure if I can make myself draw back on one but we’ll see.

07-Nov-23
Looky here I’ve got a little signal but I don’t have my readers so…..

6:04….not sure if I like this spot but it’s breaking day so going to sit here for a bit. Talking to the guy in the parking lot it sounds like people are not seeing much at all on this place. Between 3 guys the other day only one doe was seen.

Hear crows already and it’s going to be another beautiful but hot day….shhh be quiet.

07-Nov-23
Why not a doe?

07-Nov-23
6:20….I’ll explain later Kyler.

Just checked the aerial and I don’t like this spot so I’m moving. Got to get further down the ways I believe.

07-Nov-23
Good luck today! Shoot whatever floats your boat and get some meat in the freezer for your wife/family. I told you this when you decoyed that KS buck from the ground and had buyer's remorse... it's just a deer, there will be more of them (I still believe that). The vast majority of hunters during the good old day of giants were "it's brown it's down" type of guys. I think that works well for a diy guy hunting random spots here n there. I don't think it works well for an outfitter putting a new group on the same property every weekend.

07-Nov-23
Cat I’ll read yours later.

6:24…. A lot better location but harder to get shot off. Just heard some gobblers sound off. Alright let’s hunt

07-Nov-23
Cat's got it right, enjoy the hunt, it's your tag and you can put it on any deer you choose. Light and variable winds here this morning, so I skipped it.

07-Nov-23
Take no prisoners! ;)

07-Nov-23
I agree. Shoot what makes you happy. A perfect example is the one you passed the other day, someone else shot. Especially on public land and small properties.

07-Nov-23
7:41….well about 10 minutes ago I spotted movement. Nope it was a hunter wearing an orange cap. Caught more movement and here’s walking an all wearing camo guy coming from private. Thought for sure it was a private landowner coming to talk to the hunter. After a bit I stood up cause they were only about 60 yards from me and I could see they wasn’t carirying no bows as they started walking and getting close to me.

I’m thinking maybe he had shot a deer so I started walking towards them and asked them if they had shot a deer. Had to ask twice and they still acted like they didn’t know where the sound was coming from. Thought dude I’m like 30 yards from you across the ditch…surely you see me.

Anyways no they were just casually strolling through the woods scouting they said. Come on guys it’s November 7th and y’all want to take this day to go scouting this small place. I know y’all had to see the 2 trucks up in the parking lot. That’s what I wanted to say but I held my tongue.

Since his buddy was just across the fence I told them kindly that just across that low fence there that is private. Right after I said that he says I know I’m looking at my GPS as his buddy decides to step back across. Again I wanted to say….well why in the hell did I just see your buddy coming from the private. Know telling how far back in the private he came friim. Again I held my tongue though.

Asked me if I was from Texas and I said yeah….not yes sir. They said they were from Louisiana like I should be impredssed or something. I wanted to say…well does Louisiana guys usually scout on November 7th when other people are trying to hunt not to mention walking on ground you don’t have permission on? For the 3rd time I held my tongue on that remark only to say…Oh Yeah.

After some chitter Chatter about if anybody been seeing anything I told them I was going to ease back.they turned around and went back the way they came from. I should have let the 2 blind bats get real close to me and came off the ground real quick with a yell…they would’ve probably $hit their britches.

Well instead of going back to my truck I decided to kill some time typing this to y’all. I had made a wide loop around to this spot cause the other day I noticed some cut corn on the neighbors to the east. Along that tree line on the public was some pretty good scrapes. I hunted that evening over there and 2 doe came from this direction.

The spot I’m in this morning is where 2 ditches meet coming from the cut corn right before it meets private. Pretty good looking spot and with the east wind I was hoping to catch some deer coming down the ditches headed back to bedding but nope….all I caught was 2 fudge-ups coming from that direction.

That one guy even said yeah there is some pretty good looking scrapes back over there on that east line….again I held my tongue.

You know I held my tongue a lot through that conversation so I appreciate y’all let me get it out here. Guys like that does no good to say anything anyhow…they wouldn’t even comprehend it.

Lord forgive me for judging people and complaining just a little. Let’s get back to hunting. Maybe the deer will be late coming from the field or maybe them 2 nice intelligent guys will scare some my way.

07-Nov-23
Too bad the kid felt bad about shooting that deer. It must have been enough to make him happy at the time. Now he will be questioning himself

07-Nov-23
9:27….just had a doe at 12 yard about 6 minutes ago.. She surprised me and all of a sudden was just there. Made sure nothing else was around and then took some video of her. She milled around there for a bit and then started walking.

I’ll send some pics later. I tried to send a pic of those guys and it wouldn’t send. I guess this one bar of signal is not enough for pics.

07-Nov-23

Back at the house and about to go back somewhere here in a bit. No more deer seen. At about 10:00 something I was about to do a still hunt straight in front of me back to the truck. About that time another hunter comes walking up the edge. He gets with in about 10 yards and still hasn’t seen me. I have to wave and say something…by his face I knew it startled him.

Really nice young man and he apologized and said he would turn around. I said nope I was just about to leave anyways. We ended up talking for a good while and then I left. He had actually hung a stand that I didn’t see it right away when I sat down cause it was partly hidden behind a tree. Noticed a little later and was glad nobody was in it. He hung it in a good spot.

Pics of the spot I was at and in the second pic you can see part of it. Can’t believe I didn’t see it before I got there but I guess I was focused on deer.

07-Nov-23

Pics of the doe…she was behind the green shrubbery to the right there for a while before she moved more to an opening to the left. I think she caught a whiff of me and took off.

I guess my coveralls was blended in with the leaves pretty good this morning.

07-Nov-23
Sorry Cat I nearly forgot about you.

Now Cat I didn’t decoy that one in. If you remember right that was just supposed to be a fun day walking around rattling in the hills. I rattled him in and then he rattled me in and it all went downhill from there.

Thank you for reminding about that rough day though:?)

And oh yeah Kyler…seems like everywhere I’ve been in the last 20 or so years it seems I’ve always been on places where deer numbers seem to be down. It did run across my mind about shooting that doe this morning but I don’t think the deer numbers are good there either. I don’t like shooting a doe if I’m not seeing the numbers.

07-Nov-23
I see. I figured Missouri would have pretty good deer numbers.

If you ever need to take a few does for the freezer, give me a shout! The deer population is very healthy in my part of the state. It’s just the mature bucks that can be hard to come by.

07-Nov-23

Went back to my place this evening. There was a whole lot of movement on the public place but it was from the 10 toed mammal.

Went to the far north of my property hoping the east southeast wind would have just enough south in for the deer coming from the west. Had a doe come across about 15 yards in front of me from the west right after sunset so I guess it did.

I seen a cool looking bird as well. Flew not too far away from just across the river and then later landed on this tree a good ways out.

07-Nov-23

I looked at the time when I first took a pic and he stayed on this here branch for a little over an hour. Had plenty of time to do some Thornton style pics.

07-Nov-23
Bowhunt I went back and looked at your post. Hope you don’t think I chewed the young man out cause I didn’t. But right away I seen a lot of me in him when I was that age. I could really tell he wants just to shoot mature deer and this probably won’t be the last time he lets one fly on a younger deer. I’ve did it many times when I was younger and think to myself why do I keep doing this.

People that know me personally know I don’t have no ill will against people that meat hunt or just shoot whatever. My Dad was a meat hunter and I loved him dearly.

I do think though in the near future there’s going to come a time when people need to start thinking about conservation and just taking mature or even the ones that are going down hill. I’m not talking about just for the size of the horns either. More people are born daily but more land ain’t being born.

Back in the day and there’s still some places where there’s plenty of deer. On those places it doesn’t hurt one bit probably to shoot younger deer but some of these places won’t hold up if people just keep thinking about the now instead of the later.

07-Nov-23
How many days left for you in MO? Are you headed directly to KS afterwards?

07-Nov-23
When I left Kyle I reserved myself a week here and then I was wanting to be in Kansas. Well that week was up today but I really hate to quit on a place. We’ll see what happens in the next day or so. Heard there’s a cool front coming through here in a few days and I would love to be in Kansas then. Maybe tomorrow it will happen here.

But yes I will go straight there from here.

08-Nov-23

Dang man! That guys public land hang on stand was right there in front of you (circled in yellow) and looked to be no more than 30 ft. from you and no more than 10ft. off the ground?

You best get on your way to KS for some real deer hunting. You’re slowly losing all your faculties, LOL!

08-Nov-23
Come on man. That stand was 48 ft away and I’m guessing around 11ft off the ground so…

Headed to my tree stand this morning. Y’all have done seen enough pics from there so I’m going to slow down on that…unless we see something awesome like 2 mountain lions mating.

Hope y’all like short and sour cause I’m a little tired of typing and ready to shoot one…we’re donna get it done son.

08-Nov-23
Today is the day! I can feel it!

Shoot straight, and shoot to kill. :)

08-Nov-23
Get er done. My fingers are crossed.

08-Nov-23
Seen one fawn. Another deer across on the neighbor and that’s it.

Ole man shot a good en though. He called 3 times while I was in the stand so I thought I better get down. Headed there now…it was already a real good day but it even got better now. Hot diggity dog

08-Nov-23
Cool! Dead for sure or blood trailing?

08-Nov-23

I think he’s pretty dead.

Alright now. I talked him into showing a few pics cause I said y’all are some good ole boys so y’all don’t let me down. He doesn’t like attention so these pics just stay right here with y’all.

It was a wonderful feeling to hear excitement in his voice when he answered. I said man you scared me after I got the 2nd 3rd phone call from you…just had enough enough signal for the call to come through but that was it. Thought you had got hurt…Naw just wanted to know if you want to see or want this deer you better get on over cause we need to do something with it.

Believe that was the quickest I had made those gravel backroads. Pulled and it’s pretty neat to see this ole man’s joy. He’s only missed 2 or 3 morning or evening sits since October 1st when bow season started…and that was in the first week when their was one or 2 rainy days.

This man hollers a lot when he talks. He yells out this morning right before we split ways and I think it was right after he carried in some logs for the stove….these deer are pissing me off. The big ones kept showing up where he wasn’t. Well he caught up to a good en this morning and he ain’t pissed no more.

For celebration I went and bought us some cheeseburgers and made sure not to get jalapeños on his. The other day he acted like the peppers was killing him:?)

Wouldn’t you know it he hasn’t hollered or got cranky with me not one time this morning. Life is really good around here right now and you probably couldn’t find 2 happier fellers anywheres around.

He hinted on giving me the meat and I said well I’ll cut it all up myself. Of course he’s not about to let me do it by myself though. We’ve already got it cut up and in the cooler.

Well he just told me. Mike it’s time you better go get in the tree. Did I just catch a tad more volume in that voice. Told me the only thing that would make this day get any better is for me to draw blood…I better go y’all before he starts hollering.

08-Nov-23
pretty buck..makes me even more anxious to get out of this office :)

08-Nov-23
That's the kind of buck we'd all hope to have a chance at, congrats to "ol'yeller"!

08-Nov-23
Awesome all the way around! Congrats to the old man and good luck to you tonight!

08-Nov-23
Whoa that's a beauty! Congrats to him

08-Nov-23
That’s worth sitting five weeks for. Congrats to the old buzzard!

08-Nov-23
What a dandy of a buck!

08-Nov-23
Great buck!!! Tell your buddy we’re impressed and duly jealous! Glad for your memories made. The Mrs and I will be after them tomorrow.

08-Nov-23
All kinds of awesome there!

08-Nov-23
That’s a great buck. Tell the “ old fella” way to stick with it and get it done. Good luck to you tonight.

08-Nov-23
Nice!

08-Nov-23

Didn’t see one deer at my place but that’s perfectly alright. Got to thinking though when I was sitting over there earlier. My place is under 10 acres and I haven’t seen or even got a pic of one that I would pull back on.

Now the ole man by the way has multiple places in Iowa and a good buck on most all of them and a few places multiple good ones. Now if it took him 5 solid weeks of sitting out there to get it done I could sit here the rest of the year and all I might be doing is just yapping to y’all how about the squirrels and the eagles.

Well it’s 8:31 right now. I just threw everything in the truck and stop at this store to head out. Going to try and be on the side of that one hill before daylight in Kansas to so me and Pipsqueak can watch the sunrise together. I’m not about to let the ole man get the best of me.

By the way I told him y’all deserve some better looks of this deer. He let me take some fancy pics. Old Yeller…that made me laugh and that’s a perfect name for him. I gots to go…y’all be good.

08-Nov-23
Good luck in God’s Country!!

09-Nov-23
Glad to have you back in Kansas! :)

Best of luck to you on today’s hunt!

09-Nov-23
Good luck this morning. It's cooled off this where I'm at and the breeze is constant. Great conditions, plus it's Nov 9th! Going to be a lot of happy hunters across this state today!

09-Nov-23
Glad you made it. Good luck today.

09-Nov-23

09-Nov-23
I've got one of those fancy new cell camera's pointed at my driveway. It's been sending me pics all stinking morning! Deer are moving guys! Good luck to all of ya!

• Sitka Gear