Corax_latrans 07-Nov-23
longbeard 08-Nov-23
Brian M. 08-Nov-23
Corax_latrans 08-Nov-23
N8tureBoy 10-Nov-23
Brian M. 11-Nov-23
steve 11-Nov-23
07-Nov-23
Do any of you hunt your own yard deer? I have 4 acres, we see deer almost daily. All does, never bucks. My neighbor hates them cause they eat his gardens. Last night our dog puked on the floor, she had a belly full of deer shit. I'm thinking it's time to fill a doe tag right here at home.

07-Nov-23
I hunt other peoples yards.

07-Nov-23
I don’t…. But I have zero issues with it. If my yard were big enough for deer to use it, my only concerns would be what chemicals my neighbors were using on their lawns and how to get a dead deer into the garage without upsetting anyone unnecessarily.

JMO, there’s zero difference between a “hunter” who won’t let anyone shoot their pet deer and an Anti-hunter who won’t let anyone shoot their pet deer… except that the Anti isn’t a hypocrite.

07-Nov-23
Lol Steve, I know, me too.

07-Nov-23
I have three acres. There are always local does that hang around all year… I will not shoot any of those. But every single year from about November 10 or 11th until about December 3rd or 4th I will get a parade of bucks that enter the yard, not for more than two or three days at a time. I have always tried to shoot those… But they are always night time, unless there is a doe in heat, and they will show up once or twice during the day.

It’s very educational learning when different bucks show up in my yard.

07-Nov-23
Oh, no hypocrite here CL, lol. I've shot 2 or 3 on the property in the past. I just now picked out a tree that isn't directly in front of our sliding glass doors so my wife doesn't have to watch, lol. Was just wondering if you guys enjoyed watching the home grown and did your killing away from home and family. Or maybe only hunt at home wood lot?

07-Nov-23
I haven't hunted Toyland in a couple yrs..its almost the same scenario that Blood is speaking of..used to get some slammers coming thru..I used to laugh at who patterned who..garage door opens/closes a deer would pop up..diesel truck goes by another deer..school bus another deer..not always but enough to be funny..too bad the guy 2 houses up demolished the bedding area to park his boats and such,it was nice watching deer come down the hill heading towards the swamp

07-Nov-23
During the late season sometimes I have deer coming by in droves in a 60 yard block of timber between my yard and a major road. I’ve never brought myself to hunt for them not to say that I won’t in the future. Every once in a while though I do have some bucks roll through but not as consistent as I would think for the amount of does that are back there some years.

07-Nov-23
“Was just wondering if you guys enjoyed watching the home grown and did your killing away from home and family.”

I guess I don’t see a conflict between watching and keeping the numbers in check. After all, the season doesn’t run year ‘round….But I definitely hear you about doing the deed out of sight of the Missus ;) (Longbeard can vouch for my wife’s credentials as a Gentle Soul….)

JMO, the difference between Yard Deer and Wilderness Deer is that Wilderness Deer get HUNTED. They only act like pets because they’ve been TREATED like pets. If you hunt them, they’ll figure it out….

08-Nov-23
No issues with that at all Brian. And you can have the best of both worlds. Grow them until they’ve reached an eligibility threshold that you set, then try to take out only the ones that meet that standard. Have fun ??

08-Nov-23
Haven't seen one in the yard since I posted, lol. They must have gotten a bad vibe.

08-Nov-23
That’ll l’arn ye!!

I’m with longbeard — may as well enjoy it. I sure would if I had the option.

10-Nov-23
I have to drive 40-60 min to hunt. Yard is not even a 1/4 acre…. So jealous of you guys who have the opportunity, even if you only use it to observe behavior.

Brian - I would reconsider that location…The sliding door might allow you to watch football simultaneously

11-Nov-23
Tried for a yard deer in my climber, of course nothing showed.

11-Nov-23
First time post, just found this site. Having just moved here, I figured I’d put my four acres outside of town to good use late in the season after I got skunked on public land all season. They show up like clockwork most days, all does, so one morning I dropped two and they both went down in different yards. Spoke to six neighbors that morning asking to cross yards and track them down, three were pretty nice or indifferent towards me, the other three were absolutely irate to the point I thought someone was going to get called. Still worth the meat.

11-Nov-23
next time go in regular clothes and just say you hight a deer and didnt want to go to waste. they will think you hit it with your car.

• Sitka Gear