soapdish 17-Nov-23
nehunter 18-Nov-23
Rackem 21-Nov-23
air leak 23-Nov-23
Dr. Deer 26-Nov-23
13-Nov-23

soapdish's embedded Photo
My son got his first deer with a bow hunting by himself this morning. He said when the arrow hit, she knew something happened and started walking away and dropped 40 yards later

13-Nov-23
Great, nice shot.

13-Nov-23
Congratulations to your son and to you. That looks like a heart shot to me.

13-Nov-23
Nicely done. Congrats.

13-Nov-23
congratulations!!!

13-Nov-23
Congrats! Nice shot placement too

13-Nov-23
Congrats!

13-Nov-23
Congatulations, very nice shot placement.

13-Nov-23
Hell yea enjoy those tenderloins!!

13-Nov-23
It was a double lung, no heart and no ribs fractured. I've heard of stories about deer that get shot and act like nothing happened. Maybe threading the ribs is why they react that way. Thank you

13-Nov-23
It was a double lung, no heart and no ribs fractured. I've heard of stories about deer that get shot and act like nothing happened. Maybe threading the ribs is why they react that way. Thank you

13-Nov-23

13-Nov-23
Sorry about the triple response. My phone has been acting up lol

13-Nov-23
Congrats Soap! Great memories! I remember when my son got his first. Awesome!

13-Nov-23
Congratulations, he made a very nice shot.

13-Nov-23
Congrats awesome shot!

13-Nov-23
Congrats to Master and student!!! Love when they just stand there and look around

13-Nov-23
congrats! still remember taking my first with my dad! feels like yesterday.

13-Nov-23
A proud Dad moment.

14-Nov-23
Congrats, nice!!

14-Nov-23
Nice job.

14-Nov-23
Awesome! Congratulations to you and your son

16-Nov-23

So my older son got his first deer with a bow.... this original post. He shot it out of my younger son's stand, so we call it. He saw a big body buck out of range with a bow....but scored the doe. This morning my younger son and I go walking in just about legal light. As we get to the lower 2 hayfields we bump a deer in the woods next to us, good sign. I start to set up my chair under a small barn to cover the middle field as my son walk to the lower field. I always told them to walk slowly and scan the field prior to entering.... maybe get a shot. Well, as I was setting up, I look over and I see him sighting in like he's going to shoot...bang....I look at my phone and it's 611....buck was trailing a doe. He never made it to his stand lol...159.6 pounds that my older son nicknamed moose. Little ball busting going on in the house. Good times

16-Nov-23
Congratulations to both of you. He made a lifelong memory!

16-Nov-23
Ty.... there's actually a bit more to the story which makes it even more memorable and funny....it was one of those crazy mornings

16-Nov-23
Good times eh bud..congrats

16-Nov-23
Fantastic! I will never forget when my now 23 year old son killed his first deer in KY @ 13 yrs old. Incredible memories that we can share forever. I miss those days of sitting in the same stand. Long gone but great memories. Enjoy.

16-Nov-23
It is amazing how much goes into becoming successful at hunting. Part of today's lesson was following a blood trail. 40 yards to a deer that we can see lol ..for myself it was a walk in the park.... field dressing and bringing it to the butcher, although my kids, now young adults, are pretty competent and willing at butchering

17-Nov-23
Congrats to father and sons.

17-Nov-23
Great day! Congrats

17-Nov-23
Congrats!

17-Nov-23
Perfect shot on that doe — pretty sure a heart-shot would have done the dash….

“Maybe threading the ribs is why they react that way.”

Definitely less painful to NOT have ribs broken… ;)

TONS of stories out there of clean pass-throughs with COC heads where animals had no clue, or reacted line a bad bite from a horsefly… If you’ve ever cut yourself on something so sharp that you never felt it, you’ll understand why…

And the no-run reaction…. That’s one thing I expect mechanical users will never see — those things are too wide to slip between ribs without breaking at least one, so they must deliver quite a Thump…..

Well done all around!

17-Nov-23
Last bit ..you should see the smile on their faces as they load the freezer. Level of self accomplishment and who they will share the bounty with.

18-Nov-23
Great memories! I miss those days

21-Nov-23
Great stuff soap...memories forever!

23-Nov-23
Congratulation on your first deer! Excellent shot, well done.

26-Nov-23
Corax, hunters who have fallen on their equipment and been impaled by their own arrow often report that they didn't know it right away. Often not until they see the blood. I have treated trauma patients (stabbings) and most say they thought they got punched, but it turned out they were stabbed. On poor fellow on Coney Island just "felt his leg go out" when he was shot by a .22 through the penis and into the thigh. So yeah, often deer have no idea what happened when they were shot. But like anything, not always.

n

Congrats to the first timers. You never forget your first. All the firsts: gun, longbow, recurve, compound and so on. Even if you get 100 deer or more, those are the most memorable ones.

• Sitka Gear