Corax_latrans 30-Nov-23
21-Nov-23

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Yep, 23* when I left my house this morning (truck said 21*). I knew where I was going, but wasn't sure if I should use my ladder stand or bring in my climber. I decided on the ladder, quieter to get in and wasn't sure if there was a perfect tree for the climber in the corner of two fields. Climbed in at 0545 and watched the woods wake up around me.

0700 I heard some walking behind me, but there was a couple squirrels chasing each other. But, a slow walking doe had gotten around me and was walking towards the bedding area a few hundred yards behind me. Just 15 minutes later, more crunching in the leaves and 75 yards away to the NE, three does were browsing. Then another doe at the edge of field to the East. Was looking good for at least one of them to walk in front of me. After waiting forever, half hour anyway, the three slowly made their way to me. Two big does and a fawn. I think it's the three that I passed on a few weeks back because the fawn was so small. Mom and auntie were targets today.

Pretty sure it was auntie that finally came within 20. Then 15, then 10. As she walked broadside behind a tree I drew my recurve, and when she came out from behind it broadside, I released. Hit was pretty good center chest, but didn't realize she was slightly quartering to. She didn't know what happened and only trotted 10-15 yards, stood there and looked around. She walked into the second field, then her tail started twirling. I knew she was terminal. She laid down at 25 yards, not fell down. That told me I hit liver, maybe gut. 20 seconds later she got up, bounded twice and dropped back down. Now I could see the weeds shaking, she was kicking. A few gurgled sounds later she was still.

The other three does stuck around for half an hour or so before finally walking off. Great day to be in the woods. Both my phone and my camera died, so the pics aren't great, cut my own head off. lol.

21-Nov-23

And this is how I get big deer into my truck. 4x4 with an old boat winch laid across the ladders. Gambrel the legs and lift her up. Drop tailgate, slide her in. Saves the back.

21-Nov-23
Way to get it done! That’s a big doe.

21-Nov-23
Congratulations, I liked the story too.

21-Nov-23
Just awesome bud! Congrats and quite an accomplishment! I heard you were shaking like a leaf with excitement ;)

21-Nov-23
Congrats Brian!! Fresh back straps with asparagus tonight!!

21-Nov-23
congratulations!!

21-Nov-23
Nice job Brian. No worry about seeing face in picture- rather see the deer - lol

21-Nov-23
Well done Brian, congrats!!

21-Nov-23
great story congrats

21-Nov-23
Congrats - and love that loading method!

21-Nov-23
Blood, it's not easy texting with a flip phone while shaking like an epileptic.

21-Nov-23
You can see the exit between bow and string. Arrow took out right lung, fileted the liver and zipped the paunch.

21-Nov-23
And Jon....just no.

21-Nov-23
Lotta fine eating there! Congrats

21-Nov-23
Great job!! Your killing it this Year

22-Nov-23
Nice job and great story to go with it.

22-Nov-23
nice trad bow kill

22-Nov-23
Congratulations Brian! You have way more patience than I do. Way to go.

23-Nov-23
Congratulations, that's a good eating size.

28-Nov-23
I am most impressed with your improvised hoist. Improvisation skills are the hunters' friend.

28-Nov-23
Thanks. I'm getting to old to be throwing heavy, floppy critters into the truck.

28-Nov-23
Nice job Brian.

29-Nov-23
Brian, clever rig

30-Nov-23
Beauty. Nice read on your hit, too.

• Sitka Gear