be still 22-Dec-23
crestedbutte 23-Dec-23
crestedbutte 24-Dec-23
Ksgobbler 24-Dec-23
Bwhnt 24-Dec-23
08-Dec-23

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Got a new visitor cruising through the area in front of my River stand. Hope to see him during tomorrow’s bow hunt!

09-Dec-23
12/9 AM bow hunt:

6:30AM and settled in the tree. Pretty brisk N-NW wind. Facing right into the teeth of it. Gonna have watery eyes all day. Sunrise is just peeking over the hills and thru the broken clouds. Tree I am in has a little sway in it. Will see if any gun shots ring out today. Last weekend for gun hunters….YEAH!

09-Dec-23
Good luck and hope you don't have to dodge any stray bullets.

I just cannot get motivated and excited about donning the orange and going out during firearms this year. I plan on hunting the road hunters tomorrow with my cameras, every year the scavengers are out trying to fill the tags on the final day however they can.

09-Dec-23
12/9 12:10 PM …back at the Jeep. Randy thx…hope your “hunting” this weekend is productive! Appreciate you looking out for others and our wildlife from those poaching slobs.

Man that wind this AM was BRUTAL!!! Got real bad from 9am and on. Heard (2) rifle shots this AM. The first at 7:30 and the second at 7:40. Both were in the same general direction and vicinity and sound like they were about a 1/2 mile away and not on or near the property I was hunting. Figured the shooting would have been a little heavier this AM due to it being the last weekend of gun season.

At 8am, had a good 11ptr. with broken right brow come in 5 min. after I had rattled. He came in real slow and quite to the nearby fence line (30 yds away) that is slightly uphill and behind my left shoulder. He stood there for about 3 min. looking for the 2 bucks that had been fighting. I did some soft grunts and a snort wheeze and he would lift his head or turn and look. He just never would commit to jumping the fence to my side.

Eventually, he just wandered on back from where he came from. I took video of him while he was standing at the fence but I was holding the bow too low and the video isn't any good. My bad ;?)

He wasn’t a shooter today (and some might debate me on that)….but definitely a shooter on 12/31.

09-Dec-23
Save me an old one for the last day:?)

In fact that deer above might just work for me. In your area that’s probably a good size body and his tarsal glands are plenty dark. As far as horns go if there’s another tine I’m not seeing on his right side and if that’s a split on his left G2 then this one right here just might making me happy.

09-Dec-23
Be Still….I got a few old ones! Just hoping I can be in the stand when one comes by instead of pulling a trail cam card and seeing they came by while at work, etc.

This buck looks like he still has plenty of weight on him….not too run down by the rut. Not sure on what all he has or doesn’t have as that is the best and only trail cam pic I have of him. I think that particular camera might be on the fritz as most photos from it are slightly fuzzy and partially out of focus.

Gonna hunt all-day tomorrow and have a little church from the deer stand too!

10-Dec-23
12/10 AM bow hunt:

6:38 AM and settled in the tree. At the moment, no wind to speak of. What an incredible nice cold morning!!! Prior to light breaking and while walking into the timber to my stand I bumped something out of its bed and it just trotted the other direction away from me. Pretty sure by the sound it was a deer. It didn’t snort or anything so that is good. It was bedded about 30-40 yds from my stand.

Like yesterday, will count the gun shots that ring out today. Last weekend for gun hunters….can I get an AMEN!!!!!

10-Dec-23
Hell ya!

10-Dec-23
That’s right brotha…preach it!!

10-Dec-23
For a few weeks anyhow, hope you get to release on one today.

10-Dec-23
You alright…don’t tell me you fell asleep in church?

10-Dec-23
For the last weekend, it's surprisingly quiet around here, only two brought into the shop saturday and no calls yet today.

10-Dec-23

Nervous “Nellie”
Nervous “Nellie”
So nervous bout to jump out of my skin?
So nervous bout to jump out of my skin?
Incredible morning!!!! Sat the Middle stand this AM. Had a real young upper 140 class 8 bumping 2 does up the draw. When I first saw him far away down the draw, all I could see was his horns. That got me up out of the seat! Too young to even think about taking him out. If he can put on a few more years and points he will be a Rock Star!

Right out of the gate @ 7:30 this nervous guy (all by himself) came by. At first he paced back and forth along the fenceline that leads to the generational fence crossing. With every 6-8 steps he took he put his nose in the air scent checking for the likes of me! Being Dec. now, my leaf cover is a lot thinner in this tree so I am a little more exposed/sky lined than I was in Nov.

He looked my direction intently many times while he paced that fence line trying to decide where to cross. He then made his way to the corner, where the generational crossing is located and stood there nervously scent checking and looking at me for over 4 minutes. Eventually he turned around and walked down the fence away from the crossing and just jumped over it into the meadow in front of me. Perfect!!!

Pics of him at 35 yds……..videos to come later when I can download.

10-Dec-23
Stud of an 8 point! There's 2 I saw this year that could have been his twin.

10-Dec-23
Sounding good!

10-Dec-23
Man that’s a big deer!

10-Dec-23
He sure is wide, good looking deer.

10-Dec-23
How old are you thinking he is….very nice frame!

11-Dec-23
That's no youngster, very nice deer

11-Dec-23
That's one wide deer!

11-Dec-23
I'm no good at judging age on the hoof, but he sure is a pretty deer! I hope you get to see him in the future and he's added what you're looking for in antlers. Sounds like a great encounter either way.

13-Dec-23
Here is the encounter with the Big Wide 8 from 12/10 AM bow hunt in post above. The total encounter was almost 16 minutes long.....so I had to edit/ breakdown the video in shorter segments. He was a wary and cautious mature buck that couldn't make up his mind on the route he wanted to take to get around me. I firmly believe he knew or sensed I was there but just couldn't confirm it by getting a smell of me (as much as he might of tried...I mean count how many times he scent checks for me)!!!

Can't blame him for being on edge. It was too quiet that morning and the recent 1.5 weeks of rifle season that he had endured and survived to that point surely had something to do with his cautious and calculated movements.

There were a few rifle shots off in the distance that morning between 8-9am and only 1 sounded close by.....like somewhere over on the neighbors place.

14-Dec-23
Ar first I thought it was the buck from Nov 9th, but no. He went away, but you said he came to the meadow in front of you? Those old guys are smart...well some of them ;?)

14-Dec-23

Big 8 from 11/9/2023
Big 8 from 11/9/2023
Big 8 from 12/10/2023
Big 8 from 12/10/2023
Kyle….right on! Yes, these are 2 different Big 8’s. For comparison sake, I have included a frontal pic of each.

The first pic is the Big 8 from the 11/9 hunt that I passed on that came right under me. Don’t know if he is still alive or not? Hope so, but if not I hope he was killed by a “hunter” and was thrilled to get him!

The second pic. is the Big 8 from last weekend. His width and body size is what sets him apart from the 11/9 Big 8.

Yes, during this 16 min. encounter it appears this wide Big 8 is just hanging out in the open clearly exposed and to some degree he is….but within this very deep protected draw. The deer feel very safe traveling down in this deep protected draw. He could have been up top traveling in the wide open prairie above and would have certainly been easily picked off by any number of rifle hunters in the area if using that means of travel.

As you can see in the videos he was wary of every noise and has a sense that I am there and by taking the route thru the meadow he does actually skirt me while looking like he could jump out of his skin at any moment. Even though he skirts me he does so at 35-40 yds……

14-Dec-23
Umm Crested this last 8 looks pretty dang old to me. I know your waiting on something bigger but if got down to the last few days I’m thinking I might would shoot that one. His width is something to look at.

15-Dec-23
Cat....you're right he was indeed a gorgeous specimen!

KSRancher....I am usually pretty good at judging width but once they get outside 18+" I get a little stumped?

Randy....not a youngster for sure. Wish there were more out there with his age!

Be Still....my guess is 4 yr. old max. He could also very well be a 3 yr. old with great genetics going for him. Unfortunately, I don't have any history with him. What's your guess on his age?

Quailhunter...."man that's a big deer."....my exact words too when I saw him come up to the fence line and more so when he jumped over it and came closer and closer.

Bwhntr....seems like the hunting sure is getting better. Looking forward to the hunting between now and Dec. 31....especially when some of those does that didn't get bred in November come back into estrous. They will have every buck in the area trailing them. I love hunting the 2nd rut!

Thornton.....I'd sure like to see those 2 that you saw that are like him. They sure get the blood pumping!

Well, here is the video of that wide Big 8 skirting me at 35-40 yds @ 7:30 on 12/10 (best to fast forward to the 30 sec. mark to get passed the novice trying to video this buck) ......and yes I gave him a big ole PASS too just like the other Big 8 from the 11/9 hunt above.

I am almost 100% sure this buck made it thru the 2023 KS rifle season as the only shots that I heard that entire last day of rifle season occurred between 8-9 am just after he had come thru this draw and all those shots came from the direction he had come from (including the one that sounded like it had come from the neighbor's place nearby) and not the direction he was going. Didn't hear a single gun shot that entire last evening of rifle season for miles in all directions.....Yipppeee!!!!

So, what say you......was I CRAZY for passing on this wide mature 8? Come'on give it to me...I can take it and probably likely deserve it, LOL!

15-Dec-23
If he was really jumpy at 35 or 40 yds it might have been tough get the arrow where you wanted. He probably would have reacted to some degree and we all know what happens then.

15-Dec-23
You’re asking the wrong person for guessing his age but he ain’t 3. I would lay quite a bit on the line saying he’s 5 plus.

I’m with Bwhnt on that might might have been a risky shot but if this deer gives you a decent shot next time yea I think you’d be crazy for not taking him out.

Look at this way….you like 10’s or better. The longer you let this beast breed the more 8’s you might get…I bet he’s the daddy of them other 8’s there.. This old bad boy is probably whooping up on all the other little 10’s and 12’s around there. I say take this one out and let the nicer deer live so that wonderful place you got there gets even more wonderfulnesssss.

I could be wrong on this one too but your hope of him growing a few kickers or more points next year I will guess won’t happen. His horns look pretty smooth and next near he might not be that much bigger…maybe even could start taking a downward turn. Them Ribeyes ain’t going to last forever either…bet he has some nice fat and thick back straps on him:?)

15-Dec-23
Both of you gentlemen above make some very valid points! I will say this, had I made the decision to take him I would have already been drawn back while that big portion of tree trunk was between me and him right before he comes back into view to cross that dry creek bed out front....and would have just been holding, holding, holding.....

However, I will admit that the whole time I was videoing him it was running through my mind that as quiet as it was and as jumpy/cautious as he was....that if I was to shoot him I would have certainly aimed low as I have no doubt he would have been a "string jumper." Most likely I would have waited to send that arrow down range in those last few seconds of the video after he passes that dead cedar giving me a slighting quartering away shot.

Sorry Be Still.....if I see him on 12/31 he will get another PASS. Will just save him for you next year! Believe me, I know there has got to be something wrong with me....I guess 8's just don't trip my trigger. Is there a Deer Dr.?

15-Dec-23
I knew there something a little wrong with you the first day I met you. Got it figured out…your neurons ain’t firing right. Pretty sure they have gotten CRUSTED over. You might want to take some of them out of that brain of yours and rub the corrosion off and stick em back in. That should just about fix ya up.

15-Dec-23
Damn, some NICE looking backstraps walking by.

15-Dec-23
Good to know you guys GET me, LOL!!!

15-Dec-23
You must have forgot to change the tighty whiteys that day, you stunk and he was winding you. :)

15-Dec-23
I can kind of see why you wouldn't want to shoot him. Probably wouldn't go over 145" tops. Do you think he is 3.5 or 4.5 years old?

16-Dec-23
Brian…for sure backstrap for days on him !

Yeah Randy….I had that old boy working that sniffer for real didn’t I, LOL!

Jason…..can’t say that I disagree with you one bit. In my heart I think he was just a big bodied 3.5 yrs….but that is purely a hunch on my part as I have no history to prove otherwise. In post above, Be Still thinks he is 5+ yrs old and he may well be right. I wouldn’t disagree with anyone that thinks he is north of 3.5 yrs. Nice specimen and glad I had the encounter with him! Now if he could just transfer some of that body into his antlers then he would trip my trigger!

16-Dec-23
12/10 PM bow hunt (last hooray for the gun hunters) and wind was SW:

2:00 PM and settled in a new spot I hadn't hunted yet this year. I call it the Sycamore Grove stand and it is located in a timbered creek oxbow with creek and cut bean field to my south and a cut beanfield to my north. The stand faces west and has 2 primary deer trails running through it. One deer trail is on my left and parallels the creek and the other is on my right and parallels the cut bean field to my north. With a SW wind, my scent cone was blowing over my right shoulder behind me toward that SE corner of the cut bean field north of me.

At around 4pm, there were 4 different clusters of deer groups (with atleast 10 deer in each group) chowing down in the cut bean field to my north. Bucks didn't show up until 5pm. I rattled and called fairly aggressively from about 4:45-5:30. Near dark, I had a nice buck with alot of trash points come across the beanfield and stop at the field edge just north of my location but he wouldn't commit to coming on into the Sycamore Grove.

That was it for the very last evening of the KS 2023 gun season. Didn't hear a single shot ring out that entire evening hunt, weird? There is a sentimental feller here on Bowsite that likes KS sunsets. Figured he would enjoy seeing this killer one....as it lasted a good long while too!

(See next post for 12/10 PM hunt pics and videos)

16-Dec-23

Sycamore Grove stand loc’n.
Sycamore Grove stand loc’n.
Oh well, Bowsite being Bowsite
Oh well, Bowsite being Bowsite
Views from the stand:

Sunset 1 (best viewed in full screen mode):

Sunset 2 (best viewed in full screen mode):

16-Dec-23
12/16 AM bow hunt: TBD

16-Dec-23
Does that mean it's a sunrise now?

16-Dec-23
12/16 AM bow hunt 7AM. Phone is going onto the bow holder. Wet and quiet! Stay tuned!

16-Dec-23
Chootem Crested chootem…

16-Dec-23
12/16 AM bow hunt re-cap:

Stand: Ladder Stand along the edge of the timbered creek and prairie.

7:30AM: I saw 2 does way off across out in the middle of the prairie (skylined) and just browsing away from me to my east. A couple minutes later, 2 bucks came along following slowly behind the does. With bino’s one buck was an avg. 8-9 ptr but the other was a dandy heavy 10+. Hard to get an exact count of points but hoping to do just that tonight. They were all headed in the direction of my South Draw stand….which is where I will be this PM in hopes of meeting up with that bigger buck.

8AM: Heard a twig snap over my right shoulder and could see 2 deer coming down the trail. Both turned out to be bucks…a young 10ptr with a big forkhorn following behind. They headed on down into the creek bottom timber unaware I was there.

9AM: 8 does come into the timber below me from the cut bean field behind me and to my west. They just meandered thru the timber eating acorns until out of sight. No bucks trailing or dogging them.

I will say this, the waterfowl/goose hunters were KILL’IN it this AM. Almost non-stop shooting in all sorts of directions from right after sunrise to atleast 9AM.

16-Dec-23
Good luck this evening on the big heavy 10+ or any other one that trips your trigger.

16-Dec-23
Good luck this evening on the big heavy 10+ or any other one that trips your trigger.

16-Dec-23
Glad to see you’re seeing quite a bit of activity, and some decent ones at that. Good luck.

16-Dec-23
12/16 PM bow hunt re-cap:

Stand: South Draw...a remote thin timbered seasonal creek way, way back in the prairie.

4:15 PM: Well as I expected, the 2 bucks I had seen this morning did actually make it back here to bed for the day. They were up on their feet at around 4. Only thing is, the big one in this video was not the big one I saw....he looked like the smaller one that was with a bigger one?

4:25 PM: Oh...here comes the big one seen this AM bringing up the rear. Guess those 2 from this morning picked up a smaller/younger buddy. I wasn't able to change his direction and come my way, darn it!

All in all, a great day of hunting and the deer were moving. The highlight of the day was getting "free" permission to hunt an add'l. 500 acres nearby. Not sure if I will do a hunt from the new property this year or not? If not, then definitely will next year!

17-Dec-23
That last one looks like a solid deer with heavy mass from that clip. Shooter?

17-Dec-23
Bwhnt…..yes shooter!

17-Dec-23
After hunting my South Draw stand, I pulled the card from a nearby camera. Had a good'un coming thru in early Dec.

Yippppeeeee! He made it thru gun season!

18-Dec-23
Some on here (including myself) use "Weather Underground" to get their daily hunting weather forecasts which is a great tool to keep in your deer hunting tool bag. There is an aspect of it that I have used religiously for years now (Wind Direction Map). So, of my many tree stands that I hunt in, I inherently know which ones to sit when given a particular wind direction.

However, “between’er” winds as I call them can sometimes be a challenge. For example, I have a timbered bottom running thru a draw that if someone looked at it on a map would say it lays out in a east-west orientation. However, it actually lays out in a slight NW-SE orientation. Therefore, earlier this Nov. we had alot of S-SE or N-NE winds. So, in instances like that I will que up the wind direction map to get a good visual of how much north, south, east or west wind there is in these "between'er" winds. In the example mentioned above, I don't sit that specific stand when a S-SE wind is forecasted as it will blow my scent directly down thru the truly NW-SE oriented timbered draw. Attached is a pic. of what the “Weather Underground” icon looks like when saved to your phones home screen and the link to the website if you want to save it to your phone too.

Also, attached is a pic. and video of a hypothetical set-up scenario that factors in the use of the “Weather Underground” wind direction map. Say, I am hunting from this lone tree (see yellow "X") and the deer are known to travel from the west-to-east in the AM along the fence line on their way back to bed in the prairie for the day (see dashed red arrow). As you can see from the video, that particular day there is a S-SE wind forecasted with alot more "east" in it than south. If you sat this stand in the AM that day as the deer traveled along the fence line west-to-east, they would catch your wind long before they were in range for a shot with a bow.

Anyway, just letting you know about this overlooked tool buried somewhat deep in the "Weather Underground" tool chest and how it can help you better visualize "between'er" wind conditions for your set-up and hopefully help reduce stand burnout or heaven forbid cost you a shot at that big buck that you might only get one good chance at per season. Good Luck to those of us still holding that coveted KS tag!

18-Dec-23

18-Dec-23

crestedbutte's Link
Weather Underground interactive weather map link provided.

19-Dec-23

Weather Underground Logo when saved to your phones home screen.

20-Dec-23

20-Dec-23

My view from the ground tonight
My view from the ground tonight
Fresh rub near where I bumped the bedded buck
Fresh rub near where I bumped the bedded buck
Fresh rub about 25' away from the other smaller one and near where I bumped the bedded buck while hiking in. Bow pictured for scale
Fresh rub about 25' away from the other smaller one and near where I bumped the bedded buck while hiking in. Bow pictured for scale
12/20 3PM PM bow hunt. Wind is NE (see blue arrows)

Change of scenery from my typical hunts. I am up here in NW KS on business the next few days so tonight hunting on the ground on property I have never hunted before. Tucked in under a cedar on a side hill slope overlooking a creek from nearby pond drainage. Got a trail and fence crossing on other side of creek that is not within bow range (see orange arrow) but if something is over there hopefully, I can call them over to my side hill. Got a trail just out in front and below me (see purple arrow). That is hopefully the trail they meander down tonight for what should be a 20-30yd shot. Also got a trail right behind me at maybe 15 yds away but only one good opening in this cedar to poke one there from here.

While walking in, I bumped a big 10+ ptr. that was bedded up along the rim rock above me (see yellow circle). He ran down the trail that is now behind me and jumped the neighbor's fence to the west where the pond is. If the pic from my location doesn’t load to this post, I will try again later tonight when in the nearby city. Going to settle in now and see what I can make happen!

Update: The only deer seen tonight was the bedded buck that I bumped which ran west over the neighbor's fence toward the pond. No gun shots heard tonight, LOL!

20-Dec-23
So is this a one and done at this spot? Was the buck old enough to try for?

20-Dec-23
Lol those 2 rubs look really familiar…like I’ve seen them before. Good luck in the morning!

20-Dec-23
I do believe this buck I bumped would have been a candidate to harvest. Would have liked to have seen his right side. If it looks like his left side, then I am pretty certain I would attempt to take him. However, yes.....I think one and done in that particular spot that I hunted tonight. With only a few days to hunt up here and thus limited opportunities.....I am trying to spread myself out and cover different areas in order to learn this place and get some recon. while I do it.

I will be hunting in the AM (for a short AM hunt prior to a late AM meeting) at a different spot. Then tomorrow PM, I will likely be at a different spot as well. If I hunt Fri., it will be an AM hunt only and then on with my return trip home.

21-Dec-23

12/21 AM bow hunt from NW KS. Wind is pretty much straight out of the north however, not much to it. Soupy, drizzly and foggy here today.

Got in here at 6:30 this AM….which was way too early. With it being overcast, foggy, and drizzly, it didn’t break light till almost 7:30. So, needless to say, I was in here and set up plenty early.

I have a 10:45 meeting about an hour away so this is going to be a short hunt. I’ll have to be back at the Jeep and leaving the gate at 9:30 which I am not too thrilled about doing.

I’m set up on the ground tucked in under a big cedar on the south hillside of an east west draw with good views to the north. There’s a deer trail out front at 15 to 20 yards and a 1/2 full pond with water nearby.

Appears to be perfect conditions for deer to move all day long. We shall see if they are at least moving the first few hours of light?

21-Dec-23
No deer seen from today’s a.m. hunt. Not seeing much for deer back in these canyons and draws, so tonight I’m gonna sit near a food source and see what happens.

21-Dec-23
Hopefully something wanders by. Good luck

21-Dec-23

My spot tonight. Been here on the ground since 3pm. Overcast and drizzly. Hoping to catch deer moving up out of the canyons and draws on my east and intercept them as they come out to the AG. I feel a little exposed here but tucked in against some big timber fence posts and grabbed some tumbleweeds and stacked them around me as a make shift blind. Let’s GO…..get some!

21-Dec-23
Nada…nothing tonight. Heading down I-70 back home at the moment.

That NW KS country looks like it should hold a lot more deer than what I saw over the last couple of days. I mean heck, you can see forever in every direction. The area just seemed void of any large population of deer or small population of deer for that matter and it was some incredibly remote country that I was in. Guess the majority of deer that are there are nocturnal otherwise, I would’ve seen some with all the glassing I did.

Definitely way fewer deer than where I normally hunt. After they ban baiting…maybe they should close deer season up there for a few years, LOL. ;?)

21-Dec-23
Get you some of that NC/NW Kansas country.

Naw just messing with ya…it has been dropping on numbers it seems the last couple years up there though. That particular place seemed to be the best one last year on numbers and age structure of bucks. This year couldn’t figure out if there was a lot of deer died or moved to another place. The few deer that was on there this year though was definitely not on their feet for the most part. Had a few days there they seemed to move pretty good but for the most part had to try and catch them in their bed.

Wished you would’ve gave it another shot in the morning but I understand if you had to get back. Don’t give up on the place though…it’s pretty decent for that area up there. Safe travels back.

21-Dec-23
Nada has gotten pretty common in unit 8 as well, it didnt use to be this way. You think a bait ban is actually going to happen? I’d like to think so but I have my doubts. You still got time, hope you find the one, you’ve had some great encounters regardless.

22-Dec-23

Be Still….there is no doubt it’s one of the best pieces of property for miles around. Could be that the few known outfitter’s nearby are holding the majority of the deer in their areas this year? Figure they don’t have many “clients” this time of year, so I would think the feeders aren’t going full bore unless they were so jamb packed in Nov. that they are still emptying out?

Jared…thank you for the kind words of encouragement! You’re right there is still some time but it’s waning fast….but that ole FAT LADY “KAREN” hasn’t started warming up yet! She started “warming up” on me last year and I had to shut her pie hole! This is my last package of her. Saving it for Dec. 31st, LOL! Definitely more hunts to come!

Also…..I 100% believe the bait ban will happen. It is the right thing for KS wildlife, environments and sportsmen/women.

22-Dec-23
Be Still, they will still have the feeders going full bore, the greed of some of these people that want every deer for 5 mile radius to come to their corn and stay there and then bitch that they have doe problems. I am sure we still have good deer numbers around here we saw the normal numbers till about mid November then they left and stayed at the area with all the corn piles and feeders. To watch the deer leave great habitat that always holds deer leave and go to the corn is just sickening and needs to change!

22-Dec-23
Yes I agree Daniel this needs to change in a hurry. I used to know a guy that before he left Kansas he would dump a huge pile of corn so during gun season the deer would stay on his place. Kindly told him one day he was probably doing a lot more harm than good. You know that corn was getting moldy and rotten before it got ate up not to mention like you said messing with the deer’s normal routine.

I haven’t been doing much during deer season here about it but I’m about to start sending letters and making phone call to see if there’s anything I can do. I still think if enough of us will band together the ban will happen. KPWD should ban it without our help but sadly there’s a lot of people not looking towards the future that’s putting pressure on them.

22-Dec-23

Rawhide for Chet
Rawhide for Chet
Interesting….when I was on the road heading to that AG field during last nights NW KS hunt, I saw this in the road about an 1/8th of a mile from the field…..a hardened reddish-brown cowhide. Now that is weird…or is it?

Thought about picking it up for Chet….who was named after this guy from “Weird Science.” Now that stanky/nasty thing would have been a rawhide of all rawhides, LOL!

22-Dec-23
NW kS has been on a major deer decline for quite a few years.

22-Dec-23

be still's embedded Photo
be still's embedded Photo
Hmmm that’s interesting. I just looked on the aerial map and that would be roughly around 4 and half miles from where I put this one down. Could it possibly be that a coyote had used that as a chew toy and had carried it that far. If so could it also possibly be too that very piece of hide was off the spot that was covering some of those rib eyes you’re gnawing on:?)

23-Dec-23
HA, HA!!!! I fully believe a yote or family of yotes did indeed carry a that little a piece of him that far. Looked to be a portion from the lower body. My ribeyes came from a higher much “better” portion.

24-Dec-23

NW KS snow geese….just about as far as the eye could see! A gazzilion of these things…..anybody hunting these birds?

24-Dec-23
Ive got 60+ doz snow goose decoys. I used to hunt them alot. Now every feed has multiple outfitters circling it willing to pay 50-100/ gun to hunt it. So I havent hunted them in a couple years.

24-Dec-23
Go get a Christmas goose!!

• Sitka Gear