Lunker 02-Feb-24
Mhg825 02-Feb-24
Cougar 02-Feb-24
Lunker 02-Feb-24
Big Dog 02-Feb-24
Cougar 02-Feb-24
Big Dog 02-Feb-24
08-Jan-24
Not that we got much down here in Berkley but was wondering what you guys thought about scouting with snow on the ground. I usually don’t like scouting with snow on the ground because I feel like I get distracted by following fresh tracks that I don’t feel relate to the fall sign. I like this time of year with no snow so you can see those beaten down fall runs. Am I missing opportunities with the snow on the ground?

09-Jan-24
I have a friend who’s been hunting the same patch of woods for 15 years. I was just talking to him about this and he swears by scouting in January with fresh snow. He said it’s absolutely helped him figure out their main runs and bedding areas. And given his success year after year I believe him and will be doing the same this winter.

09-Jan-24
Good if you can correlate with runs used in the fall.

09-Jan-24
I have already gone out to one of my spots twice since snowing the other and just walked around to get more intel on late season movement... I always learn something and it has helped me seal the deal several times over the years in this spot.

09-Jan-24
Scouting in the snow is where it's at! I turn on my tracker and follow tracks for miles whenever there is snow on the ground. By the end of the winter you have a big map of their travel routes. I'm headed out to do that right now before the rain melts everything away.

09-Jan-24
Its very helpful unless your in areas where the deer yard up heavily... so in mass I'd say, go for it!

09-Jan-24
That’s a great idea huntski! I’ll have to remember that one.

10-Jan-24
I went for a 4 mile snowshoe yesterday afternoon before the rain came. Tons of sign. Didn't learn much more than I already know about this particular spot, but did find a couple of other people's stands which is good to know.

10-Jan-24
Well don’t have to worry about this anymore. Back to green grass in my yard.

11-Jan-24
We've lost 90% of our snow as well here.

11-Jan-24
I also would add that snow can lead other people I to ur good spots if they see ur boot prints... just food for thought depending on ur situation...

14-Jan-24

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
Big buck track... doe on left

14-Jan-24
Good one regardless that’s it bit melted out

28-Jan-24

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo
Guess I'm scouting today and not shed hunting lol

28-Jan-24
Keep following him.

28-Jan-24
Must have had decent nutrition this year to still be carrying there horns

28-Jan-24
Must have had decent nutrition this year to still be carrying there horns

01-Feb-24

Cougar's embedded Photo
Cougar's embedded Photo

01-Feb-24
Nice rub Cougar.

01-Feb-24
Snow scouting is far more beneficial in suburban areas than it is real big woods areas. But that being said, I asked this same question at a seminar at Huntstock last summer and a guy told me that even figuring out where the deer are in the winter can help you add some pieces to the puzzle for the fall. He gave an example of if you dont know where big bucks are living 100% of the year, then finding where they are in the winter could actually help you know where they are in the summer. It could just lead you to a new spot you never knew about. Maybe an overlooked spot with good cover. A spot that has something to offer them in the winter and in the fall. Maybe an area where a doe group lives and its actually a killer rut spot.

01-Feb-24
I’m finding some winter spots where they maybe go to just out of habit like next to a cut corn field. I bet they were there all fall.

01-Feb-24

Rooster,

Genetics, nutrition and Hormones. I'm thinking more and/or widely dispersed un-serviced does.

01-Feb-24
Yes probably several factors

01-Feb-24
I personally enjoy snow scouting I’ve gained a lot of knowledge on deer runs and often times will look for two or more runs crossing

01-Feb-24
I had a walk about today. It's a spot I've wanted to get into for years. Well today I broke the surface. Never have I seen so many boom piles(poops) everywhere. The place is alot bigger than it looked on my phone. Alot bigger. Lots of sign 1 stand was found. Good area. Which brings up a question. I've come across a few stands this year and not one had shooting lanes cut. Some people don't cut lanes but may b that's why so many deer are lost. Limbs twigs some can't b seen don't take much to send an arrow off its mark. I guess no question some do some don't.

01-Feb-24
I've never had much winter sign that was useful the following fall.

01-Feb-24
Lunker a lot of times heavy poop is bedding areas

01-Feb-24
Yes sir beds were found but the boom piles I speak of were all over the place. The point being is that it is a big parcel but with a ton of deer. And that's good.

01-Feb-24
Lots of deer is always good sounds like a great spot!

01-Feb-24
I rarely cut shooting lanes.i find undisturbed is better.

01-Feb-24
2 weeks after cutting is undisturbed no ?

01-Feb-24
Cut at the bottom and take it all away.

02-Feb-24
Mhg, undisturbed is ideal but the years have taught me no matter how perfect the access and stand placement........ "no lane, no shot"; so I cut in March and stay out until go time. I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing it. Eberhart runs a quick check in Sept and trims any new interfering growth . I don't because of tick paranoia .

02-Feb-24
I only use a few preset stands. Mostly set up in different trees , I just keep my shots close.

02-Feb-24
I’m with Pi on the “cut at the bottom” thing, when practical. Otherwise cut at the origin of the branch. I think this is proper tree-pruning technique. Maybe there’s an arborist on here who can verify or correct. Plus when you leave a two-foot-high stump when cutting a one-inch sapling, it just looks awful.

02-Feb-24
Also that two-foot-high stump is a huge flag that says “shooting lane.” Your honey hole is already three other guys’ honey hole too, and that can quickly turn into six if you leave enough markers.

02-Feb-24
For me cutting to the ground is only at estimated impact points. Everything else I go alittle past trajectory. That keeps it natural and promotes new growth. No landing strips

02-Feb-24
I will trim a little , but agree with lunker no landing strips

02-Feb-24
I like a nice landing strip, just no bushes eh

02-Feb-24
Coug your talkin apples to oranges. I prefer the clear cut.

02-Feb-24
In my limited experience in really thick cover where you're not sure where the buck will enter I cut two modest landing strips, one at an angle to give me a possible visual of him coming in and a second for the actual shot . Works less than half the time . But that's better than nothin'.

02-Feb-24
If its too thick and swampy ur arrow might get stuck in the mud by accident

02-Feb-24
Yeah ,never thought of that. It would be yucky.

• Sitka Gear