retro 17-Jan-24
CaptMike 17-Jan-24
Knifeman 17-Jan-24
Stringcheesehead 17-Jan-24
Knifeman 17-Jan-24
MjF 17-Jan-24
Bow Crazy 18-Jan-24
15-Jan-24
Last Friday changed the deer movement for me. The deer in my area had been mostly nocturnal. Friday’s snow and now the cold brought them out earlier in NE Wisconsin. Waiting for the right wind. Then I’ll see if I can put some red on white!!

15-Jan-24
Good luck Greg, I know your itching to go. I have not checked my camera behind the house since I can't hunt. I don't want to know.

15-Jan-24
I think if I was younger, I be out this week, when there is little wind. 19 this coming Friday, deer will move well mid day. Driving to dentist, late morning, saw 3 deer on ridge, sun out, no wind. The deep snow is physically tough on me. Luckily my doe, shot just before the cold front, I have a mud room, heated to cut her up. I also have young help, to take it in there for me. Called my snow plow guy, he came over with 2 buddies. They stayed for a few beers, ha ha.,

15-Jan-24
Will be hunting this weekend. Metro unit along lake Michigan. Less than 10 inches of snow there. Scratchings all over in the food plots. The cold weather will have them on their feet early on!! Fun time of the year.

16-Jan-24
The coldest I ever sat outside hunting was -22, I learned a great lesson, I had deer in front of me, using a Scott’s release it froze shut when I took it out of my pocket from the condensation.

16-Jan-24
Good luck Moose.

16-Jan-24
Oh man, I don't remember the temp off hand but I remember grabbing my bow without gloves and having to hold for what felt like an eternity while a couple does eyeballed me. The pain from warming back up literally made me start laughing. Does that make me a masochist? MjF, what a kick in ass. You sat through that weather and got an opportunity you couldn't take advantage of. I'm sure a couple obscenities were uttered in that moment.

16-Jan-24
No swearing but I think the panicked dumbfounded look on my face was priceless. I believe I lasted a little over 2 hours out there that day.

16-Jan-24
It gave me time to get going on indoor work and is making better ice for ice fishing!!! I have hunted in temps down to -20, sure makes you think of what your doing.

16-Jan-24
Made more work for me.

16-Jan-24
Made my nipples hard enough to cut glass. I'm waiting for the weather to break just a bit before heading out again.

16-Jan-24
The coldest I've bow hunted was -19. I saw a few deer during mid day which was when I hunted. The deer move more at mid day when it's frigid out. Never had anything close to shoot.

16-Jan-24
It stopped me from hunting . The snow is drifting to 2 feet in some spots, snow is 18" on the level in most spots. I have a half mile or so walk to the woods, the bike does no good for me. Maybe check next week if we get a little melting. Sure is driving the dog crazy, she is used to 2 walks every day, 3 miles or so. Heelers need exercise, or they turn into instant assholes.

16-Jan-24
Knifeman do you have a pair of snow shoes? Once in and out the first time your trail will be packed, after that it will be easy to get to your stand without breaking a sweat.

16-Jan-24
Have no desire to hunt in extreme cold. If you have some kind of mishap , those kind of temperatures can kill you dead in short order. More power to those that like it....

17-Jan-24
Retro, like I said, it really makes you think. I don't hunt it much anymore, but not too long ago I did not bat an eye if there were deer around. Windy conditions? na, not worth it. Funny, you guys South have a lot of snow, Us in the Northern half have 4"!!!

17-Jan-24
Live, I have to crawl over 4 foot drifts to get into the woods. Like knifeman said, it's tough going...... However, 30s start Monday, 40 and rain by Friday, I have to rake snow off roofs, and it will be an absolute mess.

17-Jan-24
I'm glad we don't have a bunch up here. It screws up the lakes, and hopefully what there is left for deer can get away better from the wolves. Now, in my younger years when I snowmobiled and ski'd, I would be ticked. In 1984 I bought a brand new snowmobile. I could not ride it on the trails for 2 years because there was no snow.

17-Jan-24
mjf, im too old for that shit. Maybe if I was 30 instead of 60, but probably not then either How am I going to get the deer out? Drag it through 2 foot drifts a half mile on snowshoes?

17-Jan-24
Sorry to hear that, I’m going to be 61 in a few days, I must be doing good then, I do have foot problems but I have no problem on snowshoes, in fact it’s fun, you wouldn’t believe how easy it is to pull a deer out of the woods on a sled, just have to take your time.

17-Jan-24
Live, The cold didn't stop me when I was young. But walking back into no man's land and climbing trees when it's brutal cold is a real gamble. No room for mishaps... To each their own...

17-Jan-24
The weather had me stuck on a plane that was on as I returned from Dallas on Monday. The jetway was froze up and after 50 minutes of the maintenance crew trying to get it working, they sat us back down, pushed us out and moved to another gate. Two hours after that I found out my baggage did not arrive and I was finally able to go pick it up last night at 9:45.

17-Jan-24
Wow, drag a deer 1/2 mile through 2 feet of snow on snowshoes? Sounds like a story my grandpa would have told lol. I forgot uphill both ways. With all due respect, bullshit. No offense.

17-Jan-24
Dragging deer through/on snow is way easier than bare ground. Sled or not, way less resistance and much easier over logs and uneven terrain. I wish my private land spot had the extended season as I love hunting with good snow cover and cold

17-Jan-24
a half mile through knee deep snow on the level, plus 2 foot drifts, by yourself, dragging a deer out. You guys really are full crap, no offense.

17-Jan-24
Wow you are busted up no offense, but that’s how I hunted the winters of 2021-22 late season in northern Bayfield County

18-Jan-24
I use an ice fishing sled for dragging deer out. It works great all year long, even with winters like this. I also load it up with my chain saw gear, tools, and lunch for a day in the woods. Put the snowshoes of an off we go! BC

• Sitka Gear