BAT 26-Apr-24
Dthfrmabove1 27-Apr-24
MA-PAdeerslayer 28-Apr-24
16-Jan-24

Dthfrmabove1's embedded Photo
So the boar Backstraps were a success. Marinated in pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce and sweet chili sauce. I will be posting a lot more pig pics in the future. My life is pretty complete now that I have figured out what and where to hunt here now.

16-Jan-24
Dth, that looks delicious. I can only assume you "pigged out".

16-Jan-24
Wow!!!

16-Jan-24
Looks great!

16-Jan-24
As Charlie Sheen so famously noted: "Winning"! That looks like an amazing dinner DFA!

16-Jan-24

Before
Before
After
After
Made 6 lbs of mild Italian sausage today with little piggy. Probably not going to case it. Just leave it in raw form to be out on pizza and sauce with a axis deer meatballs. Made a flatbread pizza tonight with it. I am pretty excited to be making sausage with wild game that I don’t have to worry about it drying out !!

24-Jan-24

hickstick's embedded Photo
hickstick's embedded Photo
Over the course of Sunday and Monday evenings, I made 9 pounds of summer sausage...6 pounds venison to 3 pounds pork. I didn't feel like smoking it proper...so I cheated and used liquid smoke and tge oven. Tasty tasty.

This was my first time ever making sausage and I discovered very quickly that I need to get a vertical sausage stuffer. The attachment for my kitchenaid just wouldn't do. I ended up using my jerky gun and it sucked! Lol. Everything else went swimmingly.

25-Jan-24
Looks amazing guys!

25-Jan-24
Piggy Cuisine. Hick whats your recipe? Use a cure for that? Ive wanted to try the big summer sausage. Bought a Waltons 11lb. Stuffer it cuts the time way down for sticks and links.

25-Jan-24
I just load those big casings with a spoon and compress the meat down by hand. I have a vertical stuffer for the smaller casings but it's not necessary on that size IMO.

25-Jan-24
Deerdawg, I just bought a kit at cabelas, which came with the seasoning, sodium nitrate cure, and casings. Enough to do 25 pounds. I added in a little liquid smoke since I wasn't going to smoke it on my grill. I did watch the bearded butchers summer sausage video a half a dozen times though sorta following their lead.

Bwhnt...I actually stuffed the last one by hand, basically dropping meatballs in and compressing them at the 1/3rd full points. Came out okay but you can definitely tell where the 'seams' are.

28-Jan-24

Josh22's embedded Photo
Josh22's embedded Photo
I saved some backstrap for my daughters 11th bday, they came from a big 220 lb deer my buddy got a couple of years ago. I’m grateful for him, he knows how much my daughter loves venison and he loves to make us happy! I couldn’t believe how big these things were. Anyhow I cut them into petit filets, marinated in teriyaki and cooked them quick on the grill. Unreal. They melted in your mouth, everyone said it was the best venison they ever had. My daughter drank that juice off her plate haha.

28-Jan-24
I love paper plates…. And venison.

28-Jan-24

BAT's embedded Photo
BAT's embedded Photo
Bowhunter’s BBQ, crock pot recipe from Matthews that came with my previous bow

28-Jan-24

Made a sauce and meatballs tonight. 2 lbs of axis deer burger mixed with 1/2 lb of wild boar Italian sausage. Both meats were cut with 27% beef fat while grinding.

28-Jan-24
What you call em ? Death balls ? Heart attack bombs? The cholesterol granade?

But I'm sure they are great... As a last meal . :-)

29-Jan-24
We all have to die sometime. Some sooner than others. Plus I am more worried about the chemicals that are put into meat than a little fat from the back. Haven’t eaten store bought meat since we got here and don’t plan on it either so I will roll the dice with a little fat in my diet

29-Jan-24
All these entries look delicious! But I’m a little upset that my own bow didn’t come with any recipes.

29-Jan-24

BAT's embedded Photo
BAT's embedded Photo
Let’s see if I can make this pic not be sideways.. I use venison steaks, just trimmed off the fat/silver skin and they shred right up with a couple of serving forks

29-Jan-24
You're probably using wild cow fat. But "a little" is subjective. You won't care about "chemicals" if you need a triple bypass.

Just busting a bit Dr.Death ... We all do some things that are less than perfectly healthy.

Enjoy.

04-Feb-24

Pi. This is for you. We made wild boar potstickers tonight. No extra fat added or needed. Was a huge hit with everyone and will probably be making these quite often. Dipping sauce was a combo of low salt soy sauce, Hawaiian pineapple barbecue sauce and chili crisp oil.

04-Feb-24

peterk1234's embedded Photo
Elk meatballs and homemade fresh pasta.

04-Feb-24
Wow my mouth is actually watering a little. It all looks delicious

04-Feb-24
Amazing meals, you guys. I forgot the, but I had an awesome venison and barley stew last week. Little pecorino Romano cheese grated on top, so good!

04-Feb-24
All look delicious, as usual! Pete that homemade pasta also looks like a home run. We tried making pasta a couple years ago and clearly, from the picture, you’ve got us beat.

04-Feb-24

Decided to just lop off a rear quarter and will turn it into a ham for Easter. This should be a fun experiment

04-Feb-24
5.9 pounds….what are the rest of you eating? I call dibs on the ham ;)

04-Feb-24
You glutton MaPa !!!! Hahaha

05-Feb-24
Dth, keep us posted on the ham. I've been wanting to do this. But I'm not sure I'm set up for a long dry cure. You going dry or wet?

05-Feb-24
Pete. Going wet cure 5-7 with bone in

05-Feb-24

Did the pizza thing again with the boar sausage. Also threw on some locally grown pineapple

05-Feb-24
Wow does that look good. Half hour before lunch, worst possible time to look at that.

05-Feb-24

Jebediah's embedded Photo
By way of a little public service announcement—this “Press-n-Seal” stuff is great. Easy to handle, very effective. Saran Wrap should be outlawed. If I had a new baby, I would name him or her Press-n-Seal. Works for both a boy or a girl.

11-Feb-24

BAT's embedded Photo
BAT's embedded Photo
My annual Super Bowl Calzone; ground venison, onions, peppers, mushrooms, Cheddar Mozzarella, and Romano cheese

12-Feb-24
Piggy Dumplings and Pizza mmm good. Calzone looks Delicious BAT!

12-Feb-24
Love a good calzone

21-Feb-24

Sweet and sour wild boar with locally grown pineapples, onions and peppers

21-Feb-24

Arrownoob's embedded Photo
Not hunting related but google “nyt no knead bread”. Super easy - sits over night but very little effort. My first attempt was 10/10

21-Feb-24

Not hunting related but google “nyt no knead bread”. Super easy - sits over night but very little effort. My first attempt was 10/10

21-Feb-24

Bear sloppy joe’s.

21-Feb-24
Boo boo on a bun?

22-Feb-24
Here’s a cuisine-related public service announcement for those who (like me) must periodically (or almost always) sulk into the grocery store to buy meat: ground turkey is better for you, tastes better, and is cheaper than ground beef. This completes this test of the Emergency Broadcast System.

22-Feb-24

Here’s some more cuisine…jerky.

22-Feb-24
Mmmmmmmm. Jerky !!!

22-Feb-24
Mmmmmmmm. Jerky !!!

23-Feb-24
Only ever made that jerky with ground venison. I wonder how it would be with ground beef or ground turkey. Read that bear jerky is a bad idea because slow cooking/dehydration/whatever doesn’t kill the trichinosis parasite. No interest in doing that experiment.

26-Feb-24

Ok so had the first of the Backstraps and tenderloins from my Molokai trip. Without a doubt axis deer is the cleanest and most tender venison out there !!! The quality of the meat is outstanding and I will become a vegetarian if I ever have to Move from Here. Already contacted our host in Molokai and we are scheduling another Trip Out there for axis deer and GT / tuna and mahi fishing.

26-Feb-24
Looks awesome. Have you seen any of those meateater episodes with spear fishing? Could be a fun way to get some fish.

26-Feb-24
Looks delicious, have heard that axis deer tastes the best by far.

26-Feb-24
Yum

29-Feb-24

Ground bear, possibilities are endless…

29-Feb-24
Jeb Gotta say I have never tried bear burger. How is it compared to store bought burger? Do you cut it with beef fat or just use the bear fat ???

29-Feb-24

Did venison teriyaki sliders with bacon, cheddar and local pineapples. Soooo good. I see a pattern here. Burgers and pizza seems to be a go to for us I guess. lol

29-Feb-24

And had a modified Hawaiian pizza the other night. It had pineapple, bacon and my attempt at cured wild boar. It actually came out pretty good considering I didn’t use a smoker. Just a wet cure and rinse them in the oven it went. Sliced real thin so it got crispy in the 525 degree oven.

01-Mar-24
Lookin good Shawn!

01-Mar-24
Looks wonderful! Is pineapple expensive there? Concerning this bear (the only one we’ve ever gotten)—no fat added, indistinguishable from ground beef. He was definitely <200lb, and I think maybe this matters—I was told that small bears like this taste a little better than big bears. But we still want a big one this year. Only 6 months to go!

01-Mar-24
You can get pineapple at roadside vendors for around $4 each and in the supermarkets on sale for $.99 a pound. Don’t know what they are in MA to compare

01-Mar-24
How much does the average pineapple weigh

01-Mar-24
Hmmmmmm. I don’t know the average weight. But I do know I usually don’t pay more than 5-6 bucks for one if I get it at the local grocery store. At Costco or road side vendor it’s usually under $5 They are the same size as the ones you would get in MA or the Carolinas

01-Mar-24
lol. Or pineapples are actually green. Weird I know

01-Mar-24
Eewww. Green pineapples. Nah. They should be yellow / orange.

02-Mar-24
Haha kidding of course. Enjoy your delicious pineapples everyone lol.

03-Mar-24

$9 for three pineapples

04-Mar-24
In Australia they sell them without the tops because people started growing their own.

04-Mar-24
In Australia they sell them without the tops because people started growing their own.

04-Mar-24
The Diet Coke must be $9 a 12 pack

04-Mar-24
Depends where I get it. There is a place. Nanko Fishing Supply. They have blowout beer sales. Bought two 12 packs of the white claw mango seltzers for 14.99. !!! They commonly have 30 packs of bud for 14.99 too.

05-Mar-24
Seltzers for your wife…? Right…?

06-Mar-24
Hahaha. Nope but she drinks them. To make the seltzers more manly. I chase them with Jack Fire. It’s my good friend from Nantucket’s favorite drinking combo when we pull all weekenders on the beaches out there for sharks. Gotta tell you it brings back awesome memories of the time I got to spend out there with my friends. Such a great place and great group of people.

06-Mar-24
That’s awesome buddy. Just breaking your stones :) haha

06-Mar-24
I know, but I had to make it sound more manly to drink those

06-Mar-24
Try making the Bud light part more manly... Haha

06-Mar-24
I just want to point out that drinking more alcohol, to be more manly actually reduces testosterone, thus having the opposite effect. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6761906/#:~:text=Studies%20found%20that%20heavy%20alcohol,important%20role%20in%20sperm%20maturation.

Soooo... Stick to the Seltzer DFA. Hunt pigs, catch fish and keep the water going down the hatch...

06-Mar-24
Mass Bowsite: come for the hunting, stay for the scientific references!

06-Mar-24
Will he’s talking about alcoholic seltzer lol!

06-Mar-24
Good one ma.

And... However... as a side note ... if you hit the gym and crank the iron like a madman it produces more testosterone than you lose while drinking booze.

But yeah , drink some water too.:-)

And if that ain't your thing, there is a pill for everything. ( Well. Probably a shot)

There ,( a shot )now it's hunting , medical and booze all in one .

You're welcome.

06-Mar-24

Made stuffed shells with ricotta cheese and wild boar Italian sausage. Kind of a lumpy mess, but trust me they were good.

07-Mar-24
Looks great DFA!

07-Mar-24
Oh man. 7AM and I’m dying for stuffed shells.

07-Mar-24
Damn, my brain forgot there was alcoholic seltzer...

Those shells look amazing! So good!

10-Mar-24

Made a smoked rear quarter for pulled pork and grilled some straps for last nights dinner. The pulled pork was real intense in flavor. Hard to describe. Not gamey at all but definitely not like pork from a store. This pigs meat was a bit darker than the others have a feeling this contributed to the meatier flavor. It’s really cool to have different flavor profiles in wild game. Guess it’s like an early season doe and an end of the rut buck. All depends on what they are doing or eating.

11-Mar-24
That’s neat Shawn. Bet it was still good tho!

12-Mar-24

Squirrel stew. Four squirrels in there, I promise. Too watery, more like vegetable soup with squirrel meat. UPDATE: I’d asked my wife for a recommendation on spices, and she told me to use her pre-mixed taco seasoning powder, all of it. This was maybe 1/2 cup. Unfortunately I don’t know what was in it, but this stew wound up being delicious, and I think it was largely because of this taco seasoning mix.

12-Mar-24

My wife is traveling with my son, and so I thought it was a good time to try spam. This is spam with macaroni and cheese. Incredibly salty, but not too bad.

13-Mar-24

Made some wild pig Asian influenced burgers with a spicy slaw to go on top. Will definitely make these again. Kind of tasted like a dumpling. Haha this particular pig had very pinkish red meat. To the occasional burger eater. They would never tell the difference between this and a cow burger.

13-Mar-24

YoungBuck's embedded Photo
Back strap with a morel mushroom sauce
YoungBuck's embedded Photo
Back strap with a morel mushroom sauce

14-Mar-24
Hell yeah. Look at all the good food !! Great job guys. I made a pulled pork and put it in sandwiches but forgot about the pics. Haha

14-Mar-24
Young Buck you pick the morels? Id love to know a few mushrooms that are edible. I dont see morels in area, yet. Dthf you are making us all look like a bunch of amatures ! You need a job or you have to start your own restaurant Feild to Plate. ! I love to cook with pineapple. Cranberry's apples and wild mushrooms are great adds with wild game as well

17-Mar-24

Got a little cold today. Got down to 67 degrees this morning so we decided to make a batch of venison / wild boar chili.

17-Mar-24
67 is down right freezing. I’m terribly sorry you’re experiencing those conditions. Hopefully your pineapples pull thru hahahaha

25-Mar-24

Had tenderloins on a salad. I know. Why ruin a good piece of meat !! The salad did have eggs, beets and apples though.

25-Mar-24
Wow that looks good!

25-Mar-24
That’s a good looking salad right there.

25-Mar-24

Kid came home with this.
Kid came home with this.

25-Mar-24
Looks fresh…

25-Mar-24
Chocolate covered raisins! My favorite

26-Mar-24
Licorice. Black beans from the south.

29-Mar-24

“Overnight oatmeal”—fill jar about 2/3 full of oats, add milk till it’s about half an inch above the oats, then add maybe 3/4 inch of syrup. Mix up, refrigerator overnight. If you can get past the idea of eating cold oatmeal, it’s delicious. Obviously you could heat it up, and adjust ratios to make it thicker/thinner.

29-Mar-24
Anyone bake sourdough bread? It's quite a process.

30-Mar-24

BD, I make sourdough bread every other day. My starter made the trek across country with me. It's not an old one. I think I created it in 2019.

I have my own process that is quite easy. Two teaspoons of my starter, luke warm water, couple cups of flour, couple pinches of sugar and salt. Mix it. Let it rise for 12 to 15 hours. Shape it. Let it rise for a couple more. Bake at 450 for 35 minutes.

30-Mar-24

Muley and elk meatballs. Tomato and alfredo sauce. Will top off with homemade pasta and bread.

30-Mar-24
Looks amazing Peter!

30-Mar-24
Looking good Pete !!!!

30-Mar-24

Chili dogs at the beach a couple weekends ago. Wild boar and axis deer for the chili topping over locally sourced hot dogs with no nitrates or preservatives.

30-Mar-24
Wow in two entries there’s wild boar, axis deer, mule deer, and elk. All look great, very impressive!

30-Mar-24
Dth, that does not suck. That looks awesome.

30-Mar-24
Looks great DFA, both the dogs and the warm beach!

30-Mar-24

Another cookout for sunset. Wild boar burgers and local Pineapple on the grill

31-Mar-24

MA-PAdeerslayer's embedded Photo

31-Mar-24

Elk sirloin for Easter dinner

31-Mar-24
I bet that’s gonna be amazing.

31-Mar-24
I’m hoping so Josh!

31-Mar-24
Some great looking eats for sure. Hope to someday be grilling an Elk sirloin of my own. It’s on the list for sure.

31-Mar-24
Notime, this one won’t taste quite as good. I only traveled about 45 minutes and got this one. My buddy down here in NC hooked me up with some from his friend! I intend one day to have a freezer full of my own tho!

31-Mar-24

Almost grub time….

31-Mar-24

If that isn’t perfect idk what is fellas…..

31-Mar-24

If that isn’t perfect idk what is fellas…..

31-Mar-24
Whoa MaPa. !!! Michelin star quality

31-Mar-24
I've never had elk, but damn that looks good.

31-Mar-24
When I took it off the grill, I honestly thought it was still raw and my thermometer was lying to me it just felt raw in the tongs…but damn was it delicious…I took it off around 128 and let it sit for 10 minutes before cutting…

01-Apr-24
Peter, thanks for the sourdough recipe

12-Apr-24

Made a pineapple and sausage meatball with a sweet and sour sauce to go with it. The meatballs were 50/50. Wild boar hot Italian sausage and axis deer burger. Pineapple of course local. Kinda getting sick of pineapple right now. Haha

12-Apr-24
Your gonna turn into a pineapple

12-Apr-24
Your gonna turn into a pineapple

13-Apr-24
A sour one at that

13-Apr-24
A sour one at that

19-Apr-24

Hiking in the woods last week. Found a Myer lemon tree. Picked some fruit and made lemon drop martinis with a vodka made on Maui and the sugar cane made here. Forgot to pack the martini. Glasses though so had to improvise

25-Apr-24

Smoked a venison round in the local Kiawe wood at lunch at the job site. The homeowner who is Korean whipped up a stir fry noodle dish to go with it.

26-Apr-24
Nice DFA, too bad your not fitting in at all in Hawaii :) respect, that you have been able to mix NE and Hawaii cultures so well!

27-Apr-24

So driving up to our favorite beach on the north shore we pass a local honey stand. Wife gets out and buys a bottle of honey and tells me they are selling whiskey there too. Made from the local tea tree roots. I grabbed two bottles and drank 2 bottles with the guy who makes it. The troops of this tree are sugar based so instead of using the local sugar cane he mashes the roots and makes a whiskey mash out of it then distills it. I just bought freaking moonshine on the side of the road in Hawaii. Hahaha

28-Apr-24
White claws and moonshine

• Sitka Gear