CaptMike 01-Feb-24
Glunker 01-Feb-24
Live2Hunt 01-Feb-24
dpms 01-Feb-24
>>>--arrow1--> 01-Feb-24
Missouribreaks 01-Feb-24
17-Jan-24

sagittarius's Link
AB934 By Representatives (R)Tittl, (R)Behnke, (R)Edming, (R)Goeben, (R)Gustafson, (R)Magnafici, (R)Mursau, (D)Palmeri and (R)Schmidt.

Another attempt at combining the archer and crossbow hunting licenses is in the works ....

17-Jan-24
I'm going to fire off a response to those nimrods. If anything, it should be combined with the gun license.

17-Jan-24
At this point separate licenses have little value. Several years of data is in, nothing has changed.

17-Jan-24
"At this point separate licenses have little value." While I agree, currently it is only due to the perspective of sitting legislators. Maintaining the data may still someday in the future, prove useful.

17-Jan-24
This was the one point I never considered with the introduction of the crossbow for all, and I believe it was Captain Mike who pointed out the obvious to me, but if we do go to full inclusion like so many other states have, then if there are future adjustments to the seasons, it will be to the conglomerate of those two weapons, and shortening the length of the season, or going to a one buck state to accommodate a necessary adjustment does not sit well with me. It likely is what it is, but I'd obviously vote against it like I did with the initial lobbying for crossbows in the first place.

17-Jan-24
At this point, I think it doesnt mean jack anymore. Go ahead and do it, just make it mandatory that crossgunners have to wear a government issued pink tutu while hunting.

17-Jan-24
Pete, I absolutely believe that is the goal of the pro crossbow people. Once combined into an existing, long running and accepted hunt season like the archery season, they then automatically and instantly become one and can no longer be singled out for the impacts of their efforts. They are and always have been afraid to take ownership for the results of their efforts.

17-Jan-24
The fact people seem to be missing is that X-bows have succeeded in getting more people in the woods. That’s a good thing. I don’t use one and I also think the season should be different, but hunting as a whole has been on the decline in America for a while now. Half of you that harp on them constantly on here are also the ones saying that hunters need to stick together when discussing other topics. I could care less what you hunt with. It’s your hunt. Do whatever you want as long as it’s legal. But the constant bitching on here about them is nauseating. Quit acting like your hunt is better because you use a different weapon.

17-Jan-24
Grub, I don’t care what you hunt with. But they are two entirely different weapons and should be licensed and regulated as such.

I fired off emails in opposition to this bill to every representative that introduced this bill. I will also send one to my local representative to not support this.

This is their attempt to hide their harvest totals and success rates to keep from their season from being adjusted know the archer wouldn’t push for the shortening of the season and cut theirs also.

18-Jan-24
Grub, tell us, with facts, just exactly who are all these “new hunters” and what have they done to make life better for existing hunters?

18-Jan-24
The only thing that was added was the gun hunters that could not or did not want to shoot a bow to hunt now can use a gun during the bow season. That is what was added. Keep it separate so it can be managed. Yes, said it many times, it should be part of the gun tag.

18-Jan-24
Not everyone can be a professional athlete. Not everyone has the desire to become proficient in the sport of archery. Sooooo what do those do that don't have the desire. Like the trans athletes males they declare their trans so they can participate in girls sport to look good. Same with xgunners. Its easier to use a shoulder fired xgun and call yourself an archer and be successful then to work at the sport it self. If they /wdnr wants more people in the woods promote hiking if they don't want to work at the sport. Wisconsin had a VERY good xgun law that allowed everyone no matter their physical condition to use a xgun and hunt every animal we have and there wasn't all the division.

18-Jan-24
Time to get over it, bowhunting lost.

18-Jan-24
We are not all quitters.

18-Jan-24
Unfortunately many have quit bowhunting and now use scoped crossbows. Many right here who post use the crossbow machine, most of you are quitters. Not referring to you Captain.

18-Jan-24
We are not all quitters. Exactly Capt, some of use do not go by the wayside and say, Oh well.

18-Jan-24
Why is someone else supposed to make your life better when all you do is shit all over anyone that doesn’t do it your way?

18-Jan-24
All I can say is wow, we lost something somewhere. Archery was allowed because of the challenge of that weapon, a bow and arrow, shot like a bow and arrow. Some always want to cheat the system, not put an effort into an outcome. My way? You would need to go back to the people that got archery hunting going to use that excuse. Sad to see such a great way of life get trashed the way it has recently.

18-Jan-24
Sad to see the bow and arrow hunters season diminishing now. Today the easy button is all too readily available in all forms of life. I can't fathom 20 years from now. I am glad I got to enjoy it for what it was/is and was able to pass that experience on to my boys, and grandkids. Fortunately, they have the same respect for the bow and arrow as I do.

18-Jan-24
Live ++

18-Jan-24
L2H x3

18-Jan-24
I think what some proponents of the crossbow are forgetting is that most here actually don't mind the crossbow. All we ask is that it is treated differently than a vertical bow just like the vertical bow is treated differently than the rifle. There is no opportunity lost in what a lot of us want. If you are able, use the vertical bow. If you aren't physically able then use the crossbow. There is no exclusion in that. The archery season was created as such because of the challenge of the sport. Using a crossbow that shoots 500 fps goes against all knowledge used to create a specific archery season. Grub, I guess my specific question for you would be ........Are you OK if the DNR allowed rifle use during the archery season for able bodied individuals.

18-Jan-24
L2Hx4

18-Jan-24
As I stated earlier, I don’t agree with crossbows being thrown in with vertical. But I do feel that it has gotten more people hunting than before they were allowed. I’m just sick of all you old keyboard jockeys acting like your way is the only way. And trying to cram your opinions on it down everyone else’s throat. I don’t care what you think. Because you obviously don’t care what anyone else thinks unless it fits your narrative.

18-Jan-24
Grub, thanks for clarifying your position with such an intellectual response. We now know the value of your comments.

18-Jan-24
For sure the scoped bolt machines got more people hunting in the archery seasons. Is this an overall victory for hunting ? If so, we should welcome the air gun in archery seasons too.

18-Jan-24
Its comical to be on a bowhunting forum and be labeled an elitist because you like and support using bows during bow season...You can't make this stuff up. Planet of the Apes....

18-Jan-24
This is the planet of the Bubba apes. A bunch of scoped crossbow owners posting on a bow hunting site. What misery !

18-Jan-24
Am I the only one that has contacted their Reps. and all the ones that brought AB934 forward? Seems like everyone quibbles on the forum but not where it could do some good?

18-Jan-24
Grub, then it sounds like we are agreeing? I hope that your entire post wasn't all directed at me. I was trying to honestly ask you a question and maybe the context was lost on my post. Either way, I do feel there are better ways to get more people in the woods than handing them a crossbow but I acknowledge that it probably has occurred. Maybe a separate season and one buck for any stringed weapons. Still get your second gun buck to keep that tradition. Again, I think any disabled hunter should have the option to use a crossbow. Allow crossbows until mid October (give or take) to avoid using them during the most vulnerable times. It doesn't mean they don't get to hunt the rut but just that they would have to take a vertical bow during that time. I think that fits the model better when you talk about bows, guns, muzzleloaders etc. What would you guys like to see?

I gun hunt but I wouldn't mind seeing that pushed back a week to clear the rut a little. The last couple of seasons have been way to close to peak breeding (Nov. 15).

18-Jan-24
I am so damn sick of all the negativity ! I really do not feel welcome here anylonger. ! After 2 major back surgeries, 3 shoulder surgeries, soon to be one mor, I CAN NO LONGER HOLD UP AND SHOOT A REGULAR BOW ! Long bow, recurve, or compound ! THATS A FACT JACK ! You assholes maker me feel small, not a part of the hunting society and just plain unwanted, You can all go to hell

18-Jan-24
Grouch, you can thank every able-bodied crossbow user and their supporters for that. Crossbow use has been in WI for many years and was used as a tool for people just like yourself to continue to enjoy the archery season after age or physical restraints left them unable to use conventional archery equipment. Criticisms of it are not aimed at users like yourself.

18-Jan-24
Grouch... Don't throw the pitty pot out there. You were included in the old rules. No one ever said a word about the way it was set up before the x bow season. I have been eligible to use an x bow since 2004, I can still shoot my bow so I choose not to.

18-Jan-24
I do not know of any posters, including me, who have not posted all over this forum in support of crossbows for those with legitimate physical limitations. Homework is important.

18-Jan-24
Grub, where did you come up with that comment? I always find it funny the ones who get all up about this are the older people that are using them. As stated, No one, not one of us or anyone I know have or would condone the use of one for age or handicap. The people we talk about are the ones that have no reason to have to use one and it is only because it is like shooting a gun and the kill is much easier than having to work at shooting a bow plane and simple. Retro, wholeheartedly agree with that and always have. Why come on a bow site and slam people for making comments about not using a bow? It is just comical.

18-Jan-24
There really is no limit to crossbow technology. Vertical bow tech is limited as it is human powered. If they lump the two together and crossbow kills are no longer tracked. It would be hard to possibly limit the technology when it gets out of hand.

18-Jan-24
In the north where no doe hunting is being introduced to rebuild the deer herds maybe the most effective weapon in the archery season should be eliminated as well as it surely has contributed to low numbers in these areas.

Can you now see the reason this data needs to be seperate and kept relevant going forward?

18-Jan-24
Grouch, my wife has had 3 shoulder surgeries, an AC and SC joint surgery, She cannot physically draw a bow. She would rather bow hunt. I have no and most on here have no issue with physically impaired or seniors 65 and over using crossbows. The rest of us if capable should not have our harvest data blended together and lose length of season for more challenging methods. This will happen eventually. Stats do not lie.

19-Jan-24
Grouch,, your user name fits your rude posts,,,,,, NO WHERE did anyone with your needs trash on you or others for using a xgun. Under Wisconsin's old law you would have still been able to use your xgun but wouldn't of had the division there is now by making the xgun law full inclusion. Even now if there was a limited season length for xguns that would help the division ........

19-Jan-24
Some day people are going to be able to use any weapon they want during bow season, except a bow... And this will be perfectly logical to today's society.

19-Jan-24
I agree with retro on that one.

19-Jan-24
Ya, Logic and today's society do not belong in the same sentence.

19-Jan-24
I remember ( 10+) years ago, when this issue was first being debated, that those pushing for full inclusion managed to get some current crossbow users as supporters. Those people ended up being useful idiots as they already had the ability to use a crossbow. I also remember getting very little support from the hunting community when our small group was fighting this issue. Lastly, I remember many (some on this site) who laughed at us for fighting for a separate license (accountability) once the NRA got involved and with their money, pushed the issue through.

19-Jan-24
Christ you got that right

19-Jan-24
I see the biggest narcissists here have spoken first, maybe they feel a little guilty, I never said anything about any of youj disrespecting anyone with age issues or handicaps in using an xbow, All have totally missed the point ! looking at these posts daily, outright condemming crossbow hunters really makes me feel like an outsider, I have been here a long time, first as hatfield hunter, then as grouch ! I loved the information and the brotherhood banter, BUT this negativity is getting old and makes me feel unwanted !!! instead of coming up with excuses to make yourseklves feel better, put yourself in our shoes and take a walk

19-Jan-24
And which is also why I no longer belong to the nra. My money flows through orgs that support bowhunting and it’s promotion

19-Jan-24
Sorry for the misinterpretation Grouch.

19-Jan-24
Not sure why anyone would feel guilt for speaking the truth? Personally I am not an attendee of pity parties. And, as Shed stated, I too have stopped supporting the NRA due to this.

19-Jan-24
Frustrated, after firing off several emails to the co-authors of this bill in opposition and my local representative. He is the only one that gave me a response so far. You guys can bicker and fight, but everyone has their camp they fall into and minds will never be changed. Hunters will never learn and become proactive rather than reactive and let outside influences ebb into our seasons and structure. We as hunters need to put up a united front nation wide and get wildlife management out of the courts. One of the biggest weapons the antis use is to litigate hunting organizations to death legitimate or not. Same thing you see Trump facing with charge after charge being thrown at him with no repercussions for false accusations as an example.

One thing I find interesting is that one of the most dedicated archers and WI. Bowhunting and its heritage is absent from all these triads. Kudos to him!

19-Jan-24
Guilty? As in an able bodied younger person using an xgun during what was designed to be an archery only season? No, I do not feel guilty at all. For all that had to go to them for age or real disabilities to continue hunting during the archery season I have no problems and would encourage the use of them for those individuals. I to quit the NRA at that time.

19-Jan-24
No guilt here. Why should I be guilty for supporting a limited season that I have enjoyed for 40 some odd years. I have always stood behind the crossbow for those unable to shoot a bow and arrow. Some very good hunters on this forum do so now. I have a very close friend that has for the last few years. He is 70 and had to put the bow and arrow down a few years ago. Where I draw the line in my remarks are for the able-bodied cross bow hunters that don't want to take the time to be proficient with a weapon that to be used for a limited season. Sure they are hunters and good for them but, I will not support them at the risk of my season being shortened somewhere down the road. A lot of those people just grab the crossbow head out the door and hunt. Do you really think they care how I feel, but I am just suppose to shut up and not say anything to offend a crossbower. You make me laugh Grouch. As I always have in the past, I wish you the best with your health. You don't have to say I appreciate it Rick, you never have before. Carry on.

19-Jan-24
Live +1

19-Jan-24
Well said xtroutx! As Capt Mike said we had little support from our fellow hunters who went the easy route when this all went down. I have begun the process of getting some in Madison to look at the concerns. They all are in agreement that the weapon if more rifle like than a bow at least. I'm probably peeing in the wind but at least there is correspondence on the topic.

19-Jan-24
Maybe the reason some feel like outsiders on here is because there on a bowhunting forum and they are trying to push a crossgun agenda. If I was a crossgun supporter I would go to a crossgun forum. I'm a bowhunter, so thats why I go to a bowhunting forum. What a crazy idea huh?

19-Jan-24
Maybe they could take their concerns to leatherwall. I am sure they would be appreciated there.

19-Jan-24
LOL, yes, we start our days out on Leatherwall singing Kumbaya!!!

19-Jan-24
Retro, novel idea!

19-Jan-24
Gee retro, that is not being sensitive and inclusive. I like it.

19-Jan-24
Droptine. Thanks for the pep talk above. I spent my afternoon sending e-mails. Time will tell if I get any responses. It can't hurt to try.

19-Jan-24
There is no inclusiveness involved in any of this. BOWhunting not crossbow or airgun or rifle. Rather simple. If you feel excluded on BOWsite you should, it is really simple. Leave you are not a bowhunter.

19-Jan-24
Droptine, What other hunting groups are uniting to protect against infringement on our bowhunting season? Also, who's helped in the past?

19-Jan-24

Groundhunter's embedded Photo
Groundhunter's embedded Photo

19-Jan-24
Well I got a photo thru,, anyway this is the future

19-Jan-24
It sure is.

19-Jan-24
Retro, I haven’t a clue at the moment. Even WBH is sitting on their hands. There was no opposition to the air bow and I’m not sure AB 934 has come up for public opinion yet or not.

20-Jan-24
Good to see Mike.

20-Jan-24
Great picture GH. We need more youth hunting.

20-Jan-24
Good for him Mike!!!! I know in some circles it’s different, but my youngest who’s 19 and his 8 or so buddies all bowhunt, and not one even considers the use of a crossgun. They all shoot plenty of deer, have fun at 3d shoots, and all see that Thiers a lot to be said for doing anything the hard way. Thier is hope

20-Jan-24

Gileguy's embedded Photo
Gileguy's embedded Photo
Do you really think we need more hunters? I can't get tags anywhere anymore without a boatload of points, western state hunters are wishing Wisconsin hunters would be banned from their states. Many WMAs seem to be over hunted....why more hunters? Oh, & f the crossbow in archery season, if my wife at 68 can still get it done shed your pink panties and use a bow in archery season.

20-Jan-24
Wow 2 great pictures each showing the pure joy of archery and the hunt for a deer. Love the young fella draging his catch, bow in hand. I agree with everyone the crossbow is done,and everyone hates it , Nobody needs it , not the young , nor the older , men , women , even little boys , and little girls , nobody, I repeat nobody needs it . These pictures tell the truth .

20-Jan-24
Gile, congrats to your wife, that is awesome!!

20-Jan-24
Gileguy, here is the best tip I could give you.. SNAs. State Natural Areas. 73 of them in Wis. Most have no parking areas, are wet.nasty areas, and are great buck areas.

20-Jan-24
It's time to to kill the crossbow and and the idea that pursues the use of one . Crossbow for nobody regardless .

20-Jan-24
Well if that was the case I could not have hunted this year, get over yourself, and enjoy the woods. And your telling me, my 81 year old buddy should not hunt? That guy probably could shame you witn all his woodsmanship knowledge. No disrespect, but your nuts.

21-Jan-24
thanks ltl jimbow you just reinforced what i said earlier !!!!!!!! crossbows for nobody regardless !!! SEE AHOLES WHAT I MEAN, MANY OF YOU TALK OUT OF THE SIDE OF YOUR MOUTHS !!

21-Jan-24
welcome back grouch

21-Jan-24
Yes we are all talking out the side of our mouths, LOL

21-Jan-24
Hi grouchy, happy Sunday!

21-Jan-24
Most people do use both sides of their mouth to talk.

21-Jan-24
Being blinded by hate is a sad thing ! One of the traits of severe narcissists is a total lack of empathy for others !1

21-Jan-24
Being blinded by ignorance is a close second....

21-Jan-24
Hate keeps me warm! You have no idea the the people I hate! Now you might.

21-Jan-24
Grouchy, careful, you are sounding a bit hateful. We’d all rather not see you become a hateful narcissist.

21-Jan-24
Grouch you warned us you would go away discussion on the truth about crossgun didn't cease and desist. See ya...

27-Jan-24
I am also frustrated, no reply to any of the emails I sent out. I will be sending another to my local rep to let him know that I voted for him and will not continue to do so if he can't find time to respond. Its been over 2 weeks.

27-Jan-24
I got two reply’s back that were of the generic brand. My local persons aid replied back and one of the co-authors aids replied back for them. I can’t figure that a state legislator receives that much contact from their district member that they can’t reply with a more personal letter at least related to the concern or interest.

27-Jan-24
I've done the same with a response that was nothing more than a form letter. Nothing pertaining to what I wrote.

27-Jan-24
Neither of my boys have gotten any response back yet.

27-Jan-24

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
I’m not sure who this gentleman is that responded to my question? But if they are afraid to offend the crossbow crowd. Bowhunters in this state have no representation and have been duped into thinking so.

27-Jan-24
Will, if this is true, and they say nothing in writing, then they have said plenty. I'm afraid the WBH will eventually morph into the WCBH, because this club had its members due to exclusivity, and sorry, but today everyone caves to the minority which in turn creates a majority of people who are nothing of what we once were, and they will continue to lose members who shoot a vertical bow, or once did, but literally cannot any longer. That gentleman's caveat was exactly what the WBH is saying....."and before anyone attacks me, I am not against the use of crossbows". I don't think anyone here is against them entirely, but there are a few levels to contend with. They should be available for those who cannot draw a bow. They should be available to those who want to use them, but separate their seasons and adjust their season if proven it is having a negative impact. They should be available to people, but the season should be specified no differently than the 9 day, muzzle loader, and bow, but most importantly, shortened. They should be for anyone, period. They should be banished entirely. I'm of the party that says to the state of Wisconsin, do your research correctly, and differentiate the two. Adjust their season if necessary, but I'm damn too cynical to have faith that anyone in the Government cares enough to hold any particular party accountable, and instead, hold everyone accountable to a lesser standard. I'm very lucky I have what I have, and why I'll likely unplug from society entirely, just to keep my sanity lol.

27-Jan-24
If you look at Wisconsin Bowhunters Association membership numbers compared to bowhunting licenses sold, it's very evident few people ever gave a damn to begin with. An organization with such little support can't work miracles. We are way past the point of no return. Do you guys really believe anyone is listening or cares anymore?

27-Jan-24
I wish people were as passionate then as they or some seem to be now.

I'm laughing and crying now because I'm going to quote the quote given to me when they started this usage.... the ship has sailed

27-Jan-24
There are not many true bowhunters left. Sure they may still own a bow but it largely collects dust in favor of the scoped and cocked. You can see that right here on this forum.

27-Jan-24
Ill never change my opinion on that. That ship did sail Pete. It's just nearing that horizon where you can no longer see it, and even when you yell real loud, the passengers can no longer hear you.

27-Jan-24
You were lucky in WI to end up with a separate weapon lisc. for crossbows. At least that way the harvest could be tracked. MN was by permit only, then anyone over 60 for 3-4 years now its anyone and everyone as they slipped it into an omnibus bill. No public comment, debate, data review. Just put it in a bill approved with a load of other changes.

I've done it once I will do it again comparatively it's no different than making all harvest methods for fishing legal. That's right snagging, spearing, harpooning, trapping, netting , poisoning allowed. It's just fishing and who cares what method someone else uses, all anglers need to stick together(sound familiar?). The efforts of Leopold, Roy Case, Pope and Young, et. al. to get archery seasons established, rekindle the archery fraternal spirit and fair chase/harvest -are all being disrespected.

Soon the efforts of all anglers trying to self-regulate and establish fair harvest will be disrespected as well. So sorry Izaak Walton, Ralph Cole, and William Scrope.

Fish and wildlife are a public resource, we hunt and fish as part of that management process, and we trust the govt. to listen to the public user input. However, one can certainly argue that big corporations, mfg.,etc. can violate that public trust doctrine to create a private industry profit. The end users need to have a venue to have that discussion (public forums, user surveys, harvest data review by third party, etc.) not just a bill sponsored by an industry lobbyist or even worse, a omnibus bill.

We don't live in a democracy where the majority always wins. We live in a Republic where every group has input. The Lacey Act and others like it protect the public resources. Without that hunting, fishing and the great conservation successes would probably cease to exist.

27-Jan-24
Very true Pete.

27-Jan-24
This is a great day . The deer hunt and being able to kill deer is important to me . As I age I need to use a crossbow if I want to continue to hunt deer and kill deer. More that , it's my right and I earned this . The use of the crossbow prsents nor constitutes any risk to the archery season period . Also , as a senior my decision to use a crossbow has no influence on younger hunters at all .

27-Jan-24
Rather than redefining archery , just change the name of the hunt , call it what it is .

28-Jan-24
Many have dropped out of bowhunting, and now utilize crossbow bolt machines to harvest their deer.

28-Jan-24
Missouribreaks....You deserve an Indian name; I will call you "Nakusha" it fits you best.

28-Jan-24
Why is it the Rs have been or are behind the x-gun, at the beginning there was a D female that voted against the x-gun; now the airgun. I have been an independent since Regan blew up the middle class (bring it on and get educated) and detest the DNC's progressivism but the Rs have done more damage to hunting than any other party. What good have they done for the public land hunter, nothing, when coming to hunting the Rs have taken the progressive road, money talks and BS walks with this party. The best solution is just a generic deer season, one big tent so everyone will be happy. Enjoy the hunt-JJ

28-Jan-24
Missouri, we can always count on you for cutting edge news. Very few of us public land hunters have WI-FI in our caves. I'll head out and send a smoke signal to the neighbors letting them know about the crossbow thing...

28-Jan-24
Once again- It’s not the seniors and disabled that’s the problem. Thier should be permits for people that can’t physically participate.

It’s the 30 year old able bodied to lazy to put a little into somethin participant that should be restricted to any weapon season with thier crossguns.

Thier will be a tipping point eventually in Wisconsin deer hunting. It will take getting the crypt keeper out of madison

28-Jan-24
Back in the 60's, 70's, 80's, the WBH was a quality and thriving organization. Guessing at the time, maybe 14,000 to 15,000 members. Starting in the 90's and with changes in management, they started digging their own hole. As the years moved on, the hole got deeper. When the crossbow movement became more prevalent, the way they addressed it and the tactics they used to oppose crossbows was the breaking point. They have declined to the point, that they no longer publicize their membership numbers. Yeh, their ship has sailed, but they were at the helm.

28-Jan-24
Tell us Oldie, what did the bowhunters do and what should they have done?

28-Jan-24
I think bowhunters should have kept hunting with bows and arrows, rather than funding the crossbow movement by purchasing ??? You guessed it, a crossbow. If you purchased a crossbow, the decline of bowhunting is on you.

28-Jan-24
Nakusha, lol

28-Jan-24
Nakusha no like crossbows, able bodied users are lazy, not bowhunters.

28-Jan-24
CaptMike, the solution to the bowhunters that fingers should remain on the string, very simple and we wouldn't be in this position if it was or in 1971 the compound could have been ban but the dedication factor is too high for many; the barn door was left open and no going back now unless all the whitetail die off, just think what a wooded 40 be worth.

28-Jan-24
JJS, I agree. I wanted to hear words of wisdoms from Oldie who seems to know everything and lobbies for crossbow use.

28-Jan-24
Oldie quoted opinions above, not facts. With regard to membership levels, the greatest WBH membership occurred in 1993 and not in the "...60's, 70's, and 80's..." as he stated. Further the greatest annual WBH membership list ever contained the names of 11,043 members and not the "...14,000 to 15,000..." he mentioned. Further, he implies the WBH has a policy of not listing recent or the latest membership level because it is so low. This implication is simply not true. The annual membership level has routinely been listed in THE BOWHUNTER magazine on a regular level. They have made no secret of the fact the members ship level has diminished over the years. A year or so ago it was down to approximately 4,300 members. At present it is closer to 4,600 members. There is no doubt the WBH has lost members and could be a larger organization. However, it is and always has been the largest state organization of bowhunters in the US and has done more to promote, preserve, and protect bowhunting in Wisconsin than any individual on this forum or any other bowhunting group in our state.

28-Jan-24
Thank you Bill

28-Jan-24
Thanks for the facts, Bill. If anyone would know, it would be you.

28-Jan-24

LTL JimBow 's embedded Photo
LTL JimBow 's embedded Photo
There are not many soldiers left now . Just a few left holding a bow and a WBH membership card . Sorry Roy .

28-Jan-24
How many life members are dead ?

28-Jan-24
None. The WBH does not keep the names of deceased members on their membership rolls. The WBHF (WI Bowhunting Heritage Foundation) does research and record the names of numerous past WBH members for their historical bowhunting contributions over the years. The most prominent one is, of course, Roy I. Case, but there are scores of others. The WBHF even has a program whereby an individual bowhunter may be memorialized on an engraved plaque in the WI Bowhunting Museum.

28-Jan-24

28-Jan-24
Thank you Bill

28-Jan-24
Nice to have the record set straight. Now oldie, tell us, in your opinion, how did the Bowhunters dig their hole over the crossbow issue?

29-Jan-24
Oldhunter to set the record straight ,,,,,, The wbh has never been against xguns ,,, In fact they helped establish the lesser weapon law which allow EVERYONE to use a xgun in any gun season... The wbh will not allow xgun or rifle kills to be registered with them same with P/Y . Totally different weapons then vertical bows. Xguns users are still allowed to join the wbh. The wbh wants the different licenses and registration to be able to keep track of the success rate for future conflicts. Big money and greed have fueled the xgun influx. Always funny how xgun users play the pitty card and hide their usage.

29-Jan-24
"Always funny how xgun users play the pitty card and hide their usage." Ain't that the truth.

29-Jan-24
Arrow1,,,,,good solid post, solid info.

29-Jan-24
It is odd the WBH would want scoped crossbow hunters to join. Crossbows are not bows, and of course crossbow hunters are not bowhunters. Why cater to a non bowhunting group ? Just trying to understand.

29-Jan-24
Strength In Numbers,,,,,,, They just have restrictions for their members like any organization. Pretty EZ to understand.

29-Jan-24
Then it may as well be called "Wisconsin Hunters" and represent all hunting, not just bowhunting. Strength in numbers !

29-Jan-24
If the majority of WBH members become crossbow hunters ( following current trending) then the organization will morph into representing crossbows, not so much bowhunters. That will become strength in numbers for crossbows, NOT bow and arrow hunting. In reality, it appears the organization is already there.

29-Jan-24
Call it what you like...... restriction are restriction..... by laws are by laws.

29-Jan-24
Everyone keeps talking about strength in numbers... we need to unite.....What other hunting groups ever stood up for protecting archery season? Let's call it like it is... What these people really mean is we need to sacrifice bowhunting for the greater good of all other hunting. No thanks...

29-Jan-24
More pissing and moaning from the “archery only” crowd. Don’t you ever get sick of constantly whining on here? It’s called bowsite, not archerysite. Go start your own forum and keep all those no good crossbow guys out of it. Quit ruining this one.

29-Jan-24
It sounds like the WBH welcomes scoped crossbow hunters as members, and therefore on this forum.

29-Jan-24
You sure are bright Nakusha.

29-Jan-24
Prove me wrong, somebody please. Read what people here have posted.

29-Jan-24
Does the WBH welcome crossbow hunters? If yes, as others have clearly indicated, what happens when the crossbow members outnumber bowhunters , would the WBH then be mostly the WCBH ?

29-Jan-24
You missed it but said it, your so bright posting what’s already been said multiple times on here.

29-Jan-24
I am looking for an official comment, not hearsay, or opinions. Please inform Nakusha and other perspective members ?

29-Jan-24
Go away Misserybeak!

29-Jan-24
Grubby, you looking for big hug and a verse of Kumbaya? It’s a freaken archery site!

29-Jan-24
Grub, I'll be "archery only" during bow season for the duration... I couldnt care less what make believe bowhunters like you think...

29-Jan-24
I am hoping WBH Assoc will be proactive with a email, phone alert to members about the bill and how to contact their respective legislators. Consider giving them some encouragement. 715 823 4670 WBH Association office, call to find out what their plan is?

29-Jan-24
What good would that do?I posted above about contacting the co-authors and your local legislator and tell them your thoughts and I know of only one member here that has done so. I saw no information from WBH, and there was no opposition to the Air Bow which is now a legal weapon for bear hunting. Now that, that door has been opened it will just be a matter of time before it encroaches into the archery season. There are lots of model sporting organizations that advance their agendas and bring thousands of dollars to do so that WBH could follow. Many scoff at the Bear hunters but they damn sure are getting it done for their membership and not just throwing a banquet once a year. Has any board member contacted the WBHA to build a relationship for a stronger WBH and maybe work together so they understand on how some of their advancements affect other forms of hunting? Being a retired houndsman and a club rep for the Little Wolf River and the Northern WI. Houndsmen associations I attended many board meetings and saw just how well they got things done and was there when they hired the Welch Group for being their lobbyist. All with the same membership numbers of WBH. Did WBH get the archery and crossbow seasons separate from each other or was that the work of Ron Kulas (sp?) WBH can’t sit on their hands and live on what they did in the past they’re/we are getting left behind to the point there is nothing to save anymore and beyond damage control.

30-Jan-24
Mike Brust and Kaz were both very instrumental in getting the separate license, as was Jeff Geitner. These guys all fought very hard against the money and power the NRA brought to the table. And yes, they attempted working with the Bear hunters. What they got for that effort was to be used and lied to by Scott Meyer, who was acting on behalf of the Bear hunters. You might remember Meyer as the conniving person who supported Scott Walker and then got caught trying to hide a half million dollar fund Walker was making available to various sporting organizations throughout the state. Some very sleazy politics by the Bear Hunters.

30-Jan-24
Capt,, You are correct !!! I have first hand knowledge of what went down. The wbha twice promised to support us on xgun laws they turned their face both times after the wbh supported them.

30-Jan-24
Grub, funny thing is, if you search for crossbow hunting forums, bowsite does not appear in the search. wonder why that is? If you search for archery forums, no crossbow sites appear. Wonder why that is? I am dumbfounded.

30-Jan-24
Grub, kind of lost everyone there. Pat the owner of this site will even state he will not advertise or condone the use of xguns. This is a bowsite/archerysite/people who shoot/hunt with bows and arrows site/real bows and real arrows site, what every you want to call hunting with draw anchor and release bows. If you need to use an xgun for age or disability, so be it. But, don't come on here toting about them. Kind of like me going onto a bicycling site saying my motorized dirt bike is the same because it has 2 wheels so I should be included. In a sense, you are coming onto a vertically drawn bow and arrow shooting/hunting site and whining about it.

30-Jan-24
Valid. L2H, would that said bicycle site have the ability to bring up motorized bikes even though pro motorized people were not allowed to? The truth is, I understand the disdain for those not in support of full inclusion, but there is also a lot of the topic brought up by those not in support. Of course it could be argued (like this topic), that people want to bring up possible changes or actions that should be made aware of to those who only support one version. I'm not as bothered by those who disagree with me, because I'm aware that no matter how much either side of any disagreement tries to convince the opposition that they have it wrong, that it rarely changes anyone's mind. Therefore, I sort of stay out of it, knowing it doesn't help change the true issue in the first place. Similar to politics. I have friends who just see it differently than I do. So, we just don't bother with that topic, because it only riles things up unnecessarily. That, and I expect at least half the populous to disagree with my viewpoint on everything lol. That doesn't mean I bury my head in the sand, or lack drive. It means I'd rather spend my energy elsewhere, and somewhere where I could in fact make an impact. There are people I just won't chat with or respond to, because I'm either more clever than them, or they're not worth it, and nothing gets accomplished. It's probably better to converse with like-minded people.

30-Jan-24
And I agree, that crossbow people (especially able bodied people), could find a forum more suited to them. Humans do like to be disagreeable though.

30-Jan-24

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo

30-Jan-24
Thanks Mike, I have to admit I withdrew being a club Rep about 12 years ago when I took a new position at work that was an off hours position and didn’t want to burn up 12 vacation days for the monthly meetings so I was out before the crossbow issue came to light and would have known what they the WBHA’s board was up to if they were upfront and presented it in the Reps meetings.

30-Jan-24
Arrow. That's funny

30-Jan-24
Will, I get it. Getting involved in any volunteer club or organization can be a huge time commitment.

31-Jan-24
Pete, when a guy comes to a bowhunting site and is triggered by the word "archery", it's got nothing to do with differing opinions. He's just a troll and should be treated as such...

31-Jan-24
Retro, I gotta agree. What purpose do they have other than to push an agenda?

31-Jan-24
One can tell from the posts there are many closet crossbowers on the Wisconsin site.

31-Jan-24
Ok Miss. you have made the accusation of xgun usage base on your first hand knowledge. Give us the list of the closet xguns users on here................. Waiting.....................

31-Jan-24
Fo your own homework. Some have actually admitted it in previous threads and posts.

31-Jan-24
Do

31-Jan-24
If admitted previously how does that make them ''closet". You talk through your.....

31-Jan-24
Because they enter new bowhunting threads when they are not bowhunters. Many do not review previous threads. Only bowhunters should be on this forum, at least in my humble opinion. One of the biggest posters here, in previous threads has admitted to being a crossbow hunter yet continues to post on a bowhunting forum. Who here owns or has hunted with a scoped crossbow ? Be honest ! Not me.

31-Jan-24
I bet some will claim to do both, lol, lol.

31-Jan-24
I don't even have a compound anymore, so no, never will. I can't ever see not shooting a bow, I enjoy it too much.

31-Jan-24
No compound or crossbow here either.

31-Jan-24
Capt, All I know is when you have to defend yourself your being a dedicated bowhunter on a bowhunting site, its time to end the political correctness. I've had enough of these fruitcakes....

31-Jan-24
I guess that's me. I killed everything this season, with my xbow. Had alot of fun. Make no apology for that. If I get back to vertical, I do, if I don't, I keep hunting.

I like this site to exchange hunting info and ideas. Even if I could use vertical, I will use xbow for bear.

My emphasis is hunting, tracking etc. I do not consider myself an Archer, just a hunter.

And really who cares. I don't hunt to pound my chest, just have a fun day outside.

Be out today, for last day of season.

31-Jan-24
I use to be a bowhunter until my shoulders took a crap. I used a crossbow for the last five years. Using a crossbow to me are the most anti climatic hunts I've ever done, but it kept me in the woods doing something I love to do-hunting deer.

31-Jan-24
Yessir Retro, the “me, me, me” mindset is harming so much more than just bowhunting.

31-Jan-24
Comparing the two sounds like its long overdue in Wisconsin. The experiment is over. The sky didn't fall. All that has been impacted are some egos...................... Everyone can still choose to hunt with with whatever arrow flinging contraption they want to.

31-Jan-24
Dpms from Pennsylvania has spoken. Lol I guess it's time for silence now!

31-Jan-24
"Only bowhunters should be on this forum, at least in my humble opinion."

Kinda curious when one is considered a bowhunter? If someone hunts with a longbow, compound and crossbow, are they a bowhunter and can post here or can't post here because sometimes they use a crossbow?

31-Jan-24
He is a paid spokesperson that keeps a close eye wisconsin from PA. Olddude musta alerted him.

31-Jan-24
"He is a paid spokesperson that keeps a close eye wisconsin from PA. "

I got to give ya credit for not shying away from repeating lies. I wish I could find those paychecks.

31-Jan-24
Pasq that makes sense due to only commenting in crossbow threads.

31-Jan-24
"Pasq that makes sense due to only commenting in crossbow threads."

Might make sense to some but the assumption is false. I just like to check in from time to time to see what nonsense is being spewed this time. I do enjoy my job in healthcare though.

31-Jan-24
Well, dpms, we seem to have a crash in the deer populations in the public forests. Let me guess, it is the winter kill that did them in, oh wait, go somewhere else if there are no deer. Do you have any thought that since wolves and xgun full inclusion the deer population on public forest lands have gotten to unhuntable status?

31-Jan-24
Oh no you didn't.... Live you never ever insult the intelligence of DP or Oldie. Be prepared for a long explanation or a great right turn of topic to avoid common sense. He is in the medical field ( growing maybe?) and all about the need for facts to substantiate and nothing else. He thinks with his mind and not his heart blah blah blah blah blah. CHA CHING....

31-Jan-24
"Well, dpms, we seem to have a crash in the deer populations in the public forests. Let me guess, it is the winter kill that did them in, oh wait, go somewhere else if there are no deer. Do you have any thought that since wolves and xgun full inclusion the deer population on public forest lands have gotten to unhuntable status?"

Been following that. My opinion is that wolves, habitat and winters are the drivers of the deer populations in northern MN, WI, and MI. Hunter harvest takes a back seat to the above. History has shown that archery(yes crossbows too) only special hunts on their own are ineffective at controlling deer populations so any harvest by archery/crossbows is likely a low contributing factor to declining populations.

31-Jan-24
LOL

31-Jan-24
I told you Live! Hahaha!

31-Jan-24
Emotions get the best of some folks on certain topics.

31-Jan-24
lol!! Nice to see the trolls alive and well!

31-Jan-24
Interesting. A thread about crossbows but those talking about crossbows and deer numbers are "trolls". As I said, emotions guiding the way.

31-Jan-24
Yup, same ole mumbo jumbo.

31-Jan-24
History has shown that archery(yes crossbows too) only special hunts on their own are ineffective at controlling deer populations so any harvest by archery/crossbows is likely a low contributing factor to declining populations.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Show me the modern day study,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

31-Jan-24
dpms, The most emotional people on here are trolls like you who can't grasp the concept of archery...Those mental gymnastics going on in your mind must be exhausting...

31-Jan-24
I've seen what a crew of xgunners can do to a couple hundred acre parcel of county forest in a few years. First year they left 6 dead unfound deer that were found during the gun season. The area has been void of deer for a few years now.

31-Jan-24
I have a public parcel across the road from my residence. The stupidness starts opening of dove season, then it’s the squirrels, the bow opener, then the gun seasons. They show up in mini vans and jump out like thier in a clown car- can’t fit another one n thier. Thier weapons are extended magazine shotguns, .22 with banana clips, xguns, and ARS. That property is a desert wasteland, not a tweetie bird to be had

31-Jan-24
"dpms, The most emotional people on here are trolls like you who can't grasp the concept of archery...Those mental gymnastics going on in your mind must be exhausting..."

Exhausting? I do get a little muscle fatigue after sending 20 arrows downrange with my Allegheny Mountain longbow. The group size tends to open up some. Whats really helped me with my shooting lately is gap shooting. Been playing with some different arrow lengths there. Got a pretty good grasp on archery. The deer I have killed with compounds would probably agree as well.

31-Jan-24
"Show me the modern day study,"

Food for thought for those that are able to think objectively and un-emotionally. Every game agency in the country, even those with crossbow inclusion, uses firearms harvest as their primary management tool. If there were not firearm deer seasons, deer numbers would not be controlled by archery hunters. Just a history lesson there that fits modern times. Archery is a ineffective management tool. Archery seasons exist to provide sport and opportunity for those that enjoy it. So, you see, archery/crossbow harvest is not a controlling factor to deer population dynamics.

Over and out till the next crossbow thread where some here don't like to talk about crossbows, lol...............

31-Jan-24
So you take the easy route with the xbow from exhaustion with longbow.

Correction: What's really helped me "lately" is xgun shooting

31-Jan-24
“ Over and out till the next crossbow thread where some here don't like to talk about crossbows, lol...............”. I think the troll just verified what many of us think.

01-Feb-24
dpms, you are correct and we all have stated that archery was not meant for herd control. Putting gun type weapons in everyone's hands that wants to for an extended period of time can effects the herd though. But, yes, hand drawn/held till release/normal real bows were not meant for herd control, the season was started for the challenge and extended through time because of the weapon and the challenge. I guess today's society does not like to work for gain so in comes the xgun to just kill not have to challenge yourself to hunt, just kill the easiest way. Kind of makes it boring in my eyes.

01-Feb-24
""the season was started for the challenge and extended through time because of the weapon and the challenge. I guess today's society does not like to work for gain so in comes the xgun to just kill not have to challenge yourself to hunt, just kill the easiest way. Kind of makes it boring in my eyes."",,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Very true comment!!!!!!

01-Feb-24
"I guess today's society does not like to work for gain so in comes the xgun to just kill not have to challenge yourself to hunt, just kill the easiest way. Kind of makes it boring in my eyes."

Actually, this is not a new concept. The indians drove buffalo off of cliffs. My grandfathers and many in that generation hunted for meat and not the sport of it. Many hunters do not hunt for the challenge of it. The majority of archery hunters today pick up the bang sticks when that season opens, preferring the easier way to kill and killing then takes priority. There are some that prefer to stick to flintlock muzzleloaders or recurves in firearms seasons. They are hunting for the challenge.

The point is one's goals and desires only belong to that that one person. We all hunt for different reasons and that is the reality of the situation. The guy sitting on the stump on the side of the road watching a cornfield with the 7mm mag is hunting how he chooses to hunt. I respect him being out there and I wish him well.

Folks that have to continually disparage how others hunt or what others use to hunt, instead of having a real discussion about why a certain weapon or hunting technique is bad for the sport or the resource, are only trying to stroke their own egos.

01-Feb-24
"The guy sitting on the stump on the side of the road watching a cornfield with the 7mm mag is hunting how he chooses to hunt" For 5 months? I believe with that 7mm he has 9 days for sure and most years may hit the end of the rut and what is the worst time to be deer hunting, then a couple doe hunts. Now all can pick up a gun and hunt the main part of the rut and the best times to be deer hunting. Now, I don't give a rats ass if private land hunters could use a rifle or a missile launcher 365 days a year, but on public lands, all these feel good measures by the government kill/killed the deer hunting. Your points are moot at the least.

01-Feb-24
"For 5 months? I believe with that 7mm he has 9 days for sure and most years may hit the end of the rut and what is the worst time to be deer hunting, then a couple doe hunts. Now all can pick up a gun and hunt the main part of the rut and the best times to be deer hunting."

Thank you for making my points, lol. That is why rifle seasons are shorter. A much more efficient weapon for harvesting deer and why game agencies use firearms seasons to manage deer. Archery seasons, even with crossbows, are low impact. As far as the rut, I assume by gun you are talking about crossbows? Thanks for making another point. Since crossbows are legal in many states during the rut and the seasons are still quite long and actually expanding in some cases, the efficiency of that weapon and other bows is low compared to firearms.

Thank you for that.

01-Feb-24
DPMS, you’d fit in well with the Biden administration.

01-Feb-24
Most here are not here to disparage the use of crossbows but to object to their inclusion into a well established archery season. The crossbow effect is a detriment to the archery season, archery clubs, buck population. The use of crossbows should be regulated accordingly. Hopefully this not about personalities.

01-Feb-24
Glunker +1 CaptMike +1

01-Feb-24
"Most here are not here to disparage the use of crossbows but to object to their inclusion into a well established archery season."

I completely respect that. Conversations can be had without the school yard behavior and ego stroking. I would agree that crossbows have negatively impacted archery clubs. I would also argue that some, not all, archery clubs have also made their declines more rapid due to their approach to crossbows.

01-Feb-24
"Most here are not here to disparage the use of crossbows but to object to their inclusion into a well established archery season." And the length of their season and calling or referring to xguns as ARCHERY OR BOWHUNTING.

01-Feb-24
Swifties can justify anything.

• Sitka Gear