sitO 11-Feb-24
KB 11-Feb-24
sitO 11-Feb-24
KB 11-Feb-24
buckscent 11-Feb-24
Buckdeer 12-Feb-24
17-Jan-24

The Kid's Link
Some new legislation you all might want to look at.

This is NDA’s stance on HB 2079

17-Jan-24
I’m not a resident, so I guess I can’t respond to this. Who came up with this idiocy?

17-Jan-24
Just can't quit trying to make a bad situation worse, which "wizard" introduced this I wonder?

17-Jan-24
Dale, I would let the fact that you are a NR prevent you from voicing your opinion.

17-Jan-24
Retaliation for talking about banning corn? A couple of lawmakers promised going over the budge with a fine tooth comb to find ways to cut and hurt the department. This would certainly hurt department revenue. Adding 7 days to the front of rifle season would hurt mature buck age structure significantly but would probably put quick money into outfitter and lessor pockets.

17-Jan-24
I smell Corbet all over this.

17-Jan-24
Ok, Chris, I’ll respond.

17-Jan-24
Is this the same bill they tried to get through last year at this time? It carries the same number.

17-Jan-24
Rep Blex said Corbet is definitely behind this.

17-Jan-24
it's not easy enough to kill them with rifles at feeders and corn piles that can be seen from mars we need to scoot closer to the rut when they're more likely to be on their feet in the day time...all about the almighty dollar like so many other things that are unfortunate in current times

18-Jan-24

KB's Link
I’m not seeing anything new on 2079? Wouldn’t be surprised at all if it’s attempted once again. I can’t find anything about it that isn’t a year old though?

18-Jan-24
Rifles Chern? It's made killing a buck with a bow into something anybody can do.

18-Jan-24
In the original link posted it mentioned moving rifle season up a week

02-Feb-24

KB's Link
Couple new ones in the works (2671/2672). Real doozies.

02-Feb-24
All sponsored by Corbet, an outfitter.

02-Feb-24
Lowering the NR hunting license by $102 blows me away. Would be a direct hit of ~$6million and also a significant change to federal dollars the state receives. It’s almost like they’re just trying to mess with KDWP I guess.

02-Feb-24
Thanks Kaleb...... I swear that guy is so greasy. Just wish he was in my district to vote him out.

03-Feb-24
I’ll send some good emails to my reps. It won’t be anything like the email I sent to snake corbet.

03-Feb-24
As a non-resident hunter, I think lowering the tag cost is a mistake. I happy to pay the current amount, as long as wiha stays in play.

And I’d even go so far as to say, nr tags could be reduced. I , like a lot of other folks, have seen the numbers and quality of bucks go down.

03-Feb-24
Ratoney if you have seen the quality and numbers go down why do you keep coming or want to come?

03-Feb-24
I’m not Ratoney, but have seen the quantity and quality fall off a cliff the past 10 or so years. I keep coming back because I own land in Ks and hunt it. And I get to hunt with my brothers that still live there.

03-Feb-24
Response from Mr Corbet to my email yesterday.

“These 2 bills are sportsman and landowner friendly. Remember landowners are also Kansas Residents and raise and feed over 97% of all Kansas Wildlife for free. And click the link below - the Governor says that hunting is great for Ks and Tourism.Call me anytime 785-224-0357”

Also included a short video that claimed Gov Kelly kept 21,000 nonresidents from hunting last year which cost Kansas businesses $31million.

Pretty much what I expected from him.

03-Feb-24
Part of my response. These guys (Mr “I’m going to strip $1million from the KDWP if baiting is banned” Bloom was involved as well) aren’t smart enough to weigh the unintended consequences. Only focused on their personal situations and dressing it up as good deeds for the thousands of Kansas they assume think like them.

“With all due respect Mr Corbet, these bills are not entirely sportsmen and landowner friendly. A study on the K-State Ag Manager website shows nonresident ownership of Kansas ag lands is growing rapidly. We’re closing in on 20% of all lands owned by out of staters and well over 50% of Kansas landowners now live outside the county the property resides. So to say that Kansas landowners feed 97% of the wildlife is false. Kansas producers feed the wildlife, but as you can tell from those statistics Kansas producers and Kansas landowners are an increasingly separate group of folks. Including transferable tag benefits to landowners only incentivizes further outside money to come in and compete with Kansas producers who live and work locally across the state. Land values could be inflated more so than we’ve already seen and those local producers will find it harder and harder to invest in local real estate for their operations.”

Won’t matter with those two characters, but have to try I suppose. Unless a lot more people start showing up and speaking out, myself included, they’ll find someway to sneak this bs through one of these days. Probably by stacking the commission in their favor.

03-Feb-24
That’s a LOT nicer than what I sent him. The snake makes my skin crawl.

03-Feb-24
Kaleb: glad to see people like you are keeping track even tho not a resident. Have just ended my 54th KS archery season and the recent evolution in deer herd and legislation are alarming to me, just not like we used to hunt. Seems like the greatest harm was done in 1995 when NR was opened up and baiting and blinds moved in from TX along with money and leasing, Corbet is a huge promoter of the same. Wish we had more KBA people contributing here but is seems like too many have given up on Bowsite. KBA 51st convention is later this month in Manhattan REALLY encourage nonmembers to try to stop by.

03-Feb-24
Deerdummy,

To answer your question, I come out to see relatives and out of tradition. And depending on how this year goes, I may indeed choose not to hunt Kansas.

Have you not seen the herd decline? Cause the residents I’ve talked to have all agreed the numbers and quality have declined .

04-Feb-24
KB, interesting stat re non Ks resident land owners I would not have guessed that big of percentage of land owners are non Kansans. However, I think a more accurate analysis would look at the acreage owned by residents vs non residents. I’m guessing lots of non residents own pretty small parcels of land. While lots of resident farmer/ranchers own 1000s of acres. But maybe that doesn’t really matter in the grand scheme of things.

04-Feb-24
Dale, if you have OnX scan the Flint Hills and southern counties west of Wichita. Many of the largest ranches in the state are owned by non Kansans. Rumor is the largest in the state just sold from a Kansas family to some Texas money. This would be a wild guess but I’d say somewhere around 30-40% of the largest parcels (6000+ acres) are held by outsiders. To back that up though, there is a document out there that breaks down ownership percentages by county and and many of the regions with big ranches skew much higher in nonresident ownership than state averages. You may be right in that the average resident landowner still owns more acres than the average nonresident. Have not seen anything in that regard, but at the end of the day 20% is 20%.

I didn’t add it to my email but should’ve driven the point home by mentioning how historically many young/new producers would buy marginal ground as it was the most affordable. With rec values skyrocketing that’s become less and less of an option. Throw in a transferable tag value on every property with deer habitat and that’s probably completely out the window. And it goes without saying there’s no way for a young guy to compete for the premium farm ground these days either.

04-Feb-24
KB, thanks. I don’t have Onx but trust you and your statement. I am surprised by the fact that lots of big ranches are owned by non Kansas resident. But the facts are the facts. I bought land in Ks 14 years ago, primarily as investment and diversification of my investments. It is land that adjoins the family farm that I grew up on. So my brother that farms there could monitor and manage it. As it turned out, with some food plots it was developed into a great pheasant property and a fair deer property. The killer summer of 2012 and loss of lots of CRP in the area devastated the pheasants and deer numbers have dropped dramatically.

05-Feb-24
I just did a quick check for landowners in Chase County. A lot of the pasture land is owned by people or companies from out of state. Edward Bass of the billionaire Bass brothers from Texas owns over 33,000 acres in Chase County. They have more land under control that is titled differently. This is just one of many large out of state owners in Chase County. A few years ago there was 160 acres for sale by auction that was bordered on three sides by the Bass properties. When the price got to near the point where it would sell the local land manager for Ed Bass started bidding. He ended buying it for Edward Bass. When an area landowner talked to the land manager later, he was told that Mr. Bass just told him to buy it. He did not set a price limit.

05-Feb-24
Every piece of property that has come up for sale within 10 miles of my place in CQ County has been purchased by guys from FL, GA, TX, LA, & AR, in the past 5 years. Acreages vary from just over 100 acres, to 1000. Some of these properties have already sold twice during that period. Average price is about $2700/ac for lots of rocks, trees, and a little bit of grass. The deer hunting has declined so much that even these guys are complaining there are no bucks of any size, yet they keep shooting the 120-130 inch 2 or 3 year old 8 pt. If they get to start selling tags, even these will be hard to find. Corbett's current term expires next January. Even if you don't live in his district, there should be an effort to help get someone else elected, as long as they aren't worse.

05-Feb-24

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Here’s a slide from that presentation I referenced. Believe this data was from 2015 though, so some of these figures are likely significantly lower today. They claimed of roughly 9million acres that changed hands between ‘15-‘22 over 30% was purchased by non Kansans. Chase is certainly tops in NR ownership of all counties not touching a state line. I believe the two biggest ranches in Morris Co have changed hands since then as well. One to the Mormon church and another to a Colorado deer hunter. And the biggest in the state just sold to outside money it sounds like.

Anyway, got a nice response from Rep Carlin. She won’t be supporting Corbet’s bills.

06-Feb-24
https://advocacy.deerassociation.com/ks-hb2672/transferabletags/

Another Action Thread from NDA.

Easy to fill out and submit. I would still email your reps on top of this. It sounds like Corbitt wants to gut KDWP.

06-Feb-24

The Kid's Link

11-Feb-24
I keep getting brochures from hunter nation foundation, you know the guy that claims that he represents all the hunters of Kansas. He represents commercial hunting interests, is out to make money off the gullible and weekend warriors.

He's promoting House Bill 2582 as a good thing " so we can help get hunters on the Wildlife & Parks Commission". He promises 30 free Hunter Nation hat or t-shirt to those that come to the meeting to support it. Haha

If you are wondering why this is a bad thing? They want to have the ability to add Commissioners that support their agendas, allow them to help make the decisions concerning wildlife management, (access to NR buck tags if they were being truthful)

11-Feb-24
Trebarker, I was wondering if I was the only one getting their BS propaganda in the mail. I’ve got their postcards a couple times recently, nothing on there is hunter friendly or conservation friendly. Their board of directors is loaded with celebrity “hunters”. This organization represents only those who want an easy button and those who wish to line their pockets off of Kansas wildlife.

11-Feb-24
“He promises 30 free Hunter Nation hat or t-shirt to those that come to the MEETING to support it.”

Randy….what “meeting” are you specifically referencing…next Commissioner meeting or other?

11-Feb-24

KB's embedded Photo
KB's embedded Photo
Saw this on a social media post yesterday.

11-Feb-24
Might be mistaken but I seem to recall some guy from Hunter Nation being at that meeting I went to last August. If it’s the guy I’m thinking of I could smell him from the back row…he stunk of money. Pretty sure he’s the same one that kept standing there mocking the KPWD staff…I popped off and told him to sit down. I probably shouldn’t have done that and it wasn’t professional of me but people like that just irritate me.

Real Hunters…now ain’t that cute.

11-Feb-24

Trebarker's embedded Photo
Trebarker's embedded Photo
Same guy, struts around like he is an authority. I told him to go back to city, that I could see thru his curtain recognizing his BS claims

11-Feb-24
Kaleb, what was the response to that on social?

11-Feb-24
It’s on the Kansas Public Land Hunting page. Most of it was about how they acquired the addresses I think. Few guys saw through the BS/recognized the fellow from the commission meeting mentioned above.

11-Feb-24
Yeah, I'm no longer "allowed" on that page ;?)

11-Feb-24
Ah! Should’ve known. :)

11-Feb-24
Just sent a respectful letter to each of the committee members asking them to please refrain from self serving legislation, and to leave wildlife management to the capable KDWP.

12-Feb-24
I sent emails last week but no response

• Sitka Gear