Tmachado37 22-Jan-24
Tmachado37 22-Jan-24
Lunker 22-Jan-24
Will 22-Jan-24
Pi 23-Jan-24
Will 23-Jan-24
Steveeg 23-Jan-24
19-Jan-24
I found a spot possibly with no intrusion from others. Its in a neighboring town on post office land. Can I hunt it or pass through to get to the other side ? Now you talk.

19-Jan-24
No idea what postal regulations are regarding their land. I'd scout it a few times and see if I get arrested for trespassing ;-)

Hopefully you can stay 'out of sight and out of mind'.

19-Jan-24
If it's not posted I would scout and hunt but keep a low profile. Could be good.

19-Jan-24
I'm with Big Dog...

19-Jan-24
No federal laws ? Low profile is not a problem.

19-Jan-24
I wouldnt firearms hunt it, I think there is a sign in most post offices saying firearms are not allowed on the property - so I'd not take the chance to find out with a federal agent.

But with the bow... If there are no hunting restrictions in the town in question, it seems likely you could do it without to much trouble. Low profile for sure.

19-Jan-24
I'm going to say its a no-go area. there is a section above this that basically states there is no difference between 'real property' and store/sidewalk/parking owned or leased by USPS.

(l) Weapons and explosives. Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, rule or regulation, no person while on postal property may carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for official purposes.

so hunting on that land would be equivalent to walking into a Post Office building with a Bow & Arrow or firearm.

19-Jan-24
Maybe go to a post office in a different town to ask their opinion

19-Jan-24
Coug. Good idea. I know a few cops they probably will b no help but I'll check with them then may b I'll find out who's in charge at the PO. I can see a hickstick scenario where as I come out of and the swat is at my truck when I come out. Don't want that. That scenario isn't that far fetched in today's world.

19-Jan-24
You Can hunt anything until you’re told once to not hunt it, then the funs over.

19-Jan-24
Seeing Hicks post…..yup stay away.

19-Jan-24
If you were parking on post office land I feel like the chances of confrontation are higher but passing through or hunting in the woods I definitely would be a go until otherwise told

19-Jan-24
If you were parking on post office land I feel like the chances of confrontation are higher but passing through or hunting in the woods I definitely would be a go until otherwise told

19-Jan-24
I’m with hick. Federal land although unposted brings about its own set of challenges as it’s not state or city land. Not a battle I’d wanna fight in court

19-Jan-24
Hunt it. Sometimes it’s better to ask forgiveness than permission.

19-Jan-24
If you can ship a bow and arrows (I believe you can) you can then bring it onto postal property to do so.

When passing through the property, you could carry your bow and arrows in a box with the intention of sending it to yourself.

If you are stopped, you are then to explain why you didn't walk directly into the office. I felt sick ... I was distracted, I saw a cat ...

You are not hunting or even passing through . You are intending to send ,by post ,a bow and arrows but decided not to at this time.

20-Jan-24
That law that Hickstick posted seems like a pretty clear, unambiguous “no.”

20-Jan-24
Lunker, how big is the property in question? Can you access it without being seen from the facility? Fences? Security cameras? Is it a deer 'sanctuary' you can hunt close to?

20-Jan-24
I wouldn't hunt it any more than once or twice a season, then only when conditions were right. But if there was a good unobtrusive spot to park and it was unposted I'd disappear in there and hope to come out heavy at dark.

20-Jan-24
I’m perplexed how this can be debatable, given that law Hickstick posted.

20-Jan-24
Dana. As far as I can tell. What I've seen from the parking lot is. Parking is good. I could easily park and slip into the thickness. And it is thick. No fences or security. It's a pretty small facility. It backs up to a few privet posted fields. Looks promising from above.

20-Jan-24
Jeb. A poster on here pm ed me stating he has permission from the PO to hunt ! How would you explain that ?

20-Jan-24
Sounds like he decided getting permission was the way to go.

20-Jan-24
Permission always makes the hunt more enjoyable. Always

20-Jan-24
I'll amend my post after seeing Hicks - I thought it was just firearms. Weapons overall is a different concept, and I'd not take the chance.

20-Jan-24
How do you explain permission if it's not allowed ? Maybe it's up to the local Postmaster. There are signs around our local water department, but they don't enforce it at all. I'm thinking it's just to cover their tail-side, but not enforced.

Once again , how could you mail a weapon without braking the law ?

20-Jan-24
Pi our water land was posted too at home for about 8 years when I was 14-21/22 ish. Then it reopened cuz they posted it was legal to use but they never removed the signs. I just told everyone it was posted and they should stay off but I didn’t care about getting caught hahahahahah

20-Jan-24
U Sly deble u.

20-Jan-24
What a rebel

20-Jan-24
Only worked for so long

21-Jan-24

DanaC's Link
" Once again , how could you mail a weapon without braking the law ? "

FFL's do it all the time.

21-Jan-24
And we can send our bows and such ... How could that not be allowed on the property? Do we mail it to the post office ? :-)

22-Jan-24
Oh incidentally, does our present administration obey the law ? Considering we live under a two tier judicial system.....if there's any way you can hunt it, then go hunt.

22-Jan-24
So say we all!

22-Jan-24
So that area will no b pursued by me any time soon. Not much for sign ,deer sign. The far corner was occupied by a brand new elevated blind. The inside corner was occupied by a brand new ladder stand with florescent green straps. I'm assuming from a gun hunting postal employee.

22-Jan-24

Lunker's embedded Photo
Lunker's embedded Photo

22-Jan-24
That’s gutsy huh putting an elevated blind like that out, definitely not worried about being noticed

22-Jan-24
That’s gutsy huh putting an elevated blind like that out, definitely not worried about being noticed

22-Jan-24
Who's gonna be ....crazy enough to hunt federal land ?

22-Jan-24
Dang - someone put a box blind on it!

Pi, I'd ask because maybe it's okay, and weapons are only banned on part of the property. Worth a shot. There are a bunch of rules for mailed weapons that may answer the question, at least partly. There is a big difference between walking into the PO with a loaded pump 12ga slung over your shoulder and having an unloaded, locked weapon in a well-sealed case without ammo - which is the rule as best I recall it.

23-Jan-24
Exactly my point, Will, intention and a box. One could carry a box and intend to send a weapon, but got sidetracked ...

The law as written seems to say no weapons on the property and yet allow weapons to be there for "official purposes ". Not sure what that is.

Officially hunting ?

Is a bow considered a weapon ? Is unloaded acceptable ?

More questions should be asked of the local Post Master,... apparently there is already evidence that people are hunting there. Could passing through, while legally hunting, be an exception, such as passing across a public road while hunting ,ect...?

23-Jan-24
Ahhh, the good and bad of laws. It's pretty hard for most to cover every detail and requires expert interpretation, but sometimes the experts (postmaster, LEO perhaps in this case) may not really be sure and thus default to "NO" as a cover-my-butt sort of answer...

23-Jan-24
Thanksgiving day when there closed

• Sitka Gear