Matte 26-Jan-24
Thornton 27-Jan-24
KB 27-Jan-24
Thornton 28-Jan-24
KB 28-Jan-24
Catscratch 28-Jan-24
Ksgobbler 28-Jan-24
25-Jan-24
Quite interesting thus far. Outfitter wanting transferrable tags. Saying baiting will hurt his business cause he leases pastures. Asking about leftover turkey tags if they will be available. Haven't hit the meat of the meeting yet.

25-Jan-24
I think you meant to say "banning baiting"? Typical outfitter, only cares about himself, and exploiting as much as he/she can.

Will have to watch later, but mark specific times to focus on here if possible.

25-Jan-24
The outfitters are hard to listen to. They want and think they deserve everything they can get. Commissioner Sill was the only one in the room with enough backbone to tell that second fellow maybe he should look into what outfitters in other states do whose clientele have far more difficulty acquiring tags than NR deer hunters in Kansas. He didn’t comprehend though, and replied for about the fourth time that he just wants his 20 year rifles buddies “that love to watch corn piles” to be guaranteed the opportunity. Pathetic.

The same ol’ beer gut that got up before him loves to sling numbers but is really bad at math. Claimed he has 41 outfitters in his group that manage 12.5 million acres. They range from 12k to 46k acre operations though. That don’t pencil… His waterfowl comments made absolutely zero sense. Something about little Johnny, 39 landowners and leasing ponds. Pathetic.

25-Jan-24
You are correct. Banning baiting. Sounds like he is going through the legislature. A guy did stand up and say deer are a finite resource. The only thing that has changed is the amount of people that want to travel here to hunt them.

25-Jan-24
NR waterfowl regulations passed on public lands excluding wiha

25-Jan-24
Yeah, the guy that brought up Loyd and thanked the department was good. Wasn’t sure where he was headed at first, but nice message. Commissioner Sill was great. Between the comment I referenced above, talking about wildlife being a finite resource/increased demand as well, her thank you to staff at the end, and even drawing KBA for a commissioner tag that was the best performance I’ve seen from a commissioner in a while, haha!

26-Jan-24
Have visited with on more then one occassion and she is for real!

26-Jan-24
The man wanting 15 guaranteed tags for 2500 acres…..that is ridiculous!

26-Jan-24
Also there is now a bill to increase the size of the commission to 9 with 5 appointed by the governor, 2 from the speaker of the house, 2 from the president of the senate.

26-Jan-24
So the state government can run the regulations. I mean when has that ever went the wrong way. Let's see I bet if that happens ks will be over the counter for deer permits within a year. And landowners will be guaranteed tags for every 80 acres they own to sell as they please. Money and politics always ruin a good thing.

26-Jan-24
Introduced under the guise of protecting the commission from anti hunting/fishing interests. But certainly smells like an attempt to load the commission with private interest good ol’ boys. Though as we’ve seen in Colorado the governor appointed system can run off the rails quite easily as well.

26-Jan-24
KB: your interest in KS politics is good, why from AK?

26-Jan-24
Grew up in the Flint Hills, Dave. Lots of friends and family scattered all over the state. I try to get down to see them yearly while incorporating some hunting. And I’ll be back eventually, so like to keep up on the goings on.

26-Jan-24
Kb is as legit as any Kansas Country boy I have ever met. Legendary at KBA banquets and always a positive influence.

27-Jan-24
What county KB? I always thought you were from Western KS.

27-Jan-24
Though some of that might be a stretch, thanks for the kind words Matt!

Morris Co, JT. First job after KState was out west though, and that’s where I preferred to recreate for a decade or so.

Anyway, enough about me. Let’s keep these greedy outfitters at bay!

28-Jan-24
What new NR waterfowl regs are there?

28-Jan-24
Moved forward with Sunday through Tuesday-only hunting for NR on public lands.

28-Jan-24
Will that help, or will it result in more private ground lease by NR's? Or will it do a little of both?

28-Jan-24
Both. But the leasing thing for waterfowl has gotten crazy here the last 2 years. People leasing mediocre at best ponds for $3500.

• Sitka Gear