be still 21-Mar-24
be still 21-Mar-24
be still 21-Mar-24
be still 21-Mar-24
keepemsharp 21-Mar-24
DGW 21-Mar-24
Dale06 21-Mar-24
25-Jan-24
Yippeee! Finally, snuck in there and took one away from the 1,000 DU and 1,000 NWTF chapters that typically win these tags. More details to come!

25-Jan-24
That’s great.

25-Jan-24
Yessir!

25-Jan-24
So how does this work? Will the KBA turn around and auction it off at the Convention?

26-Jan-24
They are one of the reasons t-tags came to be in Kansas and why they continually come up at the legislature sessions year after year. NOBODY should be allowed to make a profit off selling a deer license. Nobody other than KDWP should be allowed to sell a tag, tag sales should be KDWP-End user only.

26-Jan-24
Trebarker I agree.

26-Jan-24
I understand your point Randy, but this is a common practice in many states w/o transfer tags. Not to mention, part of the money in this case is going to a worthwhile entity.

26-Jan-24
While I can see Randy's point about not selling these tags, I can also see some potential rewards for all the hard work put forth by the KBA over the years. And before someone says it needs to be auctioned off at the convention banquet, to reap it's full potential, it needs a much larger audience. Not to offend anyone, but doubt they would bid this to it's full possibility. What tag did the KBA get, anyhow?

26-Jan-24
It’s a necessary evil in western states these days. The Colorado Bighorn tag just sold at Sheep Show for $600k. The entire earnings for a year on all their regular NR sheep tags is about $85k. Obviously they earn a pile in points and licenses for those playing the game, but for only one more tag issued that’s a no brainer.

Marvin, I didn’t notice that they specified the species each group preferred when they drew yesterday like they used to. With the demand for the deer option these days I can’t imagine hardly any are putting in for elk or antelope. You’re right in that it probably needs a bigger audience than the KBA auction, but it sounds like the handful of folks who really want these tags are often reaching out themselves before they go to an auction. $50k seems to be the going rate the last couple years.

26-Jan-24
Deer. Hoping this one will have both a “live” and “on-line” aspect to it. That way, the KBA can get maximum value at this years auction.

26-Jan-24
Some outfitter will get a huge tip from this tag.

05-Feb-24
Maybe an outfitter won’t get it Jeff.

Being new to the KBA I don’t know much but the first thing I felt when I went to the Convention 2 years ago was the small town down to earth feeling from everybody. Loved that. KBA probably does need to grow to have more influence but I sure wish it could bigger but still keep it simple…like walking into an ole diner cafe instead of some flashy big time restaurant.

05-Feb-24
How much does Colorado get for that, Kaleb?

05-Feb-24
They take at least 75% of their governor tag money. Probably more for one like this year’s bighorn.

05-Feb-24
What tag did KBA get?

05-Feb-24
Randy they got the Goose tag.

No you just overlooked it…Crested up above said it’s for a Deer.

06-Feb-24
sorry, did miss it,probably would make more money with an elk tag

06-Feb-24
Doubtful. If someone was dying to have a Ft Riley elk tag they could contact these organizations and tell them what they’d pay for one before applications are due. No one applies for elk though. Wyoming sells a bunch of these, so granted it gets a little watered down, but they averaged well below what the Kansas deer permits have been going for last year. You get to pick your species and unit there. Guarantee there are hundreds of bigger bulls in Wyoming than on Ft Riley. The main intrigue for this tag has historically been because NR can’t rifle hunt mule deer otherwise. Lots of money out there wanting to chase big mule deer these days. Arizona governor mule deer tag went for $725k last year. Now one of the rumors is that a wealthy individual with a big chunk of ground just wants extra buck tags for his place each year.

06-Feb-24
Check out the number of people applying for elk in Kentucky.Yes the rifle mule deer might be a draw if they allow hunting with any weapon during any season like some states do on raffle tags.I actually won the statewide CO moose tag a couple years ago through the raffle.I still buy raffle tags but they are for sheep and moose.If it was 20 years ago I would agree the mule deer was a huge draw and they may still be there but the ones I know that hunt them say that the whitetails are outnumbering them now and the really big ones are way harder to come by than years ago.

06-Feb-24
Not sure I follow the correlation between a limited entry Kentucky elk draw and the auction value of a Kansas tag. According to both state’s records Kentucky has killed eleven 370” bulls since Kansas’ last 350” bull. And they give out about 15x the tags. Anyway, why would someone pay $50k (what some of the Kansas deer tags have been bringing) to hunt Ft Riley bulls when you could’ve had a Wyoming commissioner tag for under $20k last year? I don’t see it.

06-Feb-24
They might not but as you mentioned before it would have to be a mule deer thing since up until this year every one could draw.I hadn't heard of anyone giving 50K for a Ks Deer tag.

08-Feb-24
Just a heads up.....the KBA's Commissioner Tag will not be auctioned off at this year's KBA Convention/Banquet Sat. Feb. 24th. This will be an agenda item to be discussed during the (members only) Annual Business Meeting on Sat. Feb. 24th (10-Noon). So, come to the business meeting that morning to voice your opinion and/or hear discussion on this topic firsthand.

This coveted tag will most likely be sold via an "on-line" auction following the NR draw to reach as many people as possible in order to get maximum value as possible to help fund future KBA Conservation efforts. There will no doubt be some NR's that didn't draw their deer tag this year that will jump into the on-line auction as a result.

17-Mar-24

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Results from recent Pheasants Forever KS deer tag auction.

17-Mar-24
Hope the money is used wisely and not for ungodly reasons.

17-Mar-24
15% goes back to KDWP and 85% goes to the non-profit organizations conservation project(s) costs…..which first have to be approved by KDWP.

17-Mar-24
I’m not sure what that means… 51,000 for a deer?

17-Mar-24
Yep…actually $51,500. Don’t forget that measly $500!!!

17-Mar-24
My mind gets criss crossed on this one. The Bronc that is being saddled here is the horse that has messed Kansas up. I do understand though that KBA needs money to stand up and fight so it’s a tough call. Just wish there was a better way to raise money.

18-Mar-24
Anyone can put in for a tag in KS, even a Mule Deer tag. If you don't draw the first year, you will eventually draw. Not many are willing, or able, to spend this amount...or any amount over the cost of the tag(s). Those who do know full well the money is going to good causes.

As long as they actually hunt, I'd rather the funds go to the KDWP and conservation-minded entities than some unregulated guide.

18-Mar-24
Makes sense looking at it that way. Sometimes I get focused on one thing too much and lose sight of the whole picture.

18-Mar-24
Commercializing at its finest. I could care less where the money goes, it isn't what hunting should be about. The same thing that landowners did with TTags on Ebay back in the day. Just gives Corbet more ammo for his bs house bills.

21-Mar-24
Came across this. Not saying doing a raffle would be better but just thought it was an interesting read. If it brought just as much money in to help conserve wildlife I think I would like this way better.

Forgive me for my redneck ways of doing things…haven’t figured out how to post a link yet.

21-Mar-24

be still's embedded Photo

21-Mar-24

21-Mar-24

21-Mar-24
I will buy into the raffle idea even real folks could have a chance.

21-Mar-24
I agree with Dave, would think lots of hunters would buy a chance to get the tag. But would need to get info out to as many people as possible.

21-Mar-24
I think it’s silly to discontinue the selling of a single, or very small number of tags for huge numbers of dollars that can then be used for the betterment of wildlife. If us “average guys” were being excluded from hunting or having a reasonable chance at a tag, that would be another situation. I believe that selling a very few of these tags for huge dollars is benefitting wildlife and all of us as hunters.

• Sitka Gear