Hoot 01-Feb-24
26-Jan-24
The results are posted in Go Wild... good luck

26-Jan-24
nothing on my page, yet!

26-Jan-24
I had 9 points for Zone A and was not awarded

26-Jan-24
11pts and unsuccessful Zone B. Thought I had a good chance.

26-Jan-24
Bear hunting here is ridiculous. I will draw this year NR, in MI for first period this year...

A NR can draw every 3 years, in 3rd period. A resident can draw every year 3rd period.

My friends place by Smokey lake, north of Phelps, has so many bears its ridiculous.

Of course everyone wants a trophy bear Really, give me a nice 250 lb any time to eat.

26-Jan-24
11 points zone B and no tag. Took me 12 points last time in B to draw. Might be 13-14 now with the reduction in tags.

27-Jan-24
I agree DT. Hard to believe it would take that long with the amount of bear around. By the time I get to 13 or 14 it will be 15 or 16. My time is winding down. Hope I can still shoot my bow by the time I draw.

27-Jan-24
I concur Rick, this will be my last tag for my zone. I’ll probably put in for zone C and play around with the bear there as long as I’m able.

27-Jan-24
As the draw times get longer for the north, I would imagine many more will start applying for Zone C realizing they won't ever draw again while they still have good health. Zone C draw is already showing signs of point creep. Sounds like it takes 3 points for most now... A short time ago you could draw every other year. It will get worse...

27-Jan-24
Years ago Zone D or A1 which is Zone A now it did take 9-10 years to draw a tag.

27-Jan-24
One of my boys has 10 pts for B, so maybe it will be back to back if and when it happens.

28-Jan-24
Anyone hunting Zone E?

28-Jan-24
No zone A tag for me for w/10pts but the wife got 1 w/10.

28-Jan-24
Anyone know what procedure they use when drawing for tags?

29-Jan-24

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
If anyone is looking for a guide we have some openings now. Send me a PM

29-Jan-24
Ya lots of guys with 10 points expected tags this years.

29-Jan-24
Mike you're exactly right. We had a group that's been applying for ten years now and they didn't draw this year. Very disappointing to say the least,

29-Jan-24
Black bears eat deer. No doe tags to help the heard up north. Drop bear tags by 20 percent! Heard controll at its best.

29-Jan-24
Bears do eat fawns, but at least two studies concluded that black bears were “opportunistic” predators on deer fawns. They do not seek them out, but eat them when they find one. In most areas it appears they are not responsible for more than 10 percent of fawn mortality, but when combined with other predators, it adds up.

29-Jan-24
B

30-Jan-24
Another idea is ag tags. My friend in Tomahawk, always gets one from a farmer, and he is helping them out.

30-Jan-24
I didn't know they gave out ag tags for bear. Interesting idea.

30-Jan-24
Yes they do, have for years now.

30-Jan-24
I would question that study somewhat. The only time I’ve had bear on my property is spring time when fawns are dropping. Coincidence?

30-Jan-24

30-Jan-24

30-Jan-24
I call bears an optivore. If the opportunity arises they'll kill a fawn. I had tons of bears & fawns around my place every spring and a lot that were still there come fall. Now wolves and coyotes are whole different story.

30-Jan-24
Drop Tine every study seems to have different results.

30-Jan-24
I realize that and understand the couple bears that frequent my property each spring doesn’t represent the state. I just find it interesting that they’ve become habituated to come to my area each spring. Had one doe 6 years straight fawn on my land. She had a split right ear so I knew it was her.

30-Jan-24
DT what food source is around your place any clover food plots

30-Jan-24
I have a clover food plot and there is a couple corn fields about 1/4 mile and 3/4 miles the opposite direction. I have a man made water hole back in the woods and that where I generally get bear photos.

31-Jan-24

MjF's embedded Photo
MjF's embedded Photo
There you go....that clover plot is a huge attractant for bears. I might be exaggerating a bit but I swear I have had more bears than deer on my clover food plots (There is clover mixed in with the grasses)

31-Jan-24

MjF's embedded Photo
MjF's embedded Photo
This is the same plot as above replanted with clover

01-Feb-24
I planted a clover plot when I lived in the north country. I put cams on the plot and very seldom had deer, but bears were there everyday. I quit sitting this plot as all I saw were bears.

01-Feb-24
I go up to the Brule river steelheading in the spring. One spot I fished you had to walk down the pipeline. When they first put this in, they had planted it and it was as green as green could be in the spring. I would frequently see bear out there feeding.

01-Feb-24

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear