be still 29-Jan-24
KB 29-Jan-24
ksq232 29-Jan-24
csalem 10-Feb-24
be still 10-Feb-24
26-Jan-24

be still's embedded Photo
3:44…The guy that bought the hog hunt is about here. He’s running a little late so I’m meeting them at the next town up that’s closer where the ranch is. He’s bringing his 18 yr old grandson to hopefully get his first hog. His grandson is going to be using a bow. It’s drizzly fog this afternoon so it might just happen this evening.

Told to em bring some coolers cause we’re planning on making sure they have some prime hog meat to take back home.

26-Jan-24
Awfully cool and generous hunt you got going there. Good luck to you guys this weekend!

26-Jan-24
Heck yeah. Good luck!

26-Jan-24
VERY cool!!

26-Jan-24
Thanks Mike, keep us posted!

26-Jan-24
Good for you Mike. Hope you all get it done. Have fun.

26-Jan-24
If you don't clear off that dash you might consider a heavier front axle??

27-Jan-24
12:44 am….Dave having a clean dash makes me feel dirty:?)

Well the coolers are still empty but we’re having a good time. He said he heard a boar in the brush but never seen it. Talked to the guy that let us hunt there and he can’t believe we didn’t see any even though we just got to hunt there about an hour and half before dark. Came home and ate some roast and taters and went down to the end of the road cause I usually have some in my pasture. Took some thermals down there but just seen a few deer and that was it.

Planning on going to the same place we were on before dark and try it again cause there was plenty of sign on that place. Get there before daylight and see what happens. After that we got another ranch we can hit the owner said he has plenty so I think we’re going to be good. There’s a place that’s nearly guaranteed hogs but it’s way too muddy to get in there…but hey it ain’t hunting If it’s guaranteed right?

We’re planning on doing a lot more thermal hunting than we did tonight on some better places tomorrow night so we’ll get em I’m sure. I’m just really hoping we can get this kid on a hog during daylight for a bow kill….that would be cool for everybody.

27-Jan-24
Have a good time, going to be in Manhattan this year too?

27-Jan-24
Take no prisoners, Mike!

27-Jan-24
Quick update….still no meat but super high hopes for this evening. This morning at that same place seen some pretty fresh tracks but no hogs seen. Not a whole lot of tracks though.

We’re sitting now on a bigger ranch and this place is gorgeous. Absolutely ate up with fresh hog tracks so stay with us. The young man has switched over to a gun for now to try and get some on the ground. If we get some tonight the plane is to switch back to a bow tomorrow.

They were intending to leave tomorrow at lunch time but I think I’ve talked his grandpa into at least staying till Monday. Everybody having a good time. I’ll post some pics later.

27-Jan-24

His grandpa shot right before dark and the young man drew blood just earlier.

27-Jan-24
Blood on the ground! Won't be long before we're getting big smile pics!

27-Jan-24

sitO's Link
Sooey!

27-Jan-24

Kyle…everybody at the kitchen table was wanting to know what the hell I was listening to:?)

Well his grandpa had one at about 5 yards. Thought he was about to wind him so hurried up and threw the safety off. The hog heard the safety go off he said and it bolted. He snapped a hurried shot off but he thinks he might have missed.

I’ve been sitting with his grandson. Over the past few days I can tell this young man has been raised right. He can definitely handle a gun and he can flat out shoot. Perfect shot on this pig…made it about 50 yards before piling up. Later he hit a coon that was pretty far off. It’s a real good feeling to hunt with a 18 yr old that loves to hunt. It don’t take long watching him to know that he was raised from little up being in the outdoors. Guess that’s how they do it in Kansas.

28-Jan-24

I cut off the 2 back hams and both backstraps. Washed them clean with cold water and they are in their cooler on ice. The meat on this one should be very good. She was pretty decent size but the meat was clean with no smell.

28-Jan-24

Few pics of the place we were hunting this evening.

28-Jan-24

And of course we can’t leave out the three delicious meals Erica made for us today. We had sausage gravy with biscuits waiting on us when we got back from the morning hunt. Did a pre scout trip to the ranch and had enchiladas, beans, and rice waiting on us when we got back. Later after dark she had fried deer chunks, potatoes, and salad. Yepper all of em pretty dang good.

28-Jan-24
Planning on going back out in the morning to the same ranch to hopefully get some more.

28-Jan-24

6:54….not hunting with him this morning. I think since the young man already connected on one the grandpa was wanting to sit with him so they could share at least one hunt together. Told him I didn’t blame him at all for wanting to do that.

So I dropped them off and they headed to where he had that one hog yesterday evening so close to him. Right now I’m sitting in the truck with the windows rolled down a bit hoping I hear them shoot here in a little while. Hoping I don’t fall back to sleep either. I think it was after 1am the first night before I went to bed. Last night by the time we got home to eat dinner, visited some, and cleaned his hog it was close to 11pm. We were already tired but my son-in-law wanted to take us to a far away place to do some calling for varmints. That place was a bust and by the time we got back it was around 2am. Didn’t fall to sleep till after 3 so we’re all dragging a little this morning.

Plan is to go back after this morning’s hunt and crash for a bit until this evening’s hunt. Hoping they stay to do a Monday morning hunt but we’ll see. The moon had some color to it last night as it was coming up.

28-Jan-24

Also told them I would throw in a Turkey hunt on the house this spring if they could find the time to come back. Got anywhere from about 30 to 50 hens in one group and 9 big gobblers in another roosting pretty consistent down at the end of the road. My neighbor said there’s about 70 Turkey down there in the group but I think that’s pushing it some. Haven’t been able to get all the hens in one frame pic. In this one pic above you can see the gobblers between the cows in the background.

28-Jan-24
Looks like a great time!! And good vittles to boot! Nicely done Calhoun!

28-Jan-24
Ya, with the way Erica cooks I don't know how BeStill isn't fat.

What does wild pig taste like? Good on it's own or does it need a brine or something?

I bet there's a lot of KS guys that jump on a turkey hunt. Seems to be a lot of people disappointed with our dropping numbers.

28-Jan-24
Thanks again for donating that hunt Mike!! It looks like they had a blast!

28-Jan-24
Thanks again for donating that hunt Mike!! It looks like they had a blast!

28-Jan-24

You’re welcome Chris….the older I get I’m starting to enjoy watching other people hunt and yes we’re having a great time.

Cat I’m pretty sure this here pig is going to taste real good without doing nothing to it. I’ve had pork chops off wild hog taste better than anything you get in the store. I’ve heard some of them you might throw some salt in the cold water for a few days to take some of the wildness out of it.

Yep I really like this pair and I sure hope they get to come back to Turkey hunt this year. They both said they like to Turkey hunt so we’ll see.

This evening they’re sitting together in the same stand the kid shot his last night. I’m sitting in a stand overlooking an oat field surrounded by brush not too far away. I’m not carrying a weapon…I’m just spotting for them.

29-Jan-24
Well no hogs last night. When I got down last night after dark I went to wait on them and I had some close to me. I could hear them and they sounded about 60 yards from me in a low area with tall weeds. They came up later but we never got on them. They seen one later in the thermals but didn’t get a shot.

They rolled out this morning. I really enjoyed having them and I’ll say it again…they’re super good people. Told em I sure wished we could have gotten them more hogs but I told em they’re invited back anytime. So I’m sure we’ll be shooting hogs and Turkey sometime in the future.

One thing I do know is he left too big of a tip for the cook:?) I need to try and get some of that money back to him or find a way to make it up to him.

They’re also bringing back a pup…he’s cute as a button. Friday night Pecos came home from Waco and said somebody had left this pup in a kernel with dog food in the back of his truck. The dog looked clean and well taken of so it’s was a little confusing. Don’t think we could handle another one so it’s headed back to Kansas.

Well it’s giving me the error thing and not wanting to post the puppy pics.

29-Jan-24
They left a dog in a kennel in the back of someone's truck....? you gotta be kidding me.

29-Jan-24

29-Jan-24
Kevin here thought that Pecos was trying to pull one on us. He asked Pecos how much he paid for the puppy? He thinks the story went like this…there was this cute girl around Pecos’s age that was selling puppies. Pecos bought one hoping when we got home we would fall in love with it and decide to keep it. It nearly worked:?)

I think you can tell by both of their faces in this pic they love dogs and it’s going to a good home. Kevin went out and bought this little harness for it…have a feeling this pup is going to get a lot of attention.

29-Jan-24

29-Jan-24
Heck of a weekend. Hog and a dog. Good stuff!

29-Jan-24
Sounds like a great time all the way around!

10-Feb-24
Looked like a fun time Where were you hunting?

10-Feb-24
Chris it was around the Valley Mills and Clifton areas. Northwest of Waco just a little ways.

• Sitka Gear