Quinn @work 07-Mar-24
Firsty 07-Mar-24
Scott 28-Mar-24
Paul@thefort 28-Mar-24
cnelk 29-Mar-24
Scott 04-Apr-24
Glunker 27-Apr-24
28-Jan-24
Hello, my Name is Scott Ewaskowitz and I'm new to the site. I'm not sure how it all works so forgive me if over stepping my boundrdries with my question. What I'm looking for is any feed back positive or negative you could or would share about a Colorado unit 76 Muzzleloader elk hunting tag I may draw in 2024. I've got 26 points and want to make sure I wouldn't be making a mistake by applying for this tag. Thank you guys for any help you may be able to share.

29-Jan-24
It all depends on what your goals are for your hunt. Is your goal a 320” bull or bigger? Or is it just important to see quite a few elk with some above average size bulls in a beautiful part of the state? It is very subjective from one hunter to another what experience is worth 26 year’s worth of applying.

29-Jan-24
That's a lot of points!!! If I start now I'll be 103 by the time I get there. LMAO

Any more my goal is just to hunt. All draw archery when it gets here might ruin even that!

29-Jan-24
Heard some mixed feedback on 76 1st rifle. One positive and two negative. Don't know the specific areas. Hunted archery there 6 or so years ago and was definitely fun hunt then.

29-Jan-24
My goal would be to spend 8 days with my son chasing, hopefully bugling elk in a beautiful part of the world. It's not the as much about the size of the elk as it is to get to share an outdoor experience with him. Right now I'm looking for any guidance from anyone that may have hunted the unit before and could share some of the things that may have worked for them and some key things that may not have worked for them. I appreciate any tips that would make our hunt fun. Thanks for your help.

29-Jan-24
I’ve heard from several folks that unit 76 would most likely provide you with a fun hunt checking the boxes you mentioned.

29-Jan-24
I’ve heard from several folks that unit 76 would most likely provide you with a fun hunt checking the boxes you mentioned.

29-Jan-24
I sent you a pm, Scott.

30-Jan-24
I would google variations of "unit 76 muzzleloader elk" or "unit 76 elk" and then directly message the individuals who have been writing on various hunting forums, including non Bowsite forums, about having hunted it for best, candid, info.

If I get a message from you I will presume you took my advice after maybe finding me having written about the unit somewhere. For some forums you need to have a certain number of posts to be able to message members so plan for that as well. With that many points in play it is worth digging deep to prepare and decide.

What other forums do you regularly visit, if any?

31-Jan-24
Depends on what quality of bull you're looking for. I know guys during the gun seasons that were killing lil raghorns and small five point bulls. And we only know of one good bull that came out of 76, a big 340 class bull. But they were in 76 as far as they could with horses.

76 has really changed. The forest service fixed a lot of roads in 76, and now you're able to drive everywhere in 76 . And the utvs are everywhere in 76 now. I'm sitting on 16 points for elk as a resident, and I won't burn my points in a unit like 76. And I know 76 very well, have spent time guiding there since the 90's.

03-Feb-24
Thanks Buglmin. I appreciate you taking time to send me your thoughts on unit 76. I just want to make sure I'm doing the right hunt for the time I've spent applying for it. Thanks again Scott

06-Feb-24
How much, if any, experience do you have in the area?

06-Mar-24
Can you not draw unit 2? I had an incredible hunt there with opportunities every single day.. I understand point creep but if I had those points that is where I would go.

06-Mar-24
The 1 Non-Resident Unit 2 Muzzy took 30 points to draw last year. There were 7 people that applied last year with more points than him that didn't draw. The OP is probably 8-10 years out from having a realistic chance at a Unit 2 muzzy tag with 26 NR points in 2024.

06-Mar-24
Not sure if you have the points for 61. I've bowhunted 61 and 76 and both were great hunts. If I live long enough to get enough points I would hunt 61 over 76.

07-Mar-24
It took 26 points for a NR to draw Unit 61 Archery last year.

07-Mar-24
For the points you have as a N Res I think a 76 muzzy tag is a good use of your points for the hunt you are looking for as you described above.

28-Mar-24
I appreciate everyone's input on my question. I've decided I will give the unit 76 Muzzy a go for 2024. I will let everyone know how it goes. If there is any more advice I'm always open for help. Thanks again.

28-Mar-24
So Scott, how do you plan on hunting unit 76, ie, self guided or with a guide. Public or private lands? Wilderness Areas? Have you hunting elk in the past? How much time will you devote to the hunt?

29-Mar-24
I’m guessing he will devote a maximum of 9 days since that’s how long the ML season is.

04-Apr-24
Paul@thefort, yes, I have hunted elk before all unguided and I plan on doing this hunt unguided as well. It will be all on public land. I plan on pre-scouting for a week prior to the hunt and then give it the entire 9 days if needed.

27-Apr-24
Expect a lot of burned over area and the elk hanging above treeline.

• Sitka Gear