Jemma 30-Jan-24
blackwolf 30-Jan-24
Live2Hunt 31-Jan-24
Cheesehead Mike 31-Jan-24
WI Shedhead 31-Jan-24
Jemma 31-Jan-24
FullofBull 20-Feb-24
28-Jan-24
Good afternoon. I'm planning for my first archery Elk hunt this fall in Colorado. I've been hunting whitetail in Wisconsin for years so I'm experienced, but I will never claim to be a know it all. I'm going one on one with a guide in the Southwest corner of Colorado in Unit 71. I was looking for general advice. I shoot a Bowtech revolt set at 60 lbs with a 29 inch draw and I shoot Easton axis 5mm arrows and Montec G5 100 gr broadheads. From what I've been researching my set up should be adequate and I'm consistent out to 50 yards. As I said, any advice is appreciated...

28-Jan-24
I’ve hunted that area many times. Your setup should be fine. We hunted areas of scrub oaks with islands of aspen mixed in. Elk would feed on acorns in the scrub oaks, then retreat to the cool, darker areas of aspen during mid day. With lots of glassing the shadows of the aspen and some patience, we often were able to get shots of 20-30 yards. You’ll have a great time!

28-Jan-24
Thank you. When did you go? My hunt is Sept 9 to the 13.

28-Jan-24
You will be fine Use to live in Cortez. Best bull I ever shot was at 9 steps, if they are coming, let em come. I think 100 grains is light, but will get it done. Hope your G5s are saving sharp. 50 yards is a poke in the real elk world Good luck and have a great time. Listen to your guide. Don't guide the guide.

28-Jan-24
No, no way. He's in charge. Rough Canyon Outfitters. Heard a lot of good things about him. 100 grain a little light? One thing I worry about is poking through mud if he was in a wallow. My bow only goes up to 60lb, and i was looking at upgrading. Really don't want to waste a hunt.

28-Jan-24
Shaving sharp cut on contact broadhead hit them in the crease mid to bottom third. Short blood trail. You will never find an animal harder to recover if you hit them bad- the go for miles

29-Jan-24
Killed Many Elk and Moose with my Revolt X and other Bowtechs set at 70lbs, 372 grn arrow with 100 grn V2's never had a problem. Last moose was at 52yds and had total pass threw. Hunted unit 61 last year took a bull at 25yards total pass threw. Be very careful on frontal shots they are a big boned animal. PLAY THE WIND you will never mask your sent from them. NEVER ! Be in shape I'm going moose hunting this year and have been working out since Dec. 1 This winter is ideal to walk 5 days a week with a weighted pack on. When you practice remember Your first shot of the day is your most important. Focus on that one shot. Shoot many one shots through out the day or evenings. You won't get time in the field to warm up. shoot kneeling and standing. Good Luck >>>------->

29-Jan-24
Keep an arrow nocked.

29-Jan-24
"Thank you. When did you go? My hunt is Sept 9 to the 13." Approximately the same time frame. They were bugling often but we called very little. Was much more effective to listen for the bugles to help locate them, then plan an approach based on wind and cover. As mentioned by someone previously, their noses are very good so playing the wind is the only way to beat that nose.

29-Jan-24
"Listen to your guide. Don't guide the guide." No truer words have ever been spoken.

29-Jan-24
Work on your cardio.

Are you ready to tackle the elevation and put on many miles? Are you ready to wake up day after day and put those mile on?

29-Jan-24
I would practice out to 100 to become a better shot up close. 60 and 70 yards shots can happen. Practice them. Then if your shot is close it should be a slam dunk.

Know where your arrow impacts point blank range .

29-Jan-24
Take a positive attitude. Don't ever give up because you never know when there will be elk over the ridge.

29-Jan-24
Another thing, Arrow1, brought up the V2 head. I think he is talking about the G5 Stryker. That's a great head, and it's scary sharp. Shoot the bow weight your comfortable with. 55lbs is plenty with right arrow and head combo. Takes alot of umpf to penetrate at 60 yards, I would think 40 and under.....

30-Jan-24
Thank you guys for all the advice so far. Yeah I've been working out every morning and looking for a pack I can load down nice and heavy and start walking every night. Hopefully the air won't be a factor, but luckily I have to travel to Fort Carson a couple times for work this year. The best thing is I elk hunted last year with rifle out of Meeker and got lucky with a 5x5 so I kinda know how bad I got my a$$ kicked already so I have a clue what to expect and the things I need to work on. Thank you guys for everything so far

30-Jan-24
Hold out for good shot 30 yards or under. Practice 40-50 yards so the 30 yard is a chip shot. Forget 40 yard plus shots, too great a chance of wounding unless you are an elite archer. I would go 425 gr arrow and make sure broadheads are tuned to straight flight. Make sure broadheads are razor sharp. Elk are one tough animal!

31-Jan-24
I bow hunted Meeker area 3 years in a row around Sleepy Cat Peak. I took a 4x5 one year and a nice muley one year. I used to put a pack on and climb these stairs in my town. There were like 80 steps up. It helps, but not for the thin air. Packing my bull out I ended up getting real sick from the elevation. I took my bull with a 70lb compound, 500 grain total alum arrow with 125 grain muzzy up front. 45 yard shot, high behind the shoulder and hit the opposite leg where it meets the body, so it took everything out. I practiced out to 50 yards with that setup. That being said, you want to get as close as you can in the situation. This bull was bedded facing away and I was able to take my time on the shot. It is a great time of year for flatlanders to be in the mountains, enjoy.

31-Jan-24
A friend and his son were hunting with me in 2022. The son was shooting G5 Montec's with a 50# draw weight. He shot a bull that was quartering to him at around 20 yards. He hit the bull a half inch behind the shoulder blade (I boned out the shoulder) and the arrow completely passed through and exited near the last rib. I was impressed with the penetration considering the low draw weight. I've killed numerous elk with about a 430 grain arrow, fixed blade head and 74# draw weight. I've killed the last few with a 500 grain arrow, G5 Striker fixed blade and 74# draw weight.

Your shot limitations should be based on your shooting ability and the temperament of the elk. 30 yards may be the limit for some archers whereas others may have longer limits. Personally, when I practice shooting I rarely shoot much under 40 yards and I typically start my practice sessions at 50 yards and work my way back to 80-100 yards. I'll occasionally shoot at 20 and 30 yards just to make sure everything is still "on" but there's really no point in me practicing at those yardages with my compound. Recurve is another story... For me practicing at 80-100 yards makes the 50-60 yard shots feel like chip shots. It's not a one-size-fits-all type of thing and everybody should stay within their limitations and make sure that longer shots are at relaxed elk. I've killed a couple bulls at around 60 yards and a few at around 40 yards. If you limit yourself to 30 yards in the elk mountains you may have to pass up the only shot(s) you get. Therefore it's wise to work hard at being the best you can be.

Elk are tough but in my opinion, an elk hit in the vitals will die as quick if not quicker than a whitetail. Be cautious on a broadside walking shot because if you don't stop him there's a very good chance you'll end up with a gut shot due to how deceivingly fast elk often walk. A gut shot will most likely result in a dead unrecovered elk. Frontal shots are controversial for some but can be deadly and should be limited to 20 yards or less. Understanding elk anatomy is important and although there are big bones to be aware of, you'll never end up with a gut shot without passing through vitals first.

Just my two cents worth...

31-Jan-24
Above all else- if mikes giving advice on elk hunting- listen to every damn word!!!!!

31-Jan-24
Im listening to everything you guys are saying, trust me. I have bad habit of going overboard when I start something new, but it's ok this time haha

20-Feb-24
Your setup will kill elk with a good shot. Always get in front of cover, never hide behind it. Remember you're not hunting whitetails.

• Sitka Gear