bigwoodsbucks22 02-Feb-24
Will 02-Feb-24
BAT 02-Feb-24
B&M Baked 02-Feb-24
Coondog 02-Feb-24
Wilgabeast 03-Feb-24
Bwhnt 03-Feb-24
01-Feb-24
Have shot a wrist strap release since I was 12 years old. Last Lear my brother in law got a three finger thumb release. I shot it a few times in the back yard and shot really well. Scared to make the switch as I’m nervous for those cold mornings with gloves on trying to pull, anyone shooting thumb releases? Pros/cons?

01-Feb-24
Been shooting multiple different handheld releases (thumb, resistance, and hinge) over the last three years. Every year I’ve gotten better and better. Groups shrunk substantially, especially when I learned to pull through a shot. If you punch an index release, I’d bet you will punch a thumb button too. You need to relearn how to shoot a bow. It’s a mental hump, but stay disciplined and you will conquer it quickly. I can control the thumb button to be a surprise release, but have a very good idea of when it’s going to go off. I don’t see any cons to it personally. Some people may argue that you can lose them easier if they’re not attached to your wrist, but find a way to store it properly and you shouldn’t have to worry about it. All I ever wear hunting when it’s colder is a cheap pair of merino gloves from Black Ovis that I cut the thumb off… never had an issue.

01-Feb-24
I switched to a thumb release mid was through the 22-23 season. I’ll never look back . I shoot the Stan onnex and it’s absolutely incredible . I use scent Lok gloves that you can custom cut to what you want . I keep the release clipped to the string. The thumb release just feels more fluid and natural

01-Feb-24
Any nervousness on those frigid mornings pulling with your fingers opposed to your wrist? It definitely felt more natural with the thumb trigger, never been a punchy shooter just for some reason the thumb release felt like it was in the right place

01-Feb-24
Nope never even a second thought pulling 73 lbs on a cold morning . Pulling with a handheld is almost easier it seems

01-Feb-24
I agree with Wilga. Seems easier

01-Feb-24
I tried one years ago, and just never liked it... Then again at the time my wrist release had a rope jaw... Soooooo they are likely much nicer now :) ha ha ha!

Give it a good shot during the next few months. If you love it, it will work - lots of folks use them now and kill deer with them all season - even late seasons. So it's doable. Just have to acclimate to it.

01-Feb-24
Will….between that and your 1983 bear whitetail special ;)

01-Feb-24
Thought it was just me on it seeming easier to pull, I shoot 64 lbs or so my brother in law shoots 70 I pulled his bow smooth and easily surprised me for sure

01-Feb-24
I shoot 84lbs. No issue pulling a bow back with my gloves on a cold morning.

01-Feb-24
I e read that they are great for training and practicing but never used one. They sell merino gloves on black ovis with the thumb and index already removed.

02-Feb-24
I could never go back to a wrist release again. Every person is very different so thats just me but theres a lot of benefits to a thumb release. Mind you, I do shoot a high end release that is highly adjustable and i do think that this makes a huge difference. I am able to adjust the tension, the travel, the position, length, etc. Anyways, being someones that does deal with target panic, this was how i got past that. I am alot less likely to punch the trigger with a thumb release and if you do, its alot less error in the shot. I am alot more consistent now because of it. My anchor point is more consistent and i find it easier to shoot with gloves on. Most of the deer I have shot have been with gloves on and it makes zero difference. One of the biggest benefits though, is that you never have to clip your release onto the string when in the woods. I clip it on the string when i get out of my truck and it doesnt come off until i get back to my truck. If a deer comes in quick or one sneaks in on you, you just grab the release and draw. You dont need to look down and worry about getting it attached to the D loop. That is so nice. This makes it easier to hunt from the ground and to stalk if you do western hunts at all. Also its one less thing to worry about if you film. Total Peep makes a little foam snap for the side of thumb releases that i cant recommend enough. Clip your thumb release onto the string, snap the body of the release onto the string, and it sits tight right against the string. doesnt dangle at all. Again, everyone is very different but a thumb releae jsut has so man more benefits for me and i shoot so much more consistently now that i could never go back.

02-Feb-24
Just because I still have those little finger protector things on my string, MAPA, doesnt mean you can pick on me. C'mon, the plunger on my flipper rest is getting old, maybe I need a new one, but stop picking on me... ;-) ha ha ha!!!

02-Feb-24
Do you have to adjust anything on the bowstring or peep sight to shoot a thumb release? Arrow length stays the same? And I see some for $300 and others for $100….

02-Feb-24
If you draw early, and have to hold a long time you cant tuck your hand behind your head and neck to help hold at full draw.

02-Feb-24
I’ve been at full draw for close to three minutes before with a handheld release. Feel like that argument is irrelevant lol

03-Feb-24
If you think about the mechanics of the human body the fingers can be locked into a lot of positions . And when you lock them in the ligaments and tendons bind up and short of breaking your finger or tearing those ligaments your fingers won’t move ….. think about drawing a 70+ recurve with just fingers. When you lock your hand it does not move , so once you grip that release and lock up your hand it’s your shoulder and arm doing the holding more then your hand or fingers

03-Feb-24
I have shot a hand held thumb release for more than 5 yrs. My fingers hurt me from age and I believe arthritis, especially on cold mornings. It is a problem with drawing back under those circumstances, so if you have that problem like me, it's worth considering. I have elected to skip a hunt because of hand pain.

• Sitka Gear