Big Dog 05-Feb-24
Jebediah 05-Feb-24
Will 05-Feb-24
Blood 05-Feb-24
Dthfrmabove1 07-Feb-24
Blood 07-Feb-24
Will 08-Feb-24
04-Feb-24
Alright so here we go down the rabbit hole of thinking. I have shot 2 pigs and there has been no problem tracking and finding them after the shot. The last one only made it 90-100 yds and it was a mishit of sorts and about as large as I might encounter unless I get real lucky to find one of the 300lb ones But, I have lost 2 arrows and broadheads to breakage in the process. These suckers are tough and with the broadheads I am shooting, while deadly they do lack the ability to pass through and keep my arrow intact.

I am currently pulling 63 Pounds at 28” and shooting VAP SS 350V1 and a HIT of 50grams with the 100gr B3 expandable 3 blade broadhead. A devastating combination for whitetail and hogs. I have read everything there is to know about needing a fixed blade and heavier arrow. My current setup is in the mid 400’s for total weight.

You guys who shoot heavier setups and fixed blades. What is your total draw weight and arrow weight. What this boils down to is the fact that for every pig I will probably shoot I am going to lose out on $40 for arrow, broadhead and lighted nock. Maximum distance to target will be 20yds so arrow flight won’t be that much of a concern and increasing the draw weight is a last ditch option . Let’s hear some ideas

04-Feb-24
Every scenario goes a little different, but how about using a fixed head on the next one.energy being robbed by expandable if looking for a pass thru .congrats on the pigs. Good luck

04-Feb-24
I’d go with a qad exodus on pigs . That’s my favorite fixed blade for sure . There’s a few different arrow choices I have in mind depending on your draw weight and length and stuff

04-Feb-24

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
650 TAW … Grizzlystik tapered shaft. 26% foc 200 grn. Samauri single bevel. 57 lbs at 28.5 “ draw. Shoots thru 3 at a time at 30 yds. Hunted pigs in fl. Over 30 yrs.

04-Feb-24

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
20 yds i meant to type

04-Feb-24
Victory arrows are incredibly weak due to their thin walls and carbon weave design. However, the SS is their strongest arrow. I am glad you went with a HIT for that setup. I currently shoot 84lbs at 85% let off and 30” DL. My arrow set up is an Easton Axis Long Range with a 75 grain Iron Will deep six HIT, 10 grain titanium Iron Will Impact Collar, 125 grain Iron Will single bevel broadhead, 4 fletch AAE Max Stealths, TAC Vanes .166 wrap, and AAE IP4 nock… total arrow weight is 536 grains. I get 294fps thru the chronograph. I do not have a single doubt in my mind that I will not get a pass thru on any animal ever with this set up; even if I encounter any bone. I think if you switch to a strong fixed blade like an Iron Will, Cutthroat, or Kayuga instead of a mechanical then you may see more pass throughs and have less arrows sticking into the pigs and breaking.

04-Feb-24

Coondog's embedded Photo
Coondog's embedded Photo

04-Feb-24
Drslyr your back!!!

05-Feb-24
Drslyr is alive!

05-Feb-24
Fixed blade for 63lb DW on hogs.

05-Feb-24
Lots of shot opportunities and shots are 10-20 yards. From a cost perspective, any properly spined name brand or even cheap big box store brand like Bass Pro blackouts will work fine. Save the high end shafts for the axis deer. Any robust cut on contact broadhead works. You are getting lots of shots, go two blade to ease re-sharpening. Even consider traditional heads with inserts like Zwickeys or ACE. Probably the most economical option.

05-Feb-24
A number of years ago I bought a bunch of ultra-low-end arrows and was struck by the fact that they really worked just as well as my “fancy” arrows.

05-Feb-24
Jeb, are you not impressed by labels and hype , LOL ?

05-Feb-24
Well, one could argue that my shot is simply bad enough that the type of arrow doesn’t matter.

05-Feb-24
I'm really glad you got good advice on this DFA, but gotta be real, seeing Drslyr post warms me up.

Super glad to see you are alive, and back on the board man. REALLY glad to have you back!

05-Feb-24
Shawn, I shoot Sirius Archery Gemini shafts. I love their system to protect the arrow for impacts. I go heavier because I can. Total arrow weight is about 575 gr. And I’m shooting them at about 283-284 FPS. 200 spine with about 225-235 up front depending on the head. I’m shooting 75lbs @ 30.5” draw. I’m also using a COC head now. They are pretty sweet.

I think you could go up about 500 grains for your total arrow weight. If your shots are 20 yards you won’t notice much difference in flight….. and you’ll have a hammer.

I was tired of arrows breaking so I think I figured out something with this setup. Let me know if you want me to go into detail more.

07-Feb-24
So this is what I have decided. I pretty Much took a combination of a lot of answers and some ideas I already had. Since my shot distance will always be 20yds and closer I am just going to buy a cheap set of goldtip hunter xt arrows in the 250 spine. Load them upfront with a 100gr insert and a 35 gr shock collar and tip with a 125 qad exodus head. Maybe further down the road I will get some heads I can tinker with and resharpen. Baby steps at first though. I will also get the Stay Sharp Jig to resharpen any I happen to use. If these don’t seem to work as far as having to resharpen or the blades get damaged. The. I will go to the old school 2 blade with bleeders. This should get me around 550 gr or so for the arrow. Bump my draw weight up to 65lbs ( 2 pounds more ) and resight in for 20 yds. I am going to still keep my other arrows and heads for axis deer here on the islands. Those have proven super deadly and accurate out to 70lbs. Basically as far as I ever sighted in. Hahah

07-Feb-24
Sounds good. Look at Ethics archery for that insert system with a sleeve for a decent up front protection system.

08-Feb-24
DFA, That should carry a lot of momentum through the pig!

• Sitka Gear