Ridge Runner 09-Feb-24
casekiska 09-Feb-24
casekiska 09-Feb-24
Groundhunter 09-Feb-24
Ridge Runner 09-Feb-24
Hoot 10-Feb-24
TonyBear 10-Feb-24
07-Feb-24
Just got done watching a U tube show on Michigan out of Doors about Fred Bear history of his bows and some hunting videos of his one was him sneaking in on a Grizzly and shooting him very neat some of you traditional guys will like it Missouri your not allowed

07-Feb-24
I love those old Fred Bear movies! Back in the day they were about all there was about bowhunting that was available on TV. Fred Bear is and remains my most respected bowhunting icon. I know he gets some flack about "this 'n that" but he sure did a lot for bowhunting and archery. He was one of the true bowhunting heroes from a bygone day and even though he has been gone for nearly 40 years he is still remembered, discussed, referenced, idolized, and respected. The sport of bowhunting has a few legends and he is one of them.

07-Feb-24
Going to Fred Bear days in March. Held in Grayling MI and always a great showing. I bought tickets awhile ago and just booked hotel.

07-Feb-24
Fred was a good one !

07-Feb-24

Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
I’m laid up for a little while ( bad foot) so was searching U tube this afternoon , Came upon Bowhunting October Whitetails with Barry Wensel Loved these yrs ago , I use to go rent it from the video store especially when I was watching the kids while my wife was waitressing in the evenings , Fun to watch these instead of some of the modern day videos

07-Feb-24
I have the whole cd set of his hunts. Good stuff

07-Feb-24
Me too Ridge him and his brother great stuff

07-Feb-24

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
1960's .Myself & my 3 bowhunt partners went to a Fred Bear show at a Milw theater. 3 hunts & Fred came on stage and talked for an hour .

It was a standing room only crowd .

08-Feb-24
I did the same thing with my dad at the Cinema theater on Atwood Av. in Madison. I don’t remember a lot of it because I was pretty young but grew up admiring the man.

Ridge, if you have a VCR yet I have the video Bowhunting October Whitetails here still.

08-Feb-24

08-Feb-24
Met him in person with a few other guys way back in the early 80's at Buck Rub Archery. Every one went to seminars and he was by himself at a table, we got to talk with him for an hour or so.He was a real gentleman and wanted to talk how he used to hunt Necedah way back.Mentioned that we might find some of his arrows as "he shot a lot of them there" as he put it.

For some one like myself that admired him and the inspiration he provided it was a thrill of lifetime, received a nice letter from him and autograph picture of the record bear he shot in Alaska later after that chance meeting. He was the real deal.

08-Feb-24
I asked Fred , " what is the most important part of big game bowhunting to be successful ."

He said , " tracking the animal " . He told me of a big Mulie 80 yards away . His 1st arrows was low . Second arrow was a gut shot . After 2 days of tracking he finished it with a 30 yard lung shot .

Interesting .

08-Feb-24

casekiska's embedded Photo
The first of a number of times I met Fred Bear. Photo taken in Indiana at a Bowhunters Nationals tournament, probably about 1979 or so.
The first of a number of times I met Fred Bear. Photo taken in Indiana at a Bowhunters Nationals tournament, probably about 1979 or so.

09-Feb-24
Bill - Great picture. What an honor meeting Fred Bear. I'm sure those moments are something you'll never forget.

09-Feb-24
Met Fred in 1981 for a book signing, at West Town archery. Was really nice man.

09-Feb-24
Hunted with Fred on a combo sheep /Grizz bear hunt.

Then my alarm went off for work... almost called in sick in an effort to finish my dream.

09-Feb-24
LOL

09-Feb-24
Pas - betcha that was a great hunt! LOL! Good one!

09-Feb-24

Very cool pic Bill , I met Fred once and have a pic somewhere ( you’d think I’d take better care of it ) I also have the hat he autographed for me , Think it was at Arrowhead Archery Lanes in Green Bay , Only autograph that ever meant anything to me , Also have pics with Gene Wensel and with John Maggie Maggie ( comical columnists Bowhunter Mag) somewhere in boxes , Another retirement project , go thru photos

09-Feb-24

The owner (my buddy) of Bear Paw Landing bear camp in Ontario welcomed Fred Bear and a few Bear Archery executives to his camp in June 1974. My buddy (who some of you now know, when I mentioned Bear Paw) took the arrows out of Fred's bow quiver and told Fred, "Here, sign these for me." My buddy passed one of the autographed arrows along to me. I am also going to try & add a close-up pic of the signature,...it's nearly 50 years old and has been thru a lot but it is still there.

09-Feb-24

Not certain what happened,...going to try and show the Fred Bear arrow. Opps...

09-Feb-24
His son in law Bill Tutt was a nice guy. Hunted bear out of his camp, Flam Bow, on the flowage. Gosh those were good days.

09-Feb-24
Neat arrow Bill , I hav a little story about my autographed hat from Fred if you’ll bear ( no pun intended) with me . Some time after I got the hat my future wife who had horses invited me to go on a trail ride with her group . Now I was not a horse person but you gotta do what you gotta do when you like a girl , Was a nice Sept day I believe and we where on the Annapee trail Things where going great , I was riding my future wife’s horse and she was on her sisters We had a group of about 25 , Just so happened it was the opening of Salmon snagging season ( when it was legal) , Well our group got to the Annapee river and everyone got backed up because of all the people . My horse started to back up and I really didn’t quite no what to do , Well-my horse backed off the trail and down the embankments down down we went about 25 ft .I remember pushing off the horse just before we crashed in the wet marsh grass , the horse landing right next to me ,Thought I was a goner , Well the horse righted itself and when back up ,I got my bearings and climbed back up . I then lead the horse across the bridge and got back in the saddle, My girlfriend felt so bad. So we start riding and suddenly I realize d I had lost my hat , Told Mary I gotta go get my hat, She said it’s just a hat . I looked at her and said it’s my Fred Bear autographed hat, I HAVE to go get it .So I dismounted and ran back and down the embankment to fetch it .That’s when my wife realized what she was getting into Lol . Now married over 44 yrs

10-Feb-24
Gh - I never knew Bill Tutt was Fred's son-in-law. I met Bill a number of times at his lodge.

10-Feb-24
If some of our teenage thrill seekers wanna get a thrill let them go up to the NW territories and seek a Brown bear Polar bear.. They will get their thrill and it will cleanse their soul.-Fred Bear

I have been face to face with a bear at 3-5 paces with only a recurve in hand (didn't have a lisc.) while bleeding from a broadhead cut (remember uncovered broadhead quivers?). More than my soul was cleansed that day.

• Sitka Gear