DanaC 17-Feb-24
Jebediah 17-Feb-24
Cougar 17-Feb-24
Proline 17-Feb-24
Big Dog 18-Feb-24
spike78 18-Feb-24
DanaC 19-Feb-24
08-Feb-24
This morning I participated in 2023 MA Wildlife Survey this is my input at the end of the survey I’m sure it’ll fall on deaf ears.

“ I’m sure this comes up often as to WHY the commonwealth still does not allow us to hunt on Sundays. Pathetic this law has not changed at least for bow hunters shame on our reps and senators you all suck look at this up and coming gun bill where none of us can change because of politics rules the rest of us. Sad my contact and input to my rep and senator goes silent. Kindly send this to our governor perhaps if I came into this state illegally she’d grant me permission to Sunday hunt and wouldn’t Ef with my 2nd amendment. Sincerely Tim Morris PS Give my love to Rep. Michael S. Day I’m sure he’s conjuring up a bill to no longer allow Saturday hunting. “

08-Feb-24
...And no talking about it on Monday through Sunday.

08-Feb-24
I also took the survey today but it never dawned on me to mention Sunday hunting in the comment section.

08-Feb-24
Sunday hunting are you kidding me. We are about to lose our second amendment rights on a bill that is the most anti second amendment bill in the entire united states!!!

09-Feb-24
Yes I guess Sunday hunting in Mass. is just a dream.It would be nice considering many hunters work six days a week.

09-Feb-24
I doubt it will ever happen... this state is a joke... Sorry... "commonwealth"...

09-Feb-24
I'm still about 17 years from retirement, and had considered retirement in some part of MA as my GF has a house and family here, but I don't think it's going to happen. Laws and restrictions keep getting tighter and tighter. I feel like they're going to force me out.

09-Feb-24

northeast_afield's Link
This year I saw the least amount of engagement on this issue (or any other hunting related legislative issue) then I have seen in about eight years. Perhaps it was coincidence, but the Environment and Natural Resources committee hearing on hunting bills was scheduled for an afternoon during the first week of the shotgun season, so that could have been an impact. There maybe were four or five of us representing hunters (I think just a county league and BHA for organizations, so basically just 2-3 individual citizens). I know we had some impact, as I had a number of follow up conversations, but overall it wasn't a good showing. The testimony that came from the people against Sunday hunting (and there were a bunch of them) was more pointed than ever before. The gist of some, "they are less than 1%, why do they even get 6 days?". We've made progress in some other areas, but we all have to dig in for the long haul.

Here is a roundup of some of the stuff from this year. Obviously, some of it is still in play, but it will provide a good overview of some of the issues.

09-Feb-24
I got 10 years max left till joyous time. I will not b here at that point.

09-Feb-24
Keep in mind that MassWildlife is PRO Sunday hunting. It's not up to them.

Focus on respectfully working with reps and senators. It may not work, but at least it won't make them consider taking days away at some point... And while I know some folks have an issue with BHA, supporting organizations like that, which actually have and continue to help improve our options in areas from fishing access to hunting access and seasons, is really valuable.

Northeast - thank you for what you guys have done - you have moved the needle and gotten some wins, which is pretty unique in a state as suburbanized as MA.

I took the survey today as well. In the comments, I noted that I hoped we would get a few good acorn years as the last few have been pretty low mast, and I put in a good word for a hunting buddy who works for the agency.

09-Feb-24
Will plays nice. It's been decades of playing nice.

Frankly, I don't want to hear anymore about reduction in setbacks for archery, or Sunday hunting from MA hunters until MA hunters boycott buying licenses.

ONE LAST TIME - > Pay attention.

~40% of MassWildlife funding comes from Hunting Licenses and tags. MassWildlife has to establish their operating budgets for the following year by July of the current calendar year. So MW has to set their budgets for 2025 by July of 2024. If no one is buying licenses and tags, it's a ~40% funding shortfall. The result of this would be kicking and screaming of MW to the MA state legislature which would have to initiate emergency funding for MW.

With the license and tags protest being about Sunday hunting and/or setbacks, it puts pressure on the state legislature to actually address and PASS legislation for Sunday Hunting and/or Setbacks.

This is politics. It's not happy, it's not sane. It's not about what's good. It's about money and strong arming people. How the HELL DO YOU THINK UNIONS WORK?!?!?!?!

SO...stop buying licenses and tags, or shut-up. It's been 40+years of playing nice, and hunters in MA are NO CLOSER!! Spread the word, stop buying licenses and tags.

"But SOSSO YOU STUPID ASSHOLE!! If we don't buy licenses and tags, we can't hunt!" Correct! You will lose Spring Thunder Chicken season, but MW will be screaming about budget shortfall well before July, and very likely legislation for Sunday hunting will be pushed through to ensure MW funding, especially now with budget shortfalls because as it turns out, Blue states don't know jack shit about illegal immigration. This is a great year for Hunter political leverage. So it's highly likely that you will STILL be able to hunt .in the fall, after you get your way

Don't buy licenses or tags for this year. Do that, or just shoosh! Multiple lobbyists groups keep pushing for Sunday hunting and they're actually doing WORSE in the legislative processes than had they NOT lobbied. STOP....BUYING....LICENSES!!!

This is the way the game is played. Stop being a child and square up on the problem.

09-Feb-24
Thank you for telling MassWildlife you would like to add legal hunting on Sundays. They were probably unaware license holders wanted this, and now they will use their power to get this done!!!

09-Feb-24
Arrow, no they won't. They do the "Sunday Hunting Study" every other year and have been doing it for a decade. This is not new.

09-Feb-24
Get out of here w ur sarcasm lol

09-Feb-24
I'd rather hunt 6 days a week than zero.many surrounding states to get that extra day.

09-Feb-24
weird. first year in probably a dozen that I didn't get the Survey. wonder if they saw that I wasn't hunting much in 2023 and figured 'why bother'

09-Feb-24
I’m 6-8 years away from retirement and planning to leave Massachusetts behind I do not belong here with the liberals! Sosso I agree it would be painful to not hunt but hitting them were it hurts could be the answer!

10-Feb-24
I didn’t get a survey either, was wondering what you guys were talking about

10-Feb-24
I have never received a survey. Sosso I agree that’s what needs to be done along with not renewing our gun permits. Why do I need a gun permit for my gun to sit in the house and not be carried?

10-Feb-24
I think it's a random sample and not everyone, who geets the survey. Could be wrong, but that was my impression. I've gotten it a handful of times over the past 10-15 years, like 3-4X perhaps.

11-Feb-24
Second amendment extends to all bearable arms including bows. A lot depends upon interpretation and a lot also depends upon who says the magic words, "I'm offended ". Look out folks; your rights are up for grabs under the guise the Constitution is OUTDATED.

11-Feb-24
Seems like I used to get it every year. Kind of enjoyed filling it out, which is kind of weird. The best part was trying to figure out how many days I hunted “when there was snow on the ground.”

13-Feb-24
Northeast can you explain the WMAs and climate change part? Do they want to keep the trees up or put solar panels on state land?

13-Feb-24
I got the survey, one thing that stood out to me was the amount of questions regarding wildlife seen this year during deer season was noticeably less.

@Tinkocker Sadly your poor choice of words and grammar will only further paint hunters in a negative light, you may think venting your frustrations in that manner will get your point across but they sadly will only push legislators to limit hunters rights.

14-Feb-24
Yo don. What makes you an expert ? How the he'll do you know what it will take for them to reconsider ? Being rude to a fellow frustrated hunter is counter productive. When u step in kaka your foot stinks.

14-Feb-24
Don....poor form.( I know you didn't mean it). This ain't no English class.

15-Feb-24
Spike - Regarding WMAs and Climate Change. For the last several years, there has been a growing movement that would like to end habitat management on WMA (and forestry operations of any kind on state lands). Instead, they would like to allow the forest to be completely left alone, so as to sequester as much carbon as possible. They have gone so far as to introduce bills where groups would be formed that would take over management of WMAs and could potentially exclude activities in an effort to protect the development of an old growth reserve. Needless to say, we don't like these efforts. With what little land is actually public in the state, particularly WMAs, we want them to be managed as they are intended - for wildlife, fishing, and hunting opportunities. Global climate change will not be impacted by what does or does not occur on a couple hundred thousand acres of public land in the state of Massachusetts; however, the species richness and diversity of the Northeast (particularly Southern New England) can be positively impacted (and maybe with that, the hunting) scientifically informed habitat management.

I hope that answers your question!

15-Feb-24
Awesome NEAffield!

15-Feb-24
Thanks NEA. Why do I think if these management "groups " are formed hunting will either be disallowed or made complicated in some areas?

15-Feb-24
NEA I have a question…im out of the hell hole in mass now as i moved to NC, but I was up home last weekend and running the dog with my old man and couldn’t help but notice 5-6 metal detector guys digging holes everywhere. Prime spots for people and dogs to break a leg come bird season. All on WMA land. We have to share land with non paying people yet they get to destroy it and no one will say anything to them? The only good group up there at this particular WMA is the veterans who fly their RC planes and were almost kicked out by the new guy in charge. So kick people out who arnt damaging but then turn a blind eye to these people leaving 4-5-6-8” holes all over the place. How do you suggest that be taken care of..? Any ideas who we can reach out to cuz wildlife management office didn’t give a hoot when my dad called

16-Feb-24
Big Dog - I think we'll be okay for now on this issue, as they've heard us and others on the WMAs, which is good, but if they had their way, you probably would be correct.

MA-PA. If I were to guess, all those activities are probably not allowed on WMAs. The best thing to do is to notify the EPOs. Share the information you've got with them. In my experience, they have been very good about looking into things. Obviously, you might not get the immediate response you would like to get, but if it is on their radar, or they have information to go on, they will follow through. They have more officers than they have in the past, so hopefully that will help with future enforcement of stuff across the board.

16-Feb-24
Years ago I got an inexpensive metal detector “for my kids.” Predictably, I found it more interesting than they did, despite never finding anything beyond basically junk. But at the time I looked into it, and perhaps not surprisingly there are laws pertaining to where you can or cannot use your metal detector. There’s a laundry list of things you can’t do on (Mass) state property, including the metal detector if I remember right. Also on the list were some bizarre things like “hold a carnival” or something to that effect. So I was disappointed when I had to cancel my carnival.

16-Feb-24
Jebediah - Warning. Don't check out metal detecting on YouTube! My father did and between all the "cool" videos he sends me and his own missions on Cape Cod beaches, it might be a slippery slope. :-)

16-Feb-24
MAPA/NEA/Jeb... Metal detecting on WMA and DCR land is not legal in MA to my knowledge. Actually was hunting with a buddy on Wachussett watershed (off reservoir) land a couple years ago, and some dude comes metal detecting through the woods right under my buddy. He called DCR from the tree, and they sent a ranger who spoke to the guy and gave him a warning - it would be a ticket (dont know how much) if he was caught doing it again.

MAPA, if the fam see's that again, call the EPO or DCR folks pending the land. They will get the boot.

16-Feb-24
Thanks for the warning northeast. I don’t think I have a tendency toward that particular addiction. About once a year I get it in my head to play with the metal detector, which I then do, and it’s out of my system. The YouTube videos could be risky, though. Will, it’s heartwarming to hear of that type of enforcement. Hopefully other regs are enforced with similar rigor. Such as carnivals, arm wrestling competitions, and off-leash, prolifically-defecating dogs.

16-Feb-24
He called the epo. Same story as when we called when they were riding 4 wheelers with kids on the back and no helmets on.. basically “we don’t have time, they’ll be gone when we get there” “so your not gonna keep this on the radar?” “Well we don’t have someone out there often sir”

17-Feb-24
"Instead, they would like to allow the forest to be completely left alone, so as to sequester as much carbon as possible. "

Yup, because using wood for construction doesn't sequester carbon. Because lush understory growth doesn't sequester carbon. Because thinning the forest and letting the remaining trees get all the crown space they can use doesn't help sequester carbon. These people are absolute imbeciles, but they are causing a lot of havoc.

17-Feb-24
A year or so ago I made my way through a swamp (not meadow-swamp, but up-to-your-arse-in-mud swamp) to a large island that I thought would be an undisturbed wildlife mecca. Because only a nutcase would go in there. To my disappointment, it was devoid of life altogether, and I figured out why: it had never been logged. Completely bare understory, allowing an unobstructed view of absolutely nothing, under a canopy of million-year-old gigantic trees. Aside from arguing that there was a great spectrum of microorganisms in the soil, or a huge collection of birds in the trees, I find it hard to believe that this island was a reservoir of biodiversity. Log baby log!

17-Feb-24
Anyone who's ever hiked in the Holyoke range knows there is zero understory. The caterpillar issues actually helped by killing off some of the old oaks and opening up the understory. The science folks forget that wildfire would completely wipe out section of forest periodically if we let things run "naturally" ... we put those out so logging is the next best thing for the ecosystem

17-Feb-24
I dont think your idea would work Sosso. If 40% of the funding got cut I think the majority of them politicians wouldnt give a darn.

18-Feb-24
Hit 'em in the pocketbook; works every time.

18-Feb-24
Hit them in their pocket book or ours lol

19-Feb-24
Have to agree with Proline. I don't want to punish MassWildlife for what is out of their control.

• Sitka Gear