Live2Hunt 09-Feb-24
Drop Tine 09-Feb-24
dpms 09-Feb-24
Hoot 09-Feb-24
MjF 13-Feb-24
Pasquinell 13-Feb-24
Live2Hunt 13-Feb-24
08-Feb-24
Do trad shooter purists argue 3 fingers under or split finger when shooting? Many historical photos of Indians shooting show pinching the arrow between their thumb and fore finger.

08-Feb-24
They say 3 under is more aiming the arrow and split is more instinctive.

Bill McCrary will know more.

08-Feb-24
Pas - There are traditional bowhunters on this forum who know more about and can offer a better opinion on this than I. I hope one or more of them will enter the discussion and offer their opinion. I do know there are discussions in the trad archery community about which method of shooting is better, i.e., "three under" or "split finger." And I have heard comments and read where this method or the other is better for this sort of shooting. In my opinion I think it comes down to what each archer is most comfortable with and perhaps which method he/she originally learned with. When using trad gear I always use the split finger method,...whether shooting instinctive or with a sight on the bow, that's what I learned with and what I am most comfortable with. For me, that's the best method to use; for the next guy, perhaps not.

As far as what is best for everyone, I cannot comment on that. I don't know.

With regard to native Americans using the "pinch finger" method, I believe that is the most popular method amongst the indigenous people of North America. Any photo of an authentic American Indian shooting original native American tackle that I have seen shows the "pinch finger" method being used. Specifically, I refer to ISHI IN TWO WORLDS by Theodora Kroeber; there are photos in this book showing Ishi shooting a bow. He's at full draw and appears ready to release the arrow. He sure looks like he is using the "pinch finger" method. Over the years I have seen a few other photos in various publications that showed authentic native Americans also using this method of drawing the arrow. I do not recall ever seeing a photo of any other draw method being used by a native America.

I hope an active and knowledgeable trad shooter who is on this forum will address this issue. I am sure we all could benefit from his comments.

08-Feb-24
I tried 3 finger down for 2 months. I'm back to 2 down & 1 up . But I am 100 % instinctive . I draw back the arrow & say , " May the force be with you . " and release .

08-Feb-24
I do not believe they argue, both methods are commonly used. Most traditional hunters I have know the past 60 years use the split finger method. All styles can work, personal preference I guess.

08-Feb-24
I found three under perhaps easier to draw, and easier to hold, but as soon as I split (again), I had the index finger to hold a consistent anchor. I believe the discussion of "walking" the string is where you'll see stronger opinions in the traditional world.

08-Feb-24
I've never tried three under and use split all the time. It takes practice and more practice but I find it more gratifying (in my opinion.) I'm shooting Tred Barta arrows with field tips for practice. Lost Nation arrows tipped with Ace broadheads to hunt with. All split finger

I don't have the finger hand strength for pinch method.

08-Feb-24
I always used split fingers my entire life. I never felt comfortable with three fingers under. Tried a release only one time during practice and it was not for me.

08-Feb-24
I vacillate between my compound and a recurve so I am far from a traditional purist. I have found three below works better for me. I cannot say why but I have tried both and I seem to be a bit more consistent with 3 fingers below.

08-Feb-24
I started split, but went 3 under in the 80s. I also liked to string walk for distance, using dental floss I covered with different colors, for my distance marks.

One shoot a guy went insane at Ojibwa, shooting a 3d course. A true purist. I told the guy to take it easy, I don't keep score,,,ha ha

08-Feb-24
Split Finger for me. Tried 3 under and found it made my bows noisier. Also just doesn't feel comfortable to me. 3 under seems popular with gap shooters... But I'll tell you those string walkers are weird dudes...:>) Not sure why anyone would care how somebody else places their fingers on the string? At least their fingers are on the string where they belong...

08-Feb-24
Always split but 2 months into a new ilf bow so I can adjust the tiller if I want to try something new.

08-Feb-24
I eat sleep and drink stickbows, but im not a snob or purist. Three under or spit have been debated on the leatherwall since it came on line, along with other trad sites. I dont believe they are real arguments, just a difference of shooting style type debate. For the record, I used to shoot split and switched to 3 under a few years ago. My bows are not noticeable difference in loudness. Now me and my hunting partner Todd argue about the 2, but then again we argue about everything lol

08-Feb-24

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
RUGER1022's embedded Photo
Tried 1st & 2nd Toes but shot too high .

08-Feb-24
Always shot split works great. Tried 3 under and groups got tighter seemed the way to go on targets. Hunting situations instinct always went split finger. With the loss of the pointer finger thinking ill go back to 3 under since nothing feels right!

08-Feb-24
Want to see a 3 under shooter, Steve Gore will be at the WTA banquet and doing demos. Myself, switched in 86 and haven't looked back, cleaner release but each to their own.

08-Feb-24
Never heard them argue about it and don't know that purist label may mean in regards to the question.

Hey shoot both ways kind of a modified form of facewalking. Works fora few, close in three under, farther out split, give both a try and see what works best.

09-Feb-24
I shoot split. Every year I try the three under but just don't like it as it is not comfortable or natural for me. Funny thing I noticed was it made my arrows act stiff that are tuned for my bow with split. So, for me it seems to be slower or a loss of energy. Both ways are good, yes split is more associated with instinctive aiming and 3 under and string walking are a hard aiming method. I really do not like the string walking, but to each there own.

09-Feb-24
I have always shot split finger when shooting with fingers. I have a crook in my fore finger that bends in towards my middle finger that gets really sore after shooting a while even with a glove. I’m

09-Feb-24
I have moved to gap shooting and much prefer three under but I am not a purist either. I only target shoot with my longbow.

09-Feb-24
RUGER, NOW THAT WAS FUNNY.

13-Feb-24

MjF's embedded Photo
MjF's embedded Photo
Awesome picture of Geronimo using the pinch method

13-Feb-24
I'm wondering if self nocks had anything to do with why? I can't imagine there was much poundage in bows??? Either that or vice grips for finger strength.

13-Feb-24
I can't tell by the pic, but there is a way that looks like your pinching with just the thumb and index finger but your middle finger is wrapped around the string. I have seen it on youtube.

• Sitka Gear