Dthfrmabove1 09-Feb-24
DanaC 10-Feb-24
DanaC 10-Feb-24
Will 10-Feb-24
Pi 10-Feb-24
Big Dog 11-Feb-24
DanaC 11-Feb-24
09-Feb-24
I bow hunt because I love to; because I love environs where Whitetails are found which are beautiful to me and hate where deer are not found which seems invariably ugly often raped of trees , gravel, and chopped up into house lots; because of all the woke BS , cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I avoid; because in a world where men spend so much time doing things they hate bow hunting is an endless source of delight ; because deer in my woods cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power but respond only to patience and inner strength; because we only come this way once and I for one don't want to waste the trip.

09-Feb-24
I agree!

09-Feb-24
Tru dat ! We r the outliers. And slimming every day. Crazy. But keep in mind this is a Massachusetts web site.

09-Feb-24
Tend to broadly agree. I've pondered this lately: If I choose not to shoot another deer, would I still "hunt" and enjoy it? Yes. Being where they live, seeing them do their thing, getting close enough - un-noticed - to have a quality archery shot... A truly amazing experience. That thought exercise lead me to realize that I'm ok without shooting deer or catching fish etc. I've really found that being there, the experience of that, it the key stone for me.

Regrettably for the deer, they taste good, and I should be getting 1.2-2.2 grams per kilo of protein per day... Tough combo, for them.

09-Feb-24
I saw what you did there - any 'Robert Traver' fan would instantly recognize his "Testament" ;-)

09-Feb-24
Testament Of A Fisherman

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful, and I hate the environs where crowds of people are found, which are invariably ugly; because of all the television commercials, cocktail parties, and assorted social posturing I thus escape; because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience; because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I for one don't want to waste the trip; because mercifully there are no telephones on trout waters; because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness; because bourbon out of an old tin cup always tastes better out there; because maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant -- and not nearly so much fun."

Robert Traver

09-Feb-24
DC, excellent observation. How right you are !! I saw this done as a funeral reading and didn't catch the author's name but probably should have mentioned those circumstances in my thread. My apologies for not giving credit to the source of a few beautiful phrases that were as fitting for bow hunting as they were for fly fishing.

09-Feb-24
100%! I love the whole experience. Realistically, if I could, I would become a guide somewhere and would be perfectly fine with never killing another deer. I get just as much fun and excitement setting up and helping someone else fill a tag. I helped all of our NY set ups this year and mass at home for my dad and brother and they killed deer in both places. Even tho I wasn’t there I still got the rush and satisfaction when I got the calls and videos sent to me! Granted, will I go the rest of my life without killing another one?? Heck no!

09-Feb-24
Gotta admit, the prospect of my son/daughter getting a turkey this year is significantly more exciting than the thought of me getting one...Good point MAPA.

09-Feb-24
It has always been about the journey and not the end result for me. I like putting the pieces of the puzzle together and watching them unfold. I really don’t think there is a better thing than seeing that sun come up on a frosty morning and watching the woods come alive !!

10-Feb-24
(Just to be clear, it was not my intention to bust BD's chops. He did a good job making a parallel to the original. As a writer, I am a stickler for attribution. I apologize if that came off any other way.)

10-Feb-24
(My own 'Robert Traver' story)

"We The Jury" Copyright 2002

By Dana Charbonneau

Okay, technically I was guilty. I killed the SOB. But it wasn't murder, see? The guy had it coming.

It happened on a gorgeous June morning, on the C&R stretch of the Deerfield River. There was a hatch of little tan caddis coming off, and for a change I had the right fly in my vest. Better yet, I had two dozen. Last time out I had one lousy fly to match the hatch, and a big rainbow had ripped it off my tippet. The bastard.

Today I had it wired, and the river was rewarding me. Then I heard a faint ringing. Tinnitus? As a kid I'd pulled skeet at the local rod & gun club, and never worn ear protection. Back then it was considered sissified. Now I was half deaf and sometimes heard phones ringing where there weren't any. I shrugged it off and kept fishing. Another rainbow came to the net and was released.

The ringing came back, louder. I turned around and saw another angler downstream of me, who tucked his rod under his arm, reached into his vest and pulled out one of those cellular phones. What the hell... I turned back and devoted my attention to a midstream boulder, where I'd just seen a rise. I laid out a good cast and dropped the caddis three feet upstream of the lie. Wham! And I was on to a good fish, bigger than any I'd hooked today. Heck, Bigger than any I'd gotten this year. I was finally able to turn him in the slower water, and brought him to the net.

"Nice fish," came a voice behind me. "What did he take?"

I was startled, then turned around. It was the phone guy. I looked closer. Typical yuppie, neon hat, executive haircut. I half expected wingtip wading shoes. His vest reeked of newness. Were those creases? Oh well, you've got to be polite.

"Tan caddis, size 20, with a synthetic wing," I replied. Might as well get a newbie into a few fish.

"Can I see that?" he asked.

"Sure." I held it up for him.

"Geez, that's small! Where did you buy those?"

I bristled momentarily, since I haven't bought a fly in eight years. Materials by the bushel, yeah, and the old lady bitching about the cost when she ain't bitching about the mess, but no flies. Not that he could relate to that. He'd never tie a fly, bet on it. And his wife drove an Accura if she didn't drive a Beemer.

"I tie these myself," I answered. "You have any 7x tippet? Take a couple of these, use 3 feet of tippet, and watch out for drag. These fish don't go for skittered flies."

? "Wow, thanks. Umm, what's a skittered fly? I never heard of it."

"Skittering is when you deliberately drag a caddis across the surface. Sometimes it gets 'em to hit, but these fish are too educated, and they're fussy about presentation."

"I see. Well, thank you." With that he walked away. I resumed fishing, getting a few more small fish, then decided to head back to the truck for a sandwich and a cold beer. I crossed the shallows to the old railroad bed. Heading downstream it occurred to me that I needed to take a leak, so I shrugged off the vest and lowered the waders. Then I heard the ringing again. I peered through the brush to the water and spotted the phone guy again.

"Dave here. Yeah, Jim, I've gotten three just in the last ten minutes! Fantastic! Some old guy gave me a couple flies, tan caddis, size 20. They were pretty ratty looking, but I had a dozen good ones in my vest, so that's what I switched to. What? Oh, I threw 'em out. Hey, try that caddis sub-emerger in size 18. Let me know how it works out. Yeah, I'll call you back in fifteen. Lunch? Sure, I've got some brie in the cooler, and a nice Riesling chilling. Catch ya."

Well, I hitched up my waders, ambled back upstream around the bend, and re-entered the water. I sidled up to him.

"Hi again," I started in.

"Oh, hi! Say, those caddis are just the ticket. I've gotten four good ones on them already."

"That's nice," I replied. Just then his phone rang. As he turned to answer, I pulled a rock out of my vest pocket and brained him. He slumped into the water, the current taking him slowly downstream. I headed up to the next pool, switched to a larva pattern, and managed to catch a beautiful brownie.

Of course, there was a witness, and I'd been hauled off to jail. All the facts came out in the course of the trial. Now the prosecuting DA was having a field day.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, not only did Mister Clark coldly and brutally murder the victim, but after he committed this heinous crime, he returned to the river and, with calm deliberation, resumed his trout fishing as though nothing had occurred. This cold-blooded disregard for the life of a fellow human can only merit the most severe punishment. I ask you to consider this when you review the evidence, and find Mister Clark guilty of murder! Thank you."

My attorney stepped up. Per my instructions, he wordlessly handed each juror a copy of Robert Traver's "Testament Of A Fisherman." My only hope lay in those immortal words. "I fish... because mercifully there are no telephones on trout streams."

The jury deliberated for twenty minutes and returned a verdict of "Not Guilty." Somewhere above the courtroom, the Honorable John Voelker, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of Appeals of Michigan, smiled.

(Historical Note: "Robert Traver" was the pen name of the late John Voelker, former attorney, District Attorney, and Judge. Among his works were the books 'Trout Madness,' 'Trout Magic,' and the novel 'Anatomy of a Murder,' which was made into an Academy Award-winning movie.)

10-Feb-24
That was awesome Dana!!!

10-Feb-24
Yup,X2 .

11-Feb-24
DC, enjoyed your short story. Very well written.

11-Feb-24
Thanks for all the kind words - and please note that was written back 20+ years ago when I was able to write more than one or two coherent paragraphs ;-)

• Sitka Gear