BigEight 20-Feb-24
xtroutx 20-Feb-24
xtroutx 20-Feb-24
MjF 20-Feb-24
BigEight 20-Feb-24
jjs 20-Feb-24
BigEight 20-Feb-24
10-Feb-24
On Bowsite we talk about many things that hurt our great pass time like crossbows baiting trespassing wolves ect another great pastime I love is fishing I watched 3 shows today with top guides in Wisconsin and now we have this forward image,side image spot lock etc and people bitching about Walleye harvest just like our decline in deer the whole outdoor life is falling apart I shake my head

10-Feb-24
What's happened to fishing is a carbon copy of what's happened to hunting. An invasion of technology driven by the "industry" to make it easier. Fisherman are infatuated with it and are unable to agree on where to draw the line. And so it goes...

10-Feb-24
The only upside to this technology, is there is a trend where many people are releasing their fish. Not just fish, but breeder fish. I truly believe the guys keeping the most fish, are those who don't have the technology. I will admit that I've seen a decline in fish numbers as well.

10-Feb-24
Brick , when Walleye spearing started about 35 years ago I called the DNR . I told them that unless they come up with a program to replace every Walleye & it's eggs that are lost every single year , the Walleye population will decline every single year . A group of us figured that we would need 5 fish Hatcheries to maintain a fish population that would provide nice fishing for all .

Nothing happened . I'll say it again . The head of the DNR & board members responsible for fishing & hunting need to be elected positions. If they don't what we want Vote them out .

10-Feb-24
Oh Glenn I agree totally with you I have tried for years sending emails going to county meetings in Iron and Vilas county’s people looked at me like go lay some more brick honestly I gave up and I haven’t done that often

10-Feb-24
The DNR has no control over treaty rights.

10-Feb-24
Exactly Retro , that's why they need to replace the lost fish.

When I Iived in NV my new hunt partners took me fishing in CA FOR Bass & Trout . The fishing was amazing. At one impoundment a warden checked our catch & boat when we came in . He logged all fish we kept and told me they count every fish all season long . He said , " How else can we stock all the lakes every year if we don't know what's being caught . " WOW .

They last 3 states I lived in KS , NV , & CA , had exc. Fishing & exc. Stocking .

11-Feb-24
The lake I was on wasn’t speared or fished hard and we released 2000 walleye fry every other year the bass boomed in the lake and did there toll on walleye fry but when I would leave and fished other lakes it was a desert I’ve always felt bad for giving up I tried to get more people to go with me but the support wasn’t there then the deer herd did the same thing before my eyes I started to get bears and of coarse wolves bobcat boom fisher boom I brought that up at meetings one man on the board in Iron county said to me they have a place in the woods just like you uggh

11-Feb-24
Then your saying the science is wrong. They do population estimates, creel surveys, etc... After tribal declaration, bag limits are adjusted for hook and line anglers. Treaty rights are here to stay. But you have to wonder why they still allow hook and line anglers to slaughter crappies and bluegills when there on their beds? If we want better walleye populations, why aren't we protecting our rivers in the spring when we allow the circus below the dams? How about all the development on lakes? Destruction of so much of the natural spawning habitat making us even more reliant on stocking? How about all the giant HP watercraft putting our lakes in constant washing machine mode all summer? Ever seen these new wake boats in action? Scouring the lake bottoms and smashing boats and docks with huge waves... Yeah...it's just treaty rights destroying our fishing... Of course if you mention any of this, I'm sure it just makes you an elitist snob...

11-Feb-24
My thought on forward sonar? If you have one in your boat or on the ice no fish may be kept. Panfish limits have been adjusted, but they need restriction on the larger panfish, not the smaller, they can overpopulate and stunt. LM Bass do not need to be in large numbers on walleye lakes, there should be no size limit on them in walleye lakes. Yes, the tribes destroy natural reproduction on lakes.

11-Feb-24
I do not have nor do I use forward imaging or side scanning sonar. But, neither of those can or will make a fish eat a bait.

11-Feb-24
The forward image puts you exactly on the fish. Ice fishing you drill a hole, stick it down, turn it 360 and it tells you the distance and direction.

11-Feb-24
Right on Retro. We (man) will slowly destroy everything we touch and blame others for the demise. It's all about money generated and the desire to reduced effort into something we want. All in the name of technology and achieving one's goals regardless of long term outcome.

I have fished in a bass club for the last 10 years of so. There are only six boats and twelve guys. For the last five or six years, numbers are down as well as weight of each fish. The launching docks are packed now and majority are wave making boats with loud obnoxious music blaring from them. My wife and I watched three gentlemen put 75 bluegills in their boat while fishing beds. Most being potatoe chip filets.

Yes there are exceptions and not everyone is guilty but the 12 southern Wisconsin lakes we fish have been affected by electronics, numbers of watercraft and greed over the last few years.

Pete Pec they might be catch and releasing by you but here in the south I don't see it and numbers don't reflect it on the lakes we fish down here.

11-Feb-24
We would always manage to put two or three 5 LB bass in the boat per season. We haven't had that weight for four years and heaviest recorded at just over 3 lbs since. The majority are 1 1/2 - 2 lbs now.

11-Feb-24
Pasq, Society has become so overtaken with ego and greed, it can't even see straight anymore... As with hunting, there doesn't seem to be a line we can't justify crossing...

11-Feb-24
Wake boats? Our cabin is on a 900 acre lake with 3’ humps with stumps all over. Them damn wake board boats running all over it, logs sticking up in places they have gone over, plus the wakes they make. We have the no skiing, wake boarding or jet skis after 7:00, but they go out until dark anyway. Etiquette is gone with all outdoor activity. Pontooners come right next to you where you can’t cast for how close they are when you’re anchored and obviously fishing a spot. The only satisfaction is when you know they are going to hit something and they do. This even if I tell them they can’t get through. Summer is a bad time nowadays to try and peacefully fish. Etiquette in hunting has gone the same way.

11-Feb-24
Live, As far as hurting natural reproduction, what's the difference between a walleye getting speared in April or an ice fisherman removing the same fish in winter while it's eggs are developing?

11-Feb-24
I believe we are all part of the problem, some perhaps more than others.

11-Feb-24
My son was on the ice about a month ago and was in a group of 40 or so guys fishing walleyes on lake poygan. He said for the first time he noticed he was out numbered significantly by the number of guys fishing live scope to guys just using flashers. People have no problem dumping $2500 for this technology.

11-Feb-24
Retro, the walleyes getting speared are the ones that made it to spawn. Which they had always been able to spawn in the past. Now with spearing, these fish that made it to spawn are removed. We lost natural reproduction on lakes when the spearing started in the 80’s. It is the only reason some body’s of water no fish could be kept.

11-Feb-24
I agree spearing is an issue. But any walleye harvested by hook and line anglers isn't going to make it to spawn again either. A significant portion of walleye harvest by hook and line anglers happens through the ice. We will never have control over treaty rights but it seems to me allowing hook and line anglers 10 months of the year to harvest walleyes certainly doesn't help anything. Especially given the technology now in play to catch fish. If anybody thinks that this technology isn't a game changer, your living in a fantasy world. Wait, as more and more people discover it and learn how to use it...

11-Feb-24
There's so much to say about humans, and it's something most people refuse to recognize. In my opinion, humans are in fact animals, and too many humans are too full of themselves to admit it. In Earth's long history of 4.5 billion years, we've had 5 mass extinctions. I'm certain Earth will eventually get a do-over, and likely we will no longer be part of the landscape, but until then, humans (the only animal that changes its environment to live within it), will continue to grow not only in population, but in creativity until we cannot. The future human will be unfathomable to comprehend with our simple minds of today, but what is coming will really seem far more terrible than it is today, or was 50 or 100 years ago. It doesn't make it right, but it's who we are. Destructive consumers who demand to steal the resources this world provides. Every single one of us is guilty, and the level in which we consume is the only difference we can contest. Often people reminisce of times past, and wish it was now like it was then, but meanwhile relish in the modern conveniences that we invented, so we sort of like the best of both worlds? We talk about the woods and water assuming that the resource should be never-ending. We complain how bad things are, and still we try to get our share? In just 50 years, our own State's population has grown from 4.5 million to 5.9 million residents, and worldwide from 4 billion to doubled at 8 billion. Again, in just 50 years!!! While I'll agree that there needs to be rule changes put in place to stop those who take at the current "legal" rate, there also needs to be some self regulated restraint for those who agree that their observations prove the resources aren't being replenished at a rate that is sustainable, and need to stop doing and taking what we want to blame the other guy for. If we don't compensate for those who take more, we are doomed to eternity hoping that an insurrection is going to take place lol.

Yes, that's a mouthful, but ultimately we are up against terrible odds. To please the masses, you have to offer something we can all take part in, but if the only answer is to impose new rules and regulations to stop the other guy from taking advantage of the current availability, then it might be wise to stop taking part. Even if you feel like your "share" has no impact? I'm suggesting it does.

No, that's not easy to hear, and not easy to say, but they are some truthful words. I know I use restraint. I know I have self imposed rules. I know I could legally take more. I also know I'm guilty of taking a portion as well. Are we asking for some governing agency to help us (all of us) use restraint? Good luck! Now back to my regularly scheduled cynicism.

11-Feb-24
Excellent piece Pete.

11-Feb-24
I’m expecting education for people to make them realize what they are doing to the resources with this new technologies and what we need to do to keep the resources for generations. Todays resources cannot handle the make it easier approach with the tech. It starts with each of us.

11-Feb-24
I'm afraid today's resources as well as yesterday's resource couldn't handle the redworm on an Aberdeen hook on a cane pole blindly fishing on a riverbank. I know you remember the days of 50 panfish limits? That was adjusted long before decent electronics were available. The fact that we have invented even greater advantages only proves we are likely doomed to abstaining, such as catch and release, or photography, or fishing in an aquarium or hunting high fenced game. My personal belief as we populate and advance, is we are only going to suppress the inevitable. Be happy you got to take place in the heyday, but remember, our lifetime is but a fart in the wind, and soon forgotten once our personal stink has dissipated.

11-Feb-24
The question is... Are people ignorant to what we are doing? Or is it that we are aware and really don't care?

11-Feb-24
If you want the hunting and the fishing, we had better regulate and the DNR needs to get there heads out of there asses and slow things down.

11-Feb-24
It's a whats in it for me world.

11-Feb-24
Retro, as a whole, we know, and don't care. Why? Because we are flawed and greedy. We only live roughly 85 years, and are so greedy, we need to have an afterlife to behave better than we did while living lol.

11-Feb-24
I can't get the game on. It wants me to download an app for Paramount plus by taking a picture of the dreaded square on my smart tv.... yup embrace technology.... no thanks, I'll continue living in the old days and get left behind. I'm going to read a book instead.

11-Feb-24
Pete, you cannot go wrong with a good book. If you get the Kindle out, it will read to you lol.

11-Feb-24
Pete, I agree...We simply don't care!

11-Feb-24
Hahaha! That was good!

11-Feb-24
I love technology and the advantage it gives ME . On the water and in the woods IM A SUCKER FOR ALL INDUSTRY TRINKETS.

12-Feb-24
You guys have just reinforced the reason why I fish from a kayak with a fly rod on lakes that are hard to get at….

12-Feb-24
My brother in law told me that in the 60's they would pin a balloon to a Crappie and follow the balloon around with the schooled up fish. Old school fish finder I guess. Why the need to do that???? Advantage? Greed? Hunger??? Who knows.

12-Feb-24
WI Shedhead stated "People have no problem dumping $2500 for this technology." When people spend that kind of money for FFS or a crossbow, they're much more likely to come out and vote to maintain their rights to use that product. This makes it impossible to overturn their use.

12-Feb-24
Grape, my favorite is steelhead fishing a wild river. My fear is that they will come up with a 360/side image that will strap to the leg of your waders and you can scan the holes/runs.

12-Feb-24
There are plenty of people in the woods and out on the lakes who have spent a ton of $$ for ALL the gizmos and still can't harvest a deer or catch fish.

A good hunter still has to be able to scout, play the wind, and shoot accurately, whether it's a bow, boom stick, sling shot, whatever.

A good fisherman still has to be able to find the fish, get them to bite, and successfully catch them. Electronics don't control bait presentation, bait color, retrieval speed, knowledge of the body of water, etc.

I catch walleyes because of the experience I've gained over the years on the body of waters I fish. I know where the fish typically are based on time of year, time of day, water temp, etc., what they will bite and what they won't. Electronics won't catch fish for you, just like a trail cam won't shoot a deer for you.

Agree 100% with what most of you have said about catch and release. There's NO need to fish out a spot or a lake. It's not ethical and it's certainly not being a steward of the land/water.

12-Feb-24
I am first a trout fisherman. That's why I love the UP, so much. Then it's pan fish, and walleye. I use old school methods I learned from my Fishing Facts days. I still believe Bill Binkleman could out walleye fishing anyone, with a row boat I do like a spot lock, don't have one, though. The pressure.on systems today is tremendous, I don't know how fish survive. I eat my share, plus I eat bass, if they come out of cold lakes. Technology is non stop on fishing industry.

12-Feb-24
Been reading along... Now I know that that some on here who believe this technology is detrimental to fish populations also believe the same about technology and how it relates to deer hunting. Yet, a few on here who are complaining about fishing related technology still support other technology (crossbow) improvements in the deer hunting world. Live, Retro, Pasq, Ltl Jim (to name a few), you are consistent in your beliefs. Others, not so much.

12-Feb-24
Zones- all due respect but using bumpers in a bowling alley won't guarantee a strike for you but they do increase your odds and help increase your score.

12-Feb-24
Zonks not zones sorry. These phones spell for you too! Embrace tech....

12-Feb-24
Groundhunter we’re you ever to the Fishing Facts store in Menominee Falls by the free way my Dad and I would go there every Friday night we bought a little green box from Lowrance from there had to be mid 1970s

12-Feb-24
I started with them, when they were on Oakland Ave, in Shorewood, I know the store your talking about. I had moved on. There is a fishing lure and antique fishing store, on Hwy 45, just south of Land O Lakes. Just filled with all stuff from that era. Cool place if you go by. Everything for sale.

12-Feb-24
Ground did you ever fish with Spence Petros

12-Feb-24

RUGER1022's embedded Photo
I still have several of those green boxes . When I say we need better fishing I am campaigning for the average fisherman & family.

I have no trouble catching fish . I focus on Walleye, Perch , & Smallies . I know where to find them , when to fish them , what bait to use & how to present that bait .

But most families in this state struggle. 50 years ago every weed bed had some fish . Not anymore . We need some serious stocking programs .

12-Feb-24
Zonks, Would you support the use of drones for deer hunting? I see FFS as the fishing equivalent of drones for deer hunting.

12-Feb-24
I used to fish with the manager of Fishing Facts in Meno falls. We would catch walleyes and saugers and keep them alive, then let them go in the river they had inside the store. One of the other employees was a world champ fly tier, Jamie. Went there often, until I found out they were pot heads lol.

12-Feb-24
Ruger that was the greatest thing we ever bought it saved me a lot of arm work my dad had like a 2lb anchor that he had the rope marked in two ft increments we would drop it in to figure our depth the Green Box was the cats ass

12-Feb-24
Knife that’s along time ago there were two guys there I thought were brothers and the manager all great guys I bought my first ugly stick there I thought it was the greatest rod ever I broke it walking out the cabin door I slowed down walking out bad idea

12-Feb-24

Ugly sticks , must have 15 of them .A great rod .a guy also needs 14 tackle boxes.

12-Feb-24
Made me laugh out loud Ruger

13-Feb-24
I do like that spot lock on my trolling motor. The boat I bought came with 2 helix 7's, on with side image. Never use the side image because, can't tell what I'm looking at on it. The main thing I use is the lake mapping and the marking. I like going out and hunting the walleye around sunken islands, points and especially cabbage weeds.

20-Feb-24
I am one of those devils who just bought a livescope. I agree that limits should be lowered when using this type of technology. Its an absolute game changer for suspended pan fish. For bottom dwelling walleyes it is not as much of an advantage. I will say this, a lot of the younger generation that use this technology release more fish in a good day fishing than I've seen "old timers" I know throw back in their entire lives. A lot of the older guys do it for the filet. That is not the case for a lot of the younger generation. Catch and release is much more prevalent with the younger crowd so not all is lost. I'm old enough that I started ice fishing without any type of flasher and my grandfather would roll over in his grave if he ever saw the real time info a FL-8 provides and now that is considered old school. Times change and technology advances. The difference between hunting and fishing technology is that you can release a fish to be caught another day versus the dead deer that hits the freezer every single time. I'd rather police myself ( I've only kept 10 pan fish for years) versus the government telling me what to do but I understand this technology in the wrong hands can be detrimental.

20-Feb-24
I think you are correct BigEight.

20-Feb-24
I just heard the walleye are starting to stage up on lake Michigan and the bay. Sure is early. Might be walleye fishing next week. A good month early this year.

20-Feb-24
It was interesting watching about 3 different groups chasing the big bluegills around, I sat patiently in the same hole and did just as good as they did. If I was a big fisherman I probably would buy a livescope but will rely on my Marcum and sight fishing for now.

20-Feb-24
I knew it was trouble the first time I used it. New lake. Drilled one hole. Dropped the transducer in and saw a cloud of fishing suspended over 25-30 feet of water. Drilled 46 holes on 6 inches of ice in a grid ( I counted) and chased the schools around with my Helix. I would have caught fish either way but as fast as the school was moving I would not have caught as many. This lake was a 10 fish limit (5 per species). I think you will see a lot more of that. I started fishing around 10 a.m. and counted 10 gills about 9 inches and 10 crappies that were 12-13 inches before I quit counting at 1 o'clock. I didn't keep any fish from that lake. I love a good fish fry but I don't spend 3 k on a Livescope for the filets. The tug is the drug man!!!!

Also, you have to realize it is a learning tool as well. You don't just see the what. You also see the why. Hard/soft bottom, how fish react to baits, terrain changes, dead zones that vexilar's don't pick up. I can't imagine it getting any more advanced but like Pete said, the mind doesn't know what it can't comprehend. Or is it the other way around. See, I'm an idiot.

20-Feb-24
I have an old family place on Upper Red Lake, Mn and the walleyes fishing was canceled for 10 yrs, was restocked with Lake Vermillion walleyes. During that time the crappie boom took off and became a hot spot again. The limits have fluctuated along slot limit size, what may help the lake is this winter lack of ice fishing, seen nighttime pics of icehouses that look like a city from the north to south shore, which puts a major hit on the walleye population, during the summer weather dictates the fishing time on the water, 16' is the deepest part. Time has change from the bucket and hand auger time to the Ice Castle crowd. The crappie fishing has gone due to the technology of fish finding, the horizontal viewing the schools can be followed and fished hard, the biggest improvement to the fishery is put the pan fishing opening at the same time for large mouth bass and muskies and let the spawn left alone. Way too many people chasing a limited resource. 9 million more people that came in and they will take as much as they can also, see it here all the time here on the Mississippi Rv. during the spring run, dede mau.

20-Feb-24
jjs, I fish a lake where a group of older gentlemen would fish the bogs and bays during the spawning period every day they could get out. I remember one telling me he kept 2500 crappies a year. He said he would have multiple large fish fry and five a lot of the fish away. Now, doing that math that seems impossible and more than likely a fishing story. However, it does give some insight of how some people view the resource as limitless.

• Sitka Gear