Trickle rut 15-Feb-24
Groundhunter 15-Feb-24
MjF 15-Feb-24
Trickle rut 15-Feb-24
GoJakesGo 15-Feb-24
Missouribreaks 15-Feb-24
13-Feb-24

MjF's Link
I'm not saying it's right, but this is beginning to be the norm, people taking things into their own hands (wolves). They do not disclose the cause of death but are offering a $50,000 reward for information.

13-Feb-24
I think people in Wisconsin are also being very tight lipped. I think some don't yet know what they are going to do to control them on their property. I am not saying it is right either but, if the state won't control them eventually some people will, and I can't say I blame them.

13-Feb-24
Xtroutx x2…. As the frustration builds more wolves will be killed.

13-Feb-24
I believe the wolf situation in Wisconsin for hunters will become a much larger and a major issue for the DNR and for law enforcement. As we know there are a variety of reasons for this. Perhaps additional hunters will begin following the "Shoot, shovel, and shut up" rule. (The guys love their deer, not so much the wolves.) What's the answer, how do we solve the problem? I don't know, I don't have the answers. Do you?

13-Feb-24
I have an answer but this Woke anti everything society will not allow common sense and conservation in there world. The media will not allow it, the antis will cry and the Gov will cave in. Deer hunting will loose, the supporters of the party in the office now are getting there way and our DNR's will not push back.

13-Feb-24
WI could do something about the unmanaged wolf population. Texas has proven that you don't have to bow to the Fed's when it's detrimental to your state or it's people. But WI is controlled by gutless lib's. So we know that'll never happen. The older I get, the more embarrassed I am of this state.

13-Feb-24
If we ever get them delisted will help, but what would be the fine of killing a wolf that's off the endangered list.

13-Feb-24
About 15 years ago I was tracking a deer to no avail by the way I came out of our property which was Vilas and Iron county line were it hits Michigan I’m standing in the road and here comes a truck he pulls up and stops and I see a Warden patch on his shoulder I’m like well this won’t be good loaded rifle on my shoulder it was a Michigan warden asks me what I’ve seen hunting I told him one doe in four days he then asks me how many Wolf tracks I said a lot we talk for 45 min about the preditor problems and said well I got to get going I said have a good as he’s putting his window up and says in Michigan we are seeing a rash of gut shot wolves smiled and pulled away

13-Feb-24
One year at my bear camp the warden stopped by to check things out, we had a wolf laying on the garage floor, it was brought in for a Necropsy, you should have seen the look on the warden’s face when she seen the wolf.

13-Feb-24
I’m totally fine with SSS, but I suspect few if any do as they say they would. If you do it, you need to be able to keep your mouth shut about it…. don’t tell your hunting buddy. Brother in law. Wife. Anyone. Most people can’t help themselves from bragging about something like that and that is about the only way you’ll get busted. I don’t recall any cases of hunters getting pinched for that in Wisconsin, which leads me to believe illegal shootings don’t happen a lot. I do hope I’m wrong though.

13-Feb-24
Only a pure idiot would do SSS. Most shoot and shut up. Lots of coyote hunts this winter, thinned some wolves.

13-Feb-24
Last year I ran into a bowhunter while Trout fishing . I noticed the he had 4 green arrows & 1 camouflage. He told me the camo arrow was his wolf arrow .

I didn't tell him what a Canadian guide told me 30 years ago in Saskatchewan while walking to a stand . " If you shoot a Wolf don't look at it, or take pictures, don't tell your guide , best friend , wife , Mom , or Dad . Take it to your grave knowing you saved a lot of Deer & Farm animals . "

I did tell him he shouldn't tell people that & reminded him the he could be arrested with federal charges with mandatory sentencing . It's not worth it .

14-Feb-24
I'd be willing to bet that people who boost about killing wolves AREN'T. Their just promoting the killing to make you feel you should. They want you to take the chance. If anyone on Bowsite doesn't think that the wdnr isn't monitoring this site you are foolish. If anyone is ever charged with killing a wolf DEMAND immediately a DNA test on the wolf. It is estimated that 65% of the wolves in Wis. are hybrids and not protected under the law.

14-Feb-24
I talked to a guy in a bar in the U.P. Years ago he said in Canada they were told to use a full metal jacket that way they run like hell and die a long ways from impact

14-Feb-24
I talked to a guy in a bar in the U.P. Years ago he said in Canada they were told to use a full metal jacket that way they run like hell and die a long ways from impact

14-Feb-24
In the late 90s I would hunt by myself in northern Minnesota out of a army tent with a wood stove for heat, I would buy my wood from a couple farmers up there, even at that time they would tell me if I seen a wolf please shoot it, they do it all the time to protect their livestock.

14-Feb-24
Mjf it’s the same with our live stock here in Wisconsin so many farm animals are killed and not put out for us to read about I can’t find the article of a trapper that goes to the farms he traps them the DNR comes and picks them up and releases them else were my best friend bought 95 acres in Babcock last week when they were up there talking to a land management guy nothing but Wolf tracks everywhere not much deer sign to speak of

14-Feb-24
Love it, trap and release nuisance wolves elsewhere, same as with nuisance bears. You can release them anywhere but they will always be a nuisance animal.

14-Feb-24

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
This wolf picture was taken 25 yards behind our home. Seeing wolves was a common thing around where we lived. I trapped this wolf in Northern Bayfield county. It only took me less than a day. Got this other wolf in my younger years bear hunting in Canada.

14-Feb-24
I sure do miss trapping

14-Feb-24
Good stuff there Hoot, I hope to be trapping again in 3 years.

14-Feb-24
Mike & Live - Trapping can be a blast. Just hope we have a wolf season soon.

14-Feb-24
I’ve got 1 point

14-Feb-24
If they are going to be released it needs to be in urban areas. They need to learn to deal with them as well as rural people. It would help control feral cats, dogs running loose, etc as well.

14-Feb-24
Governor Dodge State Park is about 50 miles from Masdison . The park being this close to Madison makes this a perfect place to release a few wolf . In addation to all of Madison enjoying the wolf near by the campers will appreciate this enhanced camping experience.

15-Feb-24
I agree, the libitards of Madison need some enhanced camping experiences from all wildlife. Maybe a big cat, some rabid coon, etc.

15-Feb-24
I have data. Michigan just completed a 4 year study on Deer mortality population etc. You can find it at Michigan Tech site and DNR site. Bear fawn predation accounts for 19% fawn loss. Coyote predation accounts for 23% fawn loss. Winter kill that is fawn loss year over year is 28% that mostly is what they call secondary loss due to stress on the deer in winter yards being harassed by Wolves and or Coyotes causing fat stores to be lost and mortality. Bobcat figures in the fawn loss at 7%. They even looked at Crossbow use and they determined that accounts for 20,000 more hunters active hunting before and after Rifle season. They can't know but assume 20% of that number accounts for 35% increased kill over the seasons which in turn causes pressure on migrating or yarded deer. Harvest rates for 2023 Rifle season was down a average of 35% over the whole of the UP. The recommendations considered this spring are. #1 Hope for Wolf management. #2 A large increase almost double the amount of Bear tags issues. #3. Either a bounty system or other ways to encourage Coyote harvest. #4 Better state lands management to protect wintering areas and tax incentives for private landowners to do the same. #6 Reduce or completely eliminate antlerless tags across all seasons for no less than 5 years. #7. Adjust season guidelines to reduce harvest after Dec 15 when deer migrate and yard at which time they are the most vulnerable outside the rut which in nice words they mean a controlled Crossbow season. So these are the why answers they came up with about such low populations. If you look and add up the percentages of fawn survival to year two which don't include road kills or disease for every 100 fawns born between 20-23 will see the next year. They accept this number but most of the study commission believe it to be closer to 15% year over year. That's 15 making it to primary breeding age at 1.5 years old. And out of those 15 the average is 9 female 6 male. That is such a low recruitment that if they were any other species it would land them on the endangered list for sure. It may come to that in the UP where the population is not sustainable the way things are and the Wolf lovers will get them listed as endangered species up there and some liberal judge will shut it down. They do it with Salamanders and butterflies and Owls and flowers and fish and minnows and Turtles and and and. What is gonna stop them from doing the same to native deer?

15-Feb-24
As far as crossbow use in the UP,, after Dec 1, only qualified disabled hunters can use one, with permit. That legally cuts alot out of late season. M NRC rules..... Not DNR. I also have the same data. MI going to increase bear tags , but NRC wants fewer..... DNR wants increase in cat tags, NRC is against it.... geesh

15-Feb-24
Sounds like a huge power struggle

15-Feb-24
They sound like these upcoming meetings may be fruitfull. Basically putting together a new committee based on science finally. Hopefully it's a shift the right way. Conundrum for sure

15-Feb-24
I heard 2 wolf collars were placed on a Northwoods bar jukebox during this past rifle season. 5-6 years ago I believe 8 wolves were killed in a field around Tripoli. I remember the wardens checking local deer camps looking for tips.

15-Feb-24
Yep

• Sitka Gear