Bow Crazy 23-Feb-24
casekiska 23-Feb-24
Pasquinell 23-Feb-24
Pete-pec 23-Feb-24
Hoot 24-Feb-24
Bow Crazy 26-Feb-24
BigEight 05-Mar-24
15-Feb-24
I have several private land owners whose property we hunt . We try to take care of all of them with various gifts , Tonight we just got back from taking one of them out for dinner and drinks . They were so appreciative of it and wanted to help pay and said we owe them nothing . My friend and I just had to explain once again how much we appreciate the privilege of hunting on their land and how we are so blessed to have a friend who gives us this great gift especially when it is only a half mile from our houses . We also offer them any help they need on the farm , Just a reminder to thank your land owners . What a great evening enjoyed by all of the families

16-Feb-24
When I hunted permission farms I always offered to help with anything needed. You could tell that some landowners really appreciated the offer and the follow through if they needed help. Now that I have my own land I understand even more. No one has time when there is work to be done. But they somehow have plenty of time come hunting season.

16-Feb-24
Rut - your comments sure hit the nail on the head. I've had guys who hunted my property who were very reluctant to come and help with projects or if they did they made it seem as if I was imposing by asking. And then there have been some who made no effort to help in any way at all. These fellows, of course, no longer hunt my property.

I wasn't able to become a landowner until I was well into my fifties, so I spent many years having to ask permission to hunt. Then every year I, so to speak, paid my dues and gave a helping hand when I could. It just seemed like the right thing to do. I know I certainly appreciated the opportunity to hunt others property but I don't think I fully realized the significance of the access permission gift until I was on the gifting end of the equation. Only then did I fully realize that when someone is hunting another's property with permission the experience can be a win-win for both parties. Everyone just has to be on the up 'n up and do what they know in their hearts is the right thing.

16-Feb-24
I have 3 properties that I have all exclusive rights to hunt, 2 have small cabins on, all year long I do curtesy checks and mow their lawns when they can't, I remove trees if needed and fallen branches from their driveways, each time I check on their property I sent them text messages with pictures attached, they really like that.

16-Feb-24
When my kids were young I used to take them to the landowners house and have them ask for permission to hunt. After season was over we would then go to their house and thank them for letting us hunt. Only one of the land owners would ever take any venison. They all really like seeing my kids when they were younger, seeing the pictures and hearing them tell their hunting stories. My daughter was ten when she started and it was cute seeing here ask for permission and thank them.

A little respect and kindness goes a long way. I did then and still do own property next to these neighbors, but still ask if I want to go on theirs. There are some neighbors who think because they have been there for 30-40 years, or more, that they have the "right" to hunt anywhere anytime.

They used to tell me that I didn't have to ask anymore, but I still made the kids do it. Hopefully what I taught my kids, and set the example for, will stay with them for the rest of their lives.

16-Feb-24
Gunny, I did that the last time I had private property to hunt. Put it this way, leasing had not really got going outside of Buffalo county at the time yet, so it has been awhile. Last time I asked, they brought up leasing and I said thank you for your time and went totally public which I own anyway. Wish I could manage it.

16-Feb-24
I will say it helps weed out the freeloaders. I won't stop being friends with someone because they "can't" help on the property. However, They will no longer be a hunting buddy.

16-Feb-24
I always helped farmers with any thing they had to do. They told me I didn't have to help or even ask to hunt, but it was my way of saying I appreciate being able to hunt their property. After the Barneveld tornado hit I was there to help cut trees and pick up debris. I'll remember this until the day I die. I found some pictures on my stand of a person I knew with the American flag hanging from a branch above it.

23-Feb-24
From a landowners point of view, I started asking for help from our hunters, including family, on all of my bigger projects. I do a ton of work on our place because I love doing it, and I enjoying working by myself to some extent. I realized a few years ago that one of the main reason I got so little help was because I didn't ask for help. Or I'd asked only a few times a year, sometimes very short notice. Now, I ask all the time, give as much notice as I can, and I am getting more help than ever. No one is complaining, and all seem to be very happy to help out. This year I am making a list and assigning projects for others to do. That is a big step for me, because I think I need to be there. BC

23-Feb-24
BC - As, also, a land owner who lets others hunt his land I sure agree with your sentiments on asking others for help! Unfortunately I have not had the cooperation you seem to have had. Over the years, getting others to help has been sketchy and hasn't worked all that well. And yes, I enjoy working by myself but some jobs just go a lot easier with help. Not sure which way I am going to go on this but I'm thinking I need to move in a new direction. We'll see what happens,...don't want to be a jerk about it but jeeeeeez, sometimes a guy could use some help!

23-Feb-24
Bill- if they knew about the 180 - 200 class bucks you are hiding and have pictures of, you'd have trucks lined up to "help". HA

23-Feb-24
Bill, you know what direction you head? Ask friends. Friends like me aren't wanting anything in return.....besides the friendship. I'd be glad to help with anything.

24-Feb-24
Friends like me aren't wanting anything in return.....besides the friendship. I'd be glad to help with anything. -----Same here Bill.

26-Feb-24
Last year I kept track of all my time and expense related to managing our land. Holy smokes, not showing that to the wife... I let they guys/gal know, in general conversation, what those numbers are. It has opened up some good discussions. It educates them on what is going into the property, what it will take to keep the property where it's at, and what it will take to make it even better. BC

05-Mar-24
Some people just don't realize the work and money it takes to keep up a property. I love good company because it's hard to find. However, I don't like getting taken advantage of either. The only person who gets to hunt my land without doing any work is my dad. He did enough for me when I was kid.

• Sitka Gear