CaptMike 20-Feb-24
WI Shedhead 20-Feb-24
Huntcell 21-Feb-24
Pacer1975 21-Feb-24
CaptMike 21-Feb-24
Huntcell 21-Feb-24
>>>--arrow1--> 22-Feb-24
16-Feb-24
This the season for western states to squash hunters dreams one application at a time. Yesterday, No super tags for me in Wyoming, and today no moose or caribou in Alaska. Come on Arizona elk!!!

17-Feb-24
Any raffle tag odds our stupid. Keep building pts. And it will happen. Drew az. Elk 6a, 4a with 2 pts.

17-Feb-24
Pacer, Curious how big of a elk did your friend get last fall with the Nevada 131 tag?

17-Feb-24
I have 23 preference pts for Wy shiras moose and the people at Huntin Fool advised me to save my money because I will never draw the area I want.

17-Feb-24
I feel very lucky to be out WY as years back I drew a moose and sheep in the random pool. I remember the good ole days when I had to front literally tens of thousands of $, But you got just about everything back. Now I lose out right close to 2 grand just to stay in the game. But I`m azzhole deep in the game and can`t walk away. Maybe If I can manage to live another 20 yrs and stay relatively decent shape for my age, maybe I can pull a desert or some more big tags??

17-Feb-24
Took me 27 years to draw the unit I wanted in Colorado last year. Anyone wanting to hunt out west should put in for preference points now. Not going to get better.

17-Feb-24

>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo
>>>--arrow1-->'s embedded Photo

17-Feb-24
Mick, he killed a toad in nv. Drew my desert tag after 36 years and punched it. Invest in the draw and it pays off. So Mike Gallo of Gallo wines paid 400k for my desert tag to jump the line. Jersey mikes paid 700k for a mulie tag. Some states are worthless. Pay for gohunt. Goodluck to all.

18-Feb-24
Pacer, What is a toad?

18-Feb-24
A big one

19-Feb-24
drew Arizona elk [17 points] and antelope [5 points] last year and a SD Trophy Bull bison 9 pts. last year. expecting to draw Az elk, Mn bear and Iowa deer this year and or some of the other 27 apps.

19-Feb-24
New baby on the way in August so I'm a points guy only this year, you can't play if you're not in the game. I should draw in AZ in the next 5-6 years for some lower tier units, I'll draw WY in 25, then I'll have to consider cashing in CO or picking something other than elk. With being gone from home, one western hunt a year while the kids are young is about it; decisions decisions.

19-Feb-24
Huntcell nailed it. Pick your best 5 western state draws, play the game, invest 2k/year...tags start spitting out.

20-Feb-24
Please please please!!!!! For those of you getting into the draws for the first time- if you check how many points it takes to get a tag this year, it could be significantly more by the time you actually get draw the hunt. Check a states page and see how many people are putting in ahead of you. Some will have a breakdown of the tags you’re applying for. These states also change things as they go and please and trust me- it’s never ever in a nonresidents favor!!! Colorado is changing its allocation this year and pulling 10% more of the draw tags from the NR pot across the board and I would bet Wyoming is right around the corner with 90/10 allocation. Do some research and know what you’re getting into!!!!!! Just cause your 20, doesn’t mean you’ll get a 20 point tag when your 40!!!!!! And don’t get me started on big 3 tags!!!!!! Been doing the tag game for almost 25 years with a huge portfolio of unused points. pm me if you have any questions I’d love to help

20-Feb-24
Glad I went elk hunting in the 90's.

20-Feb-24
I'll give you guys credit that play the preference points game . Takes alot of time & patience.

Live , there's alot of good OTC Elk hunts out there . Our group of 4 guys have averaged 3 out of 4 during 4 OTC hunts the last 12 years . We are there for the meat but have taken some nice 5 x 5's & 6 x6 ' s .

The only preference points I participated in was for Desert Bighorn & Grizzly Bear .

20-Feb-24
She’d, you are spot on. For the last few years, I have moved further away from drawing with each consecutive year. That is why the people at Huntin Fool advised me to stop applying for more preference points.

20-Feb-24
One thing I’m glad I did for my kids is load them up with points in 4-5 states for about 10 hunts. If they choose to hunt again after they draw it’s gonna be a long long time for thier second hunt. Thier in thier 20s now and as they have time we’ll pull the trigger on them

21-Feb-24
Az is charging CC started today ….looks like I drew Elk tag! 18th year, when I started took afar less points but point creep is real.

21-Feb-24
Congrats hc! I drew with 3 pts 5 years ago. Buddy drew the same unit 2 years in a row. The random pass is sweet. Goodluck. Lots of moisture this year already. Way ahead of ave. In socal already this year.Opener date is peak rut this year.

21-Feb-24
Congrats, Huntcell!

21-Feb-24
actually drew last year but used point guard, then returned the tag and donated it to Wounded Warrior project they said veteran shot a nice 5 x 5 . With my reinstated points I drew this year and could actually donate tag 2 more years and have my points reinstated each time. but I am going use it myself this time.

donated rifle antelope tag last year also. that vetran got a nice antelope. that was random draw tag very slim draw odds 1%. but ok drew Az archery antelope tag 5 years ago mostly because I had lots of points back then. turned in the tags last year because Wife first and probably only grandchild was expected Sept. 18 arrived 15th, so we traveled and spent 2 weeks. got to pick your time to hunt and still be around to hunt again. LoL Good Karma.... the last draw of the year drew a limited entry tag. And a couple months latter , I did go on limited entry bison hunt and shot a B&C bison.

22-Feb-24
Point creep is very real and won't get better. One option that I'm doing is Alberta while I wait for a western tag. A lot of the otc tag units have became a shit show. I'm going on my 4th archery moose hunt this year. I will never draw moose tag in the US. I'm also researching their Elk hunts there. Alberta is a very game rich place to bow hunt. Down side is you have to have a guide or sponsor. But no points to worry about. Congrats to all that drew Good Luck.

• Sitka Gear