bentstick54 25-Feb-24
Kansasclipper 25-Feb-24
Buckdeer 26-Feb-24
bentstick54 26-Feb-24
sitO 26-Feb-24
16-Feb-24

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
Read for yourself! HB 2079 is attached. Proposing to hand out multiple “free” deer permits…like they were candy. Also, gonna move rifle season up to start the Wednesday right “before” Thanksgiving and thus a 3 week rifle season duration instead of the typ. 2 week duration.

If passed, it would be a huge BLOW to KDWP’s budget and their management of our state resource as well as loss to a portion of “our” coveted archery only season.

The committee members are the same as listed in recent other HB posts. So please e-mail, write or call these rep’s. as well as your own state rep. to let them know you OPPOSE this bill!!!!

If you decide to do nothing nor act in anyway, then don’t BITCH about the outcome and effects from this later!!!!

16-Feb-24
Crested up above there is that saying people have a choice of getting an extra tag to shoot 2 bucks in the same year?

16-Feb-24
Yep, 2 bucks….1 free, 1 purchased and 1 free doe.

16-Feb-24
I’m confused. 2079 was introduced in January of ‘23 by Webster Roth I believe. In the original language rifle hunters would get a 19 day season most years, but a 12 day season in years Thanksgiving is on the 28th. After I tipped him off and told him what I thought about it he amended it to read the Tuesday before Thanksgiving to the second full weekend in December, making it 20 days and cleaning up the 28th issue. Then it faded away and there were zero updates on the bill page as to its progress. Now the bill page includes the original language from last year and zero progress since then. The other bills have notes and amendments attached to them as things play out. This still says nothing since January ‘23. I mentioned in the other thread that I received a message from someone involved that Corbet had stuck something into the budget meeting for the Friday opener. Similar to what was posted today. Still nothing new on the 2079 bill page though. Are we actually talking about 2079 or are they squeezing it in elsewhere? I’m assuming they’re not going to give up two days of rifle either and this would mean three full weekends are open (17 day season)?

16-Feb-24
Deer numbers seem to be dropping in quite a few areas in Kansas as well as mature bucks so let’s just throw another buck tag in and extend the rifle season. Seems like they don’t care about the deer herd up there anymore and for sure don’t care about the future.

16-Feb-24
Got some clarification…

“They are squeezing in part of 2079 to KDWP budget. A backdoor way of getting a bill passed without introducing the bill. Trying to hide it in hopes that the budget passes and nobody notices the amendment to make rifle season earlier.”

Takeaway from that is it’s not actually HB2079 to worry about at the moment. Let your reps know that there’s an amendment inside the KDWP budget.

17-Feb-24
Is there anyway legally to sue Corbett in a class action lawsuit? Almost like insider trading? If so I will donate to it.

17-Feb-24
1/2 hr after sunset will be a death nail for many a cautious buck.

17-Feb-24
It's for those wild warry failure pile trained barnyard bucks...cause ya know that mature bucks don't visit sadness spreaders during daylight ;?)

17-Feb-24

Thornton's embedded Photo
I'd donate to get rid of that fat ***

17-Feb-24

He reminds me of the corrupt senator on the movie 'Shooter'. This scene is right before Mark Wahlberg shoots him

17-Feb-24
It's always been a 1/2 hour after dark. Does anyone know what the bylaws are on how they can get removed from the board and how they get put on board,terms etc.

17-Feb-24
Oh OK... it ends at sunset here in CT. It used to be 1/2 after many years ago, and that is a magic time of day.

17-Feb-24
Actually, shooting hours used to be 1/2 before sunrise to sunset. It was changed to 1/2 after sunset sometime in the late 80's or maybe the early 90's. We had a local game warden that threatened to write tickets if you were outside your vehicle with a bow outside the legal hunting hours. After hunter pressure the hours were changed.

17-Feb-24
Actually, shooting hours used to be 1/2 before sunrise to sunset. It was changed to 1/2 after sunset sometime in the late 80's or maybe the early 90's. We had a local game warden that threatened to write tickets if you were outside your vehicle with a bow outside the legal hunting hours. After hunter pressure the hours were changed.

18-Feb-24
I hear plenty of shots go off 10 - 15 minutes after sunset each and every year. You'll never beat a cheater.

18-Feb-24
Maybe they could add an amendment to that and reintroduce wolves and grizzlies.

18-Feb-24

Attached is the anticipated financial impact of this bill on KDWP around this time last year….$604K

18-Feb-24
I just got off the phone with Rep Blex. He and Rep Carpenter are very aware of all the shenanigans of Corbet. They are on top of all of this. One thing he told me to make others aware of, if Corbet cannot get his way with this, he will put this to committee and try to get the Senate involved. Let your senators know what you think of Corbet and his backdoor hustling. Rep Blex asked me to contact our local Senator, who I also know well, and tell him to not be duped by Corbet’s attempts for selfish gain. My senator is a good man, but he’s not an outdoorsman and this is not in his wheelhouse at all.

I was told some other interesting information about Rep Corbet that I’d rather not share on a public forum. Pm if any of you are interested….

18-Feb-24
Why would you not share it??? He is a public figure. Trying to use his position in politics to get his way.

18-Feb-24
Strategy….

19-Feb-24
I caught wind, from another forum, of all these asinine bills this legislative session. I sent an email to the committees and my reps calling out the bs. It’s really too bad that these bills are coming up every year.

19-Feb-24
If you would, again post the contact information for all that need contacted. Secondly, if anyone wants to post a letter (email) that could be copy and pasted to make it easier for others to send it might be helpful... I have yet to send an email, but will be

19-Feb-24
Dan….see committee contact info. (Phone, Work & Home Emails) below. Same cast of characters as the other bills currently in play.

Ag Committee Members Contact Info. below:

Chair - Ken Corbet Phone: 785 296-7679 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

VC - Joe Seiwert Phone: 785 296-7647 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

Sydney Carlin Phone: 785 296-7657 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

John Alcala Phone: 785 296-7371 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

Lewis Bloom Phone: 785 296-7654 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

Pam Curtis Phone: 785-296-7430 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

Randy Garber Phone: 785 296-7665 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

Trevor Jacobs Phone: 785 296-7616 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

Lisa Moser Phone: 785 296-7637 Email: [email protected] Email: [email protected]

19-Feb-24
Big times coming here in four days folks!

19-Feb-24
Yes sir…I’m really looking forward to it. A good ole time is what it’s going to be.

20-Feb-24
When I said always I guess I meant back as far as most of old guys remember.Send those emails people.

22-Feb-24
https://greatbendpost.com/posts/9cac8e3c-37aa-44a3-a59f-29da561de9a9

22-Feb-24
I was hoping not to see it was recommend to pass bill.As a landowner I don't support and doubt if very many do.If they make it to where they can't be sold or traded for any gain maybe that will prevent them from being used more than just in family.They should have told them they would give 5 antlerless tags to any farmer that requested them.Which they do or at least I haven't heard of them turning down crop damage request.

22-Feb-24
Crop damage permits have never been used much. Seems like a lame excuse.

22-Feb-24
These "T-tags" would not be used on doe's, don't kid yourself.

22-Feb-24
Ksgobbler, I read your link. Corbet is banking on sympathy for farmers who have losses due to deer eating crops. I think a pretty simple cure for most farmers who actually want to lessen damages due to deer would be to simply let people hunt. Seems like they already could do something about it if they wanted to.

https://greatbendpost.com/posts/9cac8e3c-37aa-44a3-a59f-29da561de9a9

22-Feb-24
I agree with 3 posts above but just saying,tell them to quit whining about crop damage as there is damage permits in place for them to reduce numbers so no reason for all the other BS.

24-Feb-24
It's never been about crop damage in the first place. It has always been about being able to sell deer, being able to sell hunts, being able to lease/buy more ground to sell hunts on, being able to gain access to more private acres with promises of big premiums from tag sales on top of lease money. They want to the t-tags for their filthy rich clients that fly into the state to hunt a deer like it's a trip to the coffee shop for working class people, something they do on a whim. They want to be legal but don't want to be bothered with having to apply for a tag at certain times of the year, they are above doing such in their neighborhood, paying $10k for a tag is pocket change.

The next time you hear a farmer complaining about the amount of crop damage to their land caused by deer, have them explain to you how much damage geese do to their crops? How much does the other migrating birds eat up? Quail? Pheasant? Turkey? Other four legged critters? They won't have an answer for you because you cannot sell hunting licenses, stamps, or other special permits and make thousands of dollars off them like you could t-tag deer permits.

It has always been about prostituting deer out for big money, allowing commercial hunting to exploiting wildlife to the highest bidder with no restrictions or limits on how many deer hunts they sell.

24-Feb-24
We should have fought harder in 1994 and 1995. This is a few paragraphs from the newspaper in 1994:

In an effort to gear up for this fall's seasons, Kansas wildlife officials have already drafted the framework for the issuance of non-resident tags. Working on the legislated guidelines that permits could only be issued in units that had leftover resident tags the year before, and that the number of non-resident tags make up no more than 5 percent of the tags allotted.

Prospective hunters should remember that both units are fairly small and public land is at a minimum. The best hunting will be on private lands and access isn't easy to come by.

As is the case with Kansas residents, non-residents will have to apply for their tags in the summer. A computer drawing will choose the lucky hunters. Even if the electronic process is kind, a non-resident hunter will only be able to draw a tag every other year.

24-Feb-24
If they'd have just kept it at "every other year" it would have cut down on leasing.

24-Feb-24
And 5%

24-Feb-24
That was a sad year for Kansas deer hunters and has led to a slow death of the number of Kansas resident hunters. I hated it then and feel the same today. I remember the days when we had left over RESIDENT tags.

24-Feb-24
I don't remember hunting before 1995. I didn't start deer hunting until 1998. But there were very few NR hunters at that time. The hunting was insane.

But as a person that loves to hunt Colorado. I do believe that NR should be allowed to hunt KS. I don't have the exact number. But I think Colorado at a 75/25 split is pretty fair. Or even an 80/20 split. The part that hurts KS the most about the NR coming in is that we don't have much public land compared to a state like Colorado. So unless as residents we open our checkbooks, we don't have many places to hunt.

24-Feb-24
I shot two bucks back in 97' I think. The 2nd was on a leftover tag.

24-Feb-24
The fact that we don't have public land is why it should have been kept at 5%. That is why everything is leased. The hunting was insane in the 80's. Not 1997. The amount of regulation changes in 1997 was insane.

25-Feb-24
My first archery deer hunt in Kansas was in 1974 and I hunted for two years until 1976 before I got my first shot and saw my first deer from the stands so deer still weren't that plentiful. I did get that buck and was elated. Now if I don't see at least a half dozen or more it is a less than good hunt. We need to support our F & G with tag purchases so they can continue to improve our deer herd and bring turkeys back to a healthy population.

25-Feb-24
Ben what has Kansas did in the last 30 years that has improved our deer herd?

25-Feb-24
We need to get back to letting our F&G manage our wildlife instead of our legislative officials.

25-Feb-24
Brian you will have to go back 4 decades.

26-Feb-24
I don't see how any of the western states with millions of public land acres can be compared to Kansas.Even if you did NM gives way less than 20% to NR and some of the other states like WY and AZ may take 25 years of building points to get a tag.

26-Feb-24
Yeah I remember Jeff. Agreed Randy. A truer comparison would be like Texas where there is only 5% public land. Kansas only has 1% or less public land. We have become another Texas, where you have to own land, or have lots of expendable money to hunt anymore.

26-Feb-24

sitO's Link
More publicity on the threats, and subsequent retaliatory Bills.

• Sitka Gear